Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 10:36:52 PM   
terje439

Turn 143

Apologies
I forgot to count the number of attacks this turn. The Axis scored 1 retreat, I probably about 15 retreats, 1 rout and 4 held, but do not take these numbers (apart from the Axis ones) for the right ones.

Overall
The Axis managed to withdraw the non-surrounded units, but make no attaempts to free the allready encircled ones. As mentioned above, I forgot to write down the number of attacks made this turn, but losses were heavy on both sides;
Axis : 81.000 troops and 236 AFVs
USSR : 109.000 troops and 675 AFVs (good thing that 454 of them were the T34-1942 model of which there are still 8.000 in the pool).
The enemy keeps falling back, and this is not working for him unless he has a line with level 3 forts somwhere behind him, as in the open he does not have the CVs to withstand my attacks.
A mere 163.000 reported to the manpower pool this turn, ending it at 6.214

Units
Another 10 TACs head off for a holiday. I never should have let the first one go, now the word has spread it seems...
We form 2 rifle corps and order the construction of 2 rifle divisions, 1 rifle brigade and 3 mechanized brigades this turn.
Our forces records a net growth of 58.000 troops this turn.

HQ Zhukov
These guys keep making life difficult for the Axis, the infantry corps take alternate turns to attack, and the mechanized corps exploit any break in the line to turn it.

Units destroyed
1st Rumanian Cavalry Division and the 201st Hungarian Reserve Division were destroyed this turn.

Partisans
14 sabotague missions were made by the 26 units still active after 10 were chased away. We also manage to make 9 supply drops this turn.

Attachment (1)

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 511
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 11:38:02 PM   
randallw

What I meant was, once the Romanians join you, all of the units are on your side, even the ones deep behind the main line ( in Axis territory ).  Those units deep behind will be brittle, and will die once your opponent 'discovers' them.

You can supply them by air but that's just a drop in the bucket.  Converting hexes so they have a place to rout to, rather than surrender, will be a trick.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 512
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 12:36:52 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

What I meant was, once the Romanians join you, all of the units are on your side, even the ones deep behind the main line ( in Axis territory ).  Those units deep behind will be brittle, and will die once your opponent 'discovers' them.

You can supply them by air but that's just a drop in the bucket.  Converting hexes so they have a place to rout to, rather than surrender, will be a trick.

Ah, get your point. Will keep that in mind

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 513
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 1:21:45 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Turn 143

The enemy keeps falling back, and this is not working for him unless he has a line with level 3 forts somwhere behind him, as in the open he does not have the CVs to withstand my attacks.

Very good AAR with allot of good info.

He is trading space for time( 85 turns left) and falling back as mud will hit soon and he still has the major river line. You for sure will crack it, but if he has 2 lines of level 2 forts it will take you a while.

He can fall back a long ways and shorten his lines allot and come summer river lines will be back in play.

You also seem to have a more mobile army then most at this time which is helping you, GJ.

Your enemy is in much better shape then Kamil vs Pelton and Tarhunnas vs Gids. He has allot of space to trade for time, but you are doing very good yourself coveing ground and pocketing units.

Very interesting and informative AAR.

Good luck, its a race agianst time.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 514
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 1:47:06 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

quote:

Turn 143

He is trading space for time( 85 turns left) and falling back as mud will hit soon and he still has the major river line. You for sure will crack it, but if he has 2 lines of level 2 forts it will take you a while.

He can fall back a long ways and shorten his lines allot and come summer river lines will be back in play.

You also seem to have a more mobile army then most at this time which is helping you, GJ.

Your enemy is in much better shape then Kamil vs Pelton and Tarhunnas vs Gids. He has allot of space to trade for time, but you are doing very good yourself coveing ground and pocketing units.

Pelton

Thank you for those kind words.
I think Flaviusx is right when he says I was too late in trying to upgrade my army though, thus allowing the Axis to keep his advance going as long as it did. However as I stated, I had NO idea what I was doing for the first game year, I am using this game to get a grasp of how things work.
My biggest concerns right now are;
1. I am advancing, but too slow
2. My units are still not able to do what the Axis could up to -42, and that is to advance and end the turn with a good defensive CV, so I am still very vulnerable to counterattacks
3. I need more units, I simply lost too many divisions and corps in -42.

Terje

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 515
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 1:56:13 PM   
terje439

Turn 144

Overall
Much of the same, the Axis fall back a little bit, denying me some deliberate attacks. This turn the Axis launch two attacks scoring two retreats, one against HQ Zhukov (see below) and 1 against a division placed opposite the Rumanians across the Don. I do not undertsand why I STILL try to use divisions...
We launch a total of 28 attacks, scoring 6 held and 22 retreats. I am now having nightmares about the text "1.9 : 1".
At the end of the turn losses are reported as;
Axis : 62.000 troops and 286 AFVs
USSR : 112.000 troops and 669 AFVs (se under HQ Zhukov).
The manpower number still baffles me, it seems to drop for every city I liberate. The last few turns we have had around 165.000 arriving in the pool, this turn is no different with 164.000, but before I liberated the last two cities we were around 175.000... Anyway, the pool ends at 5.287 this turn.

Units
Another 14 TACs and 1 FB are sent to the reserves this turn. My TACs usually take a -20 hit to morale per turn .
We form 1 rifle corps and order the construction of 4 rifle divisions and 2 rifle brigades this turn. Despite heavy losses, we still manage a net growth of 53.000 troops this turn.

HQ Zhukov
I tried to use these guys like the Axis did up to -42, and that is make a hole in the line and then advance with my mech corps. Unlike the Axis panzer divisions in -42, my mechanized corps ends up with a defensive CV of about 20, and not the 60+ the Axis used to get. This turn I end up with a bloody nose as three corps are pushed back with the loss of close to 250 tanks...

Partisans
5 sabotague actions are undertaken this turn, and we manage 9 supply drops. After the Axis force 10 units to retreat, we are left with 29 units on the map.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 516
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 2:20:59 PM   
juret

t-34 losses might be high but u can replace all of em. just make sure your tank/mec corps dont rout out and cant attack next turns.

can u post a scren shot of front with zhukov HQ. how your guard units evoloving ? many new guards each turn?

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 517
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 2:58:46 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

quote:

quote:

Turn 143

Pelton

Thank you for those kind words.
I think Flaviusx is right when he says I was too late in trying to upgrade my army though, thus allowing the Axis to keep his advance going as long as it did. However as I stated, I had NO idea what I was doing for the first game year, I am using this game to get a grasp of how things work.
My biggest concerns right now are;
1. I am advancing, but too slow
2. My units are still not able to do what the Axis could up to -42, and that is to advance and end the turn with a good defensive CV, so I am still very vulnerable to counterattacks
3. I need more units, I simply lost too many divisions and corps in -42.

Terje

For your first game you have done better then most 90% and you did not quit during 1942.

By not quitting you have added to your knowledge of what to do an not do from 43 to 44.

As far as getting counter attacked at this point in the war that is not really a bad thing. German player can't replace loses and the combat ratio is almost always less then 2 to 1, which is in your favor. Anything lower then 3 to 1 your winning the war of atrition. The more he counter attacks the better for you in long run.

If I was you I watch my manpower number closely, I would attack if possible enough times to keep it constant.

Even lost attacks will add up loses for German player. Even if win lose ratio is 1 to 1 or even 1 to 1.25, as long as your OOB is not dropping your strength will remain same as his drops.

Hoooper was very good at quickly grinding down German army based mostly on the OOB.

If you are able to grind down German army during late 43 and early 44 you will have some nice size pockets by late 44 and a much faster advance.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 518
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 3:08:33 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: juret

1. t-34 losses might be high but u can replace all of em.
2. just make sure your tank/mec corps dont rout out and cant attack next turns.
3. can u post a scren shot of front with zhukov HQ. how your guard units evoloving ? many new guards each turn?

1. True, but I am now starting to lose the new T34s, that is something I cannot afford just yet, the 1942 model is no biggie, but I would like to see losses of the new model reduced.

2. Yup, making sure of that for sure :)

3. Will be attached with the next turn.

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 519
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 3:18:04 PM   
terje439

quote:

1. For your first game you have done better then most 90% and you did not quit during 1942.

2. By not quitting you have added to your knowledge of what to do an not do from 43 to 44.

3. As far as getting counter attacked at this point in the war that is not really a bad thing. German player can't replace loses and the combat ratio is almost always less then 2 to 1, which is in your favor. Anything lower then 3 to 1 your winning the war of atrition. The more he counter attacks the better for you in long run.

4. If I was you I watch my manpower number closely, I would attack if possible enough times to keep it constant.

5. Even lost attacks will add up loses for German player. Even if win lose ratio is 1 to 1 or even 1 to 1.25, as long as your OOB is not dropping your strength will remain same as his drops.

6. Hoooper was very good at quickly grinding down German army based mostly on the OOB.
If you are able to grind down German army during late 43 and early 44 you will have some nice size pockets by late 44 and a much faster advance.

Pelton

1. Well, knowing what I know now, I think I lost too many units, but with some luck (direction of Axis attacks) I managed to hold on, but it was alot of luck.

2. True, but quitting was never an option, if I start a game I will keep playing untill the opponent quits or the game ends.

3. Ah that is true, BUT when three of my mechanized corps (which are after all the only true breakthrough units I have) lose 250+ AFVs between them, they need a turn or two of rest, which again slows me down, but I see your point. The question for me however is what kills the most Axis troops;
a) allowing myself to be counterattacked or
b) keep my forces available to attack again next turn.

4. I will not attack when my total CV is 1:1 or worse than the defensive CV of the Axis stacks. Again I get that this kills enemy troops, however it also drains ALOT of power (CV) from my own units, again it is wether to attack this turn or wait untill next turn and get a better result which keeps my CV more intact. I will make attacks if I get above 1:1, which is why I still get a few "held" results each turn.

5. True again, yet it once more is the qquestion as to what kills more enemy troops, a held result this turn followed by a turn of rest, or a retreat result next turn and then another attack the turn after that again.

6. That is the hope, I really need to pick up speed, but what I am seeing(sp?? never get this one right) around HQ Zhukov is encouraging as he is now placing 1CV divisions on the frontline. Those cost me MP and do not result in alot of killed enemy troops, but they increase my chances of surrounding enemy units.

Terje

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 520
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 7:10:45 PM   
randallw

The manpower multiplier for the Soviets changes through the campaign; the 1944 and 1945 values are low.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 521
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 10:29:53 PM   
terje439

quote:

The manpower multiplier for the Soviets changes through the campaign; the 1944 and 1945 values are low.

Yeah that kinda sucks though

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 522
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/6/2012 10:36:45 PM   
terje439

Turn 145

Overall
Once more HQ Zhukov forces the Axis to fall back two hexes, and once more one of the stack under HQ Zhukov is forced to retreat. The Axis make 3 attacks this turn, scoring 2 retreats and 1 rout (division ofc). We launch 27 attacks, but are only 66% successful as we get a staggering 9 held this turn.
Losses are reported at;
Axis : 63.000 troops and 288 AFVs
USSR : 118.000 troops and 626 AFVs
A total of 164.000 report to the manpower pool this turn, ending it at 39.360, although I suspect some of these guys are from my airfields (see below under "units").

Units
8 TAC and 1 TRS is sent to the reserves this turn. Furthermore, as Q-Ball pointed out, I have alot of airfields doing nothing, so I disband 6 of them. What I want to see now is if they respawn as my airfield : airgroup ratio is now off again.
1 mechanized and 1 rifle corps is formed this turn, and we order the creation of 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade.
Our forces grows by 50.000 troops this turn.

HQ Zhukov
Once more I am overly confident with these guys, and once more a stack is forced to retreat, losing us quite a few AFVs.

Units destroyed
The 703rd Sp Infantry gun company is destroyed this turn.

Partisans
6 sabotague actions are undertaken by the 28 units that are still active after the Axis force 10 units to retreat. We reward our guys with 14 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 523
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 2:00:07 PM   
terje439

Turn 146

Overall
Alot of fighting all along the line, and the Axis make 5 attacks this turn, scoring 2 held, 2 retreat and 1 rout. We on the other hand make no less than 30 attacks, gaining 5 held and 25 retreats. What seems to be the trend right now, is that more and more Axis troops are relocated to the area oppsite HQ Zhukov to try to halt our advances there. This is not working, but what it does create, is more chances for us to attack all along the line. I need some more turns with decent weather. If I get that, I have a feeling that the entire dam might collapse soon. Losses are very high this turn;
Axis : 97.000 troops and 493 AFVs
USSR : 144.000 troops and 872 AFVs
A total of 162.000 workers report to the manpower pool this turn, ending it at 37.189.

Units
8 TACs are sent to the reserves this turn, and we chose to disband 6 more airfields this turn. We then form 2 rifle corps, and order the creation of 2 rifle divisions, 1 rifle brigade and 3 mechanized brigades. As a bonus, Stalin has decided to allow the Poles to fight alongside our forces, and this turn we recieve 1 Polish HQ, 4 Polish rifle divisions, 1 Polish tank brigade, 1 Polish heavy tank regiment, 1 Polish light SU regiment, 2 Polish army gun artillery brigades, 1 Polish AT artillery brigade, 1 Polish mortar regiment, 4 Polish AA regiments, 1 Polish AA battalion, 1 Polish sapper batalion and 1 Po,lish assault Engineer-sapper brigade.
Our forces manage to grow by 55.000 troops this turn despite the heavy losses. The high AFV loss this turn forced us to take a look at our AFV pools (see below). I am also guessing that our ability to record a net growth this turn is due to the 6 airfields that were disbanded last turn.

Partisans
We are left with 28 units on the map after 10 anti-partisans attacks by the Axis. These guys then performed 8 acts of sabotague and was rewarded by 6 supply drops this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 524
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 4:52:02 PM   
juret

493 afv losses for axis is amazing. can u check whut types he loosing now?

hes entire tank production is like 60-70 panthers 40-50 pz 3/4 and 8 tigers per turn.

your tank pools grow couse i think your divisions replace losses with old t-34s atm , (81 of your 107 tank units still use t-34/42 wich is very good couse your pool is sick )

u make 54 heawy tanks per turn now. make a few more SU for heawy tanks and add to your guard mec corps :)

< Message edited by juret -- 1/7/2012 4:55:34 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 525
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 8:20:48 PM   
terje439

Turn 147

Overall
This thime it is the Axis that are grateful for the arrival of mud. As a consequence we are only able to launch 5 attacks this turn, we do however manage a 100% success ratio, as all 5 are retreats. What is annoying, is that now the Axis will have a line of level 3 forts again..Losses are...hmm well low for the Axis and high for me;
Axis : 38.000 troops and 64 AFVs
USSR : 82.000 troops and 92 AFVs
180.000 reporting for the manpower pool is more than we have seen in a long time, nevertheless it ends at a whopping 15 this turn.

Units
Another 10 TACs are sent to the reserves. These guys are really really starting to annoy me. Don't they know there is a war going on?
Since I got a new airfield this turn, I see no point in disbanding any more as they will just reappear. We form 3 rifle corps this turn, then we order the construction of 3 mechanized corps. The remaining 21 points are spent on SUs.
Our forces grew by 103.000 troops this turn, come solid ground we should be well above the 7.000.000 mark again.

Partisans
We have 31 active units at the end of the turn, this is after the Axis force 10 to retreat. This time our partisans actually manage 19 sabotague actions, the supply drops remain low though at 8.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 526
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 9:20:36 PM   
terje439

Turn 148 aka turn of disappointment

Overall
More mud as expected, we did however manage a total of 7 attacks this turn for the result of 6 retreat and 1 rout (Rumanian Inf Div). Losses are nothing special;
Axis : 42.000 soldiers and 69 AFVs
USSR : 80.000 troops and 133 AFVs
A total of 168.000 report to the manpower pool, ending it at 192.

Units
3 TACs are sent to the reserves this turn...
We form 2 rifle corps and 1 mechanized corps this turn, the rest of the points are spent on assigning SUs.
Our forces grows by 77.000 troops this turn, and we are back above the 7.000.000 mark again.

Units destroyed
We destroyed the German 6/42nd SP Flak Company this turn.

OOB
We compare the OOB with the last entry. It is a huge disappointment (see below)!!

Partisans
After 11 attacks by the Axis, we are left with 28 active units this turn. With a mere 3 supply drops being made, I guess I cannot be too disappointed by 7 sabotague missions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 527
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 9:24:46 PM   
Baelfiin

you might be seeing some of the panzars showing up as reinforcements in those tank strengths.

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 528
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 10:18:46 PM   
randallw

There's something important to consider: the T-34/76 is superior in the period when it was first deployed, but the T-34/85 is a modest upgrade, and inferior to the Panther ( built from scratch ).  Even with good experience units the T-34 losses will be significant.

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 529
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 11:24:15 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

you might be seeing some of the panzars showing up as reinforcements in those tank strengths.

True, however in the past 5 turns the Axis has lost 1200 AFVs, to see a net loss in his OOB of a mere 3 AFVs hurts...

Terje

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 530
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/7/2012 11:27:03 PM   
terje439

quote:

There's something important to consider: the T-34/76 is superior in the period when it was first deployed, but the T-34/85 is a modest upgrade, and inferior to the Panther ( built from scratch ).  Even with good experience units the T-34 losses will be significant.

True, but I am actually not that afraid of his Panthers, those I kill easily enough, his Tigers however...

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 531
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/8/2012 5:38:11 AM   
terje439

Turn 149

apologies
Found nothing exciting to take a screenshot of this turn.

Overall
Still mud. We only make 5 attacks this turn, scoring 4 retreat and 1 held. Losses are light;
Axis : 34.000 troops and 43 AFVs
USSR : 76.000 troops and 116 AFVs

Units
We form one mech corps and order the creation of 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade. We also spend some points on SUs this turn.
Our forces grew by 82.000 this turn.

Partisans
The Axis make 6 anti-partisan attacks this turn, leaving us with 32 active units. 15 sabotague missions are completed this turn, and 7 supply drops are made.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 532
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/8/2012 4:36:10 PM   
terje439

Turn 150

Overall
Still mud. We make 7 attacks and score 2 held and 5 retreats this turn. Apart from that nothing really happens. Losses are reported as;
Axis : 37.000 troops and 72 AFVs
USSR : 78.000 troops and 123 AFVs
With a mere 155.000 reporting to the manpower pool this turn, it ends at 1.120.
Just to have something to look at, we take a look at dead generals this turn. There are a few guys there that will be missed (try to spot them )

Units
1 TAC is sent to the reserves.
We order the construction of 4 rifle divisions, 2 rifle brigades and 3 mechanized brigades this turn.
Our forces record a growth of 80.000 troops this turn.

Partisans
30 units are left after the Axis launch 12 anti-partisan attacks this turn. Our guys manage 11 acts of sabotague and are rewarded with 4 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 533
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/8/2012 6:45:13 PM   
randallw

Heh, most of the execution victims are no significant loss.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 534
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/8/2012 9:51:58 PM   
terje439

quote:

Heh, most of the execution victims are no significant loss.

Hehe that is true. The loss of Konev to Axis fire though is something I could have done without...

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 535
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/8/2012 9:57:04 PM   
terje439

Turn 151

Apologies
Forgot to take a scrrenshot, although I have no idea what that should have been anyway.

Overall
Mud mud mud. Had I shown the battle report you might have thought I had tried something stupid, as it shows 16 held and 6 retreats this turn. However, all held results are from artillery duels which were undertaken just to increase Axis losses.
In the end losses are still light however;
Axis : 38.000 troops and 66 AFVs
USSR : 82.000 troops and 114 AFVs.
The manpower pool only recieved 153.000 workers this turn, ending at 6.

Units
2 TACs were sent away for some rest this turn, and we formed 2 rifle corps before ordering the creation of 3 mortar brigades.
Our total strength grew by 72.000 troops this turn.

Partisans
The Axis chased away 12 of our untis this turn, leaving us with 26 on the map. These guys then managed 12 sabotague actions and were rewarded with 9 supply drops.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 536
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/8/2012 11:02:55 PM   
terje439

Turn 152

Overall
Finally clear wether. But as feared, the Axis are now well dug in, and I will now consider it a victory for the Red Army if we reach the Polish border. We launch no less than 32 attacks this turn, sadly we get 15 held and 17 retreats. As a result losses are very high for us this turn;
Axis : 65.000 troops and 206 AFVs
USSR : 140.000 troops and 629 AFVs
Our manpower continue to drop, this turn we recieve 151.000 workers, ending the pool at 17.866.

Units
2 TACs and 1 RC are sent to the reserves this turn.
We form 2 rifle corps and 1 mechanized corps this turn, but we also order the construction of 2 rifle divisions, 1 rifle brigade and 3 mechanized brigades.
Our forces managed to grow by 16.000 troops this turn despite severe losses.

Partisans
We are left with 25 active units after the Axis chase away 9. Our guys performed 9 sabotague missions this turn and was sent 8 supply drops to let them keep up their work.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 537
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/9/2012 1:13:27 AM   
randallw

Now this is where some testers would be recommending you build artillery divisions.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 538
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/9/2012 1:15:39 AM   
Flaviusx

You need artillery divisions. I hardly see any. (Nobody builds them. It's not just you.)

30+ of the suckers. Concentrate them on portions of the fort line. 3 or more per attack. I've been known to use as many as 6 artillery divisions on a single attack against a well dug in enemy. Would be willing to use even more than that if possible.

Truthfully, I think you're just going to run out of time here. The Axis is in pretty good shape and very deep in the Soviet Union. 1943 was a wasted year by and large. You only just started turning it around at the end. You're probably 12 months behind schedule here if not more.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 539
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/9/2012 2:11:00 AM   
Baelfiin

I have noticed that artillery really makes a differance, attacking at a little less than 1:1 CV but with 2 rocket brigades, rocket div and an artillery division I am having success moving german piles.

I think that if you bring enough guns to the party, it won't matter how many sandbags they are hiding behind.

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 540
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI