Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

v1.020 Italian neutrality/surrender

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> v1.020 Italian neutrality/surrender Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
v1.020 Italian neutrality/surrender - 5/13/2008 8:11:31 AM   
SGT Rice

When a neutral Italy is attacked by the Allies, it appears to be impossible to force an Italian surrender on the turn of the attack. The Allies can capture three out of four, or even ALL FOUR of the surrender territories (Northern Italy, Southern Italy, Sicily and Tripoli) yet Italy will not surrender. The game engine appears to do this because Italy hasn't joined the Axis yet, so it is treated just like any other neutral country - it doesn't know how to surrender. Instead, on the following Axis turn Italy will always offer to join the Axis, even if all its territories have been occupied. The Italian fleet (if it has survived) will remain on the map at sea, joining the Germans.

The only way for the Allies to force Italy to surrender in this situation (i.e., following an Allied surprise attack that captures three of the Italian surrender territories) is to trigger the surrender event on a subsequent turn. This doesn't happen automatically if they simply hold the three surrender territories that they captured in their initial attack; the event will only trigger if they capture the fourth surrender territory. If the Allies captured all four surrender territories in their inital attack then they would actually have to lose one and recapture it to trigger Italian surrender.

I actually like the way this works in game terms ... the Italians fighting harder if they're victims of a surprise attack. But it does seem excessive - under any circumstances - for Italy to remain in the war if the Axis cannot contest control of any part of metropolitan Italy. I would suggest that an additional surrender condition be created for Italy ... if both Northern & Southern Italy are Allied occupied at the end of any Axis turn then Italy surrenders.

Post #: 1
RE: v1.020 Italian neutrality/surrender - 6/3/2008 8:34:38 AM   
WanderingHead

Interesting observation.

Actually, I modified the surrender rule so that Italy will never surrender if preemptively attacked while neutral. I had some feedback that leaving Italy out of the war wasn't a "powerful enough" option, and this seemed like a very reasonable way to address it. I.e., if neutral Italy is attacked they'd be more willing to fight longer.

This change is in the long awaited patch ... I've actually stopped work on it and handed off to Keith a couple weeks ago, but he's busy tying up other loose ends for 2by3 (like WBTS).

The change you proposed may be reasonable but would be difficult. Not going to happen now I'm afraid.

(in reply to SGT Rice)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Tech Support >> v1.020 Italian neutrality/surrender Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI