Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Whats your favourite cheap multi use unit type

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Whats your favourite cheap multi use unit type Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Whats your favourite cheap multi use unit type - 9/9/2002 11:53:43 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

We all know that there is a large vocal mob for best tank and best arty type.

So right here I am eliminating all armour category and artillery category choices (ie they are found on either the armour or artillery tab selections), from our discussion unless you can reeeeeally make a case for inclusion...

Soooo my favourite choice for a neat unit that always seems to be both economical, functional and useful (hey it has to earn its keep on the list too eh), would have to be either a recon team or an mg section.

Cheap as sin, you can always seem to buy some after you are down to the last handful of points, they can cover ground, hold it well enough, always seem to drive the AI crazy hehe and they can ride almost any sze vehicle.

What's your favourite cheap unit with a nice functionality, that can be found in any nations menus?

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 9/10/2002 1:47:13 AM   
Taglia

Rifle Squad :)

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
Along with LtS - 9/10/2002 2:01:22 AM   
challenge

I think the 4-man Recon squad is one of the most useful on the board. I didn't think they were worth much when I started playing, but over time they have proved there worth. With the SMG and the AT mine, they have held a position long enough to bring up a rifle squad or to as relief, and as they move slowly forward they spot most of the small AT and infantry units the enemy fires with.

Good, effective unit for the cost.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

Post #: 3
Cheep as far as AFV's are concerned - 9/10/2002 4:29:17 AM   
Gary Tatro

I would go with the mobil Quad 50 cal. Shots down planes all the time, eats up infantry like bacon, destroies ATG's with one shot and can destroy halftracks and other small Armored cars.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

Post #: 4
- 9/10/2002 5:11:22 AM   
Warrior

I agree with challenge: the recon squads usually have high experience and morale and can be a real pain for the enemy.

Retreat is NOT an option.

Post #: 5
- 9/10/2002 5:15:09 AM   
Jacc

Rifle Squad. That's true - you can do everything with it.

Pain is for the weak.

Post #: 6
- 9/10/2002 7:47:55 AM   
stevemk1a

I like motorcycle squads ... great for recon and a bit of hit and run! if there's a target of opportunity they can gather quickly like a flock of vultures :D I usually pass on the motorcycle MG teams though, they seem to be less effective and more fragile.

Post #: 7
- 9/10/2002 4:48:51 PM   
Colonel von Blitz

Hmm, my favorite cheap multi use unit...I can't name a single one, but here are some:

1) HMGs (MG42, Soviet 12,7mm, US 50cal, Vickers). These units wipe out men at awesome rate.

2) 32cm Schweres Wurfgerät. One just got to love those flames :D

3) Medium mortar (3in, 81mm, 82mm). Excellent weapon for creating suppression with pinpoint accuracy.

Colonel von Blitz

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

Post #: 8
- 9/10/2002 8:33:32 PM   
ananias

The snipers are quite useful, if used correctly....and so is the soviet aa-truck with quad-maxims. That thing gives german infantry a good slapping. They´re a bit frail, tho....

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

Post #: 9
- 9/10/2002 8:54:11 PM   
Voriax

Hmm..multi-use? I've always liked halftracks, especially such ones that have many mg's. They move fast, with 2-3 mg's great in mowing down infantry, with AAMG they also work against aircraft. And if I happen to have that infantry unit with them I can always use the 'suppress with mg's, drive close, dump infantry and let it kill the enemy' method of attack.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 10
- 9/10/2002 10:04:51 PM   
gnoccop

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Voriax
[B]... And if I happen to have that infantry unit with them I can always use the 'suppress with mg's, drive close, dump infantry and let it kill the enemy' method of attack.

Voriax [/B][/QUOTE]

This is the way I use HT and infantry too.
But is this a real tactic or just a game tactic? I'm not a military expert so I don't no real combined arms tactics...
Just curious...:confused:

"Violence is the last resource of incompetents". (I. Asimov)

Post #: 11
- 9/10/2002 10:51:37 PM   
Charles2222

I have a number of them, but one of my favorite toys for the time being is cavalry.

Their main advantage is that they are a quick unit without being easily destroyed. If you need smoke somewhere quickly, and generally use them as a middle or latter unit, they can be used that way. They're good at spotting too. Their speed can easily get them out of trouble.

I pick one of them typically as my last core unit. They're really good for the mopping up stages. Another little area where they can be pretty effective is attacking the enemy artillery. Because of a lot of guns responding quickly, in a lot of cases armored cars are pretty useless unless in numbers, but it seems that cavalry attack guns very well with not too much risk, particularly if you're talking very short range. One thing I think that helps them, is that armored cars draw fire from any unit, whereas I think some of the ATGs may tend to disregard them because of their soft status. It just seems to me in close quarters with guns even if they suffer from the first shot against them, they're very likely to come out on top. I've never tried the light cavalry some nations have, and I don't think there's enough weapons there for them to prove useful in anything but a very strict scouting and possibly any emergency smoke-grenading that may be needed.

Post #: 12
- 9/10/2002 10:58:20 PM   
ruxius

Not multifunctional , sure ..but almost always useful : MINES ..very cheap and placed in your rear can sometimes really help you ! when I am allowed I always buy some of them !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 13
- 9/10/2002 11:21:41 PM   
Voriax

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gnoccop
[B]

This is the way I use HT and infantry too.
But is this a real tactic or just a game tactic? I'm not a military expert so I don't no real combined arms tactics...
Just curious...:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Afaik one rl tactic is just this..use APC's to suppress the enemy and transport your troops fast and protected from small arms fire into the front of the enemy position where the troops unload and storm the position. In cases where the enemy positions are weak the APC might even drive in the middle of the enemy and then disembark troops.

It all depends of the opposition, though.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

Post #: 14
- 9/11/2002 12:39:13 AM   
Belisarius

For the multirole units, my fav's are:

1) the quad MG (air support AND infantry grinder!)

2) the sniper-scout

3) rifle infantry (as long as they carry some sort of AT capable weapon with them...grenades, mines, 'zookas...)

Got StuG?

Post #: 15
- 9/11/2002 2:21:18 AM   
Katana

Cavalry and/or motorcycles when available, for reasons listed above.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC

Post #: 16
- 9/11/2002 9:27:41 AM   
Hades

Finnish Cavalry!!!!! Nothing in the world beats them.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

Post #: 17
- 9/11/2002 10:26:40 AM   
tracer

Here's two cheap ones that I always buy: GE kubelwagen...recon status, lots of movement, can carry small squads, and if true-troop-cost is on they're only 2 points!! And at that price who cares if you lose them? The other is the Soviet partisan/sapper squads....cheap pickets that can actually cause serious damage.

Jim NSB

Post #: 18
- 9/11/2002 11:57:23 AM   
OKW-73

Engineer Squad with flame throwers...can destroy almost anything if lucky :D

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

Post #: 19
- 9/11/2002 12:51:34 PM   
antarctic

Not really cheap... but FT (Flamethrower) tanks and a mass of rocket artillery.....heavy firepower, suppresses tanks like he** and wipes infantry oiff the map..

Antarctic

"Quantity has a quality of its own"
-Stalin

Post #: 20
- 9/11/2002 2:51:21 PM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tracer
[B]Here's two cheap ones that I always buy: GE kubelwagen...recon status, lots of movement, can carry small squads, and if true-troop-cost is on they're only 2 points!! And at that price who cares if you lose them? The other is the Soviet partisan/sapper squads....cheap pickets that can actually cause serious damage. [/B][/QUOTE]

Beat me to it, Tracer! ;) Also my two favorite - cheap-but-handy units.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

Post #: 21
- 9/11/2002 6:26:38 PM   
Vetkin

Gun Teams, just because they look like chariots hehehehe :)

Seriously though, the German flame HT, I find it faster and better than PzIII flame tanks. The HT has 2 FTs instead of 1 and is faster.

Post #: 22
- 9/16/2002 1:26:03 AM   
Irinami

Fricking Motorcycles (or US Cavalry), baby. Bloody fast, and as powerful as a basic rifle squad. The occasional breakdowns are no real problem because... by the time they break down, you're probably there! :D Oh, it also seems they're considered wheeled vehicles, meaning the faster you move, the harder it is to hit them. Not positive on this.

US Cav has that pair of BAR's in it that can really pull a boy through. GE MG Motorcycles, though, aren't worth it. They pack the same LMG as the regular MG Motorcycles, and while they can move and fire, they have only three men... making it terribly easy for them to rout and disperse... or be whiped out entirely in one attack.

The scouting abilities of both really add that extra oomph.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

Post #: 23
- 9/16/2002 12:26:49 PM   
Randy

For recon I use the motorcycle squads. They are cheap, and they have great distance for recon. For defense, I like the US quad .50 halftracks. These AFVs are like grass-cutters. I like to keep a couple in reserve to plug any breakthroughs/gaps.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 24
- 9/16/2002 8:37:05 PM   
Irinami

Forgot about that...

When I buy an infantry unit with Halftracks, I tend to replace the MG's with another unit (maybe AT, maybe Mortar, maybe Scout), and use the Halftracks as the unit's MG section. Highly mobile, and it can move AND fire. Sure it can't really sneak as well, but I've got a hard enough time as it is sneaking. Besides, when you finally get those MG's into play, your stealth is probably busted anyway--so I can just keep the HT's behind a near ridge or forest and haul 'em up when the shooting starts.

They DO go *POP!* pretty easily, though... :eek:

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Whats your favourite cheap multi use unit type Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI