Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 9:05:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Wow,that must have been a heck of a game.

Dood...check your calendar. It was 67 years ago, homey.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 9811
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 9:07:18 PM   
Schanilec

Thank you Andre.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9812
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 9:07:51 PM   
Schanilec

Oh, And nice UNP.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9813
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 9:08:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

No wonder Melky was playing so well.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/08/melky-cabrera-giants-50-game-suspension-testosterone/1

Look, KC. Only one of us-the Oakland A's-is goin' to the playoffs this year, see? So quit beating us!

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 9814
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 9:09:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

Oh, And nice UNP.

How's your wheat lookin' up there, dood?

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9815
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 9:11:07 PM   
Schanilec

Everything is looking swell. Early harvests on everything. These are the 'Happy Times'.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9816
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 9:21:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Everything is looking swell. Early harvests on everything. These are the 'Happy Times'.

This'll be a great year for Minnesota farmers. >155 bushel yield / acre for corn; also right on target for soy. We will have a very good crop for both this year-about the only state that can say that. So, good yield x record # acres under cultivation x $8.25 / bu corn= happy times in the Gopher nation.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9817
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 10:56:21 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

No wonder Melky was playing so well.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/08/melky-cabrera-giants-50-game-suspension-testosterone/1

...crap...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 9818
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 11:05:53 PM   
Schanilec

Temps at night for a couple of days dipping to in the 40's. What perfect night to fire up the oven and bake some pork chops in sauerkraut. Delish.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 9819
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 11:20:46 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Wow,that must have been a heck of a game.

Dood...check your calendar. It was 67 years ago, homey.

Aha. Is it too early to joke about?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9820
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 11:48:10 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Advertising at its finest!

Attachment (1)

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 9821
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 11:51:51 PM   
Historiker

quote:

Advertising at its finest!

genious! pure genious!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

Post #: 9822
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/15/2012 11:53:05 PM   
Historiker

yuri!
Come online on skype, I won't tell your mom!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9823
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 12:01:55 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

yuri!
Come online on skype, I won't tell your mom!

I'm on.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9824
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 2:27:01 AM   
Mundy

Sorry I missed your call, Marc. Didn't hear the phone.

Ed-

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 9825
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 7:44:55 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good day!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 9826
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 7:47:32 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

15,000!!!!

Congrats!

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 9827
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 8:10:57 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I found my grandfather on Ancestry.com last night! He was in his early 50's when my dad was born, and died when my dad was only 6 years old. I didn't even know his name, much less where the Floyd family came from.

Welcome to the family, John Richard Floyd!

We here move around very very very rarely from our hometowns in generations (except people coming to bigger towns near-by or capital) so tracing back is not as big problem as it is in USA where folks move a lot...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 9828
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 12:07:27 PM   
Chickenboy

Good morning tithe...

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9829
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 1:25:27 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I found my grandfather on Ancestry.com last night! He was in his early 50's when my dad was born, and died when my dad was only 6 years old. I didn't even know his name, much less where the Floyd family came from.

Welcome to the family, John Richard Floyd!

We here move around very very very rarely from our hometowns in generations (except people coming to bigger towns near-by or capital) so tracing back is not as big problem as it is in USA where folks move a lot...

Leo "Apollo11"

Moving around a lot has always been a by-product of economics. Americans have a long tradition of "going where the jobs are". After you (our immigrant ancestors) cross the ocean's to come here , a move of a couple of states or a thousand miles or so isn't a big thing. Being "rooted" to the land , while great for a sense of history or family ("my family has been in this town for XXX generations!") it's often a sure fire route to poverty. There are lots of Ghost towns across the west USA that are a testement to this. (What do you move for work when..."the mine plays out", "the mill closes down" , etc). Which REALLY complicates researching the anscestors.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 9830
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 1:55:25 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Morning tithe. I'm in wind-down stage at work. Virtually all my responsibilities have been taken over by co-workers. I expect i'll be taking a lot of smoke breaks today.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9831
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 1:59:38 PM   
Historiker

quote:

Moving around a lot has always been a by-product of economics. Americans have a long tradition of "going where the jobs are". After you (our immigrant ancestors) cross the ocean's to come here , a move of a couple of states or a thousand miles or so isn't a big thing. Being "rooted" to the land , while great for a sense of history or family ("my family has been in this town for XXX generations!") it's often a sure fire route to poverty. There are lots of Ghost towns across the west USA that are a testement to this. (What do you move for work when..."the mine plays out", "the mill closes down" , etc). Which REALLY complicates researching the anscestors.

Germany prefers to pay social welfare to those who don't want to move, even if jobs for them are available somewhere else. It would be inhumane to take someone out of his social enviroment...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9832
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 2:43:12 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Germany prefers to pay social welfare to those who don't want to move, even if jobs for them are available somewhere else. It would be inhumane to take someone out of his social enviroment...

Oh that's true in many places. But look at yourself. Your not just willing to move from one end of your country , you are willing to even move out of the country for a while if necessary. We have the same problems in many parts of our country. But then again, I've never heard of anyone being lauded because they are "on the dole".

I deep loved the scenery and climate of the small town I grew up in. But opportunity was not there at the time, and it was elsewhere. But I have a great many relatives who stayed , because it was easy, comfortable and familiar. They are the one that our decendants will have an easy time tracking down (my brother for example , only left for a hitch in the Navy , then returned and never left again. My cousins have never been more than 25 miles from the site of their birth. But then again, they never went to college ,joined the service, or owned a passport).

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9833
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 3:16:02 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Oh that's true in many places. But look at yourself. Your not just willing to move from one end of your country , you are willing to even move out of the country for a while if necessary. We have the same problems in many parts of our country. But then again, I've never heard of anyone being lauded because they are "on the dole".

I deep loved the scenery and climate of the small town I grew up in. But opportunity was not there at the time, and it was elsewhere. But I have a great many relatives who stayed , because it was easy, comfortable and familiar. They are the one that our decendants will have an easy time tracking down (my brother for example , only left for a hitch in the Navy , then returned and never left again. My cousins have never been more than 25 miles from the site of their birth. But then again, they never went to college ,joined the service, or owned a passport).

Nobody should be forced to move. But forcing those who do to pay for the living of those who stayed at a place with no jobs is... well, propably "european"...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9834
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 3:34:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nobody should be forced to move. But forcing those who do to pay for the living of those who stayed at a place with no jobs is... well, propably "european"...

Agreed on all counts...

I'm always asked what the heck a guy doing in Southern California is doing in Minnesota, our nation's CONUS perennial icebox. My answer is "that's where the jobs are in my specialty".

I miss my family, which is a diaspora and lives in Arizona and California and wish that we could all live in a compound on the West Coast, away from the workaday responsibilities of...you know...providing for ourselves and building a new life. If only I had a couple hundred million $, I could set up a family compound a la the Kennedys in Massachusetts. I'll have to talk to Steve about a teeny tiny loan...

So, our family's choice has always been-go where your jobs take you or cling to family shirt tails and 'get by' on odds and ends. We've always chosen the former, and it has meant extensive familial mobility, possibly too much. I'd be hard pressed to say where 'home' really is anymore.

I know this trade off is anathema to many Europeans who (comparatively) rarely move out of their homeland for jobs. But my family is doing what Americans have done for generations.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9835
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 4:10:19 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Ed-

I was watching a North Dakota Outdoors segment on the news. They were talking about the stocking of salmon on Lake Sakakawea. I remembered you and the boy being in the area. I believe the air force has a rec area down by Garrison in Pick City.
Then one can also swing by Parshall, Hometown of Captain Joseph Enright.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 9836
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 4:39:57 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Ed-

I was watching a North Dakota Outdoors segment on the news. They were talking about the stocking of salmon on Lake Sakakawea. I remembered you and the boy being in the area. I believe the air force has a rec area down by Garrison in Pick City.

On one of the other threads (which I can't find) you asked if I was heading your way due to "witness protection". (Actually in my case that would be "witless protection). No , I've just been trying to explore as much of the west as I can while I'm living out there. And I noticed that I can stay on the same road, cross one and a half states (OK...one and two half states) I'm in your neck of the woods. So If I pass by (probably going some where else) I'll buy you a beer or three. I have agoal of meeting as many thread brothers as possible.

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9837
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 6:12:51 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ed-

On one of the other threads (which I can't find) you asked if I was heading your way due to "witness protection". (Actually in my case that would be "witless protection). No , I've just been trying to explore as much of the west as I can while I'm living out there. And I noticed that I can stay on the same road, cross one and a half states (OK...one and two half states) I'm in your neck of the woods. So If I pass by (probably going some where else) I'll buy you a beer or three. I have agoal of meeting as many thread brothers as possible.

You could take highway 81 and hit Jeff's place in Kansas, then go past my office here. Just shoot me an e-mail when your ready to make a run and I'll open up the launch control center and scare the rest of the world.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9838
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 6:24:37 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Damn. There really is no rest for the wicked.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9839
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 6:29:09 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed on all counts...

I'm always asked what the heck a guy doing in Southern California is doing in Minnesota, our nation's CONUS perennial icebox. My answer is "that's where the jobs are in my specialty".

I miss my family, which is a diaspora and lives in Arizona and California and wish that we could all live in a compound on the West Coast, away from the workaday responsibilities of...you know...providing for ourselves and building a new life. If only I had a couple hundred million $, I could set up a family compound a la the Kennedys in Massachusetts. I'll have to talk to Steve about a teeny tiny loan...

So, our family's choice has always been-go where your jobs take you or cling to family shirt tails and 'get by' on odds and ends. We've always chosen the former, and it has meant extensive familial mobility, possibly too much. I'd be hard pressed to say where 'home' really is anymore.

I know this trade off is anathema to many Europeans who (comparatively) rarely move out of their homeland for jobs. But my family is doing what Americans have done for generations.

I guess we're lucky in Europe in a way. A lot of European countries are smaller than a US state and our neighbours haven't always been on speaking terms so the need to travel a long way to find work hasn't been there. I wonder how much of the tendancy to stay put here in Europe is rooted in the Medieval times where you were beholden to your lord and needed permission to visit other areas, let alone move there? Of course, a lot of it is laziness and being given money for sitting on your arse watching Jeremy Kyle every day.

I'm lucky in the fact that my job has taken us back to where my family is, more or less, but I liked the fact that we used to live a decent distance away from our families. It meant we had to stand on our own. If my dad hadn't been willing to work away from home he wouldn't have met my mum. And her parents wouldn't have met if her dad hadn't been in the RAF.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9840
Page:   <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  326 327 [328] 329 330   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI