Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Out of pilot slots

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Out of pilot slots Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/5/2011 5:24:45 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: House Stark

For the people saying that 1,000,000+ pilot slots will lead to pilot and plane "hoarding" in backwaters: I got the impression that the problem was that people couldn't maintain frontline squadrons and training squadrons for the planes they had. Which is ridiculous-you're not going to send undertrained pilots into battle if you have too, nor should you suddenly be unable to have replacements for front line units training for some weird mystical reason. For better or worse, on map training is almost always required in this game, so there will always be some squadrons remaining in backwater regions.

The only possible problems with a massive increase in the pilot array seem to be that it could cause a jump in RAM requirements, and that some 3rd party programs might not be regularly updated and would become unusable for a time or potentially forever.

Actually it is stronger than that. I have not counted lately, but the Japanese get over fifty training units (with 30-90 pilots each) that can ONLY train pilots.
Actually those units can have well over 100 pilots each. Most can have 120 to get your kami's in process as you burn through pilots at an incredible rate with kami's.

Pax

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 31
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/5/2011 10:18:50 AM   
michaelm75au

If I increase it, I would only go to 70K for a few reasons. One big one is the increase in the size of the save file.

Michael

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 32
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/8/2011 1:46:48 PM   
jwilkerson

Note that we already doubled the number of pilot slots (32K to 64K) from WITP to AE. Encountering pilot array overflow, it not just purely a function of poor planning on the part of designers. Somehow, some players seem to wind up consuming many more pilots than others.
When we've looked at saves, we've seen groups with hundreds and even over a 1000 pilots. So continuing to add more and more pilots to the groups is a key component of the issue. More controls here might be in order as well.
I fear even a million slots will not end the problem - but it should marginalize it more than it is now.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 33
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/8/2011 3:54:49 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

When we've looked at saves, we've seen groups with hundreds and even over a 1000 pilots. So continuing to add more and more pilots to the groups is a key component of the issue. More controls here might be in order as well.

How can you do that? I am limited to about 10% more that the max planes in the group which is only 54 pilots in a 49 pilot group. There are a couple of training units that take 100 pilots but most seem to be about 30-50.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 34
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/8/2011 6:52:04 PM   
PaxMondo

Some of the end game IJ training units are large. A couple of hundred pilots easily. I haven't done a thousand in an air group, in fact, I thought there was a hard limit of 512 ... but I haven't tested that.

Pax

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 35
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/8/2011 7:22:44 PM   
hunchback77

quote:

quote:

How can you do that? I am limited to about 10% more that the max planes in the group which is only 54 pilots in a 49 pilot group. There are a couple of training units that take 100 pilots but most seem to be about 30-50.

Pompack you can in fact have more than 33% extra pilots for the official patch. Just keep hitting the request veteran button and activate them when they arrive. I have some small IJA units with double and triple the number of Pilots for training.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 36
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/8/2011 8:23:39 PM   
Alfred

quote:

Note that we already doubled the number of pilot slots (32K to 64K) from WITP to AE. Encountering pilot array overflow, it not just purely a function of poor planning on the part of designers. Somehow, some players seem to wind up consuming many more pilots than others.
I fear even a million slots will not end the problem - but it should marginalize it more than it is now.

I thought the increase had only been from 32k to 50k.

I have no doubt that whatever you do, you will receive complaints. Far too many people are very poor players but their egos will never allow them to admit it; not when it is always far easier to blame the game and the developers.

Alfred

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 37
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/8/2011 8:37:23 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: hunchback77

quote:

quote:

Pompack you can in fact have more than 33% extra pilots for the official patch. Just keep hitting the request veteran button and activate them when they arrive. I have some small IJA units with double and triple the number of Pilots for training.

Nope, my add veteran button vanishes at about 10%. Must be the effect of one of the betas.

< Message edited by pompack -- 8/8/2011 8:38:15 PM >

(in reply to hunchback77)
Post #: 38
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/9/2011 10:32:53 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Some of the end game IJ training units are large. A couple of hundred pilots easily. I haven't done a thousand in an air group, in fact, I thought there was a hard limit of 512 ... but I haven't tested that.

I think that 512 is the limit for pilots in ONE group. If it went above that I doubt that they would be shown.

Michael

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 39
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/9/2011 2:54:07 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I think that 512 is the limit for pilots in ONE group. If it went above that I doubt that they would be shown.

My testing now confirms that 512 is the max in any one group. Now when you try to force more in, and they will show as moving to the air group from reserves, where they go is another question. I have not been able to determine if they:
1. go back into reserve
2. are hidden in the air group
3. or are released from the game.

Any insight? Thanks.

Pax

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 40
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/9/2011 2:57:13 PM   
michaelm75au

I think that they end up 'hidden' in the group.

Michael

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 41
RE: Out of pilot slots - 8/9/2011 3:57:26 PM   
PaxMondo

Ahhh, that would fit my testing. The reserves do decrease, but since you can't see the hidden ones, not sure if they were released or not.

Thanks!

Pax

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Out of pilot slots Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI