Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hasty Mod - test

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Hasty Mod - test Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/24/2011 2:55:15 AM   
Rosseau

Okay guys, but how about those .usc and usx files? The Matrix page says the game ships with an editor, which I know was not accurate when I bought the game. But I would like to "alter" a few scenarios if it is possible.

Have a great, long weekend.

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 31
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/24/2011 8:52:22 AM   
nenad

You can open them with zip/rar, What's inside is mostly human-readable.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 32
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/25/2011 2:08:10 AM   
Rosseau

"Open with..." did the trick.

I think it's a good sign the modding forum is so quiet. People are too busy playing the game to worry about hacking it.

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 33
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/26/2011 5:11:11 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Changing counters is really simple though. Each on-map unit icon is composed of two overlying pngs of the same pixel-size: main graphic in data/unit_rot and underlying ellipse in data/unit_icons.

It's simple enough but not trivial. I've spent some time figuring this out finally and managed to mod the German Infantry icons with something I like, so now I have templates to work with. Works fine, but replacing all 60 unit_rot images takes a while. Ah well, on to the next one.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 34
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/27/2011 5:28:53 AM   
sbdb

All the suggested NATO designs are butt ugly. Sorry, I'm just giving my honest opinion as an experienced designer, none of them come even close to the excellent work of the person who designed the GUI and graphics of this game, heck they even seem to be totally out of place, since the designs don't even match the overall look of this game.

I never understood this ultimate need for NATO symbols anyways, they're not aesthetically pleasing to begin with and just confusing to people who are new to this genre and who often don't even buy the game because of that. Oh well...I guess some people want to avoid losing respect in the community of die-hard old-timers, after all it seems to be blasphemy to them to move heads instead of NATO symbols! It reminds me a lot of web designers who want to sound professional by claiming that they only use "notepad", while funny enough a more professional code editor like PhpED would save them a lot of time or offer numerous other advantages!

Well done 2x2 games for dumping these ugly NATO symbols and not creating (from a graphics design point of view) yet another boring looking Gary Grigsby’s War look-a-like, those who want the symbols will get them anyways, since even a child can make those. Now you present yourself at least to potential customers as a "new kid on the block", you sure got my attention because of this, that eventually resulted in buying this game.

< Message edited by sbdb -- 11/27/2011 5:38:21 AM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 35
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/27/2011 12:31:24 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

it seems to be blasphemy to them to move heads instead of NATO symbols!

Not at all. Just a personal preference. Perhaps something that comes from serving in the military and having a more serious interest in military wargaming than in eye candy? Regardless, nobody's demanding anything, just requesting some options so we all can play our games the way we would like to play them. Experienced designers looking to market to the widest audience possible should consider different customer preferences and offer options, yes? And I for one am not criticizing the 3D graphics, they are all very well done and the game itself is quite enjoyable.

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 36
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/27/2011 7:12:53 PM   
Moltke71

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

Still messing around with the profile icons - no NATO as yet.

I made the counters smaller. So far I have stuck to one color for all Axis units as the different colors for Italy etc. made the map confusing. The icon size is too small to support a flag for each nation.

Comments?

I like these/ Let me know where to get them. I'll use them after I finish my review.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 37
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/27/2011 11:49:28 PM   
TomBombadil711

quote:

ORIGINAL: sbdb

All the suggested NATO designs are butt ugly. Sorry, I'm just giving my honest opinion as an experienced designer, none of them come even close to the excellent work of the person who designed the GUI and graphics of this game, heck they even seem to be totally out of place, since the designs don't even match the overall look of this game.

I never understood this ultimate need for NATO symbols anyways, they're not aesthetically pleasing to begin with and just confusing to people who are new to this genre and who often don't even buy the game because of that. Oh well...I guess some people want to avoid losing respect in the community of die-hard old-timers, after all it seems to be blasphemy to them to move heads instead of NATO symbols! It reminds me a lot of web designers who want to sound professional by claiming that they only use "notepad", while funny enough a more professional code editor like PhpED would save them a lot of time or offer numerous other advantages!

Well done 2x2 games for dumping these ugly NATO symbols and not creating (from a graphics design point of view) yet another boring looking Gary Grigsby’s War look-a-like, those who want the symbols will get them anyways, since even a child can make those. Now you present yourself at least to potential customers as a "new kid on the block", you sure got my attention because of this, that eventually resulted in buying this game.

I do not think it is fair to call the present mod attempts "butt ugly". Not all of us are experienced designers like sbdb and I will highly appreciate any mod that will be made available for the community. I have bought the game despite the unit symbols and like the game very much - in the meantime even the unit symbols. Nevertheless I will give other symbols a try. What about icons used in Gary Grigsby's World at War? Is it possible to use similar symbols in this game?

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 38
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/28/2011 5:33:47 PM   
Kipper

@redmarkus4

Great work - seriously thinking about picking this one up now. Well done and thanks!

< Message edited by Kipper -- 11/28/2011 5:36:03 PM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 39
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/28/2011 5:35:38 PM   
Kipper

@pzgndr

Looks really well - great work!

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 40
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/28/2011 6:20:54 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

What's your affiliation with this game sbdb? You clearly have some agenda (imho). You accuse someone, in another thread, of piracy. You post here calling everyones work "butt ugly", and put down gamers who were probably gaming before you were pooping in diapers. What's your angle?

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 41
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/28/2011 10:00:53 PM   
UTF

Modifications look nice and get player back to the old school style of war gaming (thought as a complete nub and mass culture victim I prefer 3D graphics). I would like to discuss another issue here which seems to be more important if we speak about realistic war modeling. Today I had a discussion on 2X2 forum when pointing to the fact that you can not actually concentrate forces by placing more than one unit in one hex. Developer said basic logic denied that idea. What do you think about the influence this feature has on the game play? Is there any JAVA developer around who can point to basic logic file of the game (dll?) and can say whether there is a chance to alter this feature?

< Message edited by UTF -- 11/28/2011 10:01:18 PM >

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 42
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/28/2011 10:26:07 PM   
UTF

quote:

none of them come even close to the excellent work of the person who designed the GUI and graphics of this game,

sbdb - with all the due respect to the game designer who did a good work, can you evaluate how relevant are those graphic representation to the actual look of WW2 uniform? Have any idea how, say, Red Army uniform looked? Thought the representation is fairly good it lacks at least proper color. But that is aesthetical preference. What is actually good about those "ugly" NATO designations is that you don’t need to "design" them; they are universal and quite obvious to everyone paying 5 minutes to manual. You will definitely need same 5 minutes to learn all the styles of uniform presented in game.

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 43
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 1:15:37 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTF

Modifications look nice and get player back to the old school style of war gaming (thought as a complete nub and mass culture victim I prefer 3D graphics). I would like to discuss another issue here which seems to be more important if we speak about realistic war modeling. Today I had a discussion on 2X2 forum when pointing to the fact that you can not actually concentrate forces by placing more than one unit in one hex. Developer said basic logic denied that idea. What do you think about the influence this feature has on the game play? Is there any JAVA developer around who can point to basic logic file of the game (dll?) and can say whether there is a chance to alter this feature?

I don't know about the JAVA limitations, but the lack of stacking (you can't even pass a unit through a hex containing another) removes much of the realism. This design decision needs a re-think, IMHO.

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to UTF)
Post #: 44
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 1:18:16 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

We won't be adding the counter option anytime soon. However, I'd love to see a well executed nato mod. As already demonstrated - this is fairly easy to do technically. It doesn't involve a lot of physical work because the total number of different unit icons is relatively small.

While I agree that this is technically pretty easy to do, I tried making a few counter mods yesterday and found the total number of .png icons is not exactly small, nor is it intuitive how to get counters centered just right for best display. Also there's like 60 different rotational images for each unit icon that all need to be modded and I couldn't seem to get this to work well.

As a modest request, could we maybe get a blank template for a properly centered square unit counter for the different image directories? There's a difference between what's shown on the map and what's shown on the Info Sheets. We don't need all the different units, just a few templates to edit. That would be helpful. Thanks.

Perhaps redmarkus4 has already figured this out and could post something for download. The counter size in post #25 above looks good.

If you are doing a counter mod, that doesn't require the animations. So, just save your first image over the remaining 59 ('Save As') and when the game plays the 'animation' you will just see a static counter there. You don't need to draw 60 separate images - one is enough.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 45
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 1:26:41 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

1. That's your opinion but that doesn't make the rest of us wrong. It's a mod discussion, not a change to the base game. If you don't like it, don't download it.
2. A lot of players (mainly ex-mil or old school war gamers I suspect) prefer the NATO symbols because they say more to us than a 'head'. After 40 years of army service and war gaming, I would like to stick to what I know. If a sizable segment of the potential customer base feels that way, then a smart developer would cater to it.
3. Most everyone posting here said quite clearly that they were just playing around with the graphics files to see what's possible.

(in reply to sbdb)
Post #: 46
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 2:45:13 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

If you are doing a counter mod, that doesn't require the animations. So, just save your first image over the remaining 59 ('Save As')

That's what I'm doing. It's easy, but 59 save-as's takes time. But hey, once a hard-headed grunt, always a hard-headed grunt...

quote:

What's your affiliation with this game sbdb?

I kinda wonder about this too, but frankly I don't care. There's a springbutt in every crowd on these forums. Start a discussion about modding anything (which the developers clearly emphasize about the game being easily moddable?) and some yahoo has to step up and talk smack.

Ditto for saying anything about playing against an AI and not a real person. Although frankly the UoC AI is very good and we haven't heard much from the yahoos yet about that. Regardless, we're all gonna play our games the way we want to play them and no amount of bullying is gonna stop us.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 47
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 3:30:27 PM   
nenad

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

If you are doing a counter mod, that doesn't require the animations. So, just save your first image over the remaining 59 ('Save As')

That's what I'm doing. It's easy, but 59 save-as's takes time. But hey, once a hard-headed grunt, always a hard-headed grunt...

No need to do this manually. It can be easily automated via scripting.

Here's a quick batch script that will copy a *_00 file over remaining 59.

Some directions:

1) save the script into unit_rot directory
2) open the command line shell (start>run>"cmd")
3) type "cd [your_unit_rot_directory]" <enter>
4) type "ucopy [filename]" <enter>

[filename] should be the name of your source *_00.png file without _00 suffix and without .png extension, for example; to copy ger_geb_42_00.png type "ucopy ger_geb_42"

Hope this helps.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by nenad -- 11/29/2011 3:40:51 PM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 48
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 4:17:35 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Here's a quick batch script that will copy a *_00 file over remaining 59.

Now THAT is slick. I'll be updating my butt-ugly icons at warp speed now and getting on with the game. Thank you!

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 49
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 7:04:03 PM   
TomBombadil711

May I ask if one of you fine modders will share what he has created? Thanks in advance.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 50
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 8:41:30 PM   
Terrific T

sbdb,

I agree with you on the well graphic design of this game; there are so many wargames that come with poor graphics (map, interface,... )... Fed up with these ones who think that a wargame don't need to be pleaseant to the eye. Sure it's not the key point for this kind of games, but when I see people arguing not buying this game because it 's not in their "standard design", it makes me laugh . I just want to say THANK YOU to the developpers for their very good work.

however, I don't see any trouble in modding this game with NATO symbols, even if I think it 's not so difficult to understand that a head symbol is used for infantry.

Taking more of age, the less open to change... just hope it's not an evidence that the wargaming community is getting older and older...

(please be kind with my english... )

" La seule arme qui m'intéresse, c'est le tire-bouchon. "

(" I 'm interested in only one weapon: the corkscrew...")

Jean Carmet, juillet 1992

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 51
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 11/29/2011 9:40:31 PM   
Kipper

quote:

Taking more of age, the less open to change... just hope it's not an evidence that the wargaming community is getting older and older...

Quite the opposite. I was 78 when I started wargaming and now I am in my forties.

(in reply to Terrific T)
Post #: 52
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 12/12/2011 1:16:33 AM   
Skeleton

I love the counters in the first post; any chance of uploading them for use?

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 53
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 12/19/2011 8:34:51 PM   
Skeleton

*BUMP*

redmarkus4, any chance of getting the silhouette counters? I think they look excellent and prefer them over the standard NATO counters. I have to say, anyone put off by the busts (as I was) they do grow on you. Thanks in advance!

< Message edited by Marcus the leper -- 12/19/2011 8:38:11 PM >

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 54
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 12/22/2011 4:56:28 PM   
Richie61

I too would love to get these counters

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marcus the leper

*BUMP*

redmarkus4, any chance of getting the silhouette counters? I think they look excellent and prefer them over the standard NATO counters. I have to say, anyone put off by the busts (as I was) they do grow on you. Thanks in advance!

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 55
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 12/19/2012 9:01:21 AM   
gunnergoz

Any progress on the Nato counters? I'm interested for sure.

"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying

(in reply to Richie61)
Post #: 56
RE: Hasty Mod - test - 2/24/2013 8:57:28 AM   
Redmarkus5

Changed my mind...

< Message edited by redmarkus4 -- 2/24/2013 8:58:14 AM >

(in reply to nenad)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Unity of Command Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Hasty Mod - test Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI