Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Strategic Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Questions - 10/23/2009 2:37:45 AM   
Concord

Can anyone help with these questions? I have the purchased version of the game.

Support

I've noticed that naval support is only available on some (not all) coastal areas. In one turn against the AI, I wasn't able to allocate any naval support, even to coast areas. Is this right?

I also seem to recall mortar support not being available to all units on the campaign map. How is this availability determined?

Supply

When/how does AB units regain supply? There are some instances where I have taken an exit VL leading to friendly lines, but ammo/fuel remains low. Do you have to take a whole map region before you are considered in supply again?

I haven't been tracking individual team ammo levels during battles, but I assume that as a BG runs low, this will be reflected in the teams ammo levels?

Cohesion

Some BG's (especially AB) have no chance to rest because they are stuck in battle after battle. Had a skim through the manual again, and it basically says that cohesion goes down as losses go up, and cohesion goes up with rest. It also says that the effect of lowered cohesion is that your units will respond slower in battle. Is this right? Any further insights into this feature?

Repair and Replacement

The manual says that infantry units that lose 60% or more of their soldiers will be disbanded (eg. losing 4 out of the 6 men in a typical Allied rifle team), and that BG's out of supply have a reduced chance of replacing lost men.

So does that mean that for example an AB rifle unit that is fighting while out of supply might lose a team permanently if it loses say 2 or 3 men from the 6 man team?

The manual states that there is a 40% chance of recovering damaged vehicles. Does damaged mean immobilised? What about vehicles that have lost one or more crewmen - are they considered damaged?

Game on!
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Questions - 10/23/2009 3:37:36 AM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

Support

I've noticed that naval support is only available on some (not all) coastal areas. In one turn against the AI, I wasn't able to allocate any naval support, even to coast areas. Is this right?

I also seem to recall mortar support not being available to all units on the campaign map. How is this availability determined?

This has been addressed somewhat in the 07b patch

Mortar should be available on any map.

quote:

Supply

When/how does AB units regain supply? There are some instances where I have taken an exit VL leading to friendly lines, but ammo/fuel remains low. Do you have to take a whole map region before you are considered in supply again?

I haven't been tracking individual team ammo levels during battles, but I assume that as a BG runs low, this will be reflected in the teams ammo levels?

The Bg needs to be able to trace an uncontested line of maps back to the supply depots.

After the movement phase is done, each moving BG is reduced one fuel supply level.

After each battle the two BGs involved are each reduced by one ammo supply level.

At the end of each strategic turn supply lines are calculated and BGs are re-supplied or not as the case may be.

quote:

Cohesion

Some BG's (especially AB) have no chance to rest because they are stuck in battle after battle. Had a skim through the manual again, and it basically says that cohesion goes down as losses go up, and cohesion goes up with rest. It also says that the effect of lowered cohesion is that your units will respond slower in battle. Is this right? Any further insights into this feature?

You will find units become very fatigued even starting battles fatigued.

Some will become disorganized and not have full number of team members.

In battle units may not respond so readily to orders but I have not noticed this.

quote:

Repair and Replacement

The manual says that infantry units that lose 60% or more of their soldiers will be disbanded (eg. losing 4 out of the 6 men in a typical Allied rifle team), and that BG's out of supply have a reduced chance of replacing lost men.

So does that mean that for example an AB rifle unit that is fighting while out of supply might lose a team permanently if it loses say 2 or 3 men from the 6 man team?

The manual states that there is a 40% chance of recovering damaged vehicles. Does damaged mean immobilised? What about vehicles that have lost one or more crewmen - are they considered damaged?

yes  to all   (but i will follow that up with a little research)

(in reply to Concord)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Questions - 10/24/2009 6:05:41 AM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

This also means vehicles that are out fuel might be lost. So be careful how much armor you take when the fuel levels are low. If they start and are out of fuel, they may be gone regardless if they take a single hit in the battle.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to Concord)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Questions - 10/25/2009 11:36:56 AM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

So be careful how much armor you take when the fuel levels are low. If they start and are out of fuel, they may be gone regardless if they take a single hit in the battle.

... but if they are not in your active force pool they might be redeployed to the Eastern Front ...

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Questions - 10/25/2009 6:38:20 PM   
Tejszd

A catch 22. Possibly lose them because they ran out of gas or because they got pulled from the forcepool. This new feature is good as you can recreate more historical situations but there is no message that it is happening.... Really would be nice to have a couple spots to reserve/rest units without losing them or their stats if you want them out of the active group.

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategic Questions - 10/25/2009 8:17:50 PM   
Andrew Williams

Just looked at the dta and The Germans don't have any teams removed.... so no chance of a visit to a gulag.

Looking at the data v campaign it looks very unlikely that you could have fuel problems V redeployment problems with the "Special" allied teams, even if you kept them in your active roster throughout nthe campaign.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic Questions - 10/27/2009 11:24:03 AM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

Really would be nice to have a couple spots to reserve/rest units without losing them or their stats if you want them out of the active group.

... à la CC III?

Yes, I agree.

On the other hand, sub-units could and can be redeployed in real life, so why should that not be simulated in the game; although I take your point about being notified as to what is happening.

Looking at the phenomenon from outside the military I wonder how much (real life) redeployment is really necessary. I know that commanders are supposed to have a "menu" of forces from which to form task forces to accomplish missions, but it must have an impact on morale and cohesion. "Mix & match" must carry a price?

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Strategic Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI