Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Abandoned starbase?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Abandoned starbase? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 1:52:46 AM   
Red_Dwarf

I just started a new game and there is an "abandoned" starbase in a nearby asteroid field. Is there a way of taking it over?
Post #: 1
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 2:50:21 AM   
Nedrear

If it is damaged, did you try to repair it? Actually a very close proximity fly by should do the trick. Just visit it. And I mean "visit" as in crash land.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to Red_Dwarf)
Post #: 2
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 10:34:31 AM   
Red_Dwarf

"Crash land?" Do I send a probe first? All I can see at the start is that it's abandoned and has no fuel etc.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 3
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 10:50:50 AM   
Bingeling

If it is damaged repair it. If it is not damaged, I think any ship can get the "investigate" option on a right click. But it should be enough to send your ship very close to it.

Nothing magic about it...

If it annoys you - destroy it (attack) :)

(in reply to Red_Dwarf)
Post #: 4
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 11:06:18 AM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

If it is damaged repair it. If it is not damaged, I think any ship can get the "investigate" option on a right click. But it should be enough to send your ship very close to it.

Nothing magic about it...

If it annoys you - destroy it (attack) :)

It could be a beacon. You want to visit those (or maybe not, but where is the fun in that )

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 4:39:02 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

Beacons are FUN (in Dwarf Fortress style)

"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 6
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 4:55:45 PM   
Red_Dwarf

Is it colonized like a planet?

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 7
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 10:14:36 PM   
Wild_Bill

RD, I don't think so. I think it's enough to approach or 'investigate' to acquire the base/ship. (Seen any cute Quant ladies lately?)

I add a troop compartment to all my explorers and construction ships to have a ready made crew for any abandoned/repaired bases or ships.

Now if there is a way to acquire a Pirate Base when I attack it, I'd like to know the trick. Currently if I attack it, even if I stop before it's destroyed, I can't take it over to repair it. I only get Pirate Bases when the little parasites come over to my side.

(in reply to Red_Dwarf)
Post #: 8
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/4/2012 11:35:36 PM   
Red_Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild_Bill

RD, I don't think so. I think it's enough to approach or 'investigate' to acquire the base/ship. (Seen any cute Quant ladies lately?)

I tried that with my default probe and nothing changed.

How do you add a troop compartment to a probe?

(in reply to Wild_Bill)
Post #: 9
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 2:07:14 AM   
Wild_Bill

I'm not sure what you are calling a 'probe'. I was referring to an Exploration ship. In the Ship Design I just added a 'Troop Compartment', then have it 'load troops from nearest colony' before sending it out.

(in reply to Red_Dwarf)
Post #: 10
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 2:07:26 AM   
Bingeling

From hazy memory.

Star bases that you find can be repaired and will become one of your bases if you repair/approach it. Nothing fancy needed. They work the same as random ships appearing that you can take over. These can be mining bases, monitoring stations, or mostly "junk". If anything near tight on cash, it is probably a good idea to scrap them as soon as you get control of them, as they require maintenance.

When you kill a pirate base, you can get a reward. One of these is that a nearby pirate group surrenders. You get control of their base and their ships. No action require other than that I usually scrap the base and retire the ships... Or keep the base if it is at a fuel source, which basically makes it an armed mining base potentially in a handy position a bit away from your home areas. Just don't ever expect a base in the middle of nowhere being able to use its construction yard for anything, like retire those pesky pirate ships you inherited. They will be stuck in a queue there "forever".

(in reply to Red_Dwarf)
Post #: 11
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 2:10:15 AM   
Bingeling

The only use for a troop compartment is to transport troops around to either rearrange your troop distribution (transport from colony to colony) or to invade a foreign colony.

They have nothing to do with derelict bases and ships lying around.

I can not think of a situation where troop compartments in the exploration ships make much sense.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 12
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 3:05:03 AM   
Wild_Bill

So who crews the abandoned ships and bases you find?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 13
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 3:22:43 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

So who crews the abandoned ships and bases you find?

Hello Wild_Bill;

Imagine that on the abandoned ships/bases there are crews that are found in stasis.

Sooner or later you will (if you haven't yet) find colony ships that once scanned (discovered)
will awaken their crew out of stasis and you gain possession of the ship. It's this same
type of thing with bases.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 9/5/2012 3:26:33 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Wild_Bill)
Post #: 14
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 3:23:58 AM   
Dracus

The ships, mines and bases don't really have a crew count on them. The only thing that shows a count is the resort bases and those are just the visitors.

Having a crew count would change things, your ships would have to return to recrew as crew was killed or transfered to the bases. Crew killing weapons that leave a ship to be captured could also be added. SE had crew counts.

(in reply to Wild_Bill)
Post #: 15
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 3:27:12 AM   
Wild_Bill

Okay thanks guys. (shuffles off to re-modify Explorer and Construction ships to eliminate un-needed Troop Compartments).

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 16
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 3:28:28 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

Okay thanks guys. (shuffles off to re-modify Explorer and Construction ships to eliminate un-needed Troop Compartments).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Wild_Bill)
Post #: 17
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 5:15:41 AM   
Algon

Semi-related, I wish there was a way to tell whether the ship/base is intact but abandoned, or whether it needs repairs as well, without testing with a flyby first.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 18
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 8:04:20 AM   
Arcatus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Algon

Semi-related, I wish there was a way to tell whether the ship/base is intact but abandoned, or whether it needs repairs as well, without testing with a flyby first.

If there is holes in it - it needs repair.

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 19
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 8:06:40 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Algon

Hello Algon, it is.

1. Zoom your map on the ship or base.
2. In the lower left selection panel along the right side select the icon for the construction ship
(it should bring up any construction ship you have in the selection window)
3. Now move your mouse cursor over the ship or base.
4. If the cursor turns into a 'hammer', then the base or ship needs repair to become operational
again and for you to possess it. If the cursor remains an arrow, then you need to send an exploration
ship to it to 'investigate' it, which then gives you control of the ship or base.

Hope this clarifies things for you!

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 9/5/2012 8:07:51 AM >

(in reply to Algon)
Post #: 20
RE: Abandoned starbase? - 9/5/2012 8:20:43 AM   
Algon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arcatus
If there is holes in it - it needs repair.

That makes sense. But it can be difficult (at least for me) to see whether it has holes, or whether it's just the graphic style

@ ehsumrell1 - thanks, but I should have clarified - I know that I can do that, but I was wishing for an 'at a glance' method without having to select anything else. I guess selecting a construction ship isn't exactly too onerous, but...

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Abandoned starbase? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI