Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 8:49:50 PM   
colonyan

More customer means more money for DW team. More money for DW team means they can work on the game longer or make!
Its a good thing!
quote:

Dear DW dev team i really appreciate your hard work.
But i'm worried that you will burn out.
Today we have friday so please go the pub, have some beer and RELAX

PLEASE

I will repeat this. Take care.

(in reply to Gzu)
Post #: 31
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 8:50:12 PM   
Webbco

Welcome Gzu, hope you're enjoying DW!!

(in reply to Gzu)
Post #: 32
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 9:45:26 PM   
Upuauta

Short info: the update to version 1.7.0.6 is up and can be downloaded through the update-loader.

(in reply to Gzu)
Post #: 33
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:14:04 PM   
Evrett

/cry updater is not updating for for..it says there is a new update but freezes up at the downloading file point 

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

(in reply to Upuauta)
Post #: 34
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:20:04 PM   
tomjoolz

Worked fine for me. :D

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 35
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:21:06 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

Ive never gotten the Matrix auto-updater to work.. for either DW or Armada 2526.

I'm sure this is an issue with my computer settings, just not sure where.

< Message edited by Gelatinous Cube -- 12/9/2011 10:22:09 PM >

(in reply to tomjoolz)
Post #: 36
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:26:01 PM   
Neotheone

Well I didn't have nutthin but problems with the 1.07.6 beta and went back to 1.07.5 and been playing all day and not a crash or a popup error box or anything. Something buggy about 1.07.6 for me and it's no big deal there's not enough in 1.07.6 to matter to me as long as I can play without crashes and error messages.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 37
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:34:35 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neotheone

Well I didn't have nutthin but problems with the 1.07.6 beta and went back to 1.07.5 and been playing all day and not a crash or a popup error box or anything. Something buggy about 1.07.6 for me and it's no big deal there's not enough in 1.07.6 to matter to me as long as I can play without crashes and error messages.

This might sound silly, since I'm actually really bad with computers (and can only state what I think I know):

I had a problem with DW giving me CONSTANT "Undefined Exception" errors at seemingly random and increasingly problematic points. The problem was this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2973379

Distant Worlds was originally a garage project, and despite the generally slick interface (IMO) it uses some very unusual methods for storing and retrieving data. Methods that are easily disrupted by Windows 7, it seems. By running DW as an Administrator, and making sure that nothing funky is going on in your C/Users/<user name>/ect... folder-tree you may be able to solve your problems.

The only reason I bring this up is that you seem to have experienced some rather unusual and unique problems with the last patch, and this is the biggest computer-related issue i've come across with DW.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 38
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:45:06 PM   
Neotheone

Yeah I'm running Vista64 too. But, it doesn't make sense since it's the same game and I've NEVER had ANY issues with it previously with any updates or patches. So, I can't believe it's MY SYSTEM as if it were these issues would have shown up before. SO, it has to be in the recent programming changes in 1.07.6

I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game completely cleaning my registry of all Distant World files, loaded all the files and updates and then 1.07.6 and then loaded the old save file and within a few minutes BOOM "Distant Worlds has ceased to function properly" sucks to be you, close program stuff. lol So, then I uninstalled it all again and reinstalled up to 1.07.5 beta and haven't had an issue or problem since. It's even running that old saved game file that 1.07.6 won't run. The only thing that was wonky in the reinstall of 1.07.5 and reloading that old saved game is a ton of my military ships made a beeline for the Guardians whom I had been at war with but made peace but they just kept on going there. I soon got ahold of all of them and sent them to another colony nearby and once I rounded all the ones that were going to the Guardians home planet and sent them to different places it was fine again and the Guardians were happy.

Then all hell broke lose as the Shaturi and two more races decided I am prime beef now and now I have a war on my hands and don't know what NaN means in the colony tax row?

Post #: 39
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:48:54 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

NaN.. I have no idea. I don't think i've ever seen that. I don't have any good advice to give you for the Shakturi.. my forte is apparently elaborate defenses. I'm still figuring out the art of attack and counter-attack to a degree I feel is properly proficient. I can only wish you luck!

For the other issue:

I want you to try something... go to the folder-tree I specified above, right-click it, go to properties, and then de-select read-only for the ENTIRE folder tree. Windows will automatically re-secure the important vital folders immediately, but if your DW temp folders had been inadvertantly set to read-only then this will solve your problems.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 40
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:52:55 PM   
Neotheone

Don't need to do anything to the folders and properties now since the game is and has been running fine with 1.07.5 and I don't feel like screwing it up again trying to see if something works. Maybe after I finish this game and am about to start a new one I'll try reinstalling 1.07.6 again the official update one which by the sounds of it is just the beta renamed.

Post #: 41
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 10:54:22 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

Don't need to do anything to the folders and properties now since the game is and has been running fine with 1.07.5 and I don't feel like screwing it up again trying to see if something works. Maybe after I finish this game and am about to start a new one I'll try reinstalling 1.07.6 again the official update one which by the sounds of it is just the beta renamed.

The problem though, is that if the issue is with the folder then it will persist in future patches, and eventually affect your 1705 game, too. I'm sure this is a by-product of the way the game stores temporary information in that folder tree, combined with the way it separates save games by version.

Of course, I could be completely and totally wrong. I am by NO MEANS a computer expert.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 42
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 11:15:25 PM   
Evrett

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

Ive never gotten the Matrix auto-updater to work.. for either DW or Armada 2526.

Hmm so where does one go for the update if the downloader wont cough it up?

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Post #: 43
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 11:35:42 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evrett

quote:

Hmm so where does one go for the update if the downloader wont cough it up?

Ah, good question! Ask, and you shall recieve.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/415/downloads/

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 44
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 11:40:10 PM   
Evrett

Yay thanks! downloads in the download section...never thought to look there doh! Gave me a bit of a scare when installing it though..a few screens of the installer call it "Rise of the Shakikir v1.7.0.6" It goes back to calling it DW legends at the end..also seems to require my serial number..dont loose those kiddies!

Post #: 45
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/9/2011 11:43:49 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

Yay thanks! downloads in the download section...never thought to look there doh! Gave me a bit of a scare when installing it though..a few screens of the installer call it "Rise of the Shakikir v1.7.0.6" It goes back to calling it DW legends at the end..also seems to require my serial number..dont loose those kiddies!

If you bought the game via the Matrix Store, it should have come with an email that has the registration key in it. I have that email marked, so I don't have to go look for it every time a beta patch is released.

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 46
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2011 12:17:24 AM   
Evrett

yup serial was no problem for me..just warning others :) I'd MUCH rather reenter the serial than have on board DRM like certain other distributors require. 

Post #: 47
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2011 12:22:52 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

yup serial was no problem for me..just warning others :) I'd MUCH rather reenter the serial than have on board DRM like certain other distributors require. 

Quoted for truth.

(in reply to Evrett)
Post #: 48
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2011 1:42:04 AM   
Neotheone

quote:

NaN.. I have no idea. I don't think i've ever seen that. I don't have any good advice to give you for the Shakturi.. my forte is apparently elaborate defenses. I'm still figuring out the art of attack and counter-attack to a degree I feel is properly proficient. I can only wish you luck!

For the other issue:

I want you to try something... go to the folder-tree I specified above, right-click it, go to properties, and then de-select read-only for the ENTIRE folder tree. Windows will automatically re-secure the important vital folders immediately, but if your DW temp folders had been inadvertantly set to read-only then this will solve your problems.

Ok I tried your something and it crashed within 2 minutes. lol Ran as administrator and de-selected that read only box in the Entire folder tree. Didn't work. Games fubar!! lol

Post #: 49
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2011 2:03:29 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

quote:

For the other issue:

Ok I tried your something and it crashed within 2 minutes. lol Ran as administrator and de-selected that read only box in the Entire folder tree. Didn't work. Games fubar!! lol

Well, logic still suggests that since you are the only one experiencing this specific issue right now that it is probably something on your end. Exactly what it could be, I have no idea.. probably something ridiculously small and hard-to-find.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 50
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2011 3:36:41 AM   
Neotheone

Ok Mr. Spock you should read the tech forum before you claim "I am the only one", as there are others. I've seen the long list of others too. The exception error and the Distant Worlds is no longer working is more common than you think since before this beta 1.07.6 as well.

Post #: 51
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2011 5:59:40 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

Ok Mr. Spock you should read the tech forum before you claim "I am the only one", as there are others. I've seen the long list of others too. The exception error and the Distant Worlds is no longer working is more common than you think since before this beta 1.07.6 as well.

The vast majority of which can be fixed by making sure that the necesarry files are not being forced into read-only by windows. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but clearly you are an exception. That's nothing to take offense at, it just means we all need to think a little bit harder about what your problem might be. We've all been incredibly polite with you..

< Message edited by Gelatinous Cube -- 12/10/2011 6:00:00 AM >

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 52
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/10/2011 6:02:23 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

quote:

The vast majority of which can be fixed by making sure that the necesarry files are not being forced into read-only by windows. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, but clearly you are an exception. That's nothing to take offense at, it just means we all need to think a little bit harder about what your problem might be. We've all been incredibly polite with you..

Yep and asking for help and being rude at the same time might be counter-productive me thinks Neotheone

Post #: 53
RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! - 12/11/2011 4:02:33 PM   
nammafia

Does sector defensive posture trigger "remove your military forces from territory" message if the range overlaps the territory of the other empire? 

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 54
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New Distant Worlds v1.7.0.6 Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI