Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/2/2010 6:08:21 PM   
freeboy

two ?
Supply is obviously a huge part of the game..
can you discuss both air issues.. interdiction of supplies and air ressuply?

Does the game support a map mode that indicates levels of supply , obviously with FOW it shold be for hex one controls?

ok third ?

If the enemy has a small or narrow corridor open to get supplies.. can we interdict these specific hexes?

Thanks and keep up the great work.. cannot wait for a red army aar!

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 391
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/2/2010 6:30:45 PM   
elmo3

There is no air interdiction of supplies.  You do have a limited ability to resupply units by air.  There is no on-map supply mode.  However there is a hotkey to see isolated units, units more than 50 MP from a railhead, and units getting beachhead supply.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 392
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/2/2010 7:39:38 PM   
bosbes

Keep coming with those AAR's; it definitely wets my appetite!

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 393
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/2/2010 9:01:54 PM   
B455

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

Great AAR. But one thing that is always surprising is everyone wants to not have Hitler/Stalin restrictions but don't really complain about the Finns and their stop line. Understand the historical limitations to the Finns but the historical limitations to both the sovs and axis then should apply too imo. I figure the designers won't change it but how about an option for no Finn restriction that will keep the sovs honest and not just leave weak units on the stop line.

Yes something needs to be done to this. It's totally gamey if Soviets just retreat in Karelia and man the "stop-line" with very weak units. It won't create historical circumstances of the battle of Leningrad at all. Actually, why even include the Finnish front if it has no meaning in the game?

(in reply to Zort)
Post #: 394
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 9:26:31 AM   
Muzrub

quote:

ORIGINAL: B455

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zort

Great AAR. But one thing that is always surprising is everyone wants to not have Hitler/Stalin restrictions but don't really complain about the Finns and their stop line. Understand the historical limitations to the Finns but the historical limitations to both the sovs and axis then should apply too imo. I figure the designers won't change it but how about an option for no Finn restriction that will keep the sovs honest and not just leave weak units on the stop line.

Yes something needs to be done to this. It's totally gamey if Soviets just retreat in Karelia and man the "stop-line" with very weak units. It won't create historical circumstances of the battle of Leningrad at all. Actually, why even include the Finnish front if it has no meaning in the game?

That is a very good point- its neither here, nor there, so why bother?

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to B455)
Post #: 395
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 10:39:56 AM   
ComradeP

quote:

its neither here, nor there, so why bother?

Because people will complain even more if the entirety of the Finnish front is missing, rather than "only" the northern/Murmansk part.

The Finnish front does have a meaning in the game, as the Finns can move further if Leningrad is captured and the front isn't an automatic stalemate. The only major problem is that the Soviets have no reason to garrison their border currently, as a handful of 1 point battalions on the Soviet side of the border/no-attack line can stop the entire Finnish army.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 396
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 11:38:48 AM   
Muzrub

quote:

Because people will complain even more if the entirety of the Finnish front is missing, rather than "only" the northern/Murmansk part.

Indeed people will complain, and will always complain of how the Finnish front is handled in the game. But this was also an issue in WIR- "why can't Murmansk be included" (was the catch cry).

Anyway to get back on point (WIR being a different game), why not include Murmansk- if the Finnish front is worth doing, its worth doing properly.

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 397
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 12:32:06 PM   
elmo3

Guys.  I already asked once for people not to use my AAR thread to debate what is or is not included with regard to Finland.  There are other threads for that.  Thanks.

You were right Pavel.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 398
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 1:59:40 PM   
SGHunt

OK Elmo - GROFAZ expects great things after his 'dream' of capturing Stalin cowering in the cellars of the Kremlin.

Any change in your operational plans for AGC, or is the intention to repeat as far as possible the same straight thrust to see what the AI does this time?  

It will be interesting to see what happens around Kiev, as it seemed that the Soviet withdrawal made sense here - maybe a partial withdrawal with a strong garrison fighting to the death, as at Brest Litovsk, would be the best tactic?   Bleed the Germans in a fortified position without losing too many divisions to encirclement.   (Any supply benefits for being cut off in a major city?)

Fascinating to see the workings of an Alpha test here.

Stuart

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 399
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 3:17:46 PM   
elmo3

AGC will continue to push toward Moscow.  Kiev is better defended this time as you will see in a while.  Being in a city (and I use that term loosely here) has benefits to the Germans when the weather is bad but I don't think there are specific supply benefits to either side.  Will have to check the manual to say for sure though.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 400
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 3:58:56 PM   
elmo3

AGN is swinging forces to the open ground southwest of Leningrad.  However there are a lot of Soviets between us and the goal so this is going to be a tough slog.  We'll get as close as we can before winter but I don't see us getting into the city before the blizzards hit.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 401
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 4:07:08 PM   
elmo3

Turn 12 for AGC followed a similar patter to the previous version.  We liquidated the pocket even though the Soviets were in supply.  It cost us more casualties but nothing could be done about that.  We also move as many mobile units as possible into the area near Vyazma for the anticipated breakout toward Moscow next turn.  1st SS Mot Div and 60th Mot Div arrived by train from the west and were inserted into the line northwest of Vyazma.  Three more infantry divisions also arrived in the area this turn and will be fed into the flanks next turn if we achieve our breakthrough.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 402
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 4:13:10 PM   
elmo3

AGS was not able to complete the encirclement of Kiev due to the major rivers (the Desna, Dnepr, and Pripyat) and swamps to the north.  However we are in position to close the pocket next turn and start reducing the defenders.  I am hoping the AI will stand and defend at this point.  I see no value in them giving up Kiev without a fight now.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 403
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 4:16:27 PM   
elmo3

Some progress along the Rumanian front, about all we can expect given the low priority of this area right now.  Perhaps we can kick in the door down here once Kiev falls.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 404
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 4:17:13 PM   
elmo3

I'll run the AI part of the turn and post the losses in a little while.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 405
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 4:54:24 PM   
elmo3

Losses through turn 12:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 406
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 5:02:20 PM   
elmo3

One quick shot from the start of turn 13.  The Soviets did indeed decide to stay and defend Kiev.  The tester in me is glad to see that, the German in me, not so much.  

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 407
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 7:49:02 PM   
rickier65

Elmo,

thanks for posting this AAR. I've been trying to avoid this entire thread, knowing it would make me start anticipating the game. But this morning I couldn't resist anymore.

And I was right, it is making me anticipate the release!

Thanks again, and good job on the ARR - I hope the map in the final version looks as nice as some of these screens.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 408
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 8:11:22 PM   
elmo3

Glad you are enjoying it.  And yes the map is really a work of art.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 409
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 8:30:52 PM   
wiking62

Hi elmo,

In your latest AGN screenshot there is a German infantry unit that is half black and half grey. My understanding was that SS units were all black. What is this unit?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 410
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 8:58:48 PM   
elmo3

The Elite SS are all black.  Units that are half black/half gray are Non-Eilte SS.  In this case it's the Polizei SS Inf Div.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 411
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/3/2010 11:29:07 PM   
zbig

Will the game allow you to restart from a previous turn?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 412
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 1:50:14 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: zbig

Will the game allow you to restart from a previous turn?

If you save from the previous turn and you are playing the AI then sure. PBEM is not implemented yet but I believe there will be mechanisms in place to prevent replaying an outcome you don't like.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to zbig)
Post #: 413
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 7:04:56 PM   
elmo3

On turn 13 (9/11/41) the 4th Pz Grp (red) of AGN completed it's relocation to the northwest and is now driving east toward Leningrad with some success.  We're stripping the flanks to the south and trying to get more of 18th Army (purple) into the fight too.  From here on there is little room for maneuver so it will be pretty much a straight ahead push to the goal.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/4/2010 7:09:23 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 414
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 7:13:44 PM   
elmo3

If you go back a couple of pages in the AAR you will recall that turn 13 saw the Germans occupying W Moscow and being poised to take the rest of the city on the next turn.  As you can see the upgraded AI is having none of that this time around.  We made good progress toward Moscow but came nowhere near to the breakthrough from the previous play.  Still we are getting closer and some strong forces are poised to try again next turn.  You can expect more improvements in the AI as we get closer to launch too.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/4/2010 7:14:28 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 415
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 7:19:28 PM   
elmo3

AGS has isolated Kiev and we bombed the defenders this turn.  Not sure if we'll start the siege next turn or let them starve a bit longer.  Time is critical from now until the blizzards come so we may have to take more losses to clear the defenders sooner.  Units of 1st Pz Grp (red) are pushing to the east and will try to break out to the southeast next turn.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 416
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 7:22:27 PM   
elmo3

Minor progress along the Rumanian frontier.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 417
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 7:46:47 PM   
elmo3

Losses through turn 13:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 418
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 8:35:41 PM   
wiking62

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

The Elite SS are all black.  Units that are half black/half gray are Non-Eilte SS.  In this case it's the Polizei SS Inf Div.

Hmmmm, i don't really see the need for this as most wargame conventions are grey/green for Wehrmacht, black for SS and light blue for Luftwaffe. I would suggest that 99% of wargamers know which are elite SS units and those that are not.

Taking this further, if elite SS units are distinguished from non elite, should not elite Wehrmacht divisions - Gross Deutschland etc, also be colour coded?

< Message edited by hart2412 -- 3/4/2010 8:36:34 PM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 419
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/4/2010 9:21:59 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: hart2412

Taking this further, if elite SS units are distinguished from non elite, should not elite Wehrmacht divisions - Gross Deutschland etc, also be colour coded?

That sort of thing was discussed. Not sure if it will happen though.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI