Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 6:28:34 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

1 of 3, the Far North:

Here's what I would do....

Rail the 6-3 out of Leningrad to Pskov. You need to make a hole for a Militia reinforcement arriving next turn. The Finns can't attack 7 points in a swamp with engineer defense. For example, there would be a -4 on the die roll for the city, engineer, and factories. Move the unit in Novgorod NE. The Finns can start moving around to the east and then south between the lakes. A single unit in their way should be enough to stop them. You are going to want to bring in at least 3 reinforcements in this area. If Pskov has 2 units in it, they would arrive in Leningrad (1) and Novgorod (2).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1501
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 6:34:15 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

1 of 3, the Far North:

Rail the 6-3 out of Leningrad to Pskov. You need to make a hole for a Militia reinforcement arriving next turn. The Finns can't attack 7 points in a swamp with engineer defense. For example, there would be a -4 on the die roll for the city, engineer, and factories. Move the unit in Novgorod NE. The Finns can start moving around to the east and then south between the lakes. A single unit in their way should be enough to stop them. You are going to want to bring in at least 3 reinforcements in this area. If Pskov has 2 units in it, they would arrive in Leningrad (1) and Novgorod (2).

I can rail the 6-1 GARR, but not the INF. That was a reserve unit that came in when the war began. It's disorganized.

-4 on the die roll? I'm using the 1D10 charts, so does that figure correctly? I'll have to check.

Another question is if I'm going to have the right MIL units available to reinforce the right cities. I'll have to check who is in the Force Pool.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 1502
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 6:52:14 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

2 of 3, the North:

I agree with you that the 3-5 Cav should be sacrificed on the Dvina. While the defense of Smolensk is shaping up nicely, there is nothing between Vitebsk and Pskov. By sacrificing the Cav, the Germans will be stopped on the Dvina for at least the next impulse. And who knows, the turn may end with them not having reached Pskov. Otherwise a snow impulse will let the move freely across the Dvina.

The garrison in Riga can not rail out, so it just sits there.

Some of the moves you showed here are not possible in the rain (in general it halves movement factors).

You do not have to run away from the Germans if you can put 11+ point in a hex and the Germans can only attack from 1-2 hexsides. This is especially true since 4 of their best front line units are disorganized. I would move the 2nd Inf two hexes NE, move both the 39 Inf and the 2nd Mech due west 2 hexes, move the 3rd Siberian NW 2 hexes and move the Art east 1 hex. I don't like having Yeremenko in the frontline but I dislike having him alone in a hex even more. You could do something clever like rail Yeremenko to one of the rail hexes SE of Vitebsk (HQ's are their own rail station), but those are clear hexes and a ground strike on him in the clear would be unpleasant. If you do decide to do that, move the 4th Siberian to the hex due west of Vitebsk. This should give you a frontline of 12 attackable from 2 hexes, 12 attackable from 2 hexes, and 10 attackable from 2 hexes (or 1 hex if the weather isn't snow. The best the Germans can put in 1 hex is 15 and in 2 hexes 28. Given bad weather those will be pretty poor odds. Oh, you could rail move the Art farther back if you want to, say to Smolensk. Notice that the ZOC frontline for the USSR would deny the Germans the ability to cross the Dvina. My rough count of this screen shot has the Germans with less than a 2:1 factor advantage at the moment. Things will get better when the reinforcements arrive for the USSR in the frontline and way back in Eastern Prussia for the Germans.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1503
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 6:55:24 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

1 of 3, the Far North:

I can rail the 6-1 GARR, but not the INF. That was a reserve unit that came in when the war began. It's disorganized.

-4 on the die roll? I'm using the 1D10 charts, so does that figure correctly? I'll have to check.

Another question is if I'm going to have the right MIL units available to reinforce the right cities. I'll have to check who is in the Force Pool.

Sorry, I missed that the 6-3 was disorganized. So yes, the 6-1 gets to visit Pskov in February.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1504
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 6:59:39 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Some of the moves you showed here are not possible in the rain (in general it halves movement factors).

I'm using the rail movement optional rules, so I'm pretty certain every move I listed is possible.
-----
Edit: This doesn't mean I don't like your plans. I just want to make sure you're aware that the rails can help.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/23/2012 7:01:48 PM >

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1505
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 7:06:39 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

So far, in the Ukraine, this is all I can think of to do, with the blue arrow the best option because it keeps the unit in supply even though it's going to have to get disorganized.

I like your move of the 6-3 to the hex east of Krivoy Rog. That gives you a contiguous ZOC frontline. If the weather changes and it is Fine, then he could be overrun, But No!, then he would be back in supply. If the weather stays rainy, then he might even live to wash his blood stained uniform in the Dnieper.

Get the 6th Inf across the Dnieper now. having a river between you and the Germans is really important if you were born into this world as a 4-3.

Again, you are assuming units can move farther than they actually can.

It is more difficult to reinforce the southern line of the Dnieper than the north. That's because the reinforcements will come in Stalino, Kursk, and Kharkov. Many of those militia units only have 2 MPs (short legs). You want the more mobile units in the center - that will let you redeploy them to where they are needed.

I am torn between placing 2 units in a hex to make the hex strong, and placing only 1 unit in a hex to dissipate the effect of ground strikes (at the start of the next turn).

I agree that Timoshenko should not be in the front line, drag his sorry ass east. Once on a rail line he will have more mobility (i.e., he can rail move).

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1506
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 7:11:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

I'm using the rail movement optional rules, so I'm pretty certain every move I listed is possible.
-----
Edit: This doesn't mean I don't like your plans. I just want to make sure you're aware that the rails can help.

Oh.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1507
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 7:34:02 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

So far, in the Ukraine, this is all I can think of to do, with the blue arrow the best option because it keeps the unit in supply even though it's going to have to get disorganized.

I like your move of the 6-3 to the hex east of Krivoy Rog. That gives you a contiguous ZOC frontline. If the weather changes and it is Fine, then he could be overrun, But No!, then he would be back in supply. If the weather stays rainy, then he might even live to wash his blood stained uniform in the Dnieper.

Get the 6th Inf across the Dnieper now. having a river between you and the Germans is really important if you were born into this world as a 4-3.

Again, you are assuming units can move farther than they actually can.

It is more difficult to reinforce the southern line of the Dnieper than the north. That's because the reinforcements will come in Stalino, Kursk, and Kharkov. Many of those militia units only have 2 MPs (short legs). You want the more mobile units in the center - that will let you redeploy them to where they are needed.

I am torn between placing 2 units in a hex to make the hex strong, and placing only 1 unit in a hex to dissipate the effect of ground strikes (at the start of the next turn).

I agree that Timoshenko should not be in the front line, drag his sorry ass east. Once on a rail line he will have more mobility (i.e., he can rail move).

The purpose behind the move of the MOT Division and the INF Division is to make sure that ART type units have a regular unit stacked with them at all times. Just mentioning this because I don't think I was clear about it when I first posted this.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1508
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 8:17:44 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

The defense of the Dnieper is convex. What this means is that moving units from one place on the line to another takes more movement points than it would if they were in a straight line. Units with only 3 movement points can only move to adjacent hexes. When the German attacks come, USSR units get disorganized by ground strikes or because they were attacked and survived disorganized. Repairing the frontline so it is optimal becomes very difficult. Placement of which units go where has to take into consideration the movement points of the diverse units thrown together as a defensive force.

In Persia, I would maintain as forward a position as possible - provided it is absolutely safe from attack (i.e., even if the Axis gets to move 2 impulses in a row). If there is any danger at all, then fall back to the best defensive position available. Putting units in the far eastern hexes of the line can probably be delayed for a while.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/23/2012 8:18:44 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1509
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 8:41:18 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

The defense of the Dnieper is convex. What this means is that moving units from one place on the line to another takes more movement points than it would if they were in a straight line. Units with only 3 movement points can only move to adjacent hexes. When the German attacks come, USSR units get disorganized by ground strikes or because they were attacked and survived disorganized. Repairing the frontline so it is optimal becomes very difficult. Placement of which units go where has to take into consideration the movement points of the diverse units thrown together as a defensive force.

In Persia, I would maintain as forward a position as possible - provided it is absolutely safe from attack (i.e., even if the Axis gets to move 2 impulses in a row). If there is any danger at all, then fall back to the best defensive position available. Putting units in the far eastern hexes of the line can probably be delayed for a while.

I'll have to double-check the movement rates of the units on the Dnieper. I might be able to do what I'm trying to do (covering the ART units) with improved mobility by moving units other than the ones I showed here.

When I get to that point in the impulse, I'll post what I think I've got right and see if anyone agrees. At that point it'll probably be bedtime for me anyway.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1510
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 9:02:32 PM   
Red Prince

With no Luftwaffe in the area able to scramble, the CW tried again to take out the factory in Lille . . . and ended up bombing a grain silo instead. Hard to tell the difference when the rain is coming down like it is, I guess.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1511
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 10:34:56 PM   
Red Prince

The following several posts of Soviet moves can all be "fixed" if needed. I am going to save it before completing the Land Movement Phase and get some sleep before moving on. Any unit with a light grey or white status indicator at the top left can have its move undone.
-----
Since Zhukov isn't going to be in danger for 2-3 more impulses, I decided to move him forward. Next impulse he can swap with the 7-3 INF. Persia looks like it's shaping up well enough for the limited forces available.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1512
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 10:35:06 PM   
Red Prince

In moving out of Novgorod, I decided it was best to move only 2 of the 3 hexes the INF could travel. This does two things for him: it keeps him in supply for his next move, regardless of what the weather is like, and it prevents a move across the frozen lakes into the hex he's in now (if it snows). Finland isn't going to want to risk leaving a unit out on open water with Spring and Summer coming up.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1513
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 10:35:15 PM   
Red Prince

I altered my plan slightly for the Ukraine. I still managed to cover both the ART and the AA with a Division each, which means they don't have to fight with only 1 factor if attacked. I also moved the 2 MECH to more central locations, so that they might be able to reach any holes that need to be filled. There are still 3 hexes that need units in order to cover every hex on the East side of the river, plus Dnepropetrovsk will need to be reinforced, but hopefully the turn will end before the Germans can advance that far. Oh, and HQ-I Timoshenko is now on the rail line, so he can "advance toward the rear" as soon as it seems wise.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1514
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 10:35:20 PM   
Red Prince

It's not quite what I planned, and it's not quite what Steve suggested, but this is what I've come up with for the Dvina defense for this impulse.

The main reason I had to change things around is that the MECH couldn't move to the forest hex Steve suggested (where the 2nd Siberian and 39th INF are stacked with the FTR). Also, in order to move a few of these units without getting them disorganized, I had to put Yeremenko in that clear hex at the crossroads. This defense still makes the Dvina difficult to cross in the east, and protects against a Blitz-Brekathrough that could threaten Yeremenko. I suppose I could add either the 2nd Siberian or the 39th INF to the 2nd INF, but it's a clear hex with more than 2 hexsides to use for attacks (depending on the weather). Unless the die roll produces Fair weather in the Arctic (10% chance of that), Ground Strikes against either Yeremenko or the 2nd MECH are unlikely. Even if the attempt is made, everyone here has FTR coverage.

I think that this setup should limit Germany to a maximum of 3 attacks, if they are willing to risk low odds: Riga, the CAV, and the 2nd INF. That's only possible if it snows or the weather is Fine. More likely, Germany will be limited to 1 good attack on the CAV and maybe a solid attack on one of the other 2 units, probably Riga.

The reason that preventing a Breakthrough on the 2nd INF is so important, is that HQ-A Rommel will almost certainly use his reorgnization abilities after the next impulse. That means the 3 units between Minsk and Vilna are likely to be active again if Germany gets another impulse after that. This means most of the units need to be on the rail lines and unable to be ZOCed in such a way that they can't retreat to a better defensive position . . . mybe I should add the 2nd Siberian to the 2nd INF hex, after all.

Anyway, take a look at these 4 posts, let me know what you think, and I'll adjust things in the morning if I've set myself up for a huge mistake. Enjoy!
-----
Edit: Forgot to mention . . . I'll be using my 3 Air Missions to get the LND near Vitebsk into a safer location, and to finally get the 2 short ranged LND into the Baku/Persia theatre. At the moment, they are both sitting around between Stavrapol and Tiflis . . . completely useless there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/23/2012 10:43:05 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1515
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 10:53:03 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

In moving out of Novgorod, I decided it was best to move only 2 of the 3 hexes the INF could travel. This does two things for him: it keeps him in supply for his next move, regardless of what the weather is like, and it prevents a move across the frozen lakes into the hex he's in now (if it snows). Finland isn't going to want to risk leaving a unit out on open water with Spring and Summer coming up.

I don't think the 5-3 can move there without becoming disorganized.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1516
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 11:01:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

It's not quite what I planned, and it's not quite what Steve suggested, but this is what I've come up with for the Dvina defense for this impulse.

The main reason I had to change things around is that the MECH couldn't move to the forest hex Steve suggested (where the 2nd Siberian and 39th INF are stacked with the FTR). Also, in order to move a few of these units without getting them disorganized, I had to put Yeremenko in that clear hex at the crossroads. This defense still makes the Dvina difficult to cross in the east, and protects against a Blitz-Brekathrough that could threaten Yeremenko. I suppose I could add either the 2nd Siberian or the 39th INF to the 2nd INF, but it's a clear hex with more than 2 hexsides to use for attacks (depending on the weather). Unless the die roll produces Fair weather in the Arctic (10% chance of that), Ground Strikes against either Yeremenko or the 2nd MECH are unlikely. Even if the attempt is made, everyone here has FTR coverage.

I think that this setup should limit Germany to a maximum of 3 attacks, if they are willing to risk low odds: Riga, the CAV, and the 2nd INF. That's only possible if it snows or the weather is Fine. More likely, Germany will be limited to 1 good attack on the CAV and maybe a solid attack on one of the other 2 units, probably Riga.

The reason that preventing a Breakthrough on the 2nd INF is so important, is that HQ-A Rommel will almost certainly use his reorgnization abilities after the next impulse. That means the 3 units between Minsk and Vilna are likely to be active again if Germany gets another impulse after that. This means most of the units need to be on the rail lines and unable to be ZOCed in such a way that they can't retreat to a better defensive position . . . mybe I should add the 2nd Siberian to the 2nd INF hex, after all.

Anyway, take a look at these 4 posts, let me know what you think, and I'll adjust things in the morning if I've set myself up for a huge mistake. Enjoy!
-----
Edit: Forgot to mention . . . I'll be using my 3 Air Missions to get the LND near Vitebsk into a safer location, and to finally get the 2 short ranged LND into the Baku/Persia theatre. At the moment, they are both sitting around between Stavrapol and Tiflis . . . completely useless there.

The 5-4 shouldn't be alone in a clear hex. It is too easy to attack him there. If you can't get the motorized to where you want him, stack him with the HQ. Single units are easy pickings for the Germans. I would prefer the HQ to have a river hexside to his east. Then he can always retreat behind the river when the time comes.

Have you given any thought to how this line will form up next turn if the Germans kill the 4-1 and 3-5 and simply push up next to the USSR frontline?

You should expect Rommel to reorganize 3 of his best units for continuing the advance if the Germans get to move again.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/23/2012 11:04:41 PM >

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1517
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 11:07:36 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

I don't think the 5-3 can move there without becoming disorganized.

Trust me, it can. It's the rail movement bonus, which subtracts 1 MP after weather conditions are accounted for. So, the forest is doubled from 1 to 2, but subtract one for the rail. That means it has used 2 of 3 MP so far and can reach the X if it wanted to. I'm not so sure about the MOT travelling across the frozen lakes, but why take the risk?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1518
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 11:28:42 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

-----

The 5-4 shouldn't be alone in a clear hex. It is too easy to attack him there. If you can't get the motorized to where you want him, stack him with the HQ. Single units are easy pickings for the Germans. I would prefer the HQ to have a river hexside to his east. Then he can always retreat behind the river when the time comes.

Have you given any thought to how this line will form up next turn if the Germans kill the 4-1 and 3-5 and simply push up next to the USSR frontline?

You should expect Rommel to reorganize 3 of his best units for continuing the advance if the Germans get to move again.

The 5-4 is actually safer than you might think. The Germans can get a total of 36 factors against him in Fine weather or snow . . . but that would mean no attack on the CAV or Riga. The CAV is just too good an opportunity to pass up. It would also mean placing Rommel too far forward on that front. If you think I should, though, I'll move the Siberian into that hex with him.

If wishes were horses . . . HQ with a river hexside to the east. Would be nice. Wasn't possible. He's too slow, and he was needed where he is or he'd have more disorganized units on his hands. But don't worry. He'll get there soon.

Yeah, I've thought about how to build a defense next impulse if the Germans push up against this. The MECH will have only 1 hex it can be attacked from, and Ground Support should be able to make him tough to defeat while the enemy crosses a river. It probably won't even be needed. Both of the stacks topped by Siberians move into the forests, and the NW stck gets an ART added to it. That leaves Vitebsk a little short on factors, but it can get Ground Support if needed, and has the river line, too. I'd like to be able to place a sacrifice where the MECH is now, but I don't have one available -- unless Yeremenko stays where he is and reorganizes the 2 units in Vitebsk and the 5-4 INF . . . but I don't like that idea. I'd like to send him to Smolensk, but weather considerations dictate that he probably will be needed to the SE for supply.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1519
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 11:37:10 PM   
Red Prince

If you really mean next turn and not next impulse, here's what's coming in. Where these fellas go depends on which MIL units get picked in the draw. The Ukraine could really use that ARM, while the 2 white print units would be nice in the Novgorod region. That doesn't leave much to work with . . . only 3 of the 13 MIL units in the Force Pool would show up in truly useful locations. The rest are going to need rail moves to get them into position.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1520
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/23/2012 11:46:14 PM   
Red Prince

Time for me to quit for the night, I think. One more note about the post #1519 . . . this retreat plan is why it is important to have the MECH where he is in the clear rather than stacked with the HQ. If Germany does manage a breakthrough into that hex, the units to west of Vitebsk won't be able to get where they're going.

Of course, this assumes my plans for the next defensive line are somewhat sound.

Good night, all, and enjoy debating my foibles.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1521
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 2:22:27 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Suddenly, the Soviet units available in the Force Pool seem to have multiplied with those pesky MIL.

You will be building mostly Mil, with maybe an Inf if the BPs turn out to be an odd number. I thought some of the Mil had free setup locations, but they all have designated cities. Even so, it is better to have them arrive immediately and get railed to the front than to have an Inf arrive a turn later in the frontline.

The ATRs are going to be busy reorganizing units - not doing ground strikes. That Astrakhan Mil (if selected) might be able to walk to the Persian border.

That second turn of summer is going to be very hard on the Russians, with so few reinforcements arriving - it always is. Throwing Mil into the path of the German onslaught is a standard practice, since they can reappear again the next turn.

Attachment (1)

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1522
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 7:58:38 AM   
Red Prince

I'm also wondering if it is now time to scrap those destroyed 3-3 INF. They were fine for building at the start of the game to garrison the border, but the Soviets are going to find themselves a little short on BP very soon. Once the MIL are built out and with so many INF returning to the Force Pools, it seems like a waste of 3 BP to bring a 3-3 INF back to life in the current desparate situation.
-----
Edit: Despite the bug that prevents me from actually sending BP from one nation to another overseas, I might be able to find a way to work around this. I haven't done it for the French because there just aren't enough convoys available to justify sending those BP. But, once the USA enters the war, there will be convoys to spare for BP and resource shipments. With summer coming up, Archangel will not be iced in for at least 2 straight turns -- crucial ones for the Soviets, and if I can get 25 convoy points stretching from the East Coast to the Arctic Ocean, that means I can send 5 BP each turn to Moscow . . . as long as the rail lines hold. I can't send any through Murmansk until that rail line is re-opened, because BP lent must go to the capital (as I understand it).

Anyway, the point is, that if the USA enters the war this turn, I can figure out a way to make this happen -- as long as the convoy routes are in place.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/24/2012 8:07:58 AM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1523
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 8:33:48 AM   
Red Prince

Awake again, and with my mind fresh as can be in the morning, I considered the situation carefully. I looked at it again, and decided that Steve was right about the 5-4 being left alone, but that the solution I proposed was the wrong one. Instead of reinforcing it from the hex to the East, I should use one of the units that moved into the forest hex North of the Dvina. That leaves only 5 factors in that hex, but they are white-print factors in a forest hex that can only be attacked from 2 hexes, both of which give this unit the protection of a river.

This also means that even if the weather permits the Germans to move into the hex marked below (and I don't think they can even in Fine weather), I can still institute the retreat plan I proposed above in Post #1519. At that point, the CAV will be dead, so the 5-4 Siberian left alone in the river bend will no longer be safe and will need to retreat.

So, while I know many of you are in time zones that may prove me to be making a false statement here: I'm going to assume that the 9 hours that have passed since I posted my Soviet moves . . . without any major objections . . . means that my setup is good enough based on the available forces. So I'll continue on with the game.

Here's the revised image, showing the Siberian that I'm going to switch to cover the disorganized 5-4 INF:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1524
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 8:59:16 AM   
Red Prince

To end the impulse, the CW sent a FTR it had near Plymouth to London, in case the Germans decide to bring in more protection to the region. The LND shown in the image above is now still within Ground Support range of everyone else shown, but is located in a forest NW of Bryansk, and the 2 LND that got caught to the SW of Stavropol are now on the Persian front.

And life in the Soviet Union continues to be dreary, with the new weather roll changing nothing:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1525
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 12:51:26 PM   
Red Prince

This impulse, Germany obviously took a Land Action, but both Italy and Japan took Combined Actions. Italy did this to pick up the remaining German divisions in Libya (and to pick up a GARR to put in Malta) while using the 2 land moves to keep the HQs rolling toward the Iraqi supply-chain positions. Japan needed the Combined in order to finally put their Marines to use.

In all, there are going to be 3 German attacks and a Japanese invasion of Rangoon! (I decided India can wait).
-----
Edit: This gives you a better indication of how the Include Notional Unit form is used (as compared to the last one I posted). The defender is a dinky TERR unit with only 1 combat factor. The MAR units are both invading from the 2 Box, so the Notional gets 2 factors from that, 1 for the city, and -1 for being OOS (the CW has no SCS in the Bay of Bengal anymore, so it can't trace a supply line back to a home country of its controlling Major Power). That's 2 factors added to its base of 1, so you get a 3-factor Notional to help the TERR.
-----
2nd Edit: I think I screwed up the calculations for the Notional unit, but I'm not sure how. I am sure it's not MWiF (or pretty sure). I just don't have a very good handle on calculating Notionals yet.
-----
Again, don't forget that these are the odds before Shore Bombardment and Ground Support.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/24/2012 1:01:57 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1526
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 1:42:40 PM   
Red Prince

The attacks for Impulse #9:

And the results:

Attack on Latvia [43, 50]: Blitz, Fractional Odds .589 (Yes), Roll = Automatic = */2B
Attack on Cernauti: Assault, Fractional Odds .218 (Yes), Roll = 8+1 = 9 = */2S (Bessarabia is again part of Rumania)
Attack on USSR [56, 55]: Assault, Roll = Automatic = */2S
Attack on Rangoon: Assault, Fractionsl Odds .233 (Yes), Roll = 7+1 = 8 = */2S (3 Oil Points captured)

I could have tried to take Riga, but decided that it would be more trouble than it's worth at the moment. Better to wait for either higher odds or better weather. HQ-A Rommel needed to stay where he was in order to reorganize units at the end of the impulse, so I let the Soviets "have their way" and took the Mongolian CAV out of the equation. That's actually not so bad for the USSR, since it will come back in the Far East . . . where it can try to slow down the Japanese.

The other 2 attacks in the USSR were easy. What was hard was trying to figure out how to make the attack on Cernauti a sure thing while still advancing a good number of units into the Ukraine . . . and keeping them under FTR cover. This rain is a real pain for things like that.

Turns out I was right when it came to the Notional Unit combat value. Don't know what confused me, but it doesn't really matter. The reason I went for Rangoon instead of getting a foot in the door in India is simple: 3 Oil Points were stacked with that TERR, and all that remains to defend Burma is a 2-factor MIL in Mandalay. So far this turn, the Japanese have captured 7 Oil Points, 2 Oil hexes, and when conquest comes around (unless that MIL moves onto the Oil, which is likely) another 3 Oil hexes will be in Japanese hands. The biggest joke of all is that if the USA doesn't successfully DOW Japan before this turn ends, they'll still have to ship 2 Oil to the Japanese!
-----
What I said about streaks before still stands. Including the failed USA DOW, the roll to end the turn last impulse, and the weather roll for this impulse, it seems like the last 10 or more rolls have all been a '7' or higher. Weird, isn't it?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/24/2012 1:43:00 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1527
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 2:30:04 PM   
Red Prince

The rebasing I did at the end of the impulse was mostly to aid the Persian front, with 2 German and 2 Italian LND getting into positions to be useful against the Soviets.

What you see below is not an American Football diagram, though it may look like one. It is the plans for the first phase of the Persian war.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1528
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 2:47:57 PM   
Red Prince

With the next impulse (Allied) having a 50% chance to end the turn, and the one after that (Axis) a 70% chance, it's unlikely that I can advance the Germans far enough into the Ukraine to put them out of supply range of the HQs in the area. So, in addition to reorganizing the Northern Front units with Rommel, I decided to use Rundstedt for reorganization, too. The Soviets aren't likely to use any of their incoming reinforcements on Odessa next turn, but they might get some sneaky ideas later in the summer. To prevent that, I want to take Odessa out as soon as I can. Unless the turn goes longer than expected, the Axis only has one more impulse to work with, and that means falling short of the Dnieper line. If I do get that far, it won't be in strength . . . and the attacks would be too weak, so I want to make sure I have enough brute force to take Odessa without any problems.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1529
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/24/2012 2:52:52 PM   
Red Prince

Flash!!!

Breaking news, and an instant update: All those plans I was talking about will come to nothing. The turn just ended, and they'll have to be revised to fit the start of a new turn. Wonderful time for the die rolls to stop being high, don't you think?

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1530
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI