Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A use for mobile units that's not been discussed much...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> A use for mobile units that's not been discussed much... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A use for mobile units that's not been discussed much... - 1/24/2011 3:29:06 PM   
Altaris

One thing I've found discussed very little, and to me is a key use for armor/motorised units, is the conversion of enemy hexes for the infantry to move into the following turn. As I was playing some early test runs, I noticed that my infantry would get hopelessly bogged down as turns went on and fatigue went up. After doing some research, I realized that I had been thinking all wrong about my approaches.

In my current PBEM, I've taken the approach of making sure my mobile units always convert the hexes where I want my infantry to be the next turn. This in turn means those infantry go at least twice as far (over normal terrain) since they aren't paying costs to move through EZOC hexes. I'm finding that doing this is almost as effective as having your INF put on motorized each turn in my old method of letting the infantry convert those hexes.

It's definitely something to consider in planning, as you'll need those infantry up to the front lines ASAP. Tanks are great in a lot of circumstances, but once you run into rough/heavy wooded/swampy/major river terrain, they are useless. Any major offensive needs those INF moving forward at a fast pace, and this is the best method I've found for doing so.

Anyone else have thoughts around this?
Post #: 1
RE: A use for mobile units that's not been discussed mu... - 1/24/2011 3:32:36 PM   
2ndACR

Well, if they are advancing into the newly captured hexes the same turn your armor swept thru, they will pay the higher cost. If you wait the next turn, then they pay the lower cost of advancing thu friendly country. But that means they are always 1-2 turns behind you. So be careful.

(in reply to Altaris)
Post #: 2
RE: A use for mobile units that's not been discussed mu... - 1/24/2011 3:46:48 PM   
Altaris

That's true, but I always use at least 2 panzer corps in conjunction with one another. I like to advance out with one panzer corp pushing out to the max of where I want to expand, and the other providing flank protection.

Then again, I rarely push my tanks out excessively far anyway. I'd prefer to convert more hexes along the way than push out the max distance most of the time. This offers the dual benefit of giving the infantry more room to move up and better protection on the flanks.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: A use for mobile units that's not been discussed mu... - 1/24/2011 3:55:44 PM   
jay102

I think OP's idea is useful. Always consider to use the armor converting enemy hex before advancing the infantry. This can make your infantry twice as quick as they march mostly in friendly territory especially if their morale is low.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> A use for mobile units that's not been discussed much... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI