Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  340 341 [342] 343 344   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:56:44 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

1667: James Betts died from asphyxiation after being accidentally sealed in a cupboard by Elizabeth Spencer, at Corpus Christi College, Cambridge in an attempt to hide him from her father, John Spencer.[

Reminds me of a joke (pardon the hasty translation from Russian)

Two guys are standing in line at the gates of heaven, waiting for St. Peter to call them. One of them decides to strike up a conversation.

A: So, how did you die?

B: I was on a business trip but came back early. I walk into the house and find my wife, in bed, naked, and apparently very surprised. I searched the whole house for her lover. I looked in the closet, under the bed, in the shower, on the balcony, but didnt find him. By that time I was so enraged that I suffered a heart attack and died on the spot. How did you die?

A: Well, lets just say that if you had looked in the refrigerator we would both be alive.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 10231
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:58:03 PM   
Historiker

1903: Ed Delahanty, the Hall of Fame outfielder, died under mysterious circumstances when he was swept over Niagara Falls. He was apparently kicked off a train by the train's conductor for being drunk and disorderly. After getting kicked off the train, Delahanty started his way across the International Bridge and fell off the bridge.

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10232
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:58:27 PM   
Historiker

1911: Jasper Newton "Jack" Daniel, a famous American distiller, died from blood poisoning as a result of an infection in one of his toes. The toe became infected after he damaged it while kicking his safe in anger because he could not remember the combination.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10233
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:58:53 PM   
Historiker

1916: Grigori Rasputin, Russian mystic, was reportedly poisoned, shot in the head, shot three more times, bludgeoned, and then thrown into a frozen river after being castrated. When his body washed ashore, an autopsy showed the cause of death to be hypothermia; however, some now doubt the credibility of this account. Another account said that he was poisoned, shot, and stabbed, at which time he got up and ran off – and was later found to have drowned in a frozen river.

Legendary Rasputin...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10234
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:58:55 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

1514: György Dózsa, Székely man-at-arms and peasants' revolt leader in Hungary, was condemned to sit on a red-hot iron throne with a red-hot iron crown on his head and a red-hot sceptre in his hand (mocking his ambition to be king), by Hungarian landed nobility in Transylvania. While Dózsa was still alive, he was set upon and his partially roasted body was eaten by six of his fellow rebels, who had been starved for a week beforehand.

Now that is unique!

It is Transylvania. Those guys have always been rather creative in their punishments.

Like Vlad Tepes Dracul...

My favorite Tepes story was the one about the Turkish ambassadors who refused to remove their turbans in his presence....

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10235
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 9:59:30 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1755: Henry Hall died from injuries he sustained after molten lead fell into his throat while looking up at a burning lighthouse.

That was before police safety barricades.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10236
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:00:18 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1762: Crown Prince Sado, then heir to King Yeongjo of Joseon, was ordered to be sealed alive in a rice chest after his father decided he was unfit to succeed him. He survived inside for 8 days.

Tough love. Where the heck is Joseon? Korea?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10237
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:01:18 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1771: Adolf Frederick, King of Sweden, died of digestion problems on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, smoked herring and champagne, topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: hetvägg served in a bowl of hot milk. He is thus remembered by Swedish schoolchildren as "the king who ate himself to death."

Sauerkraut!

Nothing wrong with that meal...except the herring. Whats hetvagg?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10238
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:02:14 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1514: György Dózsa, Székely man-at-arms and peasants' revolt leader in Hungary, was condemned to sit on a red-hot iron throne with a red-hot iron crown on his head and a red-hot sceptre in his hand (mocking his ambition to be king), by Hungarian landed nobility in Transylvania. While Dózsa was still alive, he was set upon and his partially roasted body was eaten by six of his fellow rebels, who had been starved for a week beforehand.

Now that is unique!

It is Transylvania. Those guys have always been rather creative in their punishments.

Like Vlad Tepes Dracul...

My favorite Tepes story was the one about the Turkish ambassadors who refused to remove their turbans in his presence....

Did he nail them to their heads?

Post #: 10239
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:02:30 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1794: John Kendrick, an American sea captain and explorer, was killed in the Hawaiian Islands when a British ship mistakenly used a loaded cannon to fire a salute to Kendrick's vessel.

Damn powerfull salute!

Heard of that one.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10240
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:02:49 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1762: Crown Prince Sado, then heir to King Yeongjo of Joseon, was ordered to be sealed alive in a rice chest after his father decided he was unfit to succeed him. He survived inside for 8 days.

Tough love. Where the heck is Joseon? Korea?

yep

Post #: 10241
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:03:43 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1771: Adolf Frederick, King of Sweden, died of digestion problems on 12 February 1771 after having consumed a meal of lobster, caviar, sauerkraut, smoked herring and champagne, topped off with 14 servings of his favourite dessert: hetvägg served in a bowl of hot milk. He is thus remembered by Swedish schoolchildren as "the king who ate himself to death."

Sauerkraut!

Nothing wrong with that meal...except the herring. Whats hetvagg?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semla

Post #: 10242
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:04:05 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1816: Gouverneur Morris, an American statesman, died after sticking a piece of whale bone through his urinary tract to relieve a blockage.

Americans...

DIY

Well, there was the Russian doctor who was part of an Arctic expedition in in the 20s or 30s who had to perform an appendectomy on himself with a scalpel, a mirror and a wax candle. And lived to tell about it.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10243
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:04:19 PM   
Historiker

1918: Gustav Kobbé, writer and musicologist, was killed when the sailboat he was on was struck by a landing seaplane off Long Island, New York.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10244
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:04:44 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1830: William Huskisson, statesman and financier, was crushed to death by a locomotive (Stephenson's Rocket), at the public opening of the world's first mechanically powered passenger railway.

Failure to keep a proper distance. Case dismissed.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10245
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:05:52 PM   
Historiker

1919: In the Boston Molasses Disaster, 21 people were killed and 150 were injured when a tank containing as much as 2,300,000 US gal (8,700,000 L) of molasses exploded, sending a wave travelling at approximately 35 mph (56 km/h) through part of Boston, Massachusetts, United States

Steve already told this story. I prefer the death by beer as well

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10246
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:05:59 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1871: Clement Vallandigham, a lawyer and Ohio politician, was demonstrating how a victim may possibly have shot himself while drawing a weapon from a kneeling position when he shot himself in the process. Though the defendant, Thomas MeGehan, was ultimately cleared, Vallandigham died from his wound.

Now that's a good lawyer!

A dead one?

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10247
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:06:52 PM   
Historiker

1920: Dan Andersson, a Swedish author, died of cyanide poisoning while staying at Hotel Hellman in Stockholm. The hotel staff had failed to clear the room after using hydrogen cyanide against bed bugs.

I prefer bites from bed bugs!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10248
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:07:22 PM   
Historiker

1920: Alexander I, King of the Hellenes, was taking a walk in the Royal Gardens, when his dog was attacked by a monkey. The King attempted to defend his dog, receiving bites from both the monkey and its mate. The diseased animals' bites caused sepsis and Alexander died three weeks later.

And again: Monkeys!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10249
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:07:50 PM   
Historiker

1923: Frank Hayes, a jockey at Belmont Park, New York, died of a heart attack during his first race. His mount finished first with his body still attached to the saddle, and he was only discovered to be dead when the horse's owner went to congratulate him.

Now that was a ride...

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10250
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:08:20 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

1903: Ed Delahanty, the Hall of Fame outfielder, died under mysterious circumstances when he was swept over Niagara Falls. He was apparently kicked off a train by the train's conductor for being drunk and disorderly. After getting kicked off the train, Delahanty started his way across the International Bridge and fell off the bridge.

I guess the conductor had a point.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10251
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:09:15 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

1871: Clement Vallandigham, a lawyer and Ohio politician, was demonstrating how a victim may possibly have shot himself while drawing a weapon from a kneeling position when he shot himself in the process. Though the defendant, Thomas MeGehan, was ultimately cleared, Vallandigham died from his wound.

Now that's a good lawyer!

A dead one?

No, regarding the effort he put into defending his client!

Reminds me of something:
"Please don't tell my mum I'm a lawyer. She still thinks I'm the pianist in the local whorehouse!"

< Message edited by Historiker -- 8/18/2012 10:12:43 PM >

Post #: 10252
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:10:25 PM   
Historiker

1923: Martha Mansfield, an American film actress, died after sustaining severe burns on the set of the film The Warrens of Virginia after a smoker's match, tossed by a cast member, ignited her Civil War costume of hoopskirts and ruffles.

Poor women. Dying by suffered burns eem to be one of the worst ways possible to me.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10253
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:10:54 PM   
Historiker

1925: Zishe (Siegmund) Breitbart, a circus strongman and Jewish folklore hero, died after demonstrating he could drive a spike through five one-inch (2.54 cm) thick oak boards using only his bare hands. He accidentally pierced his knee and the rusted spike caused an infection which led to fatal blood poisoning.

I guess showing off a little less sometimes can be healthy!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10254
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:11:15 PM   
Historiker

1926: Phillip McClean, 16, from Queensland, Australia became the only person documented to have been killed by a cassowary. After encountering the bird on their family property near Mossman in April,[68] McClean and his brother decided to kill it with clubs. When McClean struck the bird it knocked him down, then kicked him in the neck, opening a 1.25 cm long cut in one of his main blood vessels. Though the boy managed to get back on his feet and run away, he collapsed a short while later and died from the haemorrhage.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10255
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:11:42 PM   
Historiker

1927: J. G. Parry-Thomas, a Welsh racing driver, was decapitated when his car's drive chain snapped and whipped into the cockpit.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10256
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:12:43 PM   
Historiker

933: Michael Malloy, a homeless man, was murdered by five men in a plot to collect on life insurance policies they had purchased. After surviving multiple poisonings, intentional exposure, and being struck by a car, Malloy succumbed to gassing.

He was also known as "Mike the Durable" and "Iron Mike"

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10257
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:13:18 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

1387: Charles II of Navarre, after having been wrapped in bandages soaked in brandy in an attempt to cure an illness, was burned alive when a servant accidentally set the bandages on fire.

This wouldn't have happend if he had used beer instead!

Yes, but if his clothing was soaked in day-old beer, he would have smelled like a German.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10258
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:14:43 PM   
Historiker

1935: Baseball player Len Koenecke was bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher by the crew of an aircraft he had chartered, after provoking a fight with the pilot while the plane was in the air.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 10259
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/18/2012 10:15:10 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

1387: Charles II of Navarre, after having been wrapped in bandages soaked in brandy in an attempt to cure an illness, was burned alive when a servant accidentally set the bandages on fire.

This wouldn't have happend if he had used beer instead!

Yes, but if his clothing was soaked in day-old beer, he would have smelled like a German.

Prosit!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 10260
Page:   <<   < prev  340 341 [342] 343 344   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  340 341 [342] 343 344   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI