Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Check the Front Page!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Check the Front Page! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Check the Front Page! - 6/5/2008 11:00:09 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveB

Look. let's stop arguing spelling and stick to the weighty, important matter of making sure I get what I want. (Hmm, that might come over a teensy bit self centred) ... err, pretty please? Look, I have Carriers at War here, and I've not played it since running the demo bit on download day (there will not be a contest to guess why).... now, let's have a modicum of consideration here at the very least - what sort of a message does it give the average browsing possible customer type to hear that Matrix couldn't be bothered to launch AE on my selected choice of day, probably forcing me to play CAW as a stop gap, after I went to the trouble of travelling all that way and buying a PC just to play it?

Dave
(...and let us not forget that ox cart).

Wait a second there. You are flying 8 hours then having to drive through Orlando traffic and complaining about an Ox Cart ride?! Um, maybe its just me, but I think I'd pick the Ox Cart over Orlando traffic.

Yep, Orlando traffic is a bitch....especially during the height of tourist season with all teh Canadians coming to Mickey Mouse Land!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 151
RE: Check the Front Page! - 7/13/2008 2:26:54 AM   
DaveB

I'd just like to point out that
1) I have been here in Florida for 5 days now
2) I bought a PC and got it online on Tuesday
3) AE still hasn't been released.

Frankly Matrix I consider this a very poor show, I gave you 2 months notice and STILL you make me wait. I suppose you realise I have no excuse and must now take the family off to meet the mouse repeatedly? (Braving all those canadians, as Hans pointed out). I have temporarily fallen back on Steel Panthers and a copy of Guderian's 'Panzer Leader', and I blame Matrix for that.

Dave

Harumph.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 152
RE: Check the Front Page! - 7/13/2008 5:31:53 AM   
bradfordkay

July in central Florida. I pity you, Dave.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to DaveB)
Post #: 153
RE: Check the Front Page! - 7/14/2008 3:27:19 AM   
DaveB

Well it's a bit on the rainy and thundery side,
but unlike Scotland it's occasionally sunny and the rain is warm - so on the whole an improvement.
It's sunny in the morning for the pool, and I have a lot of toys out here....the mouse stuff IS wearing a bit thin though, I'm beginning to enjoy a visit to Walmart more.....

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 154
RE: Check the Front Page! - 10/18/2008 9:04:47 PM   
LTCMTS

I've been away awhile. See "Apollo11" is still living in his "Croatian Navy" dream world. Somethings don't change.

Question #1 - Is the limitation on numbers of devices that can be assigned to ships or aircraft eased or eliminated. This feature was obviously carried over from PacWar. The result was all IJN ships carrying 24" (61cm) torpedoes carried Type 93's when many should have been carrying Type 90 or Type 8's even as into late 1942. The result was to give the IJN an unreasonable edge in surface combat. Other probelsm were combining 20 degree elevation 15"/42 Mk.I (26,650yds w/1938lb APHE) with 30 degree 15"/42 Mk.IN (33,550yds w/1938lbs APHE), 16"/45 Mk.1 & Mk.5 combined with 16"/45 Mk.6 and so on.

Question #2 - Are the merchant ships revised to include ALL known IJN and Allied merchant ships and Naval Auxiliaries and to expand the types of merchant ships so that carry capacity, cruising speed and range and size are better match to historical ships?

Question #3 - Any adjustment of protection for angles of attack due to sloped armor or quality of armor (KNC versus VNC or JVC of USN Class "A" armor aboev and below 7.5" in thickness)?

Question #4 -  Adjustment of IJNAF types, ie. while the USN used dive bombers as scout bombers (SBD, SB2U, etc), this was not the case with the D3A "Val". When there weren't enough floatplanes, the IJNAF used the B5N/B6N as scouts/recon. How about the "Swordfish" and the "Barracuda" as TSRs with dive bombing capabilities.

Question #5 - Have air groups been adjusted? HMS Hermes carried only Swordfish TSRs and USS Long Island carried F2A-3s and SOC-2/3As.

Question #6 - Has participation in major landing operations been limited only to those ships capable of carrying landing craft?

Question #7 -  Has the game allowance for IJN subs carrying mines been eliminated?

Question #8 - Will the AI stop running computer managed convoys through enemy controlled (especially areas within strike range of enemy a/c) areas?

Just some questions.

For those that need to know, SMS K u.K "Viribus Unitus" was laid down (1910), launched (1911) and completed (1912) at Trieste DY, an Italian port then administered by the Kingdom of Hungary within the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary. The name is Latin and refers to an Empire unified from a number of ethnic, national and religious factions by loyalty to the King-Emperor. On 1 November 1918, she was handed over to officers of the Royal Yugoslav Navy at Pola, a port on the Adriatic which had been a major shipyard of the now defunct Autro-Hungarian Navy. She was sunk by charges placed on her hull by Italian operatives on 10 Nov 1918. There is some question as to whether the port was considered as part of Croatia, but Croatia did not exist as a seperate political entity until after the occupation of Yugoslavia by the Germans, Italians, Hungarians and Bulgarians in May 1941 and was subsumed back into the State of Yugoslavia in 1946, not becoming an independent entity util after the death of Tito and the dissoultion of Yugoslavia in the 1990's. Thus there was never a Croatian Navy during the time in which the SMS "Viribus Unitus" was in existence.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 155
RE: Check the Front Page! - 10/18/2008 9:25:50 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: LTCMTS

I've been away awhile. See "Apollo11" is still living in his "Croatian Navy" dream world. Somethings don't change.

For those that need to know, SMS K u.K "Viribus Unitus" was laid down (1910), launched (1911) and completed (1912) at Trieste DY, an Italian port then administered by the Kingdom of Hungary within the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary. The name is Latin and refers to an Empire unified from a number of ethnic, national and religious factions by loyalty to the King-Emperor. On 1 November 1918, she was handed over to officers of the Royal Yugoslav Navy at Pola, a port on the Adriatic which had been a major shipyard of the now defunct Autro-Hungarian Navy. She was sunk by charges placed on her hull by Italian operatives on 10 Nov 1918. There is some question as to whether the port was considered as part of Croatia, but Croatia did not exist as a seperate political entity until after the occupation of Yugoslavia by the Germans, Italians, Hungarians and Bulgarians in May 1941 and was subsumed back into the State of Yugoslavia in 1946, not becoming an independent entity util after the death of Tito and the dissoultion of Yugoslavia in the 1990's. Thus there was never a Croatian Navy during the time in which the SMS "Viribus Unitus" was in existence.

Ahm... since I was directly mentioned I think it is fair to respond...

As always I offer several links for "Viribus Unitis" of KuK (and her sisters) - just read it:

Austro-Hungarian Tegetthoff Class

History of the Tegetthoff Class Battleships

BTW, the "Royal Yugoslav Navy" part made me laugh so much that I almost fell of my chair... (Yugoslavia as name only appeared in 1929 and "royal" Serbia never ever had any sea and thus never had any navy)...

Also Croatia existed as political and territorial entity for more than 1000 years... it was independent at first in 7th / 8th / 9th / 10th century but after it was part of Hungarian Kingdom and later Austrian kingdom and empire... Croatia was as old or older as Czech republic which shared the same fate in same kingdoms and empires for hundreds and hundreds of years...

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S. [Edit]
Sighted typos fixed.

< Message edited by Apollo11 -- 10/18/2008 9:35:08 PM >

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to LTCMTS)
Post #: 156
RE: Check the Front Page! - 11/5/2008 10:06:45 PM   
rhohltjr

Question for you Erik Rutin perhaps.    I noticed that the new Matrix game "Watch on Rhine" went gold on Oct 22 and then was available for sale/download on Oct 28th.   So,  after the glorious day AE goes gold why would we have to wait a number of weeks/months for release?  I Can't remember where in these threads I read that info.
Is it a problem of scale?  Documentation? 

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 157
RE: Check the Front Page! - 11/5/2008 10:38:52 PM   
Crimguy

Gold is getting to be more of a term of art these days. If there is in fact a gold master that needs to go to the presses, that can take weeks. However, in the age of digital downloads, that can more accurately mean the file needs to get to digital river and be added to their library, which if I recall WBTS was a matter of a few days.

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 158
RE: Check the Front Page! - 12/25/2008 4:34:52 PM   
ltoot

This is just someones hobby, right? It will never be perfect. Look at the chages/mods to WIP. Quit diddling and get it on the street.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 159
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/9/2009 1:14:52 AM   
princep01

The below, unfortunately, turn out to be grossly over optimistic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Weidi72

The Admiral’s Edition expansion is currently scheduled for an early Summer, 2008 release.

Still in time?

(in reply to Weidi72)
Post #: 160
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/9/2009 4:47:40 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

quote:

The Admiral’s Edition expansion is currently scheduled for an early Summer, 2008 release.

Still in time?

Delaying the release in order to make a better product is (and was) CORRECT. At least in my opinion. The reasons were explained very well months ago.

Flipper

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 161
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/9/2009 8:38:13 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Delaying the release in order to make a better product is (and was) CORRECT. At least in my opinion. The reasons were explained very well months ago.

I have to agree!!

I've beta tested for MS for a few of their products and it was all about the bottom line. There was a timetable set and the game was going gold by that particular date despite known unresolved issues. Believe me nothing is more frustrating to a beta team member than seeing issues not fixed. To their credit they patched the program and fixed it years later

Matrix should be commended for delaying the release to try and get all issues ironed out.

This game is going to be stellar and you can't rush quality work.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 162
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/9/2009 8:46:21 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

quote:

Still in time?

AE was not in a usable state back then. You would have whined so loud it would have caused earthquakes if we'd released it in Q2 08.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 163
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/9/2009 11:08:40 PM   
m10bob

This means it IS in a usable state at present.......

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 164
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/9/2009 11:49:10 PM   
tocaff

OK, so getting it right is more important than getting it out before it's time.  I can wait as long as my current WITP PBEMs are rolling along.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 165
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 12:04:08 AM   
Andy Mac

We go as fast as we can cannot do more

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 166
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 12:35:32 AM   
bradfordkay

We're all anxious, but most of us are willing to wait for you guys to release it when you feel that it's ready.

The situation with AE is quite a bit different from most game releases. The crew creating AE are people who bought and played WITP heavily, experiencing all the joys and frustrations with the game that we all experience when we're playing the game. Most of them have been heavily involved in the mods that the majority of us (at least those of us who have been playing it since it was released) have switched to.

Now they have been officially supported in creating a SuperMod of WITP: Admiral's Edition. From what I have read, AE is as big a jump over WITP as WITP was over UV. These guys have been working on it a lot longer than they expected, and they want to release it as soon as possible, if only to be done with it!

I am quite comfortable with waiting until the AE crew feels it is ready for the presses.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 167
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 1:33:34 AM   
BB57

AE is like a fine wine. Don't drink, release, it before it's time.

I personally can't wait but getting it before its time, not ready, would be worse than waiting.

Steve

Post #: 168
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 4:39:44 AM   
Grotius

I agree, I'm glad the team is taking the time to get it right. But I'd add this: This is a hugely complex project, and it's a labor of love for the team, so I will be in a forgiving mood about bugs and such when it finally is released.

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 169
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 4:45:19 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

We're all anxious, but most of us are willing to wait for you guys to release it when you feel that it's ready.

The situation with AE is quite a bit different from most game releases. The crew creating AE are people who bought and played WITP heavily, experiencing all the joys and frustrations with the game that we all experience when we're playing the game. Most of them have been heavily involved in the mods that the majority of us (at least those of us who have been playing it since it was released) have switched to.

Now they have been officially supported in creating a SuperMod of WITP: Admiral's Edition. From what I have read, AE is as big a jump over WITP as WITP was over UV. These guys have been working on it a lot longer than they expected, and they want to release it as soon as possible, if only to be done with it!

I am quite comfortable with waiting until the AE crew feels it is ready for the presses.

Amen to every single point in that post.

Post #: 170
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 6:14:56 AM   
kaleun

Since I missed my last guess (Dec 7th) I'll take another: Memorial Day 09.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 171
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 2:41:54 PM   
witpqs

Please Sir, May I have some AE?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 172
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 3:17:42 PM   
Terminus

Sure kid, you got an obscene amount of money?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 173
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 3:32:43 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Sure kid, you got an obscene amount of money?

Are you saying that if we did, we could get it now?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 174
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 3:52:31 PM   
Terminus

Well, with the current financial climate, I'm banking that nobody has an obscene amount of money...

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 175
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 4:04:29 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, with the current financial climate, I'm banking that nobody has an obscene amount of money...

I do if you are willing to accept a 3rd party post-dated check?

Let's party!!!

Flipper

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 176
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 6:04:30 PM   
tocaff

These guys working on AE are in a hurry to get it out!?!  Are you kidding?  They're playing PBEMs now to make sure things are working OK and we all know how horrible PBEM is.  

T, the only amount of money that's obscene is if I have no money.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 177
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 6:06:23 PM   
rockmedic109

Define obscene. 

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 178
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 6:07:38 PM   
Iron Duke

Bankers Bonus's

"Bombers outpacing fighters - you've got to bloody well laugh!" Australian Buffalo pilot - Singapore

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 179
RE: Check the Front Page! - 2/10/2009 6:19:19 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Duke

Bankers Bonus's

...and their parachutes.

(in reply to Iron Duke)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Check the Front Page! Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI