Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/17/2010 9:17:46 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir
AFAIK there is no way to improve quality, I think there should be, low quality planets should be an investment, one that takes a lot of money of a lot of time to bring up the quality and make profitable. Instead they are a permanent drain on your economy.

A good case for adding Terraforming in the Tech tree?

if by terraforming you mean increase planet quality, then yes.
Usually the implementation is "ocean planet is now a continental plance" which is not exactly DW style.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 61
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/17/2010 9:21:01 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

quote:

AFAIK there is no way to improve quality, I think there should be, low quality planets should be an investment, one that takes a lot of money of a lot of time to bring up the quality and make profitable. Instead they are a permanent drain on your economy.

A good case for adding Terraforming in the Tech tree?

if by terraforming you mean increase planet quality, then yes.
Usually the implementation is "ocean planet is now a continental plance" which is not exactly DW style.

DW style would seem to be more like:

Planet X's atmosphere has been improved by new pollution processors, as a result, the living conditions have improved to the point that the planet can support an esitmated additional 50 million colonists...

etc.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 62
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/17/2010 10:30:34 PM   
Bartje

No magical planet-sized morphing

It might, might, perhaps be introduced some time in the end game techs but that's stretching it I think. And then only if we beg for it

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 63
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 12:17:10 AM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bartje

No magical planet-sized morphing

It might, might, perhaps be introduced some time in the end game techs but that's stretching it I think. And then only if we beg for it

If we or the AI can damage (decrease) a planet's quality (Bombardment), then why shouldn't we be able to repair or improve it ?

Just makes sense to me . . .

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 64
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 1:54:29 AM   
taltamir

it doesn't necessarily have to be the planet... advances in construction, food production, etc makes it cheaper to maintain colonies on hostile worlds. thus increasing max pop and profitability of said colonies. (aka, their "quality")

its not like an ice planet with higher quality has more robust ecosystems after all.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 6/18/2010 1:55:15 AM >

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 65
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 6:13:38 AM   
ussdefiant

A gameplay/economy question here: Is it meant to be that colonies seem to have a severe problem getting their resources moved out?

I started a game with the Mortalens, and had a starting mining station sitting on a Continental planet with Polymer on it, but after colonizing it, the resources that the planet produces seem to just sit there and languish.

The civvie freighters seem quite happy to come by and immediately grab the Caslon/Hydrogen that appear with the colony and drag them back to the Spaceport, but otherwise it seems that the goods present on the colony are completely invisible to the civvie freighters, no matter what the demand is elsewhere.

at my main starting colony i've now completely exhausted the starting supply of Polymer, the small-recently colonized planet has 2500+ Polymer avaliable and rising, and yet none of the dozen freighters that've been sitting around the spaceport for the past in-game year or so have bother to take note of that supply's existence. The same seems to apply to any colony that i have without a spaceport, their products seem to never get picked up, and the Stock display for them on the expansion viewer always displays a big fat zero, no matter how many sources i might have colonized for that resource.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 66
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 2:15:18 PM   
Shark7

Civvies are probably picking up the most in demand (thus most profitable) resources first. If you go into your expansion planner and look at the resources by your empire's need, you'll probably find that caslon and hydrogen are farther up the list than polymer is.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ussdefiant)
Post #: 67
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 2:31:01 PM   
taltamir

1. Do you have enough starports to maintain enough freighters? (about 10 per colony)
2. What are the resources not being moved? It might be a strategic resource that is not used in any of the components you currently have the tech for.
3. What is the price of those resources? if it is 1 credit then it means there is an excess of that resource

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 68
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 2:36:48 PM   
Stardog

Whats up Bro's.!?

I too have prob's with my fleets (Keeping them together).

A.K.A Fleet Cohesion

Is it possible to make a Fleet Formations Command?
If you could & keep it simple like 4 Types/Formations :

1) V &/or Wedge (2)Box &/or Square (3)Line Rt &/or Echelon Rt
4)Line Lt &/or Echelon Lt

Just a thought..?

Thanks Guys/Erik/Matrix

WM

< Message edited by Stardog -- 6/18/2010 2:37:49 PM >

Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.

Frederick the Great

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 69
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 2:45:04 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMSImperator

A gameplay/economy question here: Is it meant to be that colonies seem to have a severe problem getting their resources moved out?

I started a game with the Mortalens, and had a starting mining station sitting on a Continental planet with Polymer on it, but after colonizing it, the resources that the planet produces seem to just sit there and languish.

The civvie freighters seem quite happy to come by and immediately grab the Caslon/Hydrogen that appear with the colony and drag them back to the Spaceport, but otherwise it seems that the goods present on the colony are completely invisible to the civvie freighters, no matter what the demand is elsewhere.

at my main starting colony i've now completely exhausted the starting supply of Polymer, the small-recently colonized planet has 2500+ Polymer avaliable and rising, and yet none of the dozen freighters that've been sitting around the spaceport for the past in-game year or so have bother to take note of that supply's existence. The same seems to apply to any colony that i have without a spaceport, their products seem to never get picked up, and the Stock display for them on the expansion viewer always displays a big fat zero, no matter how many sources i might have colonized for that resource.

I'm not sure if this is intended by design or not, but it's been this way in all the versions I've played.

Once you get more than a handful of colonies, freighters rarely if ever pick up resources at the planet level.

Even in the my current game, I've got 7 colonized planets with the Eskarus meat resource, but there's none in stock.

BTW - I suggest everyone keep an eye on their resources with this version, is seems consumption has been bumped up quite a bit.

I had over 60k gold stockpiled and noticed the price was up to 2.5. Looking further the Galaxy stockpile was probably around 160k, but the the Galaxy demand was over 60k.

I've never seen demand that high before and I noticed there were quite a few other items with higher than expected demand (not as high as gold though).

(in reply to ussdefiant)
Post #: 70
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 7:47:49 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stardog

Whats up Bro's.!?

I too have prob's with my fleets (Keeping them together).

A.K.A Fleet Cohesion

Is it possible to make a Fleet Formations Command?
If you could & keep it simple like 4 Types/Formations :

1) V &/or Wedge (2)Box &/or Square (3)Line Rt &/or Echelon Rt
4)Line Lt &/or Echelon Lt

Just a thought..?

Thanks Guys/Erik/Matrix

WM

Frankly, I am sick and tired of the fleet cohesion boohoo... frankly I find current fleets to be CRIPPLED by cohesion... before fleets would actually get something done, you just know to assign a fleet larger then you need to a task because some ships would not make it.

Now with all the stupid fleet cohesion algorithms fleets spend most their time maintaining cohesion and not actually fighting things or performing useful tasks! I just let the fleets go do what they want while I personally manage 6 ships individually (Ctrl+1 through 6... with 7 through 0 reserved to targets). And I just blaze through things. If I order a fleet to do something it takes far too long to get anywhere or do anything... especially early on where you need several fuel stops on the way... all of which have to be done while maintaining cohesion... ugh!

would be nice if we could set cohesion goals... such as "travel at speed of slowest ship" vs "travel as fast as you can" and "assemble X% of fleet before attacking" where we could choose X to 100%, 90%, 75%, and 50%...
So when I actually NEED them to be at 100% strength I could have it by setting it to travel at slowest speed and to assemble 100% before attacking... while if doing minor operations set it to travel as fast as you can and assemble 50% or even 25% for really minor targets...

Right now having one ship with an obsolete drive / fuel storage, or one damaged ship, or one ship that was recently added to the fleet and is on the other side of the galaxy or whatever... totally cripple a fleets ability to strike at weak targets.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 6/18/2010 7:54:19 PM >

(in reply to Stardog)
Post #: 71
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 8:20:59 PM   
Erik Rutins

Taltamir,

I am not having any serious fleet cohesion issues at all. If you can describe what exactly is happening for you in 1.0.5.6 and what settings you are using, maybe it would help us figure out why you are experiencing that.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 72
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 9:57:28 PM   
Gertjan

Thanks a lot again! Super!

Could you please elaborate on this. How do you enable this in 32 windows?

quote:

Large Address Aware flag set on executable - on 64-bit Windows more memory is now available for use, eliminating any lingering out-of-memory errors. 32-bit Windows users can also configure their PC to make use of this setting

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 73
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/18/2010 11:50:32 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Taltamir,

I am not having any serious fleet cohesion issues at all. If you can describe what exactly is happening for you in 1.0.5.6 and what settings you are using, maybe it would help us figure out why you are experiencing that.

Regards,

- Erik

Simply put, I tell a fleet to attack an undefended or under-defended target which would be easily defeated or conquered by a fraction of the fleet... they spend a whole lot of time assembling, refueling, etc... where the majority of the fleet is sitting, together, idle, waiting for a few stragglers. Instead of just leaving the stragglers behind and taking said planet or whatever my target is. I will see if I can get more concrete examples, maybe submit some saves or a video or something.

It slows things down too much so I just take ships out of the fleet and order them to attack directly, and they get things done. I was never bothered by the whole "only half my fleet attacks when I tell it!" thing... i found it to be completely sensible... ships would cycle in and out of the action, and you just knew to send a fleet twice as big as what you need to take the target.

In the early game fleets are small (which helps), but fuel is scarce and engines are slow.
In the late game fleets are large (which hurts), but it is balanced with massive fuel tanks and very efficient reactors and very fast engines.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 74
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/19/2010 12:34:04 AM   
tornnight

Perhaps a "Attack Immediately" Selection and a normal "Attack" selection which does normal fleet cohesion.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 75
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/19/2010 12:45:18 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: tornnight

Perhaps a "Attack Immediately" Selection and a normal "Attack" selection which does normal fleet cohesion.

thats a surprisingly useful and yet simple idea... I like it.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 76
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/19/2010 3:48:47 AM   
tornnight

I'm getting messed up fonts in the research -> Component Guide popup.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 77
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/19/2010 6:59:18 AM   
Canute0

quote:

Simply put, I tell a fleet to attack an undefended or under-defended target which would be easily defeated or conquered by a fraction of the fleet... they spend a whole lot of time assembling, refueling, etc... where the majority of the fleet is sitting, together, idle, waiting for a few stragglers. Instead of just leaving the stragglers behind and taking said planet or whatever my target is. I will see if I can get more concrete examples, maybe submit some saves or a video or something.

Sorry, these are expampes for fleet cohersion not against.

quote:

they spend a whole lot of time assembling, refueling, etc

Its like at your empire, or any human group. When the last one is ready to enter the travel-bus the first one allready need to pee or smoking. Same to fleets. Maybe let them refuel on an idle sysem or give the resupply ship more docking slots.

quote:

Instead of just leaving the stragglers behind and taking said planet or whatever my target is.

do you want that the fleet automatical kickout slow members ?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 78
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/19/2010 7:02:14 AM   
Canute0

quote:

More Realistic Colonization and Migration:

1. Cannot build colony ships at a colony until population reaches a threshold of 100 million

That isn't working. I saw now a Colony ship building on a pretty new planet. And i got many planets now with populations below 10M.
I allways use expansion planer to let the Colony ships build.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 79
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/19/2010 3:23:31 PM   
taltamir

quote:

do you want that the fleet automatical kickout slow members?

Actually, yes.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 80
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/20/2010 1:49:19 AM   
Aloid

Once again, thank you guys for such excellent support.

#1 with a torpedo

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 81
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/20/2010 6:28:38 PM   
ParachuteProne

quote:

Good idea !

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 82
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/21/2010 10:48:54 AM   
hidden_asbestos

quote:

ORIGINAL: hidden_asbestos

What are the chance of this game ever running in a window? For such a passive game it'd be nice to have it running at the side of my monitor while I can be working on something else!  But I realise this represents a potentially large change to the graphics engine so I'm just wondering shall I give up hope or keep holding on for this to appear one day?

So my question got derailed but I'm still keen to know the answer to it.

Can you reveal any plans for any user interface improvements and fixes, going forward?

By fixes, for me it's just the little stuff that needs work on like that when panning to the extreme right of the map the galaxy keeps scrolling further than the grid overlay, drop shadows on text that change colours, smooth scrolling with the cursor keys instead of relying on button repeat. FWIW the roughness of the UI is the #1 reason I've seen people give to recommend against this game, and it's the reason I barely play it.

(in reply to hidden_asbestos)
Post #: 83
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/21/2010 12:11:23 PM   
Vanguard_DW

edit:Moved to tech support

< Message edited by Vanguard_DW -- 6/21/2010 5:20:05 PM >

Post #: 84
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/21/2010 2:58:43 PM   
hewwo

quote:

ORIGINAL: hidden_asbestos

for me it's just the little stuff that needs work on like that when panning to the extreme right of the map the galaxy keeps scrolling further than the grid overlay, drop shadows on text that change colours, smooth scrolling with the cursor keys instead of relying on button repeat. FWIW the roughness of the UI is the #1 reason I've seen people give to recommend against this game, and it's the reason I barely play it.

I completely agree with this! Honestly, for me, at this moment, improving the UI is much more important than tweaks in gamebalance!

Post #: 85
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/22/2010 12:51:44 AM   
tornnight

quote:

ORIGINAL: ParachuteProne

quote:

Good idea !

I'm really hoping something like this gets implemented. The "Assembling for Attack ..." message makes me insane when my mines are getting blown to bits.

(in reply to ParachuteProne)
Post #: 86
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/22/2010 2:09:02 AM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good idea !

I'm really hoping something like this gets implemented. The "Assembling for Attack ..." message makes me insane when my mines are getting blown to bits.

By a single, weak, ship.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 87
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/23/2010 11:36:41 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute
quote:

More Realistic Colonization and Migration:

1. Cannot build colony ships at a colony until population reaches a threshold of 100 million

That isn't working. I saw now a Colony ship building on a pretty new planet. And i got many planets now with populations below 10M.
I allways use expansion planer to let the Colony ships build.

I'm unable to reproduce this problem Canute. Are you able to upload a savegame showing this?

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 88
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/23/2010 11:37:48 AM   
elliotg

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good idea !

FYI, we'll be adding something like this in the next version of this beta.

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 89
RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 6/23/2010 11:58:08 AM   
hewwo

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

FYI, we'll be adding something like this in the next version of this beta.

Thanks
Elliot

Great news! Three thumbs up for clear communication. Could you maybe comment on your plans to improve the little UI things that we would like to see polished? For me this is really the most important thing :)|

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New 1.0.5.6 Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI