Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hearts and Minds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  292 293 [294] 295 296   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:25:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake
A coffee and pastry bar in a Hustler store. Go figure.

So, you willingly consumed cream in your coffee or on your pastry in this place? You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 8791
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:32:22 PM   
Walloc

16 aug 07:15 Billund 16 aug 09:10 Paris Charles de Gaulle AF1765 (2 hours from Jutland to Paris, do they fly by Aberdeen or what?)

16 aug 10:30 Paris Charles de Gaulle 16 aug 13:10 Los Angeles Air France DL8395

16 aug 16:42 Los Angeles 16 aug 17:34 San Diego DL4831

Any way u could pick me up Cap?

Rasmus, will do the doggie pick up im not picky.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8792
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:35:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
.....in this place? You're a braver man than I am, Gunga Din.

Well, perhaps I have given the wrong impression. It's right on Sunset in a high rent area, bright lights, great sound system, hip music. It's kinda like a J. Crew store (except for the 20x40 ft naked blonde on the wall).

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8793
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:43:39 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

16 aug 07:15 Billund 16 aug 09:10 Paris Charles de Gaulle AF1765 (2 hours from Jutland to Paris, do they fly by Aberdeen or what?)

Here is a aerial view of Mandrake Castle. Just have the airline helicopter you in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 8794
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:53:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Here is a aerial view of Mandrake Castle. Just have the airline helicopter you in.

Yes, yes. 16th is perfect. You can take care of Pinhead while I'm in Sun Valley. I'll leave a key under the potted bouganville at the servant's entrance. Don't let Pinhead sit on the Louis XV crap, OK?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8795
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:54:54 PM   
Walloc

quote:

Ah, thx i didnt know that was an option. I should warn u americans tho. Last time i flew to the West coast was on the 9/10 2001, flying American Airlines. Landing at SFI at 9 PM. Going back was an interesting journey.... FBI still have my nailclippers....

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/12/2012 5:55:29 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8796
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/12/2012 5:59:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt Armenian Orthodox Church, Gilroy**********

Father Kerkorian: ...Captain Yossarian, we call upon you to make your presence known from the afterworld.....<he pauses and glances downward and covertly takes a small message from under the tablecloth. He reads it>

Oh sorry, I meant from the world of the Missing in Action....

Post #: 8797
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 2:43:52 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I took my cue and went over to the coffee and danish area to read my book on Guadalcanal. A coffee and pastry bar in a Hustler store. Go figure. I read a few pages of the author beating up on Ghormley and then we drove home.

Gota love language. A danish, in danish is a Wiener(brød) as in Viena(bread). Or maybe i should be just be insulted to be turned into a piece of pastry...

Carry on,

Rasmus

No, no. My fault. I should have capitalized "danish". It was quite literally a "coffee and Danish" area. An open-top tour bus had pulled up out front and the place was packed with Danish tourists. I guess it was the Euro-Dollar exchange rate or something because they were cleaning the joint out.

No offense to the Danes but I'm more interested in the Dutch field hockey team.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 8798
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 5:22:39 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

I like the women's beach volleyball. It's a tough sport though. I've only been watching for 10 minutes and already there is a wrist injury.

I'm hoping with some ice and ibuprofen I will be OK in a couple of days.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 8799
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 9:32:54 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

I like the women's beach volleyball. It's a tough sport though. I've only been watching for 10 minutes and already there is a wrist injury.

Did you sustain the injury during your pre-game 12 ounce curls or by picking up your paycheck?

Post #: 8800
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 9:38:52 AM   
Walloc

quote:

That just leaves more for me so im happy!

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/13/2012 9:39:32 AM >

Post #: 8801
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 9:40:05 AM   
Walloc

or

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 8802
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 2:53:16 PM   
BBfanboy

Geez Walloc, how does she stay on the bike with that much oil on??
What does she do - pedal into Mr. Lube and ask them to just hose her down with the stuff?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 8803
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 3:23:30 PM   
Walloc

She is a triathlet. This way she can change outfits faster. Every second counts....

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/13/2012 3:25:21 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8804
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 5:40:56 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

The sacrifices made for Olympic glory...

Post #: 8805
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 6:22:42 PM   
witpqs

...or was that Olympic Gloria?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8806
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 8:48:12 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

Ah, thx i didnt know that was an option. I should warn u americans tho. Last time i flew to the West coast was on the 9/10 2001, flying American Airlines. Landing at SFI at 9 PM. Going back was an interesting journey.... FBI still have my nailclippers....

Rasmus

It all balances out - a co-worker of mine was visiting a supplier in France on 9/11/01 - IIRC she wound up returning via Denmark over a week later. Her luggage, as far as she knows, is still there.

I doubt it is the FBI, BTW - probably the TSA. The FBI on occasion does useful work. The TSA does not.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 8807
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/13/2012 11:18:31 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

quote:

Rasmus

It all balances out - a co-worker of mine was visiting a supplier in France on 9/11/01 - IIRC she wound up returning via Denmark over a week later. Her luggage, as far as she knows, is still there.

I doubt it is the FBI, BTW - probably the TSA. The FBI on occasion does useful work. The TSA does not.

Nice story, karma wheel at work.
It was the FBI as far as im aware. I incidently had an return ticket on the same day the planes first flew again. From SFI to Seattle and then with SAS back to Copenhagen. We were 3 customers on that SAS plane. First and only time i've flown 1st class. They graciously bumped me up tho having the 3 ppl at the same place made it all easier i guess. I assume in those days right after TSA didnt have the manpower. They had both jackets with FBI logo and identified them self as the FBI. IIRC 5-10 man at gates with MP5s or some thing similar at SFI. Nothing unusual at Seattle. They searched my carry ons pretty throughly. Ofc they asked if i had any weapons first. So its my assumption they indeed were from FBI, tho i could be wrong. They offered to have the nailclippers be stored in the cockpit and returned on a later date. Well 10$ nailclippers not worth giving any one any hassle about considering the cuircmstances.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/13/2012 11:46:37 PM >

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 8808
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 3:31:41 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

...or was that Olympic Gloria?

Glad to see somebody got the gag.

No turn yet. I think Admirar Rord Nerson got abducted by the Hopi...which is quite an accomplishment. Perhaps he was rendered senseless with a Kachina Doll blow to the head.

Pretty soon we are going to have to turn to filler. Got anything Admiral Lord SPrior? Maybe a quaint remembrance of a garlic eater?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8809
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 3:35:14 AM   
Cap Mandrake

One day before my scheduled deposition as an expert witness, there was a settlement. One can only conclude they were afraid of me. <puffs up chest..likely to be insufferable for 24 hrs or so until I forget what I was on about>

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8810
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 3:46:31 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

One day before my scheduled deposition as an expert witness, there was a settlement. One can only conclude they were afraid of me. <puffs up chest..likely to be insufferable for 24 hrs or so until I forget what I was on about>

The Cap's critical Testimony:

"In your professional opinion, is the plantiff within the pediatric population?" ... "That will be all .. no more questions .."

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

Post #: 8811
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 5:16:54 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

Damn, you too...Last week I spent 2 hours on the phone getting interrogated/deposed by the plaintiff's malpractice attorney; this morning I get an e-mail from the defense team who "engaged my services."

"Dr. Moondawggie: The case has been continued indefinitely, and will not be going to trial; we expect it to be dismissed soon. Please send an accounting for your time and we will issue you a check immediately. Do not, (REPEAT DO NOT), do any additional work regarding this case."

So my group sent them a bill for 16 hrs @ $600/hr! Yay, team! Only, it all goes to our medical corporation, not me---that will teach me to volunteer for the good of the group ever again!

You know, Cap, maybe my attitude has been wrong about the immorality of malpractice litigation all these years; it's probably just society's way of providing justice to the wronged and downtrodden, and new BMWs for scholars who once published on an esoteric subject! We should view this as an opportunity for post-retirement income augmentation, It's clearly the noble thing to do for humanity and social justice, right?

Mandrake, "You da' Man!" Thanks for the Enlightenment!!!!

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 8812
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 5:24:20 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

This is NOT what Venice looks like. San Vicente in Santa Monica. Beautiful old Coral and Magnolias..about a mile from the beach. 15 degrees cooler than dowtown. It goes on like this for miles. Nice place to spend the recession. I think the Japanese car is either tourists or maids, or maybe part of a Korean Construction Bn.

Hey---Where are the joggers running down the median grass strip (you can see the dirt path they have worn out).

They were always there (in short Spandex outfits) when I used to run it after class at UCLA in the early 70's...Ah, memories...

They also ran down this street at the start of the Marathon in the '84 LA Olympics.

Post #: 8813
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 5:30:36 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

We even used to cite that event as an indefensible example of bourgeois tastelesness when arguing the moral superiority of Marxism with our parents when we were High School students in Pacific Palisades in 1968.

Dude, things must have changed in Pali between 1968 and my time at Pali high in the mid-80s! We tended to argue about important things: BMW vs. Mercedes; Maui 'wowie' vs. Humboldt Gold, etc.

I graduated Pali in Winter 1970 (The Aquarians); how 'bout you?

Of course, back then we had a draft with a one-way ticket to some nice big war-games our parents had arranged in SE Asia upon graduation if you didn't head off to college or end up with a high draft lottery number (my best friend got #365, which was good but not perfect; 1970 was a leap year, after all...)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8814
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 4:38:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

You know, Cap, maybe my attitude has been wrong about the immorality of malpractice litigation all these years; it's probably just society's way of providing justice to the wronged and downtrodden, and new BMWs for scholars who once published on an esoteric subject! We should view this as an opportunity for post-retirement income augmentation, It's clearly the noble thing to do for humanity and social justice, right?

Ah yes. One of my favorites from Despair.com: "Corruption: I either want less corruption in the world or a greater opportunity to participate in it."

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 8815
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 4:41:26 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

We even used to cite that event as an indefensible example of bourgeois tastelesness when arguing the moral superiority of Marxism with our parents when we were High School students in Pacific Palisades in 1968.

Dude, things must have changed in Pali between 1968 and my time at Pali high in the mid-80s! We tended to argue about important things: BMW vs. Mercedes; Maui 'wowie' vs. Humboldt Gold, etc.

I graduated Pali in Winter 1970 (The Aquarians); how 'bout you?

Of course, back then we had a draft with a one-way ticket to some nice big war-games our parents had arranged in SE Asia upon graduation if you didn't head off to college or end up with a high draft lottery number (my best friend got #365, which was good but not perfect; 1970 was a leap year, after all...)

Aquarians? Hippies. By Summer 1986, we were the Dolphins.

Not so much of a draft problem then. I once knew a guy that served in Grenada. That's about the same though.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 8816
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 6:15:22 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Aquarians? Hippies. By Summer 1986, we were the Dolphins.

Not so much of a draft problem then. I once knew a guy that served in Grenada. That's about the same though.

Well, at least you wernt the "Gondoliers".

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 8817
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 9:08:52 PM   
sprior

Troops prepping for Ramree Island

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 8818
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 9:10:13 PM   
sprior

Troops prepping for Bengay:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8819
RE: Hearts and Minds - 8/14/2012 9:11:12 PM   
sprior

And the rest:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 8820
Page:   <<   < prev  292 293 [294] 295 296   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hearts and Minds Page: <<   < prev  292 293 [294] 295 296   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI