Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  303 304 [305] 306 307   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:03:45 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Some more...

Leo "Apollo11"

That sure was a cute dude

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9121
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:04:09 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Might as well post another picture. Not all of the puppies have been picked up yet.

Mama-dog is looking a lot less harassed.

Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the pic

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 9122
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:05:01 PM   
Grollub

Another puppy UNP

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 9123
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:05:14 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

How can you say that blunt trauma euthanasia methods are humane? Even if the object of the blunt trauma (airplane) is travelling at 500mph, it's still not a recognized means of humane euthanasia. You guys are full of contradictions-the airline should be sued for animal cruelty!!!

Is it more or less humane mincing them up before passing them through a furnace and firing the remains into the atmosphere at several hundred miles per hour?

About the same, only much more 'entertaining' for the spectators. Hey Steve-o: any close encounters of the worst kind with our fine feathered friends at 1,000 feet?

Not so much fun when you're scrubbing bird remains from an engine and trying to retrieve enough parts for an expert to ascertain what breed the plane hit. It also involves a lot of inspection if there's any chance that bird bits have gone through the core (hot part of the) engine.

Two bloody days I spent scrubbing once. And picking feathers and bits of bone out of holes in the engine casing.

They make electric ovens self-cleaning. You would think that with the amount of heat involved they could make the engine self-cleaning.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 9124
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:18:15 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Might as well post another picture. Not all of the puppies have been picked up yet.

Sia is looking good. If your sister doesn't pick her up soon, I just might.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 9125
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:19:09 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

How can you say that blunt trauma euthanasia methods are humane? Even if the object of the blunt trauma (airplane) is travelling at 500mph, it's still not a recognized means of humane euthanasia. You guys are full of contradictions-the airline should be sued for animal cruelty!!!

Is it more or less humane mincing them up before passing them through a furnace and firing the remains into the atmosphere at several hundred miles per hour?

About the same, only much more 'entertaining' for the spectators. Hey Steve-o: any close encounters of the worst kind with our fine feathered friends at 1,000 feet?

Many. When I was 15 and taking lessons in a Cessna 172 we hit a bird (with the prop). I've been in planes that hit (and were hit by) everything from starlings to turkey buzzards (with a couple of seagulls for good measure). Even one large bird (we couldn't ID the remains) that hit the right windshield and caused a deicer short (blowing a hole in the side window (we were below 10K obviously ) so no explosive decompression, but it being winter in Maine, it was a cold flight.

I recall there was one report (not us) in the mid-80's of a bird strike above 14k....which led to a lot of jokes about watching out for birds with oxygen masks!

...the prop of a P-3 does a nice puree job on most fowl...during mating season on Midway island, it was almost a given that one of the "goonie birds" that nest there would hit the windscreen or prop on take off...better the prop...broke wind screen = waiting at least another day for a logistics flight to bring a new one...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9126
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:28:06 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Can't imagine that would be an endearing aspect of work. My 'entertaining' in quotes was meant in jest to suggest that it must be a bit concerning having birds fly into engines. Witness the role geese played in bringing down that flight into the Hudson river a few years ago.

Since bird gore is my domain, I'm curious. What means of collecting bits of bird from the inside of an engine to you use? You can't just wash it with water, can you? Do you literally have to pick each little micron of flesh and sinew off of the fan blades and whatnot?

Also, I assume that there is less concern for turboprop aircraft with bird strikes? Seems less likely that you'll have a bird 'ingestion' / engine flame-out than a jet engine, but what do I know?

It wasn't the finest hour (or 24) of my career, strangely it's not an area they advertise in the careers office Join the RAF and scrub bits of dead bird from an engine. I had an inkling you were talking in jest.

There are various checks to carry out depending on where the bird debris has gone, or is believed to have gone. In the best case it goes round the engine and just leave a big dent in the nacelle. Next is the bird going through the cold stream (bypass) portion of the engine. The worst is it passing through the hot parts, if it goes through the hot part then there's generally nothing to retrieve but it creates a stink. It's also quite likely to cause some pretty severe damage to the internals.

If it passes down the bypass duct then there's usually something to recover. The last one I dealt with managed to smash holes in the acoustic paneling behind the fan blades for a good 30% of the circumference. It left various bits of bone and feather embedded a good inch or two through an aluminium honeycomb, simply fish them out and stick them in a plastic bag. There were also feathers and bone stuck in various parts of the spinner. Then post said bag to some expert who can tell what species it was. IIRC, the last one I dealt with was some sort of Afghan species around sparrow size, I think the largest bit we fished out was a piece of bone about an inch long along with a some feathers and smaller bits of bone. The rest of the bird had spread across a bulge in the turbine casing where the heat had baked the remains onto the metal. We had to take apart the LP compressor in order to pull all the bits of bird from the casing and make repairs.

I've never worked with turboprops, but in theory it could do the same damage but it's a smaller intake with a whirling propeller in front that would tend to fling the bits outwards and away from the dangerous bits.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9127
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:45:11 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker
How does renting beer work?

You 'rent' beer because intake and output will eventually come to a steady state. If, after a few hours, you consume 9 liters of beer you will-in comparatively short order-have to dispose of 9 liters of processed beer by one means or another.

Besides, Mike is a girly man with regards to beer consumption. Please don't use the USS Mike metric and assume that all Americans as as effete as he is.

I am so gonna plunk down two bottles of rum the next time we're together!

Ah...well, what are YOU going to drink?

Big words! I guess you have to be put to the test!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9128
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:45:15 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

You've never had a bird fly into your windshield? They like to "car surf" off the air disruption the car causes. Sometimes they miss! I once say a seagull really screw up and smashed into the radiator of the car in front of me! MASSIVE amounts of feathers and gore !

Nope. Never had the "pleasure". The worst I've gotten is a giant wasp that decided to visit while I was stopped at a light. Did I ever mention that I'm TERRIFIED of bees?

I once found myself with three european hornets in the car...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 9129
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:45:21 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

500mph with a blunt object of more than 50 tonnes counts as anesthesia and humane killing at once.

Ze German says: Government should issue hunging licences by plane to pilots. Ze German says: Government needs to make gutt regulations! Achtung!

Bah! German government would fine the pilot for hunting without a license.

Remind me to tell you about that one time I hit a dear on the highway and my friends decided to be funny....

but you are still married to her, or was that another "dear"?

Post #: 9130
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:45:24 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

Yes, we agreed to a "best of three" with one day beer and one day rum. A third day won't be needed, as I'll win the first two encounters anyways

If only drinking was an Olympic sport...

it isn't because even the Irish know their master! No one can drink beer as the bavarians. The only ones to compete may be russians drinking vodka...

Post #: 9131
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 6:45:32 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

post cycling tithe

Youre a little late for the Tour.

No, actually, he started at the same time they did.....

OK so he's just slow....

Fixed that for you.

yeah, all you do cycling is watch it. so stfu!

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 9132
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 7:41:05 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Thats probably not entirely true.

Mike sounds like the guy that would stand on the side of the road and hand out cups of Gatorade.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9133
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 7:51:32 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Many. When I was 15 and taking lessons in a Cessna 172 we hit a bird (with the prop). I've been in planes that hit (and were hit by) everything from starlings to turkey buzzards (with a couple of seagulls for good measure). Even one large bird (we couldn't ID the remains) that hit the right windshield and caused a deicer short (blowing a hole in the side window (we were below 10K obviously ) so no explosive decompression, but it being winter in Maine, it was a cold flight.

I recall there was one report (not us) in the mid-80's of a bird strike above 14k....which led to a lot of jokes about watching out for birds with oxygen masks!

...the prop of a P-3 does a nice puree job on most fowl...during mating season on Midway island, it was almost a given that one of the "goonie birds" that nest there would hit the windscreen or prop on take off...better the prop...broke wind screen = waiting at least another day for a logistics flight to bring a new one...

I couldn't agree more!I've also found the one thing a P-3 prop won't digest is a 300+ pound north PA buck deer! It took out the prop and engine! And stranded me in Pittsburg for 3 days.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 9134
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 7:52:33 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

You've never had a bird fly into your windshield? They like to "car surf" off the air disruption the car causes. Sometimes they miss! I once say a seagull really screw up and smashed into the radiator of the car in front of me! MASSIVE amounts of feathers and gore !

Nope. Never had the "pleasure". The worst I've gotten is a giant wasp that decided to visit while I was stopped at a light. Did I ever mention that I'm TERRIFIED of bees?

Did they chip in for gas?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9135
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 8:14:55 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Thats probably not entirely true.

Mike sounds like the guy that would stand on the side of the road and hand out cups of Gatorade.

Actually, Torsten is right. I'm the guy who keeps saying, "I've got to fix the flat tire on my bike."

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 9136
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 8:39:42 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I stopped and fled the car in panic!

I then opened all windows and left. Later, I entered the car VERY slowly and looked into the motor block whether there was a nest - you don't find three at once by accident...

I don't like wasps, though I'm immune to their poison. But hornets are frightening. Two to three inches in size and that sound when flying...

Like a flying death!

< Message edited by Historiker -- 8/2/2012 8:42:39 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9137
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 8:46:15 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I stopped and fled the car in panic!

I then opened all windows and left. Later, I entered the car VERY slowly and looked into the motor block whether there was a nest - you don't find three at once by accident...

I don't like wasps, though I'm immune to their poison. But hornets are frightening. Two to three inches in size and that sound when flying...

Like a flying death!

When dealing with wasps,hornets or bees, if you can't get a hold of a wasp trap, open the windows and put a can of "fruity" soda, like gingerale or sprite near the car , but outside of it. I've "lured off" many of them that way. The nest....that's a problem. Did you leave your windows down?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9138
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:01:22 PM   
Historiker

I can't remember, it was last year. The worst thing was, it was at night and the interior light of the car didn't work. So I heared the flying death without seeing it first, without knowing what I'm facing...
The first of them appeared while I waited at a red light. It was gentle enough to fly out after I had opened the windows.
The other two appeared when I was about to park the car.

I opened the windows and was full of fear. But they disappeared as they had emerged. Suddenly and unexpected.

< Message edited by Historiker -- 8/2/2012 9:08:46 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9139
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:05:55 PM   
Schanilec

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9140
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:06:29 PM   
Schanilec

I'm sorry. But that's funny.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9141
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:13:29 PM   
Schanilec

It reminds me of a morning about six or seven years ago. When I got chomped in the arm in the arm seven times by a yellow jacket that somhow got into the house and into a shirt I was putting on, as I was getting ready for work. Bloody painful.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9142
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:18:15 PM   
Dixie

quote:

When dealing with wasps,hornets or bees, if you can't get a hold of a wasp trap, open the windows and put a can of "fruity" soda, like gingerale or sprite near the car , but outside of it. I've "lured off" many of them that way. The nest....that's a problem. Did you leave your windows down?

I thought the best method was to flap your arms and wave them around at speed whilst ducking and weaving and squealing. That's what most people seem to do, they can't all be wrong can they?

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9143
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:23:41 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

I thought the best method was to flap your arms and wave them around at speed whilst ducking and weaving and squealing. That's what most people seem to do, they can't all be wrong can they?

Reminds me when I was in the military and standing at ease in the morning. I felt something strange at one hand and touched it with the other hand behind my back. Then I jumped out of line screaming
Damn wasp had stinged me.

But I get stung by these beasts about once or twice a year when cycling. They always end up in my helmet and try to sting their way out...
But luckily, I got used to this and don't even get a turgor any more

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 9144
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:25:20 PM   
US87891

Things.

quote:

Original: JWE
Hello Leo. Gaspic is doing exactly what he needs to do. He parked on Lobert and kept on the right side of the course so he could get righteous with a shift. He's good.

Anybody who knows about sailing is watching this Bronze attempt. Ivan is ahead of Lobert, so far, but Lobert has a 2nd for the tie breaker, and the medal race counts double, so Ivan has to push Lobert down three, right before the medal race. And then beat him.

So far, Gaspic is looking very good, but there's two races left and Netherlands and Slovenia have a chance to strike. Especially Slovenia, because their throw-out is a ninth, so they can go aggressive. Netherlands is the same, but theirs is a twentieth. Brits have a twelfth as a throw out. Jonas has an eighth.

Mr Christensen cannot be beat. I'm not seeing Ainslie losing the silver. The Bronze is a wild wild west show that Gaspic is looking good for, but he's going to have to keep really kosher on them competitors.

Hope to gosh Gaspic makes it. Am watching the Finn races (that was my Olympic class). Am watching your sailor and am pulling for him.

Regards. John

< Message edited by US87891 -- 8/2/2012 9:32:40 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9145
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:54:55 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

My way of dealing with the intruder was to light up a cigarette. The reason for this was twofold. 1) I figured I'd have one before I was stung to death and 2) the wasp didnt like it at all and promptly exited out of another window I had obligingly opened. In the end, we were both happy.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 9146
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 9:56:22 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: US87891

Things.

quote:

Original: JWE
Hello Leo. Gaspic is doing exactly what he needs to do. He parked on Lobert and kept on the right side of the course so he could get righteous with a shift. He's good.

Anybody who knows about sailing is watching this Bronze attempt. Ivan is ahead of Lobert, so far, but Lobert has a 2nd for the tie breaker, and the medal race counts double, so Ivan has to push Lobert down three, right before the medal race. And then beat him.

So far, Gaspic is looking very good, but there's two races left and Netherlands and Slovenia have a chance to strike. Especially Slovenia, because their throw-out is a ninth, so they can go aggressive. Netherlands is the same, but theirs is a twentieth. Brits have a twelfth as a throw out. Jonas has an eighth.

Mr Christensen cannot be beat. I'm not seeing Ainslie losing the silver. The Bronze is a wild wild west show that Gaspic is looking good for, but he's going to have to keep really kosher on them competitors.

Hope to gosh Gaspic makes it. Am watching the Finn races (that was my Olympic class). Am watching your sailor and am pulling for him.

Regards. John

Still dont know what he's saying but it sounds like him.

(in reply to US87891)
Post #: 9147
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 10:04:43 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

My way of dealing with the intruder was to light up a cigarette. The reason for this was twofold. 1) I figured I'd have one before I was stung to death and 2) the wasp didnt like it at all and promptly exited out of another window I had obligingly opened. In the end, we were both happy.

I'm suprised he didn't sting you out of sheer spite! Imagine trying to give a bee cancer! What woulf PETA say? Or Lacrimosa?

Post #: 9148
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 10:06:43 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

Reminds me when I was in the military and standing at ease in the morning. I felt something strange at one hand and touched it with the other hand behind my back. Then I jumped out of line screaming
Damn wasp had stinged me.

But I get stung by these beasts about once or twice a year when cycling. They always end up in my helmet and try to sting their way out...
But luckily, I got used to this and don't even get a turgor any more

A fine example of the stoic and corageous German Army! I belive you now , that you are a Barvarian. You are definately NOT a Prussian!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9149
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/2/2012 10:26:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like this one? Only really dangerous if you're married. Three of them must have been fun! Pictures or it didn't happen!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9150
Page:   <<   < prev  303 304 [305] 306 307   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  303 304 [305] 306 307   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI