Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 2:07:12 AM   
Erik Rutins

Incredible - Lincoln gets another term by the slimmest of margins, well done Jon!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 121
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 2:43:12 AM   
ph4n

After following this AAR I can't wait to play this game mysalf...

Btw, how does a turn flow with PBEM?

regards,
fredrik

Post #: 122
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 2:49:40 AM   
chadandpia

I have enjoyed reading all the various AAR's for all the different matrix games over the years that I have enjoyed playing but I have to say that this AAR in particular is the first one that has ever convinced me that I must buy this game on the very day it releases!

< Message edited by chadandpia -- 5/8/2008 2:50:02 AM >

(in reply to ph4n)
Post #: 123
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 3:08:22 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: ph4n

After following this AAR I can't wait to play this game mysalf...

Btw, how does a turn flow with PBEM?

Following is a list of the phases of each turn. The annotation of (Automatic) means that the phase is completely computer controlled.

Union Player loads save

I. Initial Turn
Political and Victory Phase (Automatic)
Economic Activity Phase (Automatic)
Partisan Generation Phase (Automatic)

II. Union Turn
Pre-Movement Logistics Phase (Automatic)
Union Reaction Phase
Union Combat Phase (Automatic)
Union Attrition Phase (Automatic)
Union Movement Phase
Union Post-Movement Logistics Phase (Automatic)
Union Production Phase
Union Reinforcement Phase (Automatic)

Union Player saves game, sends it to Confederate Player

III. Confederate Turn
Pre-Movement Logistics Phase (Automatic)
Confederate Reaction Phase
Confederate Combat Phase (Automatic)
Confederate Attrition Phase (Automatic)
Confederate Movement Phase
Confederate Post-Movement Logistics Phase (Automatic)
Confederate Production Phase
Confederate Reinforcement Phase (Automatic)

Confederate Player saves game, sends it to Union Player

Repeat

(in reply to ph4n)
Post #: 124
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 5:51:51 AM   
PyleDriver

Well the war turned grim after the election. Beauregard is looking to secure Richmond and forced 2 divisions out of New Kent. Losses were light 1700 for me and 80 for the CSA. Theres bad news agian, none of my AC's got initiative. Schoepf a division commander under Sheridian was the only one and overran Fort Smith AR, 2pp's wow...lol...The score is now 1009 for the Union, 998 for the CSA...The clock is ticking on me. CSA recrutments are going to drop badly soon. I need to encounter some big battles...I have my thinking cap turned now, I need to pull a rabbit out it...lol...Spies are everywhere so you'll have to wait to see what happens next. Jacksons army is missing now which makes this a huge turn for me. My bet is he's in VA now...

Jon

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 5/8/2008 6:21:07 AM >

Post #: 125
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 9:26:08 AM   
GShock

Yes Chadan, Pyle and Joel did an outstanding marketing job with this AAR which is technically one of the best i ever saw.

You know what...that most certainly they enjoyed doing it a lot and eheheheh i wouldn't be surprised to learn that they willingly hid the most important part of their information to prevent the other from knowing their plans. :-)

Good job, good job indeed!

PS the turning point of the war, the re-election of Lincoln is very finely simulated in this game. It's the historical reason why Lee took the offensive and went to Gettysburgh.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 126
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 3:13:34 PM   
ratters72

Just a quick question on PBEM (my knowledge here is limited).  I've heard in other games with PBEM it's possible to cheat in the way that you can keep running your turn until you get the desired results.  Does WBtS combat this in some manner?  Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 127
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 5:49:32 PM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratters72

Just a quick question on PBEM (my knowledge here is limited).  I've heard in other games with PBEM it's possible to cheat in the way that you can keep running your turn until you get the desired results.  Does WBtS combat this in some manner?  Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere.

Yes, there is a load count system that tracks how many times your opponent has reloaded his turn. If your opponent is doing this often, it's a sign that he is cheating. You can always save off a turn in progress, but you can only load any one save one time, and must always load the most recent save or the system increases the load count. Same method used in WaW/AWD.

(in reply to ratters72)
Post #: 128
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/8/2008 11:55:21 PM   
Grotius

Wonderful AAR! This game is a must-buy for me, too.

I must have missed the rules about political points. Does a certain score automatically end the game? Also, what happens if Lincoln isn't re-elected -- game over?

Post #: 129
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/9/2008 1:08:04 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Wonderful AAR! This game is a must-buy for me, too.

I must have missed the rules about political points. Does a certain score automatically end the game? Also, what happens if Lincoln isn't re-elected -- game over?

Normally a Lincoln loss means a Confederate victory (level depends on points). A Lincoln win means either a Union win of some kind or a Confederate Marginal victory, depending on if the Confederacy can survive until June 1865.

15.4 The Election of 1864
During the Political and Victory Phase of the Initial Turn in November 1864, the US
Presidential Election is resolved. If the Union player has 1000 or more political points, Abraham Lincoln is re-elected President. Otherwise, Lincoln is defeated by a Democratic Party "peace" candidate. If Lincoln loses the election, the Union player immediately loses 100 political points and then loses an additional 100 political points during the Political and Victory Phase of each following month. If Lincoln wins the election, the Confederate player immediately loses 100 political points and then loses an additional 100 political points during the Political and Victory Phase of each following month. If Richmond, VA (Confederate Capital), is Union controlled in any month, to include November 1864, after Lincoln wins the election, the Confederate player loses an additional 100 political points, for a total of 200 per month, during the Political and Victory Phase.

16.0 Victory Conditions
If during the Political and Victory Phase of the Initial Turn of each month, either player has been reduced to zero political points, the game ends and the other player is declared the winner. If Lincoln loses the election of 1864 and the game has not yet ended, the game will end after the Political and Victory phase of the April 1865 turn. If Lincoln wins the election of 1864 and the game has not yet ended, the game will end after the Political and Victory phase of the July 1865 turn. If the game ends due to one of these time limits, the Confederate player is declared the victor. The level of victory depends on the Political Points of the winning player at the moment that loser reaches zero Political Points or the game ends due to a time limit.
Union Victory Level:
1200+ Decisive, 1000+ Substantive, otherwise Marginal.
Confederate Victory Level:
1000+ Decisive, 800+ Substantive, otherwise Marginal.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/9/2008 1:10:00 AM >

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 130
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/9/2008 5:56:31 AM   
PyleDriver

November brought tough choices for Lincoln. Sherman was recalled to VA to head up the rebuilt AotP in Manassas with orders to engage Beauregard at any cost. Grant moved his army to the outskirts of Atlanta, with his eyes on hurting Lee's army. Sheridian was ordered back to MS to put the west on there heals agian, and flush Stonewall out of hiding. Leon after rebuilding the army in Washington is missing agian...This is going to get good guys. It took me a night's sleep and most of the day to get this move ready...I need to break this open, I have the power, I just need the initiative.

Jon

Post #: 131
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/9/2008 10:33:16 AM   
GShock

Pyle, this is psychologic warfare! :-)

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 132
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/9/2008 8:45:00 PM   
PyleDriver

Early reports are out, the CSA has done many scouting raids to find Union movements and locations. Lyon's whereabouts was not found, but they have an idea by the build up of troops, and supply depots...A note on the game. At this point the CSA's rail system relies on 1 rail line which can transport only 12 units from east to west through Atlanta (thats why Grants pressing a battle there, their population, and factories play in also). The Union can move 56 units from east to west. Plus with my huge naval transport system, I can move that many almost anywhere along the coast. This is a cat and mouse game, hidden movement and suprise are the essence of this game. Can't forget proper leadership and initiatve also...I have the CSA outnumbered 2 to 1 on the frontlines. I need some major battles soon, to break them. The CSA can't replace their losses at this stage of the war...

Jon

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 133
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/10/2008 1:46:51 AM   
chadandpia

Go Rebs!

<--- on the edge of my seat waiting to see if the CSA can pull this one out!

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 134
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/10/2008 3:31:43 AM   
PyleDriver

Chad this may be hard to believe, this is only my 4th game playing as the Union. I've played nearly 70 games, AI and PBEM. I live in Texas, but I hate to loose. This is Joel's and my 2nd game, I was the CSA before and I said there was still a few problems in combat results (mainly overruns). I lost in a hard fought one. But with him playing as the CSA, he has seen those problems now, and equations have been changed (during our AAR) by Gary. We have worked on this game so much, it wasn't just thrown together to be tossed to the public. This engine, interface, what ever you call it works alot better with this game than AWD, not putting down AWD, it's just that good. There so many more options and results that can happen in WBTS...Long live the CSA, but not in this game...lol...

Jon

(in reply to chadandpia)
Post #: 135
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/11/2008 7:21:18 AM   
Joel Billings

In November I was unable to spot Lyon, however I identified a very large army of over 70,000 men in Norfolk. This force, along with Sherman's 90,000+ in Manassas threatens most of Virginia. With Grant next to Atlanta, and Sheridan next to Jackson, there's pressure all along the line. The Union manpower edge seems overwhelming, but I've still got some excellent leaders with the potential to overcome the odds. Even so, I'm glad it's winter.

Confederate Polititcal points are 1006. I will lose 700 more during the next 7 months and gain 56 points (assuming no change in major leaders). That means the Union has to knock me down another 362 PPs. The game could go either way.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 136
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/11/2008 9:50:50 PM   
PyleDriver

December brought a huge break for the Union. Leon was in Norfolk VA and got initiative and is moving on the fortified city of Petersburg just south of Richmond, with a 70,000+ army. To make things worse Sherman also got initiative and is attacking Fredricksburg VA just north of Richmond with 80,000+ army. My scouting raids show that Stonewall is in command in Petersburg, Beauregard is unspotted, but I'm sure he's in Richmond waiting. I may loose these 2 battles, but hurting the Southern armys is foremost at this point. I have alot more troops on the way, they dont. Sherman also sent a corps (Mower) to Wilmington via sea invasion to keep pressure there, and not have troops move northward. 14 crusiers under Stringham have moved into the harbor to help this attack. Lee is still in Atlanta watching Grant sit on his case of whiskey, I need him to get off it sometime soon. Sheridan was resupplied and reenforced in Tupelo MS and is looking to break open the west, I'm sure Johnston has moved and is the AC there now and has his reserves in Natchez MS...It doesn't get better than this guys...

Jon

Post #: 137
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/12/2008 2:53:09 AM   
Joel Billings

Jackson had moved to Petersburg in anticipation of an expected attack from Norfolk. He has been reinforced there by a few units from nearby areas, although not all units had initiative. Jackson's assembled a force close to 60,000 men. Beauregard moved out of Richmond and came to the support of Early's forces in Fredericksburg (and Beauregard has initiative so he should be able to rush his troops forward). Beauregzrd has a total of close to 50,000 men and hopes to take advantage of the Wilderness area to counter Sherman. In Wilmington, Kirby Smith hopes to hold on.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/12/2008 4:49:50 AM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 138
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/12/2008 6:38:11 PM   
PyleDriver

Early battle reports are in. Sherman confident after the battle for Columbia, went agianst Beauregard and committed his entire army. The battle was close, but Beauregard retired his army back to Richmond. This placed Sherman just outside of Richmond now. Leon hit a "Stonewall" in Petersburg and fell back to Norfolk. Kirby Smith repulsed the attack on Wilmington once agian. A Union division (Deitzler) snuck into Franklin WV and overcame the local militia. Lincoln is delighted, results were much better than exspected...With both of us getting SV's, and the land grab, the CSA lost 9 pp's (plus the 100). Only 353 to go...lol...The big loss is in manpower for the CSA, losses were 1.5 to 1 (UvsC). At that rate the South won't last long...All the Union heavy artillery is now in Norfolk (140 guns) with one of the Unions best Artillery leaders (Hunt). Jackson has spotted them and the newspapers reported this. So much for suprise, Petersburg will be a battle of attrition...A note, when attacking cities, more units will be commited by both sides, just what I'm looking for.

Jon

Post #: 139
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/12/2008 7:55:08 PM   
PyleDriver

Some more notes on the game. The South is spread thin now. They can't replace their losses like the Union. Sheridian is poised to put MS out of the war and drive on New Orleans. When Grant gets moving Atlanta will fall, and the focus will be on VA, it already is...lol...I need Richmond and Joel knows it. I've played as the CSA to many times, and know what he's up agianst now, to many areas to guard and not enough troops. The battle in Columbia saved my ass...lol...The attacks on VA have started, soon the CSA won't replace artillery in the battlefield because they need to supply the troops they have. Stalin said artillery is the god of war, and I have a 2.5 to 1 advantage now and more on the way. I stopped naval production 3 years ago, to produce artillery and supply. My Cavalry is grown to 1.5 to 1 also, so we are going to the wire on this game...Photo finish...lol...Richmond is the war now, or all the other areas...Joels call now...

Jon

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 5/12/2008 8:28:24 PM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 140
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/13/2008 3:44:46 AM   
Joel Billings

I was prepared for one army in Virginia to get initiative, but with both armies moving, my forces were spread thin. Had Sherman not made his command role, I could have fought him to a stalemate in the Wilderness and force him to retreat. By committing all his forces, he was able to move me back to Richmond. That's bad for several reasons. First, the loss of the battle was a 30 point Political swing versus winning it. At this point that's huge. Second, Union forces are now adjacent to Richmond and I will have a harder time keeping units unspotted. The good news was Petersburg, where Jackson not only won, but reached the point where his -1 Army Modifier was eliminated. This means, he is now a 4 attack/4 defense leader when in Army Command, the best possible and equal to Lee. He was also promoted and now has the maximum 24 Command Rating, also equal to Lee. Beauregard can reach this with one more victory (he's currently a 4 attack, 3 defense leader with a 21 Command Rating). Had he won in Fredericksburg he would have become a 4 attack/4 defense leader with a 22 or 23 Command Rating. Jackson is now in Richmond, and Beauregard is now in Petersburg.

I launched a small attack to attempt to retake Franklin, West Virginia. Union leaders should have roughly the following chances of getting initiative:

Sherman (Fredericksburg) - 19%
Lyon (Norfolk) - 36%
Grant (Macon) - 32%
Sheridan (Tupelo) - 38%

Depending on whether their Theatre Commander's get initiative (a 44% chance these days for the Union TC's), these numbers will be higher or lower, but these are the overall "average" chance of initiative for each leader.

This means the Union player should get 1, or maybe 2 leaders that they can attack with. Confederate forces are stretched.

The Confederate Political score is now 905. Next turn I will start to suffer penalties in recruiting due to the low Political rating (it's dropping 100 per turn automatically).

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 141
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/17/2008 12:59:35 AM   
PyleDriver

January's weather brought a few actions. Mitchell's Cav overran Huntville AL to clear the CSA of all troops west of the TN river. Bufords Cav also retook New Kent following retreating confederate forces. Hill counter attacked into Franklin WV, and overcame a small Union force there...This leaves the CSA below 800, at 798. Recuitments for them will be harder each month now...Sheridan is looking for Johnston's army now, and moved 70,000 troops and 240 guns on Jackson MS. Grant took command of the army in Norfolk VA now, and Leon went to Macom GA. Over 220,000+ Union troops and over 900 guns are in VA now, to face Beauregard and Jackson. Leon has 65,000+ troops and 320 guns outside Atlanta.

Jon

Post #: 142
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/19/2008 4:19:10 AM   
Joel Billings

Sheridan getting initiative was a tough break for the Confederacy in the sense that he was matched up against Joe Johnston, the Confederates weakest Army Commander. Given winter conditions, not all nearby troops were able to respond to Johnston's call for help. Sheridan was able to commit all of his 73,000 men and Johnston's 47,000 were not enough to hold Jackson. Johnston withdrew east to Meridian. Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas (what's left of them) are now open to attack. The forts of Vicksburg and Baton Rouge will not hold against a determined ground attack. At least we were able to retake Franklin, West Virginia.

The Confederate political score is now 774. It will drop another 460 points during the next 5 turns. The Union still needs to knock me down by a little over 300 additional political points.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 143
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/19/2008 6:11:25 AM   
Joel Billings

The recent battle in Jackson cost the Confederates 9400 men and 60 guns versus Union losses of 10700 and 20 guns. Of about 20,000 troops in nearby areas that were not with Johnston, only about 1/3 were able to reach the battle area due to lack of initiative caused in large part to it being winter. The Confederates probably needed 10,000 more troops in Jackson to have been able to win the battle given Sheridan's commitment of all available forces. Sheridan's command rating is now 17, which combined with his 4 attack rating and 4 infantry skill makes him a powerful force. The only good news out of Jackson was the death of John Reynolds, the best Union Corps commander in Sheridan's army. In winter without a depot, Sheridan's chance for initiative in February is about 20%. Hopefully his army won't be able to move out in force in February. The question for the Union is where to move him next. Should he move south and west, taking Vicksburg and driving on New Orleans, or should he turn east and follow Johnston's retreating army. Hopefully he won't have the option in February.

Confederate recruiting is terrible now. Manpower is only declining, and I'm guessing I'm outnumbered by close to 3 to 1.

A small footnote. For the past year, Franklin Buchanan has been roaming the seas in a commerce raider. Back around November, it was reported that Buchanan's raider had damaged a Union Cruiser. Amazingly enough, in January Buchanan did it again. Not only that, but he managed to capture and bring back to the Confederacy 4 supplies while depriving the Union of 8 supply points in overseas trade. Buchanan's ship has been credited with 6 successes, one short of Josiah Tattnall's Confederate record of 7 in this game, and it now is listed with two experience stars. I have a feeling that half the Union navy is out looking for Buchanan's ship. It's nice to see the Confederate Navy still having an impact, however small.

Post #: 144
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/20/2008 12:36:23 AM   
Joel Billings

Jon just pointed out to me that the Confederates will lose 100 political points in July before the game will end due to the time limit. I confirmed that this should be the case, so that means I'll be losing 560 points instead of 460 points before the game ends. The Union only needs to drop me a little over 200 PPs to win. Ouch!

Post #: 145
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/20/2008 1:34:31 AM   
Joel Billings

In February, Sheridan and Lyon got initiative. McClellan and his two army commanders, Grant and Sherman, did not get initiative, so there was no action in Virginia.

Sheridan overran Natchez with a large part of his army, and then built depots. This will help him keep initiative to move on to attack New Orleans and Baton Rouge. He detached 12,000 men to attack Vicksburg, but the attack was rebuffed by the small Vicksburg garrison.

Lyon assaulted Atlanta with 60,000 men and 320 guns. Beauregard, met this attack with 54,000 men an 200 guns and decisively defeated it. Union losses were 14500/40 guns while Confederate losses were 10600/40 guns. The attrition is certainly painful, but I was happy to take the 20 Political points earned by the strategic victory. In addition, Beauregard having won his 11th major victory of the war had his defense rating improve to 4. The matchup in Army leaders is as follows:

Confederate vs Union Army leaders
(attack-defense-infantry skill/Command Rating)
Jackson 4-4-4/24 --- Sherman 3-3-4/19
Lee 4-4-4/24 --- Grant 4-3-4/19
Beauregard 4-4-4/21 --- Lyon 3-3-3/14
J. Johnston 2-3-4/18 --- Sheridan 4-3-4/17

The Confederate Political score is 685. I'm still going to lose 468 points automatically, so I can only lose another 216 points. Lightly defended New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Vicksburg, along with a few other minor areas I can't defend are worth 77 points.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 5/20/2008 10:01:10 AM >

Post #: 146
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/20/2008 2:09:31 AM   
PyleDriver

After Sherdians victory in Jackson MS, he regained initiative and continued his attacks. With the loss of Reynolds, Sherdian chose not to pursue Johnstons army. Sherdian then split his command, sending Osterhaus's corps of 12,000 to Vicksburg with 140 guns. Davis's 3 gunboat fleets moved off shore to aid in the attack. He then lead the attack towards New Orleans with a corps and a division and overran Natchez. The rail line was intact, and other forces were moved in and depots were built. This puts Sheridan in a postion to strike NO next month. Farragut with his 7 fleets (5 ironclad) are poised to aid in the attack...Leon's army got initiative also, but appears out numbered if Hardee and Taylor's corps on Bearegards flanks get initiative. Lincoln ordered the attack on Atlanta once agian hoping the winter weather would slow there response...Grant and Sherman spent Febuary being resupplied and reenforced...

Jon

Post #: 147
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/20/2008 2:11:31 AM   
PyleDriver

Joel, you beat me to the post agian...lol...

Jon

Addition notes...I knew I would lose in Atlanta, but 10,000 CSA troop losses will be very hard to replace now. With Jackson and Nachez MS, I expect 8,000 black recruits in the next 2 months, plus I'll replace my losses. I also will recieve 20,000 BR's the next 2 months from other areas...This may go down to the last month of the game...I have 4 months to make this happen...I really needed Vicksburg, to maintain supply to Sheridans army via the MS river, now I have to attack in 2 directions. I'm looking at Johnstons army to attack my flank also...

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 5/20/2008 2:59:07 AM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 148
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/21/2008 10:53:53 PM   
PyleDriver

March turned warm, and the Union armys are moving agian. Sheridan is attacking New Orleans with 32,000 men and 80 guns. Reports are that only a few trained units and 12,000 militia are defending. It's a huge prize 37 pp's. Sherman is on the move also, Parke's corps of 24.000 suported by Tillsons 80 guns swung west into Winchester 22 pp's. To block a responce on this action Sherman moved the rest of his army (96,000 strong with 400 guns) into Gordonsville, just west of Richmond. Grant didn't get initiative so he was ordered to move to Marlboro SC with 80,000 men and 400 guns. This move is a huge threat on Wilmington 42 pp's. This move will force Lee's army to move south and not support Jackson's army agianst Sherman. 45,000 men remain in Norfolk to counter any attack there. Leon got initiative, but after the last bloody battle chose to hold Beauregard in check in Macom/Atlanta. Schofield was transfered to Grants command from Leon, one of the Unions best, to aid Meade and Pope. Theres only 1 rail line into Wilmington, thus 12 units (24,000 troops). If Lee doesn't get initiative, and Grant does, look out. Either way Sherman will be heads up agiant Jackson. I need to commit twice the men to battle now to win them agianst the souths leadership. If Jackson wins this one, it may be over. Riots have started in the north to end this war. Lincoln needs to end this one way or another...

Jon

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 5/21/2008 11:23:34 PM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 149
RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate)... - 5/22/2008 1:41:47 AM   
Erik Rutins

Could one of you post an updated map please?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> After Action Reports >> RE: AAR Jon Pyle (Union) vs Joel Billings (Confederate) - Confederate POV Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI