Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 6:15:43 PM   
ComradeP

Finland lacked the manpower and more importantly the economy to be able to support extensive prolonged operations outside of its own territory. The Finns had severe difficulty supplying what they had in the field a few months after the start of Barbarossa, and Mannerheim was perfectly aware that the Finnish economic would not be able to handle prolonged military operations.

It would be a nice feature if the Axis would get victory points for disbanding Finnish formations. The economy would be less strained and goodwill towards the Axis might be preserved. It would also force the Axis player to balance the need for more forces and the need to keep the Finnish economy operational, the same dilemma that Mannerheim faced. As the economy is fairly abstracted in WitE, the Axis player might be able to use Finnish forces in a way that is not only unhistorical but that also simply would not have been possible during the Second World War due to the state of the Finnish economy.

Edit: Elmo, I don't see withdrawal dates on the air unit information screenshots you posted, will these units stay for the entire war or is the withdrawal date not specified in the unit information screen, but rather in sort of a reinforcement screen like in TOAW?

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 2/27/2010 6:18:52 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 301
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 7:56:11 PM   
PyleDriver

Units auto withdraw. You have no choice, there gone. I havn't seen hows it done with air units but land units if not up to TOE spects relocate to the west edge of the map until the are... We also have a hotkey that color outlines units that are set for withdraw, refit, and static.

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 302
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 9:25:58 PM   
Kharkov

Yes I agree. I think that having a graphic of the unit (similar to the original WIR) would really add to the atmosphere of the game. Is this in the plans do you guys know?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 303
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 9:53:08 PM   
USSLockwood

Elmo3, why is KG3's morale so low?

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 304
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 9:59:08 PM   
oldman45

In one of the earlier posts it talked of the penalties for mixing organizations, how much of an issue is this for the Germans? Mixing organizations was one of the army's strengths due to the staff training.

I have to say your AAR has brought a tear or two my eyes, can't wait for this game to come out!!

< Message edited by oldman45 -- 2/27/2010 10:33:48 PM >

(in reply to Kharkov)
Post #: 305
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 10:02:21 PM   
critter

I know they're working on the AI...But as I said in the AI thread. Every city should have a unit garrisoned in it to stop the German from doing excztly what Elmo did. In fact I do in myself in every game I play as the Russians.
It could just be a container unit that the AI could shift sub units in and out.
In RGW you can take major cities with HQ units.

(in reply to Kharkov)
Post #: 306
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 10:13:56 PM   
Zort

Great AAR. But one thing that is always surprising is everyone wants to not have Hitler/Stalin restrictions but don't really complain about the Finns and their stop line. Understand the historical limitations to the Finns but the historical limitations to both the sovs and axis then should apply too imo. I figure the designers won't change it but how about an option for no Finn restriction that will keep the sovs honest and not just leave weak units on the stop line.

(in reply to critter)
Post #: 307
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:02:59 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: doktor

Elmo3, why is KG3's morale so low?

I noticed that too and meant to check on it. Thanks for the reminder

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 308
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:05:09 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

In one of the earlier posts it talked of the penalties for mixing organizations, how much of an issue is this for the Germans? Mixing organizations was one of the army's strengths due to the staff training.

I have to say your AAR has brought a tear or two my eyes, can't wait for this game to come out!!

I make the effort to keep formations together but if an attack needs a unit from a different org to give it much better odds then I'll add it and not worry about any penalty.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 309
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:29:48 PM   
elmo3

The Finns have moved about as far as they can go for now (turn 12) so I'll only show this area again if something interesting happens.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 310
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:33:45 PM   
elmo3

We pushed across the Luga River in two places and hopefully next week awe can exploit those crossings and move the western part of the Soviet line closer to Leningrad. I cropped this picture close to give you a better idea of how the game really looks. It's still not as clear as my monitor but better than the wider shots.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/27/2010 11:34:26 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 311
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:40:35 PM   
elmo3

The goal for AGC was to reduce the two pockets (gray areas) and they did that although we had to use more armor than I had hoped.  The AI did attack and attempt to break out last turn but our lines held.  Not much eastern progress but we should have more success next week now that we have taken care of the rear area cleanup.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 312
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:44:56 PM   
elmo3

The noose is tightening aroudn Kiev and with luck we may create the pocket next week.  We sent in two waves of bombers to pound the city defenders in preparation for the coming assault.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 313
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:48:48 PM   
elmo3

So much for turning the Soviet left flank as I fantasized last turn.  But note the entrained Italians just appearing at the western edge of the screen shot.  I'm sure they will turn the tide for us!

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 314
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/27/2010 11:53:55 PM   
MattFL

Great AAR, really enjoyable.

A quick question:

Why do some units show the factors as "3=3" and others as "3-3"? (I.e. what is the difference between the = and the -). It seems all Germans have a hyphen and most soviets, but not all, have an equals sign.

Thanks!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 315
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 12:11:41 AM   
elmo3

Losses through turn 12. Note that Losses = Killed + Captured + Disabled. That problem was fixed.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/28/2010 12:12:58 AM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 316
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 12:19:34 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattp

Great AAR, really enjoyable.

A quick question:

Why do some units show the factors as "3=3" and others as "3-3"? (I.e. what is the difference between the = and the -). It seems all Germans have a hyphen and most soviets, but not all, have an equals sign.

Thanks!

The Axis units are set to Combat Value - Movement Points and the Soviets are set to Normal Combat Vlaue = Defensive Combat Value (takes terrain and fortificatios into account). Note the = does not mean equals. It is just different from the - so you can easily see what values are being displayed. Enemy values are not exact.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 317
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 2:14:00 AM   
Neal_MLC

A technical question or two if I might. What kind of system are you running? How long does it take to run the Soviet turn?

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 318
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 2:40:37 AM   
elmo3

P4 3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 8800GT w/512MB RAM, Win XP.  It probably takes about 5 minutes, give or take a minute or two, in the '41 campaign depending on whether the AI is trying to break out of any pockets.  Less in a smaller scenario.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 319
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 3:15:45 AM   
Neal_MLC

Great, Thanks, faster than I expected. I am running pretty much the same thing.

I am sure the urn would run faster if there were't so many Italano units running around

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 320
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 10:07:19 AM   
Balou

elmo,
quote:

... We sent in two waves of bombers to pound the city defenders

Are there combat reports to show how much damage you did to a particular objective (eg Kiev) ? I figure out that sometimes more than one or two aerial attacks are required to soften a target.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 321
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 11:02:23 AM   
ComradeP

Seems pretty gamey that the AI is holding back the Finnish Army with stacks with a defensive strength of 1. There doesn't seem to be a single division in that line.

I know it's hard to code and open to exploitation, but perhaps an offensive/defensive value trigger could be added to the hexes next to the no attack line, similar to the AV trigger in Manchukuo in WitP:AE so the Soviets have to defend it with more credible units than a few guys in a bunker.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 322
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 11:28:11 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

elmo,

Are there combat reports to show how much damage you did to a particular objective (eg Kiev) ? I figure out that sometimes more than one or two aerial attacks are required to soften a target.

Yes you can see bombing results like any other combat result.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 323
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 11:29:31 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Seems pretty gamey that the AI is holding back the Finnish Army with stacks with a defensive strength of 1. There doesn't seem to be a single division in that line.

I know it's hard to code and open to exploitation, but perhaps an offensive/defensive value trigger could be added to the hexes next to the no attack line, similar to the AV trigger in Manchukuo in WitP:AE so the Soviets have to defend it with more credible units than a few guys in a bunker.

Something along those lines has been discussed. Not sure if any decision has been made yet.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 324
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 6:58:35 PM   
Shadrach

Man this AAR's got me really psyched for this game... I can sit at work and stare at those screenshots forever, my coworkers think I'm being very concentrated

Keep it up please

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 325
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 7:11:02 PM   
PyleDriver

If you think this AAR is something that is consuming, wait until you have the tools in your hand. If your a WWII buff, your time is lost, you can't wait to play hooky from something you should be doing...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 326
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 7:19:56 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: stian

Man this AAR's got me really psyched for this game... I can sit at work and stare at those screenshots forever, my coworkers think I'm being very concentrated

Keep it up please

I'll keep it coming but there may not be a turn today. It's my day to do the taxes and I'm still not finished. I have also been tracking down a couple of potential bugs in the game in my free time.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/28/2010 7:22:24 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 327
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 7:48:46 PM   
Neal_MLC

So I should get the divorce paperwork going now to save my wife the time?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 328
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 7:54:53 PM   
cantona2

elmo, how far do you intend to go with this AAR? Will you go as far as Taifun and the Soviet counter?

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 329
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/28/2010 8:47:23 PM   
wiking62

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neal_MLC

So I should get the divorce paperwork going now to save my wife the time?

This game is going to cause a lot of strife with our wives.

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI