Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pillbox bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Pillbox bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pillbox bug - 11/15/2000 1:03:00 AM   
Lanorac

Hey, In 4.4, in the first scenario AFTER the tutorial, where I (as Germany) need to defend against a Russian assault, and there are two crossroads that are heavily fought over, with Victory points in the middle of the crossroads. I have the two pillboxes in my defense line. At some point I noticed that some enemy tanks registered as targets, although they were out of the angle I could shoot at. At first, I didn't know that, so I tried to shoot. Now, the pillbox wouldn't shoot at all, but the reactionary fire came from the tank anyhow. Every single time I tried to fire at the registered target at off-angles, the pillbox didn't fire, but the tank reacted. Looks like a bug to me. In the end, I was able to hold all the victory points and the Russian suffered a crushing defeat, so I enjoyed it anyhow Sami

Post #: 1
- 11/15/2000 1:54:00 AM   
Peregrine Falcon

Muistaakseni ikivanha bugi Steeleissä. Tuskinpa koskaan korjataan, vaikka on kyllä ärsyttävä sellainen. (old bugs never die....they just get harder to kill =)
quote:

Originally posted by Lanorac: Hey, In 4.4, in the first scenario AFTER the tutorial, where I (as Germany) need to defend against a Russian assault, and there are two crossroads that are heavily fought over, with Victory points in the middle of the crossroads. I have the two pillboxes in my defense line. At some point I noticed that some enemy tanks registered as targets, although they were out of the angle I could shoot at. At first, I didn't know that, so I tried to shoot. Now, the pillbox wouldn't shoot at all, but the reactionary fire came from the tank anyhow. Every single time I tried to fire at the registered target at off-angles, the pillbox didn't fire, but the tank reacted. Looks like a bug to me. In the end, I was able to hold all the victory points and the Russian suffered a crushing defeat, so I enjoyed it anyhow Sami

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 2
- 11/15/2000 2:23:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Since I can't even fabricate an explanation , we'll have to call it a bug. Unless for some reason the tanks took your intentions as a threat, even though you could not carry them through Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 3
- 11/15/2000 3:11:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by Lanorac: Hey, In 4.4, in the first scenario AFTER the tutorial, where I (as Germany) need to defend against a Russian assault, and there are two crossroads that are heavily fought over, with Victory points in the middle of the crossroads. I have the two pillboxes in my defense line. At some point I noticed that some enemy tanks registered as targets, although they were out of the angle I could shoot at. At first, I didn't know that, so I tried to shoot. Now, the pillbox wouldn't shoot at all, but the reactionary fire came from the tank anyhow. Every single time I tried to fire at the registered target at off-angles, the pillbox didn't fire, but the tank reacted. Looks like a bug to me. In the end, I was able to hold all the victory points and the Russian suffered a crushing defeat, so I enjoyed it anyhow Sami
I noticed that back in V2.3 the first time I tried using forifications. Just think of it as the crew of that pillbox blowing a rasberry at the opposing forces to trick them into wasting ammo. Early in the war, the 100+ armor per side heavy forifications are immune to almost everything except satchel charges. Later in the war, when the 85mm+ guns start showing up on tanks they do get blown up but require quite a few hits to take out on average. thanks, John.

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 4
- 11/15/2000 3:17:00 AM   
Redleg

This is a little bug that dates back to SP3. You can see this with units that are "out of ammo" who attempt to pop smoke also. Also mortars that have expended all HE and then try to fire a smoke round. Ditto for armor. Some bunkers are a bit mystifying because it is hard to know exactly what their field of fire is.

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 5
- 11/15/2000 5:58:00 AM   
Warrior

I've had the same thing happen, a unit can see a target, but is out of range, etc. But if I try to fire by mistake, I get fired on instead - it's like I was pressing the enemy fire button. I've had it happen with almost every kind of unit, though, so I wonder if the computer figures I made myself visible by targeting, hence I became the target!

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 6
- 11/15/2000 7:11:00 AM   
Greybear

quote:

Sami, your pillbox bug has been around forever, my memory is SP1. it will also happen with immobilized SP and Assault guns. It is one of those things that isn't annoying enough to fix (I guess).

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 7
- 11/15/2000 4:42:00 PM   
Fabs

This has happened to me, too. Annoying, isnt'it? It can happen also when you are left with shots for Smgs or Hgs and try to blast an opponent that is too far away. However, I rationalize it thus: - the enemy may get lucky and some eagle eyed scout has spotted your pillbox. - You get punished for being impulsive and not checking that your unit can attack. It is a little bit like saying: "your unit is in s**t up to its eyeballs. It should try to melt into the background, but one of your men does something silly and attracts attention and fire". The silly man is you, because with experience you learn that pressing the fire button sometimes has unwanted consequences, if you don't check your ability to deliver the attack. This is the sort of little inconvenience that keeps you on your toes and increases the "imponderable" element of war. I love it! ------------------ Fabs [This message has been edited by Fabs (edited November 15, 2000).]

Fabs

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 8
- 11/15/2000 4:52:00 PM   
Fabs

This has happened to me, too. Annoying, isnt'it? However, I rationalize it thus: the enemy may get lucky and some eagle eyed scout has spotted you. You get punished for being impulsive and not checking that your unit can attack. This is the sort of little inconvenience that keeps you on your toes and increases the "imponderable" element of war. I love it! ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 9
- 11/15/2000 5:02:00 PM   
Fabs

quote:

Originally posted by Fabs: This has happened to me, too. Annoying, isnt'it? However, I rationalize it thus: the enemy may get lucky and some eagle eyed scout has spotted you. You get punished for being impulsive and not checking that your unit can attack. This is the sort of little inconvenience that keeps you on your toes and increases the "imponderable" element of war. I love it!
Beats me how this got to appear twice guys, sorry!

Fabs

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 10
- 11/16/2000 5:22:00 PM   
molset

Greetings gentlemen. This bug, was a bug to me and I recognize the circumstances lanorac describes in the Peterhof scenario. But as Fabs explains wery well this "bug" can be rationalised into a real world imitation. Enough said. "Jakki er ekki frakki nema sidur se" MOlset

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 11
- 11/16/2000 11:13:00 PM   
Windo von Paene

I've seen this pollbox "bug" as well. But I have also seen the same behavior if you fire a unit which has run out of "long-range shots" at a unit outside of it's range. e.g 0:0:0:1 fires at a unit at range of 10.

(in reply to Lanorac)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Pillbox bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI