Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this on purpose?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is this on purpose? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 3:00:16 PM   
randal7

I remember someone saying resources will be more important in Legends. I took this to mean because each race has bonus resources. However, I have explored about 50 systems in my current game and have no chromium. I haven't seen anyone else mention this sort of problem, so maybe I'm just unlucky. There is chromium in the galaxy per the colony planner window.

If regional scarcities have been implemented in the Legends, excellent idea. I've never had a resource problem this far in before, and it adds intensity to the game. I just hope it is implemented better than in Civ3.

So, feature or bad luck?
Post #: 1
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 3:01:38 PM   
Bingeling

Bad luck, I figure. I had no resource problems, but I started in the core of a large spiral. It would be more exciting to start far out where systems are few and far between.

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 3:13:21 PM   
WoodMan

Bad luck probably.

I notice a lot of people over the past year or two have complained about lack of resources and grinding to a halt etc, there is one at the top of the forum at the moment saying he is running out of steel because his contructors on auto haven't built mines for it, in Das123 interactive AAR in the AAR forum he had fuel shortages crippling his Empire. 

In all my games of DW only once ever have I grind to a halt, and it was because of Chromium   That was about a year ago, no problems since, so I'm guessing you got bad luck like I had that one time.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 4:14:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

Resources are a bit more scarce in Legends and each location now has a cap on how much you can extract. Combined with the key resources for each faction, the net result should be that resources are a more important part of gameplay now. Based on the reports so far, that seems to be the case, though the automated construction AI looks like it needs a few more tweaks as well.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 5:58:57 PM   
Fideach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Resources are a bit more scarce in Legends and each location now has a cap on how much you can extract. Combined with the key resources for each faction, the net result should be that resources are a more important part of gameplay now. Based on the reports so far, that seems to be the case, though the automated construction AI looks like it needs a few more tweaks as well.

Regards,

- Erik

so Erik, is that what triggers resources being "exhausted" on a planet? You can literally mine resources out now?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 6:05:23 PM   
martok

quote:

Resources are a bit more scarce in Legends and each location now has a cap on how much you can extract.

Clarification, please: Does this mean there's now a cap on resources you can extract per [second, minute, etc.]? Or is there now a limit on how many resources you can extract from a planet/moon/asteroid over the course of the entire game? (I really hope it's not the latter!)

< Message edited by martok -- 11/27/2011 6:08:55 PM >

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 6
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 6:07:47 PM   
the1sean

In other words: this is on purpose, but the AI needs to be optimized to deal with it...

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 6:19:08 PM   
BigWolfChris

Current game, I noticed none of my ships were building, found out I had zero supply of carbon fibre in my general area (which is required to build hyperdrives for starters)
Cue me taking over my recon and constructor ships looking for a source somewhere lol, fortunately I found 2 sources just outside the borders of AI empires... so yea, I'm staying close friends with them until I build up a sizeable reserve so they don't take them out lol

However, other than the occasional shortage at the beginning, I'm still finding the economy far too easy

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 10:36:36 PM   
randal7

I'm not sure how you would maintain a shortage across the whole game/galaxy without crippling the AI. I would like to see this as a feature, or maybe better as a difficulty option. Make one or two strategic resources very rare/nonexistant within a 1 sector radius (or thereabouts) of the player's start location. Wouldn't bother the AI's but would slow down your initial jump into the lead.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 9
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 11:14:31 PM   
Erik Rutins

The cap I mentioned is a cap on extraction rate, FYI.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 10
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/27/2011 11:32:24 PM   
Nedrear

So the ressource does not die down by itself... still is it an extract rate cap limiting the amount of extractors in a station - meaning more than X gives you **** - or an overall % that is applied to a system to hinder abundant systems to spawn.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

Post #: 11
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 2:21:00 AM   
Fideach

How do you figure what the cap is? I usually put two extractors on each of my mining stations, so I'm curious to know if that is a waste of resources now or not.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 12
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 7:15:09 AM   
martok

@Erik & Nedrear:  Appreciate the clarification.  That sounds good.   

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 13
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 8:15:37 AM   
Okim

Got myself a game without chromium and carbon fibre in 3 sector wide radius. Had to eradicate little rodents who were lucky enough to start the game with both these resources on their homeworld.

BTW, during the game one of my colonies received a new luxury resource - that was a WOW kind of a surprise. Nice work, devs :)
Does it happen only with luxury resources or is there a chance to get a strategic resource on your colony? Also does it work with any resource or only native to the planet type?

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 14
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 2:58:34 PM   
Ufarsin

One time I lost the important luxury goods Korrabian spice (I think it was spice) on the otherwise useless planet Korabbia... there was then no further sites of this luxury goods in the entire galaxy.

So my guess is anything can come or go

(in reply to Okim)
Post #: 15
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 3:09:01 PM   
Nalim27

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fideach
How do you figure what the cap is? I usually put two extractors on each of my mining stations, so I'm curious to know if that is a waste of resources now or not.

I second that. I put more extractors (double the default amount if I remember correctly) to mining designs too - because it is more effective to have twice extractors on single station (and defended station) instead of two stations with single extractor. This strategy works fine in Return of Shakturi but it is looks that this is not useful now.

Erik, can you describe what is the cap value? It is possible to display that value in the game, or it is stored in some game file, or hardcoded in exe?

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 16
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 3:17:53 PM   
BigWolfChris

I'm sort of hoping the cap would be along the lines of that % we see being that it allows mine that % of your base/ships own extraction rate (so if your station has an extraction of 10, it will only mine a planet with 50% at a rate of 5)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Nalim27)
Post #: 17
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:01:01 PM   
dstone16321

quote:

Is it?

I exhausted a polymer resource in my game...

It would be cool for this to be a setup option or modded out, because although it could be interesting late game and its realistic I would personally prefer the resources to be infinite.

Edit:

Just to confirm I am a new player, so it may of always been this way - it was on a colony as well, perhaps it only happens on colonies?

< Message edited by dstone16321 -- 11/28/2011 4:03:13 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:02:24 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

So in other words, putting more mining engines on a mining base will have nil effect on the rate now?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 19
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:02:48 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: dstone16321

Is it?

I exhausted a polymer resource in my game...

It would be cool for this to be a setup option or modded out, because although it could be interesting late game and its realistic I would personally prefer the resources to be infinite.

I think the percentage reflects the speed at which you can extract it. As in a percentage of 1 unit-per-tick. The resource exhaustion and resource discovery are just events. So barring events, your resources are infinite. The only cap is on extraction speed.

Unless I'm completely wrong.

(in reply to dstone16321)
Post #: 20
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:04:53 PM   
feelotraveller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

So in other words, putting more mining engines on a mining base will have nil effect on the rate now?

After a yet to be determined point.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 21
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:05:05 PM   
dstone16321

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

I think the percentage reflects the speed at which you can extract it. As in a percentage of 1 unit-per-tick. The resource exhaustion and resource discovery are just events. So barring events, your resources are infinite. The only cap is on extraction speed.

Unless I'm completely wrong.

Ah I see. Thanks :)

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 22
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:09:23 PM   
the1sean

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Erik, does this mean that the mining techs are useless to upgrade. Clarification is necessary, and this needs to be updated in the Galactopedia.

Post #: 23
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:16:59 PM   
feelotraveller

I think Erik is being deliberately coy about this.

What I can say is that sticking two mining engines on your bases in the early game speeds up extraction. Sticking four on speeds it up even more. But from what Erik is saying there is a point where sticking even more on will not speed it up.

Having better mining tech means you need less engines to get the same extraction rate.

If someone is particularly interested they could test this for us all and report back. Me I'm too lazy and just want someone else to serve it up on a platter.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 24
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:18:33 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

I believe the entire system works in multipliers within multipliers. You may never get 100% efficiency from that 37% Resource, but you can certainly improve the rate.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 25
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:22:06 PM   
solops

quote:

ORIGINAL: randal7

I remember someone saying resources will be more important in Legends. I took this to mean because each race has bonus resources. However, I have explored about 50 systems in my current game and have no chromium. I haven't seen anyone else mention this sort of problem, so maybe I'm just unlucky. There is chromium in the galaxy per the colony planner window.

I have had the chromium problem twice. I think there is a problem with the current model although I agree that resources had too little impact in RoTS.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 26
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:29:10 PM   
solops

quote:

"each location now has a cap on how much you can extract."

Regards,

- Erik

This is bad. Very bad. Please make it optional. It makes long, slow R&D games unplayable.

Resource scarcity would be better modelled more heavily on quantity, consumption and transport. Sources always running out (depletion), while perhaps ultimately realistic, is not balanced properly by the almost infinite richeness of possible sources across the galaxy, nor can it be in game terms while still trying to have mineral limitations as a factor in the economic equation.

As implemented now, the resource location quantity cap (mineral depletion to zero) should be optional.

< Message edited by solops -- 11/28/2011 4:48:37 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

Post #: 27
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:31:36 PM   
solops

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Just read this. However, I have gotten in-game messages that resources have been depleted several times. This is not an extraction rate cap!

Post #: 28
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:32:14 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Just read this. However, I have gotten in-game messages that resources have been depleted several times. This is not an extraction rate cap!

Those messages are random events. You can turn them off by turning off random events.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 29
RE: Is this on purpose? - 11/28/2011 4:44:01 PM   
w1p

Let me get this right.

Resources are infinite unless a random event removes them (but on the flip side random event sometimes ADDS them)

Your mining rate is 10, which is 10 per tick (for example) and if the resource is 50% you mine at 50% efficiency? *edit so 50% of 10 is 5 per tick*

But there is a cap, which means once you start mining at 40 per tick (if that's 4 basic mining extractors on a 100%, or 4 high tech ones on 60% etc. etc.) then there's no point having any more?

Can this cap be explained a bit more please, confused!!

Thanks

< Message edited by w1p -- 11/28/2011 5:12:53 PM >

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Is this on purpose? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI