Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random Map Generator Please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Random Map Generator Please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random Map Generator Please - 8/13/2010 10:41:28 PM   
DasTactic

Bought the game yesterday and I am enjoying the game-play. But a random map generator for this would be awesome.

I tend to play random maps over scripted maps - even though they aren't balanced - because it means you need to strategise your own objectives rather than have them scripted for you.

Post #: 1
RE: Random Map Generator Please - 8/16/2010 2:57:27 AM   
jomni

But the AI is scripted to the particular map / scenario.

Maybe a good idea for multiplayer.

(in reply to DasTactic)
Post #: 2
RE: Random Map Generator Please - 8/16/2010 5:53:51 PM   
gijas17

I think its possible. Excluding the main campaign one would think that we could use the campaign maps included or new ones created by Slitherine/users then edit them by placing units and capture points on the maps. If you take the maps down to just the terrian and static objects that is with out the campaign scripting involved.

< Message edited by gijas -- 8/16/2010 5:57:14 PM >

"Our strategy is to destroy the enemy from within, to conquer him through himself."

- Adolf Hitler

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 3
RE: Random Map Generator Please - 8/20/2010 3:29:40 AM   
mkjhartmann

I second the request for a random map generator.  This game is close enough to become the spiritual successor of Steel Panthers (with less detail but much improved interface and graphics) that the time required to add the random maps, combined with the community ability to create more units could spur substantial sales.  I see the post count is fairly low for what I considered to be the very finest tactical war game in many years.

These games can take on a life, and a financial success I suspect, that is unexpected, and adding the ability to have random battles against a semi competent AI would do wonders.  And a nice laddering system for MP I am sure would also help.

I really, really, really want this game to be a huge success, because it is such a great design.  Fun, apparently reasonably accurate (no I did not serve in the military, and don't care if the deflection angle armor flaking effect is simulated to the highest integrity), and certainly teaches the use of combined arms.

Kudos for a job very well done.  I hope Matrix can really pour some marketing assets into this one.

Mike

(in reply to gijas17)
Post #: 4
RE: Random Map Generator Please - 8/21/2010 3:54:52 AM   
sabre1

I 3rd it.

(in reply to mkjhartmann)
Post #: 5
RE: Random Map Generator Please - 8/21/2010 3:34:49 PM   
rich12545

I think a random map generator along the lines of Combat Mission (cmx1) and a generic script would be great.  

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 6
Skirmish - 9/19/2010 3:07:30 PM   
davelogan69

"...adding the ability to have random battles against a semi competent AI would do wonders" - mkjhartmann
EXACTLY! If this game had a skirmish mode against the AI it would be near perfect. Pick a map, pick a nation, then pick specific units or use a random army, and go. I'd love to see it and it would make the game for me.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 7
RE: Skirmish - 9/21/2010 11:29:10 AM   
diablo1

I will not buy a game anymore without some kind of randomness. I prefer random map generators as well as random battles and campaign ones.

(in reply to davelogan69)
Post #: 8
RE: Skirmish - 9/21/2010 2:48:32 PM   
NefariousKoel

I would expect to see this as an expansion, if it's ever done.

That's how it went with FoG.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 9
RE: Skirmish - 9/23/2010 1:29:54 PM   
diablo1

Wish Panzer Command Osfront would hurry up and be released. At least it has random.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 10
RE: Skirmish - 10/22/2010 1:23:57 AM   
PipFromSlitherine

1.4 includes two new skirmish maps. These maps have randomised enemy forces opposing you. The new editor plugins exposes this functionality in a simple UI - so creating more for yourself or to share takes literally minutes now.

Thought it might be of interest to this thread.

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 11
RE: Skirmish - 11/16/2010 10:29:39 AM   
diablo1

Randomized in what ways Pip? Can I select some sort of battle points per side and these maps create a random force by the amount of points I give it?

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 12
RE: Skirmish - 11/16/2010 11:29:11 AM   
junk2drive

You have to create a viable scenario first then you can give the AI a number of points to purchase random units.

Or take an existing scenario and replace the enemy with random units.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 13
RE: Skirmish - 11/26/2010 2:15:48 AM   
PipFromSlitherine

You have pretty fine control over how it works. You can set up each AI team (up to 8 of them) with as many units as you like and then allocate a points value for the game to randomly purchase them from. This allows you to be sure that starting positions are sensible, and that you only have the possible units that you want to see on the field - but no idea as to which ones you will see any any given battle.

All this is done visually, so I'd recommend giving it a go :)

Cheers

Pip

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 14
RE: Random Maps - 5/26/2011 8:26:53 PM   
junk2drive

Over at Slitherine forums in the Modder section, two people are working on scripts for Random Maps. Screenshots too.

Both are including the new Carryover feature for Campaigns.

< Message edited by junk2drive -- 5/26/2011 8:34:35 PM >

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 15
RE: Random Maps - 5/27/2011 4:12:37 AM   
sabre1

^

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 16
RE: Random Maps - 6/5/2011 4:26:40 PM   
junk2drive

If you would like to try out one of the two random campaign projects, check this out

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=229472#229472

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 17
RE: Random Maps - 6/6/2011 1:49:52 PM   
junk2drive

bump

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 18
RE: Random Maps - 8/1/2011 3:29:22 AM   
junk2drive

You can download Amaris project now

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26053

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Battle Academy Series >> Battle Academy >> Random Map Generator Please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI