Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

US Submarine torpedoes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> US Submarine torpedoes Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 8:00:06 PM   
jerrylt2008

I understand that US submarine torpedoes are in effect useless until early 1943. I guess you might get a lucky detonation occassionally but ussually it will miss or not explode. Since this is the case, should I send them out of port at all? I guess they would be good intelligence gatherers or the occasional supply run or troop deployment (limited). I am not trying to open up this can of worms again.

I am asking if I should just leave them in port or send them out to spot ships and maybe act like coast watchers?

"One tin soldier rides away........."
Post #: 1
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 8:02:45 PM   
Terminus

You should definitely use your submarines as much as possible. Your dud rate is only 80% to start with, and sometimes your dice rolls actually come up to your advantage. Leaving your subs in port is criminal neglect.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jerrylt2008)
Post #: 2
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 8:14:22 PM   
Charbroiled

Even with the dud rate, I have still been able to sink a few ships here and there. Send them out...you never know what you might sink.

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 8:22:45 PM   
jerrylt2008

Thank you everyone. I was assuming that they would be the front line in defense.

"One tin soldier rides away........."

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 4
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 8:25:28 PM   
NormS3

Any chance of subs getting hit by their own errant torps?

Post #: 5
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 8:26:58 PM   
Nikademus

no

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 6
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 9:37:25 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Norm3

Any chance of subs getting hit by their own errant torps?

With straight runners? Highly unlikely...in fact improbable. With wake following or active homing, it would be possible if all the safeties are removed and you somehow end up in the path of your own torpedo, improbable.

In game, I seriously doubt it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to NormS3)
Post #: 7
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 9:47:10 PM   
greg_slith

Improbable maybe but it did happen. Dick O'Kane was nearly killed by his own fish and many other boats that "disappeared" are thought to have been hit by their own straight runners (who didn't run straight).

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 8
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 9:52:04 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

Improbable maybe but it did happen. Dick O'Kane was nearly killed by his own fish and many other boats that "disappeared" are thought to have been hit by their own straight runners (who didn't run straight).

That indicates malfunction then. I would still assume that even so the ratio was very low....so still not impossible, but improbable.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 9
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 9:57:45 PM   
greg_slith

The 80% dud rate also reflects the "malfunction" of the a) depth keeping, b) magnetic exploder and c) contact fuse. All worked in some form or another but still caused 80% duds.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/21/2009 10:44:05 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

That indicates malfunction then. I would still assume that even so the ratio was very low....so still not impossible, but improbable.

The Tang (Dick O'Kane's boat) and the Tullibee were both sunk from a circular torpedo run. The Taotog and the Whale both had torpedo malfunctions causing a circular run, but both boats were able to "go deep" to escape.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 11
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 12:24:07 AM   
Mike Scholl

quote:

ORIGINAL: jerrylt2008

I understand that US submarine torpedoes are in effect useless until early 1943. I guess you might get a lucky detonation occassionally but ussually it will miss or not explode. Since this is the case, should I send them out of port at all? I guess they would be good intelligence gatherers or the occasional supply run or troop deployment (limited). I am not trying to open up this can of worms again.

I am asking if I should just leave them in port or send them out to spot ships and maybe act like coast watchers?

Your old "S-Boats" did not use the Mk XIV torpedo, so their hit rates should be much better. I always try to upgrade their skippers to the best available and use them to create a "danger zone" or two for the Japs. And even if the more modern subs aren't very effective they still provide intel, re-supply, and the occasional success to annoy the enemy.

Post #: 12
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 2:16:03 AM   
Hagleboz

[/quote]

Your old "S-Boats" did not use the Mk XIV torpedo, so their hit rates should be much better.  I always try to upgrade their skippers to the best available and use them to create a "danger zone" or two for the Japs.  And even if the more modern subs aren't very effective they still provide intel, re-supply, and the occasional success to annoy the enemy.
[/quote]

Does WitP (and AE) actually model different torpedo for the Americans?

(in reply to Mike Scholl)
Post #: 13
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 2:18:22 AM   
Feinder

quote:

Does WitP (and AE) actually model different torpedo for the Americans?

Yes.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Hagleboz)
Post #: 14
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 2:30:22 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

quote:

The Tang (Dick O'Kane's boat) and the Tullibee were both sunk from a circular torpedo run. The Taotog and the Whale both had torpedo malfunctions causing a circular run, but both boats were able to "go deep" to escape.

One other USN sub is thought (but not known) to have been sunk by its own torp (3 total)...

Circular run could be caused by several factors including jammed torpedo rudder, defective gyro, etc. but there was also a design flaw that allowed a gyro control unit to be inserted backwards that would cause a circular run.

Post #: 15
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 10:28:04 AM   
John Lansford

Aggressive skippers in even the fleet boats will occasionally surface and use their deck gun against shipping, as well as fire their torpedoes.  I've sunk dozens of ships in 1942 with US subs, and damaged a CVL, by having them base out of Darwin or Eniwetok and patrolling them around Truk, Saipan and Tarakan.  The S class do not have the high dud torpedo rate so they will get a lot more hits in 1942 also.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 12:59:34 PM   
tocaff

Never forget those subs can also lay mines, which can bag some unsuspecting ships and tie up others to clear the minefields.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 17
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 2:32:59 PM   
BAR

I've been noticing quite an increase in deck gun activity starting about May '42 from my subs. Even occur during the daytime which seems suicidal. I have 4 based off Scerabaja, 3 just south of Rabaul and the rest doing their own thing and have 3-4 Sub attack combat reports a turn so they are definately worth putting to sea.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 18
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 3:50:53 PM   
SuluSea

Playing against the AI in my last game I had what I felt pretty good success using the USN submarines in early '42. I sortied everyone of them out of Manila and used the S-boats north of the Phillipines and the fleet boats in the South China Sea to help suppliment Royal and Dutch Navy boats. I haven't played a PBEM As of yet because I'm waiting for AE but believe the fleet boats in early '42 will assist at the very least in giving you intel on the enemies shipping lanes. 

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 19
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 3:51:10 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, I'm not saying it couldn't happen. I say improbable because of the fact that you cite 4 instances of circular runs out of how many thousands of torpedoes fired?

I say improbable because there is such a low chance of it happening. It can happen, and it if happens to you it is 100% bad, but in the overall picture you can reliably fire a straight running torpedo 99%+ of the time and it will run straight...or at least not in a complete circle.

Distant Worlds Fan

Post #: 20
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 4:01:33 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, I'm not saying it couldn't happen. I say improbable because of the fact that you cite 4 instances of circular runs out of how many thousands of torpedoes fired?

I say improbable because there is such a low chance of it happening. It can happen, and it if happens to you it is 100% bad, but in the overall picture you can reliably fire a straight running torpedo 99%+ of the time and it will run straight...or at least not in a complete circle.

Actually, from what i've read, it was a lot more common than that... but the 4 quoted are the most famous incidents... it happened on the order of maybe 1% of firings, i am guessing from what i've read.

EDIT: Usually, since the sub was moving, it wasn't around for the return trip of the torpedo, and just made for a lot of nervous/alarmed submariners.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 7/22/2009 4:03:07 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 21
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 4:15:55 PM   
PawnPower

Historically US subs probably destroyed more tonnage per sub, compared to the German U-Boats and the Japs. The Japanese did not use the subs to their full potential.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 22
RE: US Submarine torpedoes - 7/22/2009 4:35:41 PM   
Charbroiled

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed...it was not a common occurance. However, it happen enough that the Sub Captains were aware of the possibilities of it happening and were concerned about it. As mentioned before, it was suspected that more subs were lost because of circular runs then those mentioned, but there wasn't any proof.

In the case of the Tang, they were running on the surface, in the middle of a night action. They were in shallow water (180 feet I believe) and the torpedo was the last torpedo they had. They had previously damaged a tanker and were finishing it off using their last 2 torpedos so that they could go home. If they hadn't been in shallow water....in sight of shore, it is doubtful that the crew that escaped the Tang would have been picked up by the Japanese. In which case, it would have never been know what sunk the Tang.

In the case of the Tullibee, there was 1 survivor that was thrown from the bridge by the explosion. He was picked up by the Japanese and was able confirm how the Tullibee sunk.

< Message edited by Charbroiled -- 7/22/2009 4:40:21 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> US Submarine torpedoes Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI