Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 11/5/2000 11:37:00 PM   
CF_Medic

never listen to the officers, they only make us enlisted types lives miserable. listen to the sergeants, let THEM listen to the officers..... The enlisted KNOW whats going on and how to do it, the officers only guess and therorize about it.... ......experience pays, i seem to find the officer who is said " to be depriving a villiage of an idiot" ------------------ Militas Succurimus

Militas Succurimus

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 31
- 11/6/2000 1:20:00 AM   
ruxius

Well , even if I don't believe this enumeration will go on too far let my name be here in this path of glory... Number 27 ..from Italy...Ruxius : Since Sp1 till the end of my life.. Steel Panthers FOR EVER even if I have to keep my PC alive in aeternum ! I salute you !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 32
- 11/6/2000 1:33:00 AM   
Dave_R

quote:

Originally posted by ARIS: Ok, I am #80027. But who cares, I'll try to be your #1 red nightmare on PBEM. I am wondering how many of us are non-military people like me. I guess the game is hard to figure what to use on what, if you're not an army officer. Probably a typical gamer would get confused of all those equipement and their usage.
Stuff that Aris! Your average game would probably have a damned site better idea of what to do then your average army officer!

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 33
- 11/6/2000 1:37:00 AM   
Dave_R

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CF_Medic: [B]never listen to the officers, they only make us enlisted types lives miserable. listen to the sergeants, let THEM listen to the officers..... The mark of a good officer. Is one who knows how to listen to the sergeants!

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 34
- 11/6/2000 1:49:00 AM   
Jeff Norton

I guess I'm 28 or 29??? Been a LONG time since I was 28 (or 29 for that matter). And, I spent 11 yrs under Uncle Sam's flag and saw my own share of Village Idiots. Saw a few good ones and the better ones were never higher in rank of MAJ. Best gag I saw was bringing in a 'cherry' 2LT on board by sending him to supply/PAC for a ID-10T form. The smart ones caught on quick... Also, another good way is to go get a gallon of prop wash, some checkered paint, or a box of grid-squares. It is amazing what you can get a ring-banger to do... Best, -Jeff

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 35
- 11/6/2000 2:05:00 AM   
troopie

quote:

Originally posted by Dave_R: [QUOTE]Originally posted by CF_Medic: [B]never listen to the officers, they only make us enlisted types lives miserable. listen to the sergeants, let THEM listen to the officers..... The mark of a good officer. Is one who knows how to listen to the sergeants!
A good officer gives orders to the sergeants and then gets out of their way and lets them get on with it. Enlisted men (at least the ones I remember) suddenly get very dubious when an officer tells them HOW to do something. How to deal with such an officer? "Say Yes, Sir, and then when his back is turned, go ahead and do it right," Sgt. Vander Heiden SADF. 1975 troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 36
- 11/6/2000 2:27:00 AM   
Supervisor

Figure at least 1700, then assuming only 2% of those who have the game have actually registered to this forum would make it 85,000. Considering that is a high number, then take off 20,000 and you have 65,000, about how many have downloaded the game. There are at least 50,000 CD's out there with the magazines. I would guess about 70,000 have played the game at least once ------------------ Grenadier Matrix Games Technical Writer

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 37
- 11/6/2000 4:33:00 AM   
Bondy

I don't imagine I will ever earase SPWAW from my HD, but right now I am playing SP1 - that's right SP1! The graphics seem bigger (tank icons etc.) but maybe that's just my imagination. The main reason I play SP1 now is the smaller battles - I can actually finish them in an evening. I expect to get back into SPWAW when there is a large enough pool of linked campaigns available.

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 38
- 11/6/2000 8:11:00 AM   
Alby

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bondy: [B]I don't imagine I will ever earase SPWAW from my HD, but right now I am playing SP1 - that's right SP1! The graphics seem bigger (tank icons etc.) but maybe that's just my imagination Not your imagination...the icons are really small in spwaw, i wish they had same size as the sp series myself, have to wear magnifying glasses to play spwaw...lol

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 39
- 11/6/2000 9:25:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Bondy, we have a goodly number of quick play scenarios out there, in the Game Depot and in the game itself. Have you tried those? And of course, linked campaigns are on the way. Have you played the three that are already there? How did you do with Utah to the Rhine? And more are coming. Just hang on. I have started SP1 more than once, but after SPWAW, it does not have the flavor it once did. And now I am going to play a set of Wolfenstein. Yep, still on my hard drive. I play when I get the urge for instant gratification and lots of blood WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 40
- 11/6/2000 10:23:00 AM   
Tankhead

quote:

Originally posted by Panzerjaeger Hortlund: That makes me what...23? Ok then. One question, is it a waste of time to try an online game with a 56K modem?
Hi Panzer! I play online a lot with my 56k modem and it rocks no problem, just ask Mogami, he and I play lots. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com

Tankhead

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 41
- 11/6/2000 4:17:00 PM   
molset

Greetings gentlemen. Since others have tried to guestimate the number of uses Im going to do so as well. The criteria is as follows. Im the only one of my (tribe) nation who plays it (I could be mistakern!). Those of that tribe (nation) are 300 000 (no typo!). The planet is populated with 6 billion people. So 6 billion/300 000 = 20 000. Give or take this stat. could be as accurate or flaved as anything. We will get closer to the truth once we begin to pay for the follow up Matrix games. Regards Molset "Jakki er ekki frakki nema sidur se"

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 42
- 11/6/2000 7:47:00 PM   
ruxius

Hi Mr. Blondy..I share the same love for Sp1..even if I majestly give my tribute to Matrix games because they REALIZED THE REAL NATURAL OFFSPRING OF SP1 !!!.. I will not forget the long time I played in SP1--- "First love will never be forgotten "..now Love is adult with SPWAW..the both are my new great peace for my soul ! Even all of this I still play SP1 sometimes...would you like to play some battles with me via e-mail ? I looked for your e-mail address here but there was nothing.so I reply to the forum..if you are intereted in my proposal will you plòease contact me at ruxiusf@libero.it ? I will be happy to play with you..Hi !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 43
- 11/7/2000 3:20:00 AM   
Billy Yank

quote:

Originally posted by Bondy: I don't imagine I will ever earase SPWAW from my HD, but right now I am playing SP1 - that's right SP1! The graphics seem bigger (tank icons etc.) but maybe that's just my imagination. The main reason I play SP1 now is the smaller battles - I can actually finish them in an evening. I expect to get back into SPWAW when there is a large enough pool of linked campaigns available.
The icons are about the same size in pixels, but SP1 used a 640x480 screen and SPWAW uses 800x600. So the icons are smaller because the pixels are smaller. ------------------ Billy Yank I don't define "my own" the way you want me to.

Billy Yank
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
-- Thorin Oakenshield

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 44
- 11/7/2000 11:59:00 AM   
Tombstone

I know that I myself tried downloading the program like 5 or 6 times before it worked right for me. I bet the number of actual players is like 20k. That's a big number, and now that SPWAW 4 is on the PC Gamer CD that number is likely to soar. Tomo

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 45
- 11/7/2000 1:51:00 PM   
rurukaa

There's at least 1 in New Zealand thanks to snakebass. Great game even runs with only 32MB ram.

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 46
- 11/8/2000 1:25:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

If only more spanish speakers were playing SPWAW ! De este lado de los Andes somos por los menos 5 (al menos yo conozco personalmente a 5: todos amigos desde la época del colegio y fanáticos de todo tipo de juego de guerra, empezamos jugando al TEG y ahora nos tiroteamos con el SPWAW vía e-mail). Aunque solamente dos participamos de este foro (te dejo que adivines quién es el otro argentino que anda suelto por el foro). Además hay algunos por ahí que parecen ser españoles. Free translation for English speakers: we’re five guys in Argentina (also know as “el culo del mundo” – I can’t translate this expression). All of us friend from high school (we’re around 30 years old now). All war game fans. We were playing SP since the very first version form SSI – in fact I have a board game by “Avalon Hill Games” named “Eastern Front”, which seems to be like the “prehistory” of SPAW. One of us had download the game with a 56k modem and copied it in CD and distributed it to the rest of us. We’re now a really happy team!! Muchas felicitaciones para el equipo de Matrix Games!! Saludos a todos Saludos a todos, Cona. [This message has been edited by Cona (edited November 04, 2000).][/B][/QUOTE]

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 47
- 11/8/2000 1:27:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by Cona: 12. Finland must be as far as Chile, also known as the end of the land, you know, "Fin" translates to "End" in spanish. And i downloaded SPWAW with a 33.6 conection ! If only more spanish speakers were playing SPWAW ! Saludos a todos, Cona. [This message has been edited by Cona (edited November 04, 2000).]
De este lado de los Andes somos por los menos 5 (al menos yo conozco personalmente a 5: todos amigos desde la época del colegio y fanáticos de todo tipo de juego de guerra, empezamos jugando al TEG y ahora nos tiroteamos con el SPWAW vía e-mail). Aunque solamente dos participamos de este foro (te dejo que adivines quién es el otro argentino que anda suelto por el foro). Además hay algunos por ahí que parecen ser españoles. Free translation for English speakers: we’re five guys in Argentina (also know as “el culo del mundo” – I can’t translate this expression). All of us friend from high school (we’re around 30 years old now). All war game fans. We were playing SP since the very first version form SSI – in fact I have a board game by “Avalon Hill Games” named “Eastern Front”, which seems to be like the “prehistory” of SPAW. One of us had download the game with a 56k modem and copied it in CD and distributed it to the rest of us. We’re now a really happy team!! Muchas felicitaciones para el equipo de Matrix Games!! Saludos a todos

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 48
- 11/8/2000 5:44:00 AM   
MindSpy

I expect to get back into SPWAW when there is a large enough pool of linked campaigns available.[/B][/QUOTE] No 15 reporting in, MindSpy. Hi. You know if you use either the battle generator or the scenario editor to make a game, you can then simply re-enter the game at a later point, in the scenario editor and buy more opposing forces and´even change your map or just rearrange your forces. Your kills will be saved and your suppression and remaining shots will all still be there when your return your game to the save table. If you make a note of the flags captured before re-entering the game into the scen editor and the damage points you can keep an updated tally that can just be added to the final score at the end of the campaign. As you need only use the scen editor to delete or select forces over later turns you have the fastest and least time consuming method of playing a campaign without ever having to FINISH a game until it is really Finished and no further play occurs. You could setup many a historical battle where the units and the opposing forces vary according to which map you play onto. This would work nearly as well for secured PBeM play (just more note taking before the next game can occur or the next map change can occur). Time permitting I will have an article sent into the Journal Tips section next week! MindSpy

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 49
- 11/8/2000 6:00:00 AM   
MindSpy

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Bondy, we have a goodly number of quick play scenarios out there, in the Game Depot and in the game itself. Have you tried those? And of course, linked campaigns are on the way. Have you played the three that are already there? How did you do with Utah to the Rhine? And more are coming. Just hang on. WB
No 15 reporting in: MindSpy. Hey there. An interesting point has arisen again. I caught your message to Bondy. And with a multi-ladder fight looming large in the new year ... seems like a good time to get an article into the Tips in the Journal explaing how to setup easy multimap battles that can be played in any order a gamer would like to send his forces to -- while I still have time that is !!! I am currently having a small campaign battle wherein the forces never return to 100%. All shots are game recorded as normal but they must be resupplied; the game is played map to map by players with forces they organized and to some degree of freedom selected, everyone was supplied with the maps and required to setup their forces and defenses and finalize their battle plans and orders before play began; the game`s editor does not erase the details of kills and shots and supression so the map to map fighting is possible!!!; we are also playing that the units that have recently engaged in combat must keep their suppression levels (easy since the game`s editor does not erase these values) since their last battle!(within certain rules-which creates the nice quality of heavily blooded units being increasinly less effective without refit) ... You know if you use either the battle generator or the scenario editor to make a game, you can then simply re-enter the game at a later point;ie in the scenario editor and buy more opposing forces and´even change your map or just rearrange your forces and of course delete those not required ... Your kills will be saved and your suppression and remaining shots will all still be there when your return your game to the save table. If you make a note of the flags captured before re-entering the game into the scen editor and the damage points you can keep an updated tally that can just be added to the final score at the end of the campaign. As you need only use the scen editor to delete or select forces over later turns you have the fastest and least time consuming method of playing a campaign without ever having to FINISH a game until it is really Finished and no further play occurs. You could setup many a historical battle where the units and the opposing forces vary according to which map you play onto. This would work nearly as well for secured PBeM play (just more note taking before the next game can occur or the next map change can occur). Time permitting I will have an article sent into the Journal Tips section next week! MindSpy

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 50
- 11/8/2000 7:40:00 AM   
Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by ARIS: Ok, I am #80027. But who cares, I'll try to be your #1 red nightmare on PBEM. I am wondering how many of us are non-military people like me. I guess the game is hard to figure what to use on what, if you're not an army officer. Probably a typical gamer would get confused of all those equipement and their usage.
I'm certainly a non-military type, though I remember playing war as a kid, using a well-shaped tree branch for a rifle. I've always been fascinated by combat and military things - and while I did spend time in the US Army in the 60's, I wasn't in Vietnam - in fact, had the Army left me in tanks like I wanted and trained for, I'd probably still be in! Instead they made me a clerk, hence my "handle".

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 51
- 11/8/2000 8:32:00 AM   
BruceAZ

There are six of us that play by email with three in the US, one in England, one in Australia and one on South Africa. ------------------ "0311, Top, just 0311..."

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 52
- 11/8/2000 2:44:00 PM   
Dave S

er number whatever here.Ive been playing wargames since Tactics 2, SPWAW is the best.Implaying the long Russian campaign ,and hope to join multiplayer soon.Will my Cossacks ever get to get off their horses?I think their butts are gettin mighty sore.

the worst

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 53
- 11/9/2000 2:27:00 AM   
Cona

quote:

Originally posted by Gallo Rojo: we’re five guys in Argentina (also know as “el culo del mundo” – I can’t translate this expression). We’re now a really happy team!! Muchas felicitaciones para el equipo de Matrix Games!!
Ok ... sino puedo conseguir un chileno con quien jugar, me conformare con 5 argentinos Pueden contar conmigo para PBEM en cuanto se solucione el problema con el VCR. Enviame un e-mail y conversamos en privado. Saludos a todos, Cona.

"War is much too serious to be entrusted to the military." - Tallyrand

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 54
- 11/9/2000 1:58:00 PM   
AmmoSgt

Number whatever+1 i lost count just wanted to be counted. i play , play at it, and sometimes i ain't playing it gets personnal. i to am waiting for the final OOB's to start the online stuff ...ok well truth be told it has been me vs AI so long ...since maybe atari 800 Tigers in the snow ...haven;t played face to face since the old Strategy and Tactics magazine and GHQ minature days back in the early 70's ... that i am a bit hesitant to risk my ego against some of these young lions ... I love the community of the forum and anytime a "game" makes me worry about troop losses and proper tactics..it's a darn good game . In my experience as a Platoon Sargeant i have found many usefull and helpful 2Lt's.. they are great for going down to supply for cans of overspray and lenghts of flightline they are also helpful for aquiring the rare and hard to get board strechers and the always hard to keep in calibration left handed screw drivers for those pesky reversed threads . I know this tidbit belongs back on the weapons breakdown thread....BUT....small arms malfunction other than due to combat damage should be a rare and amazing thing unless the troops are totally untrained and seriously out of contact with leadership..yes there are exceptions certain systems at certain times throughout history..i think that the average grunts ability to "make it go" "Make it fit" "make it somehow" and accomplish the mission...deserves some serious respect... PS Veterans day in the US is Nov 11 i would like to take this oportunity to thank all the Vets from every nation for the sacrifice they have made and continue to make ..Whatever the cause.. They are special I Luv this Game

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 55
- 11/10/2000 6:46:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Senores, inclusive el Gallo Rojo , mil gracias por haber puesto este juego de guerra en las computadoras de todos ustedes. Este tipo de noticia nos llena de gozo. Aparentemente, desde Espana hasta las islas and toda la America Latina, SPWAW ha tenido buen apoyo e interes'. Por lo cual, perimitanme decirles de parte de nosotros que hemos participado en este esfuerzo que estamos sumamente agradecidos por su apoyo. Saludos a todos. Guillermo, el Salvaje ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Mr.Ed)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI