Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 6:49:40 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf
Ever hear of Burt Rutan...?

Of course..., but that's decades of R & D from 1945. In 1945 you're talking "cutting edge" technology. And while the Japanese had some brilliant theorists and designers, their engineering and other developmental strength was lacking. The difference between an "experimental prototype" and a "combat-ready fighter" is pretty substantial.

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 31
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 8:04:02 PM   
pauk

i think that this ac flown with good pilot would be a real wonder weapon and enemy air offensive against Home Island would be history if Japanese just produced this ac on time and hired him:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 32
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 8:48:32 PM   
panda124c

FYI

Pusher A/C were not that uncommon.

http://avia.russian.ee/gallery/j21.html

http://www.theplanpage.com/esp/xp54.htm

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher1/p52.html

http://www.planes-and-tanks.com/HangarC/koolhoven.htm

And I am sure there are others. So this was not as a radical design as one would think.

(in reply to pauk)
Post #: 33
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 9:13:09 PM   
bradfordkay

" Have you seen this; Me-262 taking of from Berlin in 2006!
Me-262 Flies again!"

Yeah, that plane was built here in Washington state. A year or two ago there was a good article in one of the aviation magazines about the project to rebuild a few Me262s. IIRC, they had contracts for about four buyers...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 34
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 11:14:03 PM   
Miller

Surely the Shinden was to flimsy to mount 4 x 30mm cannon?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 35
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 11:15:06 PM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: dtravel

From what I understand, much of Japanese industry was literally "cottage industry".  Everything was sub-contracted out to the zillionith degree, and much of the actual production work was literally done in the workers' living rooms by hand.  It was ridiculously inefficient and depended on an unbroken transport net to keep all the little bit supplied and move the various sub-sub-subassemblies up the chain.

Absolutely true, and a real problem for Japanese industrial expansion. In the US when the major suppliers needed to "sub-contract" there were thousands of small and medium-sized firms ready to pick up a share of the load. There was even a bit of a "scandal" as the medium-sized subcontractors picked up the lion's share of the contracts and some of the small ones hollared to their Congressmen. But Ford, GM, Westinghouse, DuPont and the rest of the "big boys" were able to win their arguement that only the larger sub-contractors had the size and capability to meet the ever-faster delivery deadlines. The War came first, and Congress and the "little guys" had to "suck it up" and do without.

In Japan, there were the major industrial combines (the Zaibatsu) and nothing but (very) little guys. Instead of one medium-sized subcontractor mass producing identical sub-assemblies, you had hundreds of converted garages and shops literally hand-making sub-assemblies. Raw materials supply, transportation, and quality control became a nightmare, and tons of parts had to be rejected at the final assembly phase. It was terribly inefficient and wasteful.

Manufacturing chains like: one company shapes the metal into cylinders, second company hollows the cylinders out, third company draws metal into tubes, fourth company cuts tubes into casing size, fifth company crimps and shapes casings, sixth company brass plates casings, now they get shipped off to the seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth companies to be loaded, then 11 thru 14 to be fitted in to ammo belts.

Then there is making the weapons. One company cuts wood in to blocks, another shapes it in to stock shapes, a third varnishes it. Rifle barrels follow another chain, the firing actions a third, etc. etc.

You can imagine the possibilities for aircraft manufacture. (Or, maybe not. )

(I also seem to remember something about problems with the fuses of Japanese grenades. They had to be struck against a hard suface to trigger them and sometimes they detonated immediately when the soldier did so. Since the only hard suface around was usually the soldier's helmet.... )

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

Post #: 36
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 11:29:53 PM   
Feinder

quote:

I also seem to remember something about problems with the fuses of Japanese grenades. They had to be struck against a hard suface to trigger them and sometimes they detonated immediately when the soldier did so.  Since the only hard suface around was usually the soldier's helmet

That's interesting.  And it explains why in "Letters from Iwo Jima-To-Whatever" that they banged the grenades on their helmets before blowing themselves up.

Hm.  I was wondering about that (I didn't know if it was some sort of salute or something).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 37
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/2/2007 11:49:25 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

Manufacturing chains like: one company shapes the metal into cylinders, second company hollows the cylinders out, third company draws metal into tubes, fourth company cuts tubes into casing size, fifth company crimps and shapes casings, sixth company brass plates casings, now they get shipped off to the seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth companies to be loaded, then 11 thru 14 to be fitted in to ammo belts.

In a way it was worse. It was more on the order of 1000 individual little shops each trying to produce finished "super-chargers" or "wheel assemblies". All supposedly "identical" and "ready for installation". Needless to say, "identical" they weren't..., and large numbers had to be totally re-built to be usable at all...., while half the rest were scrapped.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 38
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/3/2007 5:03:41 AM   
ctangus

quote:

ORIGINAL: PzB

I agree to that Mike, but it should be possible to re-tool factories instead of creating new ones!

If A6M8 production was halted in early 45 to prepare for production of the Reppu, it wouldn't require more skilled labour.

An easy solution (at least in concept - maybe not in the code) would to be get rid of the auto-upgrades of airplane factories. It would make the Japanese player have to choose between preparing to produce an upcoming model (while using supply) or continuing to produce an existing, though deficient, model. I think it would make aircraft production rates more plausible and more closely resemble what happened IRL.

As it stands right now I can produce several hundred A6M5s a month and then magically I'm producing several hundred A6M8s and then again magically several hundred Reppus. No cost at all for re-tooling. I'll readilly admit I've tried to take advantage of the auto-upgrades of factories in my Japanese games, but it still doesn't seem right.

Take your game PzB - as well as you've played you certainly should be doing far better economically than the Japanese did IRL. I'm sure I'll never do as well. But still, you're producing an ungodly amount of Reppus right now.

(in reply to PzB74)
Post #: 39
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/3/2007 7:22:26 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ctangus
As it stands right now I can produce several hundred A6M5s a month and then magically I'm producing several hundred A6M8s and then again magically several hundred Reppus. No cost at all for re-tooling.

Excellent point! The decision to bring the production line to a halt even just to change to a new "model" of the same aircraft was always a major one, as it required a shutdown and retooling and installing new jigs and then trying to get the line back up to it's previous speed. Changing over to an entirely new aircraft design meant retooling and often re-designing the entire production line..., which could take months.

The ultimate example of the reluctance to shut down production was probably the B-29. Rather than dealing with the delay involved, the US actually flew brand new B-29's fresh off the lines in Wichita immediately to an "upgrade center" where they had brand new parts stripped off and replaced with newer equipment, parts, and instraments before being sent overseas. Rediculously wastefull and expensive, but it kept up high output, and the Americans (unlike everyone else) could afford it.

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 40
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/3/2007 10:33:20 AM   
dtravel

If you're worried about Japanese over-production in PBEM games, the first thing you need to do is remove all the extra R&D factories put in for the AI.  Like AKs and APs, Japan has in game two to three times what they had IRL because it was "a better game design decision" than actually coming up with an AI routine that would be merely ten years obsolete instead of the decapitated thing we currently have.

Post #: 41
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/3/2007 3:45:44 PM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

If you're worried about Japanese over-production in PBEM games, the first thing you need to do is remove all the extra R&D factories put in for the AI.  Like AKs and APs, Japan has in game two to three times what they had IRL because it was "a better game design decision" than actually coming up with an AI routine that would be merely ten years obsolete instead of the decapitated thing we currently have.

Can I have a big "AMEN" to that Brothers and Sisters? You hit the nail on the head there, dtravel.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 42
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/4/2007 5:49:39 AM   
ctangus

quote:

If you're worried about Japanese over-production in PBEM games, the first thing you need to do is remove all the extra R&D factories put in for the AI. Like AKs and APs, Japan has in game two to three times what they had IRL because it was "a better game design decision" than actually coming up with an AI routine that would be merely ten years obsolete instead of the decapitated thing we currently have.

I've never seen the extra R&D factories to be a big problem in the game. They still need 1000 points of supply each to be repaired.

For example - let's say I'm producing 100 A6M2s and want to increase that to 200. I could do that two ways:

1. Increase existing factories. Initial cost = 10K supply to expand & cost to repair = 100K. Total 110K supply.

2. Convert an R&D factory. Initial cost = 0 + cost to repair = 100K. Total 100K supply.

I doubt that 10% extra supply cost would mean much in most games. And it's balanced out slightly by the fact that there's now no chance to research the plane whose R&D factory was converted.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 43
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/4/2007 8:54:55 AM   
dtravel

quote:

quote:

If you're worried about Japanese over-production in PBEM games, the first thing you need to do is remove all the extra R&D factories put in for the AI. Like AKs and APs, Japan has in game two to three times what they had IRL because it was "a better game design decision" than actually coming up with an AI routine that would be merely ten years obsolete instead of the decapitated thing we currently have.

I've never seen the extra R&D factories to be a big problem in the game. They still need 1000 points of supply each to be repaired.

For example - let's say I'm producing 100 A6M2s and want to increase that to 200. I could do that two ways:

1. Increase existing factories. Initial cost = 10K supply to expand & cost to repair = 100K. Total 110K supply.

2. Convert an R&D factory. Initial cost = 0 + cost to repair = 100K. Total 100K supply.

I doubt that 10% extra supply cost would mean much in most games. And it's balanced out slightly by the fact that there's now no chance to research the plane whose R&D factory was converted.

But what happens if you leave the factories alone and the new plane type enters production? All the factories producing the previous, now replaced, plane type automatically upgrade to the new type at no cost. So Japan is now instantly producing the new plane enmass for free, plus has all these formerly R&D factories now producing the aircraft.

The player doesn't have to do any factory conversions, he's production simply increases continuously throughout the war for free as those R&D factories come on line.

(in reply to ctangus)
Post #: 44
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/4/2007 12:38:15 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay
Yeah, that plane was built here in Washington state. A year or two ago there was a good article in one of the aviation magazines about the project to rebuild a few Me262s. IIRC, they had contracts for about four buyers...

In the 1990s, the Marine Corps had their Me-262 restored for static display. During the restoration, detailed plans were made of the airframe and the airworthy ones being built are all new duplicates built from those plans. They did make one compromise and used GE engines since the original Jumos would be very expensive to reproduce as well as dangerous and unrelaible. The GE engines are installed in housings that look like Jumo 004s though.

Here is the web page for the builders: Stormbirds

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 45
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/5/2007 2:42:21 AM   
wdolson

quote:

Excellent point! The decision to bring the production line to a halt even just to change to a new "model" of the same aircraft was always a major one, as it required a shutdown and retooling and installing new jigs and then trying to get the line back up to it's previous speed. Changing over to an entirely new aircraft design meant retooling and often re-designing the entire production line..., which could take months.

The ultimate example of the reluctance to shut down production was probably the B-29. Rather than dealing with the delay involved, the US actually flew brand new B-29's fresh off the lines in Wichita immediately to an "upgrade center" where they had brand new parts stripped off and replaced with newer equipment, parts, and instraments before being sent overseas. Rediculously wastefull and expensive, but it kept up high output, and the Americans (unlike everyone else) could afford it.

There were several US aircraft that were reworked this way. B-17s were reworked in Cheyenne Wyoming. The late G model tail gun position is called the Cheyenne Turret because it was one of the upgrades done there.

Lockheed designed a version of the P-38 with Merlins that was much lighter and much faster, but the government canned the project because they didn't want to take the time to retool.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

Post #: 46
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/5/2007 3:14:06 AM   
ctangus

quote:

quote:

quote:

But what happens if you leave the factories alone and the new plane type enters production? All the factories producing the previous, now replaced, plane type automatically upgrade to the new type at no cost. So Japan is now instantly producing the new plane enmass for free, plus has all these formerly R&D factories now producing the aircraft.

The player doesn't have to do any factory conversions, he's production simply increases continuously throughout the war for free as those R&D factories come on line.

Well, if you leave the factories alone you still have to repair the R&D factories at 1000 points/factory point - they start the game fully damaged. If you want to produce 100 Tonys a month you still have to spend at least 100,000 supply. 10% difference at most.

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 47
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/10/2007 12:50:52 AM   
grossmetzger

here is the mentioned video of the shinden..
shindeninflight
(use the free-option)
bela

< Message edited by grossmetzger -- 7/10/2007 3:11:34 PM >

Mein Auftrag: Vernichten.....

(in reply to Bobthehatchit)
Post #: 48
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/10/2007 11:16:24 AM   
TheElf

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheElf
Ever hear of Burt Rutan...?

Of course..., but that's decades of R & D from 1945. In 1945 you're talking "cutting edge" technology. And while the Japanese had some brilliant theorists and designers, their engineering and other developmental strength was lacking. The difference between an "experimental prototype" and a "combat-ready fighter" is pretty substantial.

Agreed. Not to mention lightweight composites and blemish free skins. My point wasn't to say it would definitely have been a top performer, just to contest a thoughtless judgement that it wouldn't perform well at all. It can't be proven either way, unless someone actually built one to specs...

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

Post #: 49
RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" - 7/10/2007 11:46:13 AM   
Yakface

The Axis definitely had the coolest looking aircraft of WWII Shinden and Me 262 were streaks ahead, in aesthetic terms, of anything the Allies produced 

(in reply to TheElf)
Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Kyushu J7W "Shinden" Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI