Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 2/1/2001 1:27:00 PM   
Fuerte2

quote:

Originally posted by Brent: That is not a bug, it is part of C & C. When an objective has been set for a unit. The movweement only shows the forward radius if it is poined towards the objective. You need to change the objective or C &C off to not have the movment radius limited.
No, IT IS A BUG! I am speaking about RECON units! They can move anywhere, no need to set the objective. And the movement radius is not displayed correctly ONLY WHEN CLICKING THE RECON UNIT FOR THE FIRST TIME! If you click if for the second time, or if you set the focus to it with the N or P keys, then it works. Got it? Try it with the tutorial scenario if you wish, C&C on.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 31
- 2/1/2001 1:38:00 PM   
Fuerte2

quote:

Originally posted by jorlando: So a workaround to the problem with passwords when a new version is released is to play WITHOUT passwords and when you send your files to your opponent you can zip them with password...
Not a solution. The idea in secure PBEM is to make sure that the other player does not (even accidentally) see your turn. SPWAW has gone further... it even checks that the EXE and OOBs are the same. This is a problem, because it prevents upgrading to a newer version. PBEM games can take very long (even several months) to complete. That's why I didn't start PBEM games with 4.5 because 4.6 was supposed to be released a week ago. Now the release date has slipped to 5.0, two months further. There is a simple solution: Add an option to 5.0 to ignore EXE/OOB check when loading a turn. This would take about 1 hour to implement (compare it to the BIG feature which takes two months). If Matrix would do it, then I could finally start playing again, no need to worry about versions. Compare this with the Combat Mission. We played two PBEM games while the version was updated several times, even beta versions. The problem is that SPWAW does a bit too much.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 32
- 2/1/2001 1:42:00 PM   
Randy

A "Blast from the past" That could mean WWI stuff! Or, maybe the game will revert back to a board game!? Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be good!!! Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 33
- 2/1/2001 9:58:00 PM   
Charles22

Fuerte2: I wrote to "Fuerte" earlier and apparently you're the same person, so please refer to my post addressed to "Fuerte", which describes this recon problem. As well, from what I mentioned earlier I thought of a couple of things, one of them quite basic, in that the unit must not be in a defensive status, but also one a little more tricky, in that if you now pick a light tank platoon for the Germans, there is a mixture of units, unlike before, and perhaps other nations have this problem as well. What I refer to, is if you buy the German light tank platoon, you will notice it's a recon formation, but the problem comes when the tanks aren't all one type, in other words, all the tanks aren't recon. The PZIIC is NOT recon, for some reason, even though it was before, so if you buy a platoon with a lead PZIIC and PZIB subordinates, you end up with the goofy dilemma of when the units are in attack status, with no objective selected, that the lead tank shows no movement radius, while the subordinates do. If you did select objectives and are in attack status, with such a mixed bunch, the lead will show an objective (since it currently non-recon type) while the subordinates will not. So, when you're faced with such a situation, you HAVE TO give the platoon an objective so that the PZIIC can go anywhere without using orders. Ever since this tank has taken on the loss of the recon status, I've made my platoon nothing but PZIBs, so that I don't have to keep dealing with the conflict between non-recon and recon in the same platoon. For pure recon platoons, such as commandos or scouts, I've never had a problem with the loss of movement radius, as long as I didn't put them in defend status and made sure to also not give them objectives. Oh, I see now that you DO understand this, as I indeed do scroll through units with the N and P keys. Do you regularly play all your units by clicking instead of scrolling through? I hope not, it would seem a bit tedious, but then again I know how you have to play that way when things start getting in a confined area. Maybe the game should have an option to scroll with the N and P sort of thing, with recon units specifically, so you could get them out of the way easily, if the single-click method isn't going to work? Of course, if that's a good idea, I would like an Alt-N and Alt-P sort of thing, to scroll through all foot units and sso on. Maybe shift-N and shift-P for self-propelled units. [This message has been edited by Charles22 (edited February 01, 2001).]

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 34
- 2/1/2001 11:59:00 PM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: Maybe the game should have an option to scroll with the N and P sort of thing, with recon units specifically, so you could get them out of the way easily, if the single-click method isn't going to work?
It would be easier to fix the bug. If someone is still wondering what I am talking about do the following test: 1) Start SPWAW 2) Make sure that C&C is on 3) Solitaire play 4) Start (Tutorial) 5) Continue 6) Start turn 7) The focus is on the headquarter unit A0. The movement radius for that unit is displayed correctly, because it is a recon unit too (even if it does NOT have an objective). 8) Now click on the recon unit D0 on the right. Nothing happens. It does not display the movement radius. It should. 9) Now click D0 for the second time. Now the radius is displayed correctly.

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 35
- 2/1/2001 11:59:00 PM   
Paul Vebber

OK - the idea allow a player to "igonore secutity" to shift to a new version is a good idea... I will see if we can at least do that :-)

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 36
- 2/2/2001 1:47:00 AM   
Fuerte

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: OK - the idea allow a player to "igonore secutity" to shift to a new version is a good idea... I will see if we can at least do that :-)
Thanks... Have my fingers crossed!

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 37
- 2/3/2001 10:06:00 AM   
Nikademus

Zecret planning eh? would it maybe include a graphical enhancement? say....a dimmed battlefield to reflect night-time engagements??

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 38
- 2/3/2001 10:10:00 AM   
Bing

Over at Tankhead's site I see that ver 5.0 will be a "big" download. Can anyone tell us just how big? Less than 100 Megs? I hope not, but understand a lot of changes are being incorporated. I'll live to tell about it either way, would like to know however. Thanks, Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 39
- 2/3/2001 10:30:00 AM   
Tankhead

Hello Bing! Where do you see this on my site I posted the stuff and I don't see anything about the size of the download. The rest of the news as not been confirm yet. Just want to make sure unless I mist something about the size of the download. It is going to be 700megs LOL Just kidding. Tankhead
quote:

Originally posted by Bing: Over at Tankhead's site I see that ver 5.0 will be a "big" download. Can anyone tell us just how big? Less than 100 Megs? I hope not, but understand a lot of changes are being incorporated. I'll live to tell about it either way, would like to know however. Thanks, Bing
------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://members.tripod.com/tankhead__1

Tankhead

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 40
- 2/3/2001 12:16:00 PM   
Randy

This might sound like a dumb question, but what determines the patch number (ie 4.5, 4.6,4.7, vs 5.0)? Why not just continue with 4.6, and make that the big download? Thanks Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 41
- 2/3/2001 1:12:00 PM   
Bing

Tank - "We understand this is a LARGE download but we feel you will find it worth your time." Right after the lead paragrpah (in red typeface) and just below David Heath's name. Maybe this statement doesn't belong to the lead paragraph? Sure looks like it does! Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 42
- 2/3/2001 1:22:00 PM   
Tankhead

Hi Bing! Oops I better fix that. It doesn't belong with the lead paragraph. It goes with the major download for the complete game. Thanks for pointing this out. Tankhead
quote:

Originally posted by Bing: Tank - "We understand this is a LARGE download but we feel you will find it worth your time." Right after the lead paragrpah (in red typeface) and just below David Heath's name. Maybe this statement doesn't belong to the lead paragraph? Sure looks like it does! Bing
------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://members.tripod.com/tankhead__1

Tankhead

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 43
- 2/3/2001 1:43:00 PM   
Bing

Tank - Once you started annotating the new material with posting dates - an excellent idea, BTW - I got used to it. About the third time I looked at the lead para, though, I was beginning to think maybe the second para DIDN"T go with it. Back to the point of this exercise: Anybody have ANY idea how big the v5.0 d/l will be? Bing

(in reply to Silvarius)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI