Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Co HQ as a tank commander

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Co HQ as a tank commander Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Co HQ as a tank commander - 5/3/2002 5:11:03 AM   
LilJoe

In campaign generator how can I have the CO HQ as a tank commander. I noticed this sometimes randomly occurs but I want to be able to control it.

"Victory Through Superior Marksmanship"
Post #: 1
- 5/3/2002 6:51:35 AM   
Goblin

Are you refering to your Overall HQ unit (A0)? If so, the only way to make it a tank unit is to upgrade it after the first battle of the campaign. Otherwise, it is ALWAYS an infantry unit.

If you are asking about a [I]company [/I] commander, if you purchase a tank company, the first tank is the company HQ.

Goblin- A Goblin lets you know who's the boss:)

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 2
- 5/3/2002 9:09:07 PM   
Larry Holt

Alternately you can always save the game as a scenario then use the editor to change the leader's unit type.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 3
- 5/4/2002 3:21:24 AM   
Warrior

the main HQ (A0) can be changed to any type of unit during design. Redleg is famous for having various types of units be HQ.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 4
- 5/4/2002 5:19:07 AM   
Charles2222

You have to be careful though. I've made it a point when picking tank companies to not change the lead platoon, to, say a section of heavy tanks. In such a situation, often enough what was the company command section will then lose it's recon status, as well as no telling what else (Oh yeah, your company command unit, in that case, will often be only a sargeant instead of a 1stLt or better).

Any overall command I've seen has always been infantry. I suspect that they have strong infantry/artillery ratings. To switch it for a section or single unit, whatever the means, you may find yourself with that HQ not being able to call down artillery reliably if switched for a tank. Not only that, but you would have a tank with likely very lousy armored command ratings, unlike you pure tank units. Actually, now that I think about it, you would have "either" good artillery rating or good armor rating when switching to a tank, but you would have one of the two, not both being lousy. Bottom line is switching units to another type (ie. tank for infantry) messes around with getting something of a bastardized unit, where their ratings are unnatural for type, making them inferior to units of that type.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 5
- 5/4/2002 5:57:58 PM   
Warrior

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Charles_22
[B]You have to be careful though. I've made it a point when picking tank companies to not change the lead platoon, to, say a section of heavy tanks. In such a situation, often enough what was the company command section will then lose it's recon status, as well as no telling what else (Oh yeah, your company command unit, in that case, will often be only a sargeant instead of a 1stLt or better).

Any overall command I've seen has always been infantry. I suspect that they have strong infantry/artillery ratings. To switch it for a section or single unit, whatever the means, you may find yourself with that HQ not being able to call down artillery reliably if switched for a tank. Not only that, but you would have a tank with likely very lousy armored command ratings, unlike you pure tank units. Actually, now that I think about it, you would have "either" good artillery rating or good armor rating when switching to a tank, but you would have one of the two, not both being lousy. Bottom line is switching units to another type (ie. tank for infantry) messes around with getting something of a bastardized unit, where their ratings are unnatural for type, making them inferior to units of that type. [/B][/QUOTE]

Charles is probably correct here, but all command values can be adjusted during design if you want to go that way.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to LilJoe)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Co HQ as a tank commander Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI