Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 4:22:46 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

1. You are 3 turns out of synch - you state "Turn 131" but the screen shot shows Turn: 134. This has been the case for some turns.

2. Also, "181.000 workers report to the manpower pool,(...)" - is this from the event log? The Manpower multiplier for '43 should be 40 and I doubt that you have 4500 Manpower Cities/Towns.

3. What have you done with the impressive concentration of Mech Corps in the north? First I thought that that is not terrain suitable for mech units, but then I realized that the Axis player also would think so - have you managed any advances up there after Vologda?

1. Yes, I noted that myself this turn, probably messed up my AAR somewhere.

2. That is from the event log, and is all the manpower going into the manpower pool, returned, from centres etc.

3. I am about to send them south again, not due to the terrain, but due to the fact that I ran into an Axis line in the forrest that is somewhat well dug in. I just need to rest the front taking over a few turns before marching them up there. The units that will take over the front are more or less ready, but a few turns to repair some damage and fatigue is probably a good thing.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 481
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 4:31:50 PM   
terje439

Turn 135

Overall
Another blow-for-blow turn. The Axis remain modest and only make 3 attacks for 1 held and 2 retreats, while we launch 25 attacks scoring 7 held and 18 retreats. The situation is somewhat frustrating as I can push the enemy units back, but I cannot occupy the hex, something I hope will change when HQ Zhukov is freed again.
The losses are reported as;
Axis : 65.000 troops, 268 AFVs (PzIIIm 33, PzIVg 29, PzIVh 23, Panther (A and D) 40)
USSR : 115.000 troops, 506 AFVs (319 T-34 M1942)

Units
Another 10 aerial units are sent away to rest, again the TACs are overrepresented with 9 units, the last is a transport unit.
I form 1 rifle corps this turn, before spending precious points on reassigning 4 units. The remaining points are spent on SUs.
A net army growth of 54.000 troops is recorded this turn.

State of units
It seems my units are getting tired, and I do not really have alot to alternate with. Will have to find a solution somehow.

Partisans
The Axis push back 5 of our partisan units, leaving 26 on the board. These guys then manage 16 acts of sabotague. Due to long range and few available transports at the moment, we only launch 9 supply drops this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 482
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 4:50:22 PM   
terje439

After 20 mins I want to make a request;
Next time I go out of sync with the screenshots, please do not wait 80 turns to say so

Terje

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/1/2012 4:54:10 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 483
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/1/2012 9:19:21 PM   
randallw

You have a rifle corps under the command of an airborne corps HQ; that's interesting.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 484
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/2/2012 3:20:15 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

You have a rifle corps under the command of an airborne corps HQ; that's interesting.

Indeed, one of the things I need to change, but if the choice is having them placed there or out of range to their HQ I thought this a better choice?

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 485
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/2/2012 3:31:40 AM   
terje439

Turn 136

Overall
The Axis are falling back in alot of places, only major rivers and areas where I have made few attacks (hence still having level 3 Axis forts) are held. I keep following and attack where I can. The Axis launch two attacks this turn and score 2 retreats, while we launch 21 attacks for 1 held, 19 retreats and 1 surrender.
Losses are reported as;
Axis : 65.000 soldiers, 283 AFVs
USSR : 101.000 soldiers, 320 AFVs
Our forces have now destroyed 1/4th of all the Panther D's and 1/13th of all Panther A's that was ever produced in real life.
With 176.000 workers arriving at the manpower pool this turn, it ends at 902.

Units
Another 16 aerial units are sent to the reserves, again the TACs make up most of this number with 14, the other two being 1 LB and 1 FB. Is the low morale with TACs something everyone else is seing as well, or am I using them incorrectly?
We form one rifle corps this turn, then order the construction of 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade. The rest of the points are spent on sending SUs to various corps.
Our forces grows by 73.000 troops this turn.

Units destroyed
The German 59th Fortified Zone is destroyed this turn. This one was left alone as the other units fell back, not sure why it was left to be destroyed.

Liberation
Boguhar is liberated this turn.

HQ Zhukov
The units are slowly pulling back from the front. I want to replace them, and not leave the front open, so this will take a few turns.

Partisans
We are left with 27 active units after the Axis force 12 units to retreat. Our valiant resistance fighters perform 12 acts of sabotague this turn, sadly we are only able to reward them with 6 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 486
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/2/2012 9:44:11 PM   
terje439

Turn 137

Overall
The Axis make no attacks at all, and fall back even more in the south. This is slowing me down considerably as I now have to move into the enemy ZoC and then try to make some attacks. I need to thin his lines somehow. We launch 21 attacks, sadly enough 4 of these are helds, the rest are all retreats (although we do rout 4 units (Rumanians and Hungarians)).
Losses are reported at;
Axis : 51.000 troops and 265 AFVs
USSR : 95.000 troops and 276 AFVs
A total of 186.000 workers arrive at the manpower pool this turn, ending it at 2.803

Units
This turn only one airgroup is sent to the reserves, this time it is a TRS.
Stalin decides that there are not enough colours on his map, so he gives us another front, the 2nd belorussian. To have something available for this front, we order the construction of 2 tank HQ, 1 combined arms HQ, 6 rifle divisions and 3 rifle brigades. We also reshuffle 4 units between allready existing HQs. The rest of our points are saved.
Our forces grows by 74.000 this turn.

HQ Zhukov
Most of the units are now on the rail line, the last ones should reach it next turn. It will take some effort to rail them all south, but it needs to be done.

Partisans
After 9 anti-partisan attacks by the Axis, we are left with 32 units. These guys then step it up this turn and make 24 acts of sabotague, sadly we are only able to make 7 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 487
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/2/2012 9:54:02 PM   
Baelfiin

Just kill germans at some point they are going to fall apart. If you can do it with pockets and surrenders, even better.

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 488
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 3:42:13 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

Just kill germans at some point they are going to fall apart. If you can do it with pockets and surrenders, even better.

What I find troubling is that when I just fight at the line, I lack the MP to advance, so that is why I think I should try to either pocket enemy units or make a proper breakthrough?

Terje

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 489
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 3:49:17 PM   
terje439

Turn 138

Overall
Much the same as the last few turns, alot of fighting all along the line, but I am only able to push the enemy back, I do not have the MP to follow up with an advance. This turn that is mainly due to resting a few stacks as they have high fatigue levels. One of my stacks got overly cinfident last turn and advanced more than they should, allowing the Axis to attack them with 4 stacks at once. The Axis make only that one attack, scoring a retreat while we launch 19 attacks for 4 held and 15 retreats. Losses are given at;
Axis : 56.000 soliders and 199 AFVs
USSR : 100.000 soldiers and 194 AFVs
We gain alot more guard untis every turn now, we are becoming the Red Army after all.

Units
2 TACs are sent to the reserve. These guys really do not want to fly it seem...
We form 1 guard rifle corps and 1 rifle corps, and order the creation of 2 rifle divisions, 1 rifle brigade and 3 mortar brigades. The remaining 14 pts are spent on handing out SUs to various corps.
Our forces grows by 75.000 troops this turn.

HQ Zhukov
Two of three sub-HQs with their units have arrived in the south, the last HQ will do so next turn.

Partisans
33 units are active after the Axis chase 15 away this turn. These guys then manage 13 sabotague missions. Sadly they only recieve 2 supply drops this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 490
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 4:07:44 PM   
Seminole

2 out of 3 as Guards is enough to give the Corps Guards status.
I usually join 2 Guards Div with a regular brigade to get the brigades off the map.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 491
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 4:10:34 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole

1. 2 out of 3 as Guards is enough to give the Corps Guards status.
2. I usually join 2 Guards Div with a regular brigade to get the brigades off the map.

1. Thank you, as I suspected.
2. Yup, that is what I do as well, although nowadays I need to create the brigade, it is still more cost efficient for me (and the way I play the game) than using 3 divisions.

Terje

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 492
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 4:31:46 PM   
Peltonx

Could you post an OOB and a the losses page so we can look at trends in the data.

I would like to see how fast German numbers are going down and how fast yours are going up.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 493
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 5:03:49 PM   
terje439

Sure, gimme a sec

Terje

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 494
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 5:06:16 PM   
terje439

OOB at the start of Turn 138

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 495
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 5:06:46 PM   
terje439

Losses at start of turn 138

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 496
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/3/2012 9:57:35 PM   
terje439

Turn 139

Overall
More of the same, we keep slugging away at eachother. Due to my own stupidity, the Axis gets a chance to rout some of my units, and do so with their one attack this round. We make a total of 22 attacks for 3 held and 19 retreats, which means that once more losses are rather high on both sides;
Axis : 63.000 troops and 263 AFVs (Both Panther A and Panther D total losses are now over 200)
USSR : 109.000 troops and 372 AFVs. Those held results are a pain in terms of losses for my forces.
175.000 workers in total report to the manpower pool, which result in it ending at 2.361.

Units
Another 4 TACs are sent to the reserves for some rest.
We form 3 rifle corps and order the construction of 3 tank brigades this turn, and spend 9 points on SUs.
Our forces grew by 66.000 troops this turn.

HQ Zhukov
Still three units needs to be railed south, but the two HQs that are fully on the site start to advance, hopefully I will be able to dislodge the Germans from their level 3 forts now.

Partisans
13 attacks by the Axis leaves us with 28 units still active. With a mere 2 supply drops, I guess I cannot complain on 9 sabotague actions.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 497
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/4/2012 12:26:03 PM   
terje439

Turn 140

Overall
The Axis make no attacks this turn, and in some areas they take a step back. We launch 16 attacks and get 2 held and 14 retreats as results. Losses are somewhat lighter this turn as fewer attacks are made;
Axis : 47.000 troops and 114 AFVs
USSR : 86.000 troops and 419 AFVs.

Units
Another 5 TACs are moved to the reserves, but this turn we are able to move more than 20 aerial units back to the front.
We form 3 rifle corps, and order the construction of 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade.
Our forces grow by 84.000 soldiers this turn.

HQ Zhukov
Our mechanized corps are at last fighting again, however it seems the enemy spotted them last turn, as when we opened this turn, the Axis line in front of HQ Zhukov had taken a step back. Oh well, it should be better next turn....I hope.

Question
My T34 factories have now upgraded from model 1942 to model 1944, as a result, the model 1942 no longer shows up in the pools. So, are those 8.000+ 1942s "gone", or are they still there, it is just that the pool is not showing?

Partisans
We have 30 units still in play after 11 are forced to retreat this turn. While we did not manage any supply drops this turn, our partisans still made 13 sabotague missions this turn. Too bad they are all made in non-important areas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 498
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/4/2012 12:26:30 PM   
terje439

OOB at the end of turn 140

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 499
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/4/2012 6:03:28 PM   
randallw

Those T-34s should still exist; you probably have that screen set to show only equipment currently being produced.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 500
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/4/2012 7:55:54 PM   
juret

they still exist (t-34 1942) they will be used when u dont have enough of t-34 1944 as reinforcments. i think u must loose over 300 t-34 per turn to use up some of em after your tank corps upgraded the TOE.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 501
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/4/2012 11:10:51 PM   
terje439

Thank you both, that was what I hoped and believed :)

Terje

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 502
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/4/2012 11:16:37 PM   
terje439

Turn 141

Overall
The Axis once more make no attacks, we however might have been to eager as we score 8 held and 17 retreats. That is too many helds, but that is the punishment we take for relying on a 3:1 favour in unmodified CVs.
We do however manage to form a pocket, the Axis can break the pocket, but doing so will leave two more German divisions in danger of being trapped next turn. Will be exciting to see what the Axis do about this.
Due to too many held results, our losses are a bit too high for my liking, but what is done is done. Losses are reported as;
Axis : 53.000 troops and 171 AFVs
USSR : 102.000 troops and 562 AFVs
A total of 153.000 report to the manpower pool this turn ending it at 7.654.

Units
3 TACs are sent to the reserves this turn.
We order the formation of 1 tank corps, and the construction of 4 rifle divisions and 2 rifle brigades.
Our forces grows by 65.000 troops this turn.

HQ Zhukov
The units in this front is now really making their presence known to the Axis (see below).

Partisans
We end the turn with 28 active units after 12 are chased away by the Axis. 8 acts of sabotague are made, and this time we atleast manage 5 supply drops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 503
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 1:14:16 PM   
terje439

Turn 142

Overall
The Axis decide to sacrifice those two pocketed divisions, and are falling back all along the centre of the line. They deliberately leave some Rumanian and Hungarian divisions behind as speedbumps. Instead of pushing these guys back, I decide to encircle as many of them as possible. Once more the Axis make no attacks, while we make 17, scoring 2 held, 13 retreats and 2 surrender. Losses are given at;
Axis : 56.000 troops and 182 AFVs
USSR : 86.000 troops and 387 AFVs

Units
4 TACs are given a minor vacation this turn.
We form one guards rifle corps and one normal rifle corps this turn, and order the construction of 2 rifle divisions and 1 rifle brigade. Stalin grants us a new HQ and a new NKPS unit this turn.
Our forces grows by 83.000 troops.

Pools
Vehicle : 147.000
Armaments : 988.000
Manpower : 1.249

Liberation
The city of Ryazan is liberated by our victorious forces this turn.

Units destroyed
The German 376 Infantry Division, the German 82nd Infantry Division and the German 70th Fortified Zone are all captured this turn.

HQ Zhukov
The mechanized units continue their advance, threathening to once more cut off two German divisions, although the pocket is not closed, it forces the Axis to either retreat or heavily reinforce the area.

Partisans
Although the Axis chase away 11 units, we are still left with 29 on the board at the end of the turn. 15 sabotague missions are undertaken, and finally the ammount of supply drops are going back up, with a total of 17 being made this turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 504
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 5:34:42 PM   
Q-Ball

Good choice on those Axis Allies. Even though they are "only" Romanians and Hungarians, the Axis needs every Rifle it can put in the line. That was a real bad decision on his part; it will cost you a turn's pause to surround and destroy those 5 divisions, but it's worth it.

Not sure if your opponent is aware that Axis Allies do not "re-spawn". Only Germans do. Those units are gone forever.

Not sure why he didn't crack the pocket open to those 2 divisions either. At a minimum, that would delay you, as you would likely pause to destroy rather than advance.

If he keeps making these decisions, you will close ground quickly.....

PS: What is that huge cluster of airbases around Saratov? Any reason they are just sitting there?

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 1/5/2012 5:35:53 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 505
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 6:41:56 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Good choice on those Axis Allies. Even though they are "only" Romanians and Hungarians, the Axis needs every Rifle it can put in the line. That was a real bad decision on his part; it will cost you a turn's pause to surround and destroy those 5 divisions, but it's worth it.

Not sure if your opponent is aware that Axis Allies do not "re-spawn". Only Germans do. Those units are gone forever.

Not sure why he didn't crack the pocket open to those 2 divisions either. At a minimum, that would delay you, as you would likely pause to destroy rather than advance.

If he keeps making these decisions, you will close ground quickly.....

PS: What is that huge cluster of airbases around Saratov? Any reason they are just sitting there?

Well if he had tried to save those two German units he would be in alot of trouble after this turn as he simply did not have the forces in the area to stop me from re-encircling those two divisions, but also encircle his two other German divisions, so that I think was the correct choice on his part.
Yes, I was surprised to see those divisions left. True, they do slow me down one turn (one of them is allready surrounded), but as you say, he needs those units to stop my advance. It might be that he is hoping level 2 forts will be enough for him to re-establish a line as his units seem to increase fort levels by 1 every turn up to level 3.

After I shifted Zhukov down to the centre, the ground gained here has increased from 1 hex every 2 turns to 2 hexes every turn, so I think I will be able to turn his Don-line quite soon. If that happens, he will have a hard time stopping me anywhere south of Moscow unless he has some trick up his sleeve.

Those airfields are simply not in use. I find my the areas behind my front more than congested enough, and with me constantly sending airgroups back to the reserves I simply do not see any need for them, I have better use for the "spare" hexes for my arty/"follow-up stacks".

Terje

< Message edited by terje439 -- 1/5/2012 6:43:26 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 506
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 6:46:04 PM   
Flaviusx

One minor drawback with respect to killing Romanian units: they won't flip over to your control when you force a surrender. But I'd still go for them.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 507
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 6:50:32 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

One minor drawback with respect to killing Romanian units: they won't flip over to your control when you force a surrender. But I'd still go for them.

Good point, yet at this time I think thinning out the Axis line is/should be my #1 priority to increase my pace westwards, but when I get closer this is definitively something I will keep in mind!

Terje

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 508
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 7:03:38 PM   
randallw

The real trick with the Romanians is how to get a good supply trace to them once the country turns.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 509
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 1/5/2012 10:28:27 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

The real trick with the Romanians is how to get a good supply trace to them once the country turns.

Well since my advance so far is so slow, my HQ attached RR engineers are repairing the rail lines just fine, so if the dam bursts I should be able to use all of my NKPS should be available to work on the rail lines down south, but can I not trace across the sea?

Terje

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI