Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 1:44:47 AM   
elmo3

German units are allowed in Finland but there are restrictions on where they can go.  I don't recall the details and some are still being worked out I think.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Platypus)
Post #: 271
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 2:49:20 AM   
critter

Other than the Army colors..Are there any settings that show the indivigual unit ID's
Or just the generic div/ brigade symbols?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 272
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 2:58:21 AM   
elmo3

No there is nothing on the units that show their ID.  You can mouse over a unit to see it's ID.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to critter)
Post #: 273
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 3:58:50 AM   
Captain B

Hey Elmo3, thanks again for the AAR...I am learning so much about the playablility of the game that it should really help when it is issued this year. The only comment is how could you let a little bit of snow hold you up...had about a foot here on Tuesday as well with power out all day too...oh well, upstate ny is such a lovely place for the three or four weeks of summer we have.

You mentioned you are playing the weather as random...in the screenshots that matrix has up they show the weather spreading across the continent giving you some kind of warning that the mud is coming.

Does the alpha version still do this? Can you show us the weather when it does start to show up. Up close and the extended area. Thanks.

Captain B

Attachment (1)

There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 274
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 11:26:18 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain B

Hey Elmo3, thanks again for the AAR...

You mentioned you are playing the weather as random...in the screenshots that matrix has up they show the weather spreading across the continent giving you some kind of warning that the mud is coming.

Does the alpha version still do this? Can you show us the weather when it does start to show up. Up close and the extended area. Thanks.

Captain B

Glad you like the AAR. I'm not aware of any weather warning. There are 4 weather zones as you can see in the screen shot below. Can't quite fit the whole map in one shot but you get the idea. Right now all zones are Clear as of turn 11.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/26/2010 4:55:19 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Captain B)
Post #: 275
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 4:00:17 PM   
USSLockwood

This AAR is the first thing I check every morning when I log on.  The suspense is killing me...will Elmo3 make it to Moscow?  And what of Leningrad and the Kiev pocket?

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 276
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 4:56:01 PM   
Kharkov

Yeah, me too. As soon as I get home from work I log in and check this thread :)

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 277
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 6:52:15 PM   
Balou

elmo,

What do the red dotted lines mean? In one map covering AGN theatre it reads "Baltic Rail Zone" (the line running N-S across Lake Peipus) ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 278
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 7:50:42 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kharkov

Yeah, me too. As soon as I get home from work I log in and check this thread :)

Sorry I have to take my daughter to a birthday party this afternoon so my next turn won't get posted until later tonight. I've played it out but have not done the screen shots yet. The AGC shot should prove particularly interesting.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Kharkov)
Post #: 279
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 7:54:58 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

elmo,

What do the red dotted lines mean? In one map covering AGN theatre it reads "Baltic Rail Zone" (the line running N-S across Lake Peipus) ?

Rail repair for the Axis inside that zone will be faster before December '41. Presumably it was easier for the Germans to convert rail lines in that area although I don't know the history of it.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/26/2010 7:55:19 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 280
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 8:21:21 PM   
elmo3

I'll be able to post a couple of shots from turn 11 before going out for a while.  Way up north the Finns are having their way with the Soviets and have cleared most of them north of Leningrad.  Note the German unit in the center of the screen.  Someone asked about the 163rd Inf Div being up there and assigned to the Finnish High Command, and there it is.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 281
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 8:34:56 PM   
elmo3

Most of AGN's progress was made by the 18th Army (purple) this turn.  Note the nasty terrain just east of the line of 4th Pz Grp.  That swamp does not look like a good place for panzers at all.  So we will be shifting the action a bit to the northwest with the hope of giving my armor a better chance to be effective.  It's hard to see in the screen shot but most of the Soviets are behind the Luga River.  At least it's a minor river but it will make the next assaults more difficult.  We'll try to soften them up with some air missions first.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 282
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 8:48:09 PM   
ComradeP

Elmo: is your local recon on the Finnish front very limited or did the Soviets really strip the front clean of units as soon after you didn't move the Finns until several turns after their activation? Judging by your first screenshot they had something like 3 regiments, one of which seem to have been static, and a single Rifle division in what I assume is the Viipuri area and now the map only shows a single Security regiment (NKVD border troops?) between the no attack line and the Finns and nothing further up north.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 283
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 11:18:16 PM   
Balou

One more supply question: will that be possible across frozen lakes - to Leningrad via Lake Ladoga for example ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 284
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 11:22:30 PM   
PyleDriver

Yes...Rivers and lakes freeze in the winter over time...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 285
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 11:27:26 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Elmo: is your local recon on the Finnish front very limited or did the Soviets really strip the front clean of units as soon after you didn't move the Finns until several turns after their activation? Judging by your first screenshot they had something like 3 regiments, one of which seem to have been static, and a single Rifle division in what I assume is the Viipuri area and now the map only shows a single Security regiment (NKVD border troops?) between the no attack line and the Finns and nothing further up north.

I'll have to some air recon next turn to know for sure if no Soviets show up in their part of this turn.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 286
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 11:31:11 PM   
elmo3

Forgot to mention that we got an update last night and the AI is doing a better job of committing reserves on defense.  Just what I need.  

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 287
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 11:43:53 PM   
elmo3

As I hinted above there was a big breakthrough by AGC this week.  Two actually.  We bagged at least 20 Soviet divisions in two solid pockets and 10th Mot Div raced through one of the holes to grab Vyazma.  This all came about when I noticed a weakly held section of the line north of Smolensk.  This is bound to cause some heartburn for STAVKA.  If my infantry can mop up these pockets without help from the panzers they will be free to exploit further east next turn.  I'm sure there couldn't possibly be any more defenders between us and the Kremiln! 

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/26/2010 11:44:24 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 288
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 11:56:32 PM   
elmo3

AGS did well this week as well.  We assaulted across the Dnepr and established a 20 mile wide bridgehead and also moved next to the defenders in Kiev.  Ideally the 1st Pz Grp (red) will work to encircle Kiev while I get more infantry into position for the assault.  Ideally we would reduce the Soviet bulge northeast of Zhitomir to shorten our lines and make more infantry available but there are some tough looking defenders there so it will be easier said than done.  I probably don't have enough troops to encircle them but maybe I can encourage them to withdraw by pressing in on their flanks.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 289
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 12:02:04 AM   
elmo3

We continue to try and turn the left flank of the Soviet defenders opposite the Rumanians and we appear to be having some success.  Depending on what I can see after the Soviet turn it will probably be necessary to do some manual air recon along much of the front next turn to get a very good read on available Soviet forces.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 290
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 12:28:51 AM   
elmo3

Losses through turn 11:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 291
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:10:11 AM   
Balou

elmo,

1.Routed units: what determines how far and in what direction they have to retire ? Is that by random or "predictable" ?

2. Vyazma:
quote:

...raced through one of the holes to grab Vyazma

The first time I am a little disappointed with the AI, since you did not had to dislodge any Soviet unit from there (or yes ?). I presume a human player would have done more to protect Vyazma. For what can be deduced from the map, at least it's a major RR hub.

3. Air recon:
quote:

...probably be necessary to do some manual air recon along much of the front

Do you send a whole squadron or subunits to a particular hex or to a sector or along the whole frontline ?

4: Apparently, crossing a major river (Dnepr south of Kiev) wasn't very costly in terms of AFV. How comes ? Or do we have to do that with infantry/pioneer units first and then wait for something like ponton bridges ? In other words: crossing first with a PzDiv isn't a smart move ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 292
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 12:06:27 PM   
Balou

I should add this about my last post: I presume that - in case Vyazma was indeed undefended - even STAVKA would probably have done more to prepare for the city's defense. Btw, is there such thing as "digging in" ?

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 293
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 12:35:31 PM   
elmo3

quote:

elmo,

1.Routed units: what determines how far and in what direction they have to retire ? Is that by random or "predictable" ?

2. Vyazma:

The first time I am a little disappointed with the AI, since you did not had to dislodge any Soviet unit from there (or yes ?). I presume a human player would have done more to protect Vyazma. For what can be deduced from the map, at least it's a major RR hub.

3. Air recon:

Do you send a whole squadron or subunits to a particular hex or to a sector or along the whole frontline ?

4: Apparently, crossing a major river (Dnepr south of Kiev) wasn't very costly in terms of AFV. How comes ? Or do we have to do that with infantry/pioneer units first and then wait for something like ponton bridges ? In other words: crossing first with a PzDiv isn't a smart move ?

1. When a defender is forced to retreat it first suffers retreat attrition. Then it checks to see if it shatters or routs. If it routs it will perform a displacement move and that causes it to suffer further attrition. It will try to displace to the hex with it's HQ or an adjacent hex, but but not adjacent to an enemy unit. If that is not possible it will displace to a nearby town or city generally toward the east for the Soviets and west for the Axis but not within 2 hexes of an enemy unit.

2. Vyazma was not defended. Keep in mind that there are no victory point hexes in the campaigns right now. I have already commented in the tester forums that we need to watch for this to ensure the AI is defending cities properly.

3. Each recon mission is a couple of aircraft and covers a small area around the recon hex.

4. I purposely attacked across the Dnepr where the Soviets were weakest. I would rather use infantry in assaults across major rivers and into urban areas to preserve tanks but you won't always have that luxury. Also, you don't want to defend in urban areas with armor as they suffer various disadvantages for that terrain.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/27/2010 12:36:34 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 294
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 2:20:28 PM   
HerzKaraya

quote:

quote:

Thanks from the screenshot of the Finnish front. The Finnish Cavalry brigade did not operate at that area as it was part of the Group O that historically attacked northeast...which is off the game map it seems. Pity, the north edge of the map seems to be cut kind of from middle of actual Finnish main assault to Karelia. Well that's a minor thing. Where's the German 163rd Infanterie Div in the Finnish front. (Attached to Finnish command and can't find a grey unit there...?)

I'll try to attach an image covering the start of operations in the Finland area, here you can appreciate the location of Finn (incuding the Ratsuvaki Cav Bde) and the 163rd German Inf Div (lacking one Rgt, btw).

This AAR s really addictive - Elmo, any chance you can post a picture of any JG, KG and StG???

Thanks!

Attachment (1)

Vista, suerte y al toro!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 295
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 2:57:10 PM   
Balou

Screenshots of the northern part of the map show a "Finnish no attack line" - although I couldn't find out how far the line goes east. Does it mean the Finns can't attack beyond that line ? Because I would then ask what is the Finnish Army supposed to be good for or what is it's objective ?

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 296
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 3:15:36 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bubi Hartmann

This AAR s really addictive - Elmo, any chance you can post a picture of any JG, KG and StG???

Thanks!

No sorry, no chance of that...

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 297
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 3:20:58 PM   
elmo3

quote:

Screenshots of the northern part of the map show a "Finnish no attack line" - although I couldn't find out how far the line goes east. Does it mean the Finns can't attack beyond that line ? Because I would then ask what is the Finnish Army supposed to be good for or what is it's objective ?

No attacks across that line until the Germans control Leningrad. Once they control Leningrad they can move and attack up to the Finnish No Move Line, which is further south, but not further south or east of that line.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 298
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 5:28:15 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

I suppose the objective is to defend Finland and recover the lost territores from the Winter War, Mannerheim did not seem to want throw in completely with Hitler, which paid off as the USSR was not as severe with Finalnd as it might have been after the war. They recognised that Finland had held back.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 299
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 6:10:27 PM   
HerzKaraya

Thanks for the screenshots on the Air Units,
they have all the important facts and remind me of the Original War in Russia.

It's a pity that having more powerful PCs now then back then
there seems to be no plan to add some "bang and whistles" to
this area, for example a nice picture of the aircraft equipping the unit,
a Commander for the unit, pilots with names (like WitP)...
I know, I know,....I've asked for this before...

BTW, do you have to transfer Axis air units to other fronts
like happened historically, is it automatic, is there a penalty
if you don't do it if it's manually?

Vista, suerte y al toro!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI