Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Home World Type

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Home World Type Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Home World Type - 4/7/2010 6:11:44 PM   
Barthheart

Starting a game as Humans, why do they always, at least for me, start on a Marshy Swamp home world when the race file gives their default home world in Continental? I always set the selector to "Normal" starting world in the game....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Post #: 1
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 6:23:36 PM   
idgar

Quoting myself from another thread...

quote:

ORIGINAL: idgar

The type of planet you start on depends on the "Home System" setting, which affect the whole system as well. I guess the Quick Start choices (apart from "random") have a fixed setting for this.

Harsh: Desert
Trying, Normal: Marshy Swamp
Agreeable, Excellent: Continental

From this thread:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2429854

Edit:
I tried 3-5 restarts on each setting with random race. Always the same type of home world.

< Message edited by idgar -- 4/7/2010 6:24:34 PM >

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 2
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 6:27:18 PM   
Barthheart

Sounds like a well though out reason but what the heck is the Race file setting for then?

And why isn't "Normal" ummm... normal?? Why have 5 settings with only 3 planet types to choose from?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to idgar)
Post #: 3
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 6:37:27 PM   
idgar

The Race file setting appears to decide type of planet the race can colonize without needing tech. So the races with "Continental" setting has to rely on tech alone or integrating other races who can colonize other planet types.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 4
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 6:47:22 PM   
belouski

The backstory explains why you might find yourself starting off on a world not perfectly suited for your race.

The 5 settings also influence resources and other habitable planets (sometimes with independent colonies) that you will find in your starting system. I guess it might influence what resources you might find close to your system as well.

(in reply to idgar)
Post #: 5
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 6:48:08 PM   
Korvus77

I'd just like to start off in the Sol system. Right now I hold the holy system against all would be usurpers clear on the other side of the galaxy. 

(in reply to idgar)
Post #: 6
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 6:51:39 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: belouski

The backstory explains why you might find yourself starting off on a world not perfectly suited for your race.

This I'll buy as I haven't actually gotten to far into the game yet to find the entire backstory.

Thanks!

(in reply to belouski)
Post #: 7
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 8:40:30 PM   
JonathanStrange

Marshy swamp people, that's us and it's cool. We can't stand those marshy swamp moon people though.

Actually, other than being disconcerting, the homeworld start is fine for practical purposes. Well, maybe not fine but livable.

The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of Matrix Games, the forum members of Matrix Games, the forum moderators, or JonathanStrange.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 8
RE: Home World Type - 4/7/2010 8:45:41 PM   
HsojVvad

I noticed this too. I don't understand as well. So if that means we start on a Marsh world, we can colonize continental and marsh worlds then?

(in reply to JonathanStrange)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Home World Type Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI