Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 6:53:38 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Damn. There really is no rest for the wicked.

I'm still looking for some energtic and eager minions to do my evil bidding. Must be able to work some weekends.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 9841
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 7:10:15 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Moving around a lot has always been a by-product of economics. Americans have a long tradition of "going where the jobs are". After you (our immigrant ancestors) cross the ocean's to come here , a move of a couple of states or a thousand miles or so isn't a big thing. Being "rooted" to the land , while great for a sense of history or family ("my family has been in this town for XXX generations!") it's often a sure fire route to poverty. There are lots of Ghost towns across the west USA that are a testement to this. (What do you move for work when..."the mine plays out", "the mill closes down" , etc). Which REALLY complicates researching the anscestors.

Germany prefers to pay social welfare to those who don't want to move, even if jobs for them are available somewhere else. It would be inhumane to take someone out of his social enviroment...

Oh that's true in many places. But look at yourself. Your not just willing to move from one end of your country , you are willing to even move out of the country for a while if necessary. We have the same problems in many parts of our country. But then again, I've never heard of anyone being lauded because they are "on the dole".

I deep loved the scenery and climate of the small town I grew up in. But opportunity was not there at the time, and it was elsewhere. But I have a great many relatives who stayed , because it was easy, comfortable and familiar. They are the one that our decendants will have an easy time tracking down (my brother for example , only left for a hitch in the Navy , then returned and never left again. My cousins have never been more than 25 miles from the site of their birth. But then again, they never went to college ,joined the service, or owned a passport).

Nobody should be forced to move. But forcing those who do to pay for the living of those who stayed at a place with no jobs is... well, propably "european"...

Agreed on all counts...

I'm always asked what the heck a guy doing in Southern California is doing in Minnesota, our nation's CONUS perennial icebox. My answer is "that's where the jobs are in my specialty".

I miss my family, which is a diaspora and lives in Arizona and California and wish that we could all live in a compound on the West Coast, away from the workaday responsibilities of...you know...providing for ourselves and building a new life. If only I had a couple hundred million $, I could set up a family compound a la the Kennedys in Massachusetts. I'll have to talk to Steve about a teeny tiny loan...

So, our family's choice has always been-go where your jobs take you or cling to family shirt tails and 'get by' on odds and ends. We've always chosen the former, and it has meant extensive familial mobility, possibly too much. I'd be hard pressed to say where 'home' really is anymore.

I know this trade off is anathema to many Europeans who (comparatively) rarely move out of their homeland for jobs. But my family is doing what Americans have done for generations.

Sorry dude....if I had the kind of loot you need , I'd already be building a compound 7 miles north of Walkers point, KennebunkPort. How does "Slacker's joint" sound?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 9842
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 7:12:29 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Sorry I missed your call, Marc. Didn't hear the phone.

Ed-

I was watching a North Dakota Outdoors segment on the news. They were talking about the stocking of salmon on Lake Sakakawea. I remembered you and the boy being in the area. I believe the air force has a rec area down by Garrison in Pick City.
Then one can also swing by Parshall, Hometown of Captain Joseph Enright.

On one of the other threads (which I can't find) you asked if I was heading your way due to "witness protection". (Actually in my case that would be "witless protection). No , I've just been trying to explore as much of the west as I can while I'm living out there. And I noticed that I can stay on the same road, cross one and a half states (OK...one and two half states) I'm in your neck of the woods. So If I pass by (probably going some where else) I'll buy you a beer or three. I have agoal of meeting as many thread brothers as possible.

You could take highway 81 and hit Jeff's place in Kansas, then go past my office here. Just shoot me an e-mail when your ready to make a run and I'll open up the launch control center and scare the rest of the world.

I'll have to check into it. Or turn right at your point and go buy Andre a drink too. So far to go, so many choices". Launch control? I'll bring up some estes rockets and we can use it to attack Canada!

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9843
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 7:40:25 PM   
Historiker

edit - was out of context - but evil as always

< Message edited by Historiker -- 8/16/2012 7:46:27 PM >

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 9844
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 7:54:48 PM   
Dixie

quote:

edit - was out of context - but evil as always

That's not like you German chaps

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9845
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 9:05:02 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Zsssssss time...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 9846
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 9:10:01 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

Sorry I missed your call, Marc. Didn't hear the phone.

Ed-

I was watching a North Dakota Outdoors segment on the news. They were talking about the stocking of salmon on Lake Sakakawea. I remembered you and the boy being in the area. I believe the air force has a rec area down by Garrison in Pick City.
Then one can also swing by Parshall, Hometown of Captain Joseph Enright.

On one of the other threads (which I can't find) you asked if I was heading your way due to "witness protection". (Actually in my case that would be "witless protection). No , I've just been trying to explore as much of the west as I can while I'm living out there. And I noticed that I can stay on the same road, cross one and a half states (OK...one and two half states) I'm in your neck of the woods. So If I pass by (probably going some where else) I'll buy you a beer or three. I have agoal of meeting as many thread brothers as possible.

You could take highway 81 and hit Jeff's place in Kansas, then go past my office here. Just shoot me an e-mail when your ready to make a run and I'll open up the launch control center and scare the rest of the world.

I'll have to check into it. Or turn right at your point and go buy Andre a drink too. So far to go, so many choices". Launch control? I'll bring up some estes rockets and we can use it to attack Canada!

If we could somehow cut off their supply of alcohol, the whole country would collapse in a matter of hours.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9847
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 9:23:59 PM   
Historiker

Simply send me!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 9848
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 9:55:39 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Dear Thread! I was supposed to have a "light day" today. I cant remember the last time I was so busy.

But tomorrow is my last day.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 9849
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 10:45:13 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Yeah, this is about how I feel.

Attachment (1)

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 9850
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 10:46:59 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Steve?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9851
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 10:59:25 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Evidently, theres noody here.

Post #: 9852
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 10:59:49 PM   
Onime No Kyo

This offers some interesting possibilities.

Post #: 9853
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:00:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

I'm just not sure what they are yet.

Post #: 9854
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:00:24 PM   
Onime No Kyo

But if I keep posting....

Post #: 9855
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:00:36 PM   
Onime No Kyo

...I will surely find out.

Post #: 9856
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:01:39 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Most likely it involves some dude coping in and wagging a finger at me.

Post #: 9857
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:01:54 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Like so --->

Post #: 9858
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:02:14 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Of course its possible that everyone is driving home from work...

Post #: 9859
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:02:25 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Or having dinner.....

Post #: 9860
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:02:51 PM   
Onime No Kyo

...or having a meaningful conversation with their loved ones.

Post #: 9861
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:03:11 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Or having a meaningful conversation during dinner....

Post #: 9862
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:03:24 PM   
Onime No Kyo

...which is a terrible habit...

Post #: 9863
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:03:41 PM   
Onime No Kyo

...since you shouldnt talk with your mouth full.

Post #: 9864
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:04:05 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Although I have a harder time listening with my mouth full.

Post #: 9865
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:05:10 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Which is odd, but anyway.

Post #: 9866
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:05:28 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Those people have no sense of priority.

Post #: 9867
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:05:45 PM   
Onime No Kyo

They dont know what is really important.

Post #: 9868
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:05:54 PM   
Onime No Kyo

But I do...

Post #: 9869
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/16/2012 11:06:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

...and that important thing is....

Post #: 9870
Page:   <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  327 328 [329] 330 331   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI