Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 2:26:22 PM   
sven6345789

Hi, thanks for the AAR

the dots along the railway lines are possible airbases i presume?

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 151
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 2:36:23 PM   
Capitaine

Why are the numbers for "Recent Battle" and "Permanent - Current Turn" losses shown for the Soviets so low? (88 and 20 men; 3 and 3 guns; and 7 and 0 AFV, respectively.) The Soviets are losing more men than the German each turn, but these two columns don't seem to reflect that. Just interested in knowing what the figures in those two columns are showing if different from the German figures in the same two columns. It's a strange disparity to me.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 152
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 2:39:21 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Things look wide open in the far south but I suspect it's more a case of inadequate recon.

How do get your recon ? Is the map and enemy symbols depicted the recon summary ? Or do you have some sort of "written" intel report such as in WitP and provided by the guys from FHO (Fremde Heere Ost = German Intel at the Eastern Front).

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 153
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 2:46:10 PM   
elmo3

I was talking about not doing enough air recon.  When you fly air recon you may, or may not, reveal enemy units on the map or raise the detection level of already spotted units (up to level 4).

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 154
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 2:47:35 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: sven6345789

Hi, thanks for the AAR

the dots along the railway lines are possible airbases i presume?

Those are towns.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 155
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 2:53:21 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

Why are the numbers for "Recent Battle" and "Permanent - Current Turn" losses shown for the Soviets so low? (88 and 20 men; 3 and 3 guns; and 7 and 0 AFV, respectively.) The Soviets are losing more men than the German each turn, but these two columns don't seem to reflect that. Just interested in knowing what the figures in those two columns are showing if different from the German figures in the same two columns. It's a strange disparity to me.

That is due in part to the way the info is reported right now. It should be cleared up when we get a true PBEM or Hotseat setup. You don't see accurate numbers for the Soviets because the AI is playing the Soviets and those numbers appear at the end of the Soviet turn. For peace of mind I'd say ignore all the numbers but the permanent losses in the right most column.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 156
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 3:39:17 PM   
sven6345789

so where can you base air groups/units?

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 157
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 4:15:33 PM   
PyleDriver

Theres the 1st Cav Divsion attached to 2nd PzG that withdraws on turn 21. There are two SS mot brigades that come into play also...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 158
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 4:41:08 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: sven6345789

so where can you base air groups/units?

You want to keep your airbases in clear or light woods terrain. Otherwise air units can't fly from them. That is from memory since foe some reason I can't find it in the manual right now.

WitE alpha/beta tester

Post #: 159
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 5:24:07 PM   
j campbell

Hi pyledriver and Elmo,

thanks for the updates-this is awesome. I have been literally awaiting a game of this magnitude and scope for the computer for over 20 years. 1st cav dividion subordinate to 24th PZ K part of panzergruppe Guderian (from 27th july 1941) is correct. I believe there was an SS cav brigade of 2 regiments under the command of fegelein (i might be mistaken if he was in command or just served in the unit).

Furthermore, what is the unit that has a half gray and half black as its colors? i see it located in the first screenshot and again in one of the last. is mot. inf regiment Grossdeutschland its own counter or considered a support unit at this time? 4th SS Polizei div-is that unit currently a part of AGC in your game? I thought for sure i had counted 4 SS divisions in your latest encirclement from AGC with the SS sealing the pocket. is it possibloe for you to upload a divisonal information screenshot? Is there a difference in abilities between some of your better units than the others? For instance i would rate the 29th motorized div as superior to say 3rd SS totenkopk given equivilant men and machines.

Once again thanks for your patience and time to answer questions from all of us on the bench here :)
cheers,
john

< Message edited by j campbell -- 2/20/2010 5:35:56 PM >

"the willow branch but bends beneath the snow"

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 160
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 5:43:32 PM   
USSLockwood

I'm very interested in the situation facing AGC.  If you were able to break through to Mogilev and Vitebsk, I think the Smolensk defense would crack rather suddenly.

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to j campbell)
Post #: 161
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 6:09:43 PM   
HerzKaraya

True,

1. Kavallerie-Division was part of 24.PzK, last appeared in Gomel on November 5th 1941 and was transformed into 24.Pz.Div on the 28th.

1. SS.Mot.Div "LSSAH" was directly attached to 1.PzGr, HGS
2. SS.Mot.Div "Das Reich" and Mot.Inf.Rgt "Grossdeutschland" were part of 64.PzK, 2.PzGr, HGN
3. SS.Mot.Div "Totenkopf" was directly attached to 4.PzGr, HGN
4. SS.Mot.Div "Polizei" was attached to 50.AK, HG"D", behind HGN, but later attached to 9.Armee, HGM
5. SS.Mot.Div. "Wiking" was part of 4.AK(mot), 1.PzGr, HGS

1. SS.Mot.Rgt "RFSS" was attached to 42.AK (Reserve), 9.Armee, HGM

SS Kavallerie Brigade was created and used mainly in August 1941 to clean the Pripet Marshes from partisans.

I agree with j campbell that SS Divisions, at least at the beginning of the war, are usually highly overrated, and that many regular army counterparts had much more experience and behaved better in battle.

Vista, suerte y al toro!

(in reply to j campbell)
Post #: 162
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 6:53:41 PM   
tiger111

The 4th SS Div Polizie was not a motorized division. It was an infantry outfit. It was not an "elite" SS div-in fact performed quite poorly. It started the campaign in AGN.

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 163
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 7:08:53 PM   
Pford

quote:

1st cav dividion subordinate to 24th PZ K part of panzergruppe Guderian (from 27th july 1941) is correct. I believe there was an SS cav brigade of 2 regiments under the command of fegelein (i might be mistaken if he was in command or just served in the unit).

The amount of research this type of game entails must be awe-inspiring. Maybe exceeded only by WiTP. Good luck.

(in reply to tiger111)
Post #: 164
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 7:23:33 PM   
PyleDriver

The half gray and black units are SS, however there not elite SS...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Pford)
Post #: 165
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 8:05:18 PM   
elmo3

XXVI and I Corps from the 18th Army (purple) have taken the high road and moved through Tallinn unopposed.  They will continue east along the coast. 4th Pz Grp (red) and the rest of 18th Army have taken Pskov and will drive northeast toward Leningrad.  16th Army (pink) will continue to support the right flank and try to maintain contact with AGS to the south.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 166
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 8:14:44 PM   
elmo3

In contrast we are not making good progress in the center.  The 3rd Pz Grp's (light green) bridgehead over the Dvina in the north expanded a bit but we have not achieved the breakout we need yet.  There was heavy fighting south of Mogilev but 2nd Pz Grp (light blue) only managed to get 17th Pz Div across the Dnepr.  The 4th Army (dark blue) is holding the right flank and clearing the marsh slowly.  It's hard for them to remember the goal is to drain the swamp when they are up to their asses in Soviet alligators.   2nd Army (medium blue) and six OKH reserve divisions (white) are still marching toward the sound of the guns.  In the center 9th Army (green) is slowly pushing eastward.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 167
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 8:19:08 PM   
elmo3

AGS forces liquidated the Soviet pocket west of Zhitomir and may have the start of a breakthrough to the northwest of the city.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 168
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 8:22:28 PM   
elmo3

In the far south we continue to make slow but steady progress, limited only by the speed of our foot soldiers so far.  Could Odessa fall next week?  Stay tuned...

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 169
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 8:31:03 PM   
elmo3

Losses through turn 5:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 170
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 8:41:04 PM   
elmo3

Somebody asked for a divisional information screen shot.  Here is the 17th Pz Div that I mentioned was the only unit to cross the Dnepr near Mogilev.  Note the almost complete lack of fuel.  They aren't going far this turn.  That is what the red triangle in the upper left corner signifies in this case.

And here is the TOE for the 17th Pz Div.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/20/2010 8:45:29 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 171
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 9:30:14 PM   
Balou

quote:

Here is the 17th Pz Div that I mentioned was the only unit to cross the Dnepr near Mogilev. Note the almost complete lack of fuel. They aren't going far this turn

Does 'almost out of fuel' reduce the defense capabilities of the 17 PzDiv ? I mean in case the AI decides to counter-attack the bridgehead can we assume that moving isn't necessary at all for a defender to hold? Would a fuel amount of less than 10% be enough for a PzDiv to safely retire across a river (of cause I don't assume this will happen that early in Barbarossa, but just in case) ?

Thanks again for this AAR

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 172
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 9:36:30 PM   
j campbell

hi lee,

Are the units led (by leader) at the division or at corps level. Awesome screenshot. You took some serious casualties in the last turn roughly 20,000 if i am not mistaken from end of turn 4 to end of turn 5. That would make you 32 days into the campaign.

So your losses are about what the wehrmacht had lost at that stage:

Killed Wounded Missing
June (22-30) 8,886 29,494 2,707
July 48,470 125,579 9.051

I realise this is very early, ( WE ARE IN ALPHA) but are there any variants on the initial set up of forces or are all the designations/units placement already established for the opening turn?

thanks again,
john

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 173
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 9:38:59 PM   
j campbell

hi lee,

1 more thing before i forget-your bridgehead there-is it across a bridge/railway hex or can you cross a major river anywhere with panzer/motorized troops? If counterattacked and forced to retreat across that river would you sustain increased losses?

thanks,
john

(in reply to j campbell)
Post #: 174
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 9:52:28 PM   
Bronze

Thanks for the AAR - the time is appreciated.

Could you comment on the reserve and security divisions?

Can you stack the airbases and have an uber base?

And what about the TOE being above 100% for certain items?

How does the handling of generals work? And down to what level?

Post #: 175
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 10:27:05 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

quote:

Here is the 17th Pz Div that I mentioned was the only unit to cross the Dnepr near Mogilev. Note the almost complete lack of fuel. They aren't going far this turn

Does 'almost out of fuel' reduce the defense capabilities of the 17 PzDiv ? I mean in case the AI decides to counter-attack the bridgehead can we assume that moving isn't necessary at all for a defender to hold? Would a fuel amount of less than 10% be enough for a PzDiv to safely retire across a river (of cause I don't assume this will happen that early in Barbarossa, but just in case) ?

Thanks again for this AAR

Moving across a major river (not into an enemy ZOC) for mech/motor units costs the terrain +4 so 17th Pz will not be retreating. Fuel does not affect combat IIRC.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 176
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 10:36:04 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: j campbell

hi lee,

Are the units led (by leader) at the division or at corps level. Awesome screenshot. You took some serious casualties in the last turn roughly 20,000 if i am not mistaken from end of turn 4 to end of turn 5. That would make you 32 days into the campaign.

So your losses are about what the wehrmacht had lost at that stage:

Killed Wounded Missing
June (22-30) 8,886 29,494 2,707
July 48,470 125,579 9.051

I realise this is very early, ( WE ARE IN ALPHA) but are there any variants on the initial set up of forces or are all the designations/units placement already established for the opening turn?

thanks again,
john

Leaders are Corps and up. No variants in the setup.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to j campbell)
Post #: 177
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 10:38:12 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: j campbell

hi lee,

1 more thing before i forget-your bridgehead there-is it across a bridge/railway hex or can you cross a major river anywhere with panzer/motorized troops? If counterattacked and forced to retreat across that river would you sustain increased losses?

thanks,
john

You can cross anywhere but it costs a lot to cross a major river with mech/motor units. Rail hex does not affect that unless you are entrained. Don't think there are any extra losses for the river but I don't have the manual open now so any other testers can correct me if that is incorrect.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to j campbell)
Post #: 178
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 10:39:45 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Von Hindenburg

Thanks for the AAR - the time is appreciated.

Could you comment on the reserve and security divisions?

Can you stack the airbases and have an uber base?

And what about the TOE being above 100% for certain items?

How does the handling of generals work? And down to what level?

I have to go out for the night so if no other testers chime in here I'll answer these questions tomorrow.

Nice to see everyone enjoying the AAR.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Bronze)
Post #: 179
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/20/2010 11:33:42 PM   
PyleDriver

Well Lee, even if a unit doesn't have the MP's to retreat, if forced to retreat across a river it will, but the unit looks pretty ugly on the other side, really ugly...Theres attrition for retreats, more so, I believe, or I've seen across rivers....

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI