Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comprehensive Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/8/2010 7:45:34 PM   
jmlima

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
quote:

ORIGINAL: jmlima

Drop me your email by PM and I'll send you pdf version.

You're able to convert Word to PDF? If so, your services may be required - for King & Country (for King, read Ralph; for Country, read TOAW).

FYI The word program in the free Open Office can also create PDF's

That's precisely what I use, Open Office.

You can also use works and Primo PDF for example...

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 541
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/8/2010 10:25:01 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

quote:

Nothing received though...

First time I sent it to your 'e-mail.' This time I used the actual 'pm' button.

Got. Thanks.

My...

I want to read through this and comment -- should create the potential for many, many happy hours chatting with Curtis -- but 44 pages?

The next time I have insomnia, I guess.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 542
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/10/2010 3:39:11 AM   
L`zard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski
FYI The word program in the free Open Office can also create PDF's

Huh! So it does! Nice catch, Sil!

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 543
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/10/2010 11:29:00 AM   
parmenio

For a number of years I've used "CutePDF" for printing Microsoft Word documents to PDF. It installs as a Windows Printer Driver.

OpenOffice, of course, works great too but if you've already got Microsoft Office installed, you might as well use the above. Also I've had a number of formatting issues switching documents from one to the other.

(in reply to L`zard)
Post #: 544
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/10/2010 4:36:38 PM   
Telumar

quote:

quote:

Drop me your email by PM and I'll send you pdf version.

You're able to convert Word to PDF? If so, your services may be required - for King & Country (for King, read Ralph; for Country, read TOAW).

I have an Acrobat Pro. Why is it required?

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 545
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/11/2010 3:41:04 PM   
Panama

"5.2.5 And if Ratio < 0.1, then further chance the attack will be treated as no more than a bombardment – with no artillery bonus, no defender supply cost, and counterbattery fire enabled. In this case, if the assault was supported, then the ground assault doesn’t even take place."

Reading this it seems to say it will be possible for the defender to fire artillery without using ammo? Is this correct or am I misunderstanding something?

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 546
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/11/2010 4:47:35 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

"5.2.5 And if Ratio < 0.1, then further chance the attack will be treated as no more than a bombardment – with no artillery bonus, no defender supply cost, and counterbattery fire enabled. In this case, if the assault was supported, then the ground assault doesn’t even take place."

Reading this it seems to say it will be possible for the defender to fire artillery without using ammo? Is this correct or am I misunderstanding something?

The attack would be converted into a bombardment and would function just like a bombardment works now: There would be no ground assault - rather, the attacker's directly assigned supporting artillery would just bombard the defender. The defender would not pay supply unless it was a ranged unit - then it may fire counterbattery at the bombarding attackers. If so, it would pay the same 10 supply as counterbattery costs now.

Now, if the attack didn't have any directly assigned supporting artillery, it can't be converted into a bombardment, so it gets treated a little differently. The assault still takes place but, because it is so small and weak, the defender still pays no supply costs.

Remember, the purpose of this feature is to make the use of ant unit assaults useless.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 547
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/11/2010 7:24:15 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

The attack would be converted into a bombardment and would function just like a bombardment works now: There would be no ground assault - rather, the attacker's directly assigned supporting artillery would just bombard the defender. The defender would not pay supply unless it was a ranged unit - then it may fire counterbattery at the bombarding attackers. If so, it would pay the same 10 supply as counterbattery costs now.

Now, if the attack didn't have any directly assigned supporting artillery, it can't be converted into a bombardment, so it gets treated a little differently. The assault still takes place but, because it is so small and weak, the defender still pays no supply costs.

Remember, the purpose of this feature is to make the use of ant unit assaults useless.

Well, good. Assuming the ratios turn out to be about right, then that's another house rule I can delete.

I gotta say, the more I think about how this would work when measured against historical situations, the more I like it.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 548
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/12/2010 12:25:51 AM   
secadegas

quote:

Now, if the attack didn't have any directly assigned supporting artillery, it can't be converted into a bombardment

What about range 1 artillery? Usually it shouldn't be used in direct support.

Or most probably I'm not getting what you meant at all...

Post #: 549
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/12/2010 4:05:12 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sekadegas

quote:

Now, if the attack didn't have any directly assigned supporting artillery, it can't be converted into a bombardment

Range 1 artillery now bombards instead of assaults (assuming it really consists of mostly artillery). So, it figures into the above the same as artillery directly assigned at other ranges.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 550
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/12/2010 4:37:11 PM   
secadegas

quote:

quote:

quote:

Range 1 artillery now bombards instead of assaults (assuming it really consists of mostly artillery). So, it figures into the above the same as artillery directly assigned at other ranges.

Understood. Thanks.

Post #: 551
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/12/2010 6:59:13 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

What happens if you use range two (or longer) artillery to attack an adjacent unit?

The situation was admittedly unusual, but in the account of the 1942 Phillippine campaign I read, the heavily-American officered artillery often not only bombarded, but literally led counterattacks. It was the only way to get the less heavily-American officered Filipino infantry to go.

Point is, the artillery is definitely attacking, not bombarding.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 552
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/12/2010 8:20:37 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

What happens if you use range two (or longer) artillery to attack an adjacent unit?

The situation was admittedly unusual, but in the account of the 1942 Phillippine campaign I read, the heavily-American officered artillery often not only bombarded, but literally led counterattacks. It was the only way to get the less heavily-American officered Filipino infantry to go.

I would suggest in this case, the unit should have a generous helping of light rifle squads. This should "stiffen" the unit in a realistic fashion- and hopefully avoid triggering the automatic bombard in the case you're describing.

Anyway, definitely better than not having the rule. As it is, my Russians can't paste the enemy with masses of artillery before an offensive if the map scale is 20km/hex.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 553
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/12/2010 10:11:59 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

I would suggest in this case, the unit should have a generous helping of light rifle squads. This should "stiffen" the unit in a realistic fashion- and hopefully avoid triggering the automatic bombard in the case you're describing.

Anyway, definitely better than not having the rule. As it is, my Russians can't paste the enemy with masses of artillery before an offensive if the map scale is 20km/hex.

Yeah, I agree. It just came to mind.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 554
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/12/2010 10:23:24 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Again, like range-1 artillery, it will bombard if more than half its attack strength is from ranged equipment.

quote:

It would have been nice if we could have implemented a popup choice to cover that situation, but Ralph said that was too complicated a change for now. Clearly, this is an improvement over the way it was, where adjacent artillery always assaulted and never bombarded.

Post #: 555
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/14/2010 4:15:21 AM   
ColinWright

Maybe there's something here I haven't considered, but...

I was mapping Eastern Anatolia, and getting mildly annoyed because, on the one hand, rivers cost movement points in OPART, but on the other hand, in reality, river valleys are usually the main avenues of movement -- even when there aren't roads.

Of course, generally, what costs movement isn't moving along the river, but crossing the river.

Wouldn't it work better overall if the movement penalty was charged for exiting the river hex rather than entering it?  Pros, cons, and special cases of course, but it seems to me that this would still exact the cost for crossing the river without exacting a penalty for moving along it.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 556
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/14/2010 10:48:50 PM   
ColinWright

And while I'm on the subject...

How about treating wadi and river in a similar way? They do, after all, pose similar military problems -- yet one benefits from being on the wadi if one is the defender, while in the case of rivers, one benefits if the attacker is on the river.

I'll add that in many cases, the wadi is the usual avenue of movement. As with rivers, it seems to me if the movement cost would occur when one exits the wadi for a non-wadi hex rather than when one enters the wadi hex. It might or might not be a programming challenge -- but it does seem it would be preferable.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/14/2010 10:50:49 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 557
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/15/2010 5:38:44 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I was mapping Eastern Anatolia, and getting mildly annoyed because, on the one hand, rivers cost movement points in OPART, but on the other hand, in reality, river valleys are usually the main avenues of movement -- even when there aren't roads.

Of course, generally, what costs movement isn't moving along the river, but crossing the river.

I don't see how moving along a river should be as cost free as moving along an open, flat plain. The river meanders, it has side tributaries, it cuts out gorges that may even need tunneling, etc. Think of the difficulty of putting in a road through a mountain gorge vs. through Kansas. The real reason the river is the avenue of movement in those cases isn't because it's so easy to move along the valley, but because it's so difficult or impossible to move by any other path. That needs to be effected by judicious use of alpine, escarpments, etc.

quote:

Wouldn't it work better overall if the movement penalty was charged for exiting the river hex rather than entering it?  Pros, cons, and special cases of course, but it seems to me that this would still exact the cost for crossing the river without exacting a penalty for moving along it.

That, in and of itself, wouldn't accomplish anything. The cost of moving along the valley would be the same. Only if the game handled all the permutations of how the river hexes could be configured and associated together could what you want be effected. And that would be a huge task. It would even have to consider which side of the river the unit was moving on - the side with the branch or the side without.

Post #: 558
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/15/2010 5:43:04 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

How about treating wadi and river in a similar way? They do, after all, pose similar military problems -- yet one benefits from being on the wadi if one is the defender, while in the case of rivers, one benefits if the attacker is on the river.

The wadi functions like a trench. The river functions like a barrier. Nevertheless, see item 2.2 in the Wishlist.

Post #: 559
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/15/2010 7:22:20 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I don't see how moving along a river should be as cost free as moving along an open, flat plain. The river meanders, it has side tributaries, it cuts out gorges that may even need tunneling, etc. Think of the difficulty of putting in a road through a mountain gorge vs. through Kansas. The real reason the river is the avenue of movement in those cases isn't because it's so easy to move along the valley, but because it's so difficult or impossible to move by any other path. That needs to be effected by judicious use of alpine, escarpments, etc.

The thing is, the comparison usually isn't with Kansas. The fact remains: while the route of travel in real life is more often right along the river than not, in OPART that river constitutes an added barrier at every hex.
quote:

quote:

That, in and of itself, wouldn't accomplish anything. The cost of moving along the valley would be the same. Only if the game handled all the permutations of how the river hexes could be configured and associated together could what you want be effected. And that would be a huge task. It would even have to consider which side of the river the unit was moving on - the side with the branch or the side without.

I didn't make it clear what I was proposing. There wouldn't be any cost for entering a river hex, or for leaving a river hex for another river hex; only for leaving the river hex for a non-river hex. It seems to me that this still imposes a cost for crossing the river without imposing one for moving along it.

...however, yeah, the branches do pose a problem. In fact, that's actually a pretty good counterargument.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/15/2010 10:03:06 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 560
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/15/2010 7:26:13 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

The wadi functions like a trench. The river functions like a barrier. Nevertheless, see item 2.2 in the Wishlist.

This merely restates my point. Either treatment would be valid; using both at once creates incongruities.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 561
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/16/2010 7:50:06 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

The thing is, the comparison usually isn't with Kansas. The fact remains: while the route of travel in real life is more often right along the river than not, in OPART that river constitutes an added barrier at every hex.

But, it usually should be at least some added cost. The river doesn't travel in a nice neat straight line and its sides tend to be other than dry, un-tributaried ground. Just the fact that it meanders can double the distance traveled. And, if it's going through a mountain gorge (per your example), the costs can skyrocket. But, I'll admit, the cost probably shouldn't be equivalent to crossing the river for most cases.

quote:

I didn't make it clear what I was proposing. There wouldn't be any cost for entering a river hex, or for leaving a river hex for another river hex; only for leaving the river hex for a non-river hex. It seems to me that this still imposes a cost for crossing the river without imposing one for moving along it.

Then the switch to paying the cost upon leaving is unnecessary. What you want is to just pay the cost when you enter like now, and then there would be no further cost (or a reduced cost) until the river hexes were exited and then re-entered.

quote:

...however, yeah, the branches do pose a problem. In fact, that's actually a pretty good counterargument.

Branches, bends in the river, and parallel rivers would all be issues. It's doable. But pretty tough.

Post #: 562
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/16/2010 7:54:51 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

This merely restates my point. Either treatment would be valid; using both at once creates incongruities.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that in real life, the wadi functions like a trench. So it should be modeled like a trench for defense. The river doesn't function like a trench in real life (unless you have a unit of frogmen). It functions like a barrier in real life. So it needs to be modeled differently - depending upon where the unit is supposed to be within the river hex. What I suggested in item 2.2 was that we might infer the unit's position from the context of how it got there.

Post #: 563
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/16/2010 8:34:13 PM   
Panama

Hiways follow river valleys because the river has carved a nice flat path for it. Look at I-80 along the Platte or I-29 along the Missouri. Nice and flat but go a few kilometers either way and loads of hills and valleys. Lots cheaper than cutting through hills and filling hollars.

You could do as Collin suggests and penalize units for leaving rivers. If they are moving along a river and cross a tributary charge them for leaving the tributary. Not sure how the programming would go but it's not a difficult programming problem. If the river moves through hills charge the hill rate. If it moves through woods charge the wood rate, etc.

Of course there's the problem of what to do if the unit leaves the same side of the river as they entered. They didn't cross, why a movement penalty? But then the same situation appears as things are now too. Why the movement penalty if the hex was merely entered but the river never crossed?

BTW, it's been my experience most wadis and their kin are too deep to function as trenches without alot of modification.

< Message edited by Panama -- 1/16/2010 8:35:41 PM >

Post #: 564
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/16/2010 9:07:03 PM   
Abnormalmind

Don't shoot the messenger

Perhaps, sometime in the future, rivers could be moved to the spine of the hex instead of running through the hex. I know, major code change. The game could query the type of map to apply one set of functions and calls, and different functions and calls if a new spine-river map is used.

I don't think that spine-rivers and hex-rivers should be comingled, rather just one or the other.

I'm sure there are many pros and cons to hex-rivers, but I've always thought that spine-rivers were the way to go. Perhaps, just tossing out coding ideas, spine rivers could be an overlay.

Time to duck and run like a ninja.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 565
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/16/2010 9:39:51 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant that in real life, the wadi functions like a trench.

Definitely an assertion only you could make.

quote:

So it should be modeled like a trench for defense. The river doesn't function like a trench in real life (unless you have a unit of frogmen). It functions like a barrier in real life. So it needs to be modeled differently - depending upon where the unit is supposed to be within the river hex. What I suggested in item 2.2 was that we might infer the unit's position from the context of how it got there.

This ignores reality. Nobody gets down into the wadi to defend it.

They defend it just like they would a river. What's more, three times out of four, it's the valley the river has cut rather than the river itself that is militarily significant. BIG rivers are a different story, but even with a fair-sized stream like the Meuse at Sedan, what made it a militarily significant obstacle was that the heights along the left bank allowed the defenders to keep the attackers under fire as they attempted to cross. Fredericksburg also comes to mind. Substantially, the Rapahannock could have been a wadi. Lee would have defended it exactly the same way.

In short, wadis and rivers tend to present a similar problem. The attacker is delayed while crossing and is exposed to fire from the heights or the opposite bank or whatever. I'll also note that just as with rivers, wadis have to be bridged, and those bridges can be blown up -- except in OPART.

As matters stand, TOAW treats the two as if they were opposites -- when in fact they are closely similar. Indeed, they segue into each other. Consider the sequence Somme-Colorado-Litani-Wadi whatever. It's not all the same thing -- but the problem is similar. Get across while under fire. It doesn't work to draw a line somewhere and declare that at some point the whole situation reverses 180 degrees.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/16/2010 9:53:01 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 566
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/16/2010 9:41:24 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Abnormalmind

Perhaps, sometime in the future, rivers could be moved to the spine of the hex instead of running through the hex. I know, major code change. The game could query the type of map to apply one set of functions and calls, and different functions and calls if a new spine-river map is used.

I don't think that spine-rivers and hex-rivers should be comingled, rather just one or the other.

I'm sure there are many pros and cons to hex-rivers, but I've always thought that spine-rivers were the way to go. Perhaps, just tossing out coding ideas, spine rivers could be an overlay.

Ninjas don't run, they attack!

There's code in there for hex-side features like escarpments, so I don't think that it's an extreme effort to add in spine-rivers too into the main code. I'm not sure whether it needs to be an either or or whether they could co-exist but couldn't touch each other without adding a lot more graphics and code than it's probably worth. Riverine units probably couldn't travel on spine rivers initially.

The major problem would be modifying the editor. The editor is more complicated than it should be, and I've tried very hard not to modify it, so I have no idea how long adding it into the editor would take.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Abnormalmind)
Post #: 567
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/16/2010 9:47:55 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Abnormalmind

Ninjas don't run, they attack!

There's code in there for hex-side features like escarpments, so I don't think that it's an extreme effort to add in spine-rivers too into the main code. I'm not sure whether it needs to be an either or or whether they could co-exist but couldn't touch each other without adding a lot more graphics and code than it's probably worth. Riverine units probably couldn't travel on spine rivers initially.

The major problem would be modifying the editor. The editor is more complicated than it should be, and I've tried very hard not to modify it, so I have no idea how long adding it into the editor would take.

Ralph

One could tell the computer that the 'river' is a double-sided escarpement and add tiles. Obviously, designers would run into problems if they attempted to include both old-style and new-style rivers in a scenario...but they can just control themselves if they want the hex-side rivers.

In fact, and sometimes, I already do use double-sided escarpments to represent mountain streams. Visually, it sucks, but otherwise, it's often the best available way to represent the situation.

However, this does little to address the phenomenon that I noticed -- that in real life, the river valley tends to provide the best route, but in OPART-land, one wants to stay at lest 2.5-50 km away from that water...not at all the same thing.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/16/2010 9:51:06 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 568
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/17/2010 12:18:30 AM   
Panama

quote:

One could tell the computer that the 'river' is a double-sided escarpement and add tiles. Obviously, designers would run into problems if they attempted to include both old-style and new-style rivers in a scenario...but they can just control themselves if they want the hex-side rivers.

In fact, and sometimes, I already do use double-sided escarpments to represent mountain streams. Visually, it sucks, but otherwise, it's often the best available way to represent the situation.

However, this does little to address the phenomenon that I noticed -- that in real life, the river valley tends to provide the best route, but in OPART-land, one wants to stay at lest 2.5-50 km away from that water...not at all the same thing.

There are alot of rivers that could use escarpments on either or both sides. They don't need to be in mountains for that. The Missouri where I live has tall bluffs on either side of a wide valley. Escarpments could model that easily. No way anything but infantry could get up either side without a cut or road. No one seems to do it though.

Post #: 569
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 1/17/2010 2:17:56 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

There are alot of rivers that could use escarpments on either or both sides. They don't need to be in mountains for that. The Missouri where I live has tall bluffs on either side of a wide valley. Escarpments could model that easily. No way anything but infantry could get up either side without a cut or road. No one seems to do it though.

I tend to see a certain amount of escarpment as factored into the 'river.' As I say, the actual flow of water is only one consideration.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/17/2010 2:20:41 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI