Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions - 1/14/2008 11:00:18 PM   
Koniev

Hi everybody -

I slipped over from the WiTP forum where I'm in the process of falling off the "learning cliff".

I used to play PacWar and WIR a lot. I'm studying WiTP as a "graduate course" in the Pacific Campaign.

I would like to find a more advanced WIR, And find a western front game. From what I've read so far TOAWIII seems to work for both. My questions are:

A] What is the learning curve like? If anybody has played WiTP, I'd like to see a comparison to that.

B] If I buy the download/physical setup, how many patches, upgrades etc. am I going to need and how difficult is the install for the game and the mods?

C] Rate the Ai as a learning tool and as an opponent.

D] How accurate historically is TOAWIII?

I realize that many of these questions are matters of opinion, but that's OK. I find that wargamers are inherantly honest and forthright.

Thanks all - please keep in mind my original wants and feel free to suggest another game if you think it fits better.

"Those who don't remember History are condemned to relive it" George Santayana
Post #: 1
RE: HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions - 1/15/2008 12:52:04 AM   
SMK-at-work

IMO:
A/ the learning curve is pretty steep - it's a complicated game with a lot to learn.  But once you have learned it's difficult to forget :)
B/ One.  The patches are cumulative so you only ever need to apply the latest one.
C/ AI is pretty good as far as AI's go.  Much depends upon the scenario designer tho, and how well he's given teh AI it's objectives, etc.
D/ Pretty good, but again it mainly depends on the scenario designer.  I haven't found a bad one yet.....but then I've only played a small proportion of those available.

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 2
RE: HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions - 1/15/2008 1:24:32 AM   
Dr. Foo

[A] This game is far easier than WITP. WITP imo, is for the ultra micro manager who wants to be everyone along the chain of command from the lowly supply clerk all the way up to the President, Emperor, Prime Minster, or Exulted Leader.

TOAW handles a lot of the book keeping for you allowing you to concentrate on winning the battle. WITP is a huge game with a very large scope, TOAW is not as large.

[B] patches answered above.

[C] The AI is good to learn on but once you learn the game it can be beaten more often than not, nothing compares to PBEM.

[D] Depends on the designer some take great care in ensuring accuracy, others not so much, and then there are the hypothetical scenario which can be far-reaching.  

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 3
RE: HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions - 1/15/2008 11:51:07 AM   
golden delicious

I realise these have been answered before but I'll add a little.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Koniev

A] What is the learning curve like?

You can just sit down and start playing (which I found wasn't the case with WitP). Also, being good at wargames is probably a big help. However there are quite a few mechanisms which you will have to get used to.

quote:

C] Rate the Ai as a learning tool and as an opponent.

Tactically good, strategically poor.

quote:

D] How accurate historically is TOAWIII?

Depends on the scenario. Put it this way: if you work at it, you can accurately simulate a wide range of conflicts and campaigns. Most scenarios, however, haven't seen that much attention.

Before Rhinobones chimes in, I'll point out that TOAW can also be used for intellectually interesting fictional scenarios, which are good for competition play with no historical context.

< Message edited by golden delicious -- 1/15/2008 11:52:02 AM >

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to Koniev)
Post #: 4
RE: HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions - 1/15/2008 12:04:53 PM   
Raver508

I must say I found the TOAW learning curve much harder that WITP, but that may just be me.  There are certainly things I'm still learning in TOAW though, and that's not the case with WITP, so TOAW certainly has superior replayability in my opinion.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 5
RE: HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions - 1/15/2008 12:52:49 PM   
Koniev

Well. Thanks gentlemen. I don't think I'll get TOAW right away, I'm still deciding if I like WITP. There's a lot of scut work in WITP. Sounds like TOAW is better in that respect but with a fair learing curve of it's own.

Words to ponder.

Thanks again.

"Those who don't remember History are condemned to relive it" George Santayana

(in reply to Raver508)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> HI - I'm interested in TOAWIII -Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI