Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 11/18/2012 5:50:43 PM   
Blueberry

Haree78,

To be honest I am not particularly the very first guy to jump on a mod for my gaming (ie: don't use mods much) but your stuff is good, laddy. Thanks.

Any chance to update galactopedia and add some entries for the new guys? Playing with max races on slow tech and huge map. Love the photos. Make them look different. To be quite frank, I do prefer your mod's style to the original cartoony look. Makes the game bit...darker... more fun. Once again, well done.

Waiting for eve now. We'll see.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 91
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 11/18/2012 7:52:18 PM   
Haree78

Thanks a lot Blueberry. The point of this mod was to be more like an expansion, a mod for people who don't normally use mods!

I've looked in to the Galactopedia. It's not possible to edit the menu bar that shows entries in the Galactopedia on the right. The Screen and the menu options are part of the application not the .mht files. Believe me I tried. The best I've seen is Darkspire has managed to turn the Galactopedia entries in to HTML and have a little browser in the left window with the entries repeated there. Doesn't look great though and would confuse a new user.
The best I could do is change the images the race entries use to be the ones the mod uses but it's a fair amount of effort for half the job. And also I have never managed to use relative paths for the images so it would be specific for being installed in certain location on a certain drive

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 92
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 11/27/2012 2:05:37 AM   
Dracus

Did you remove some of the races from the last mod cuase it seems to me that some pics are no longer there.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 93
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 11/27/2012 2:09:38 AM   
Haree78

No, the original races are still in the mod but with a new look. There are 7 new races in the version 1.1 and version 2.0.1 has brings the total of new races to 16. However in bringing all the race art in to a more consistent art style I also changed the appearance of the original new races from the 1.1 version.

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 94
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 11/27/2012 2:25:39 AM   
Dracus

Cool I will check it out, I am a big fan of your mod as I do like that a planet will show troop designs of the race those troops are made of and such.

< Message edited by Dracus -- 11/28/2012 12:38:47 AM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 95
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 11/28/2012 1:35:18 AM   
Haree78

Oh then you may be slightly disappointed :(
In going to 2.0 I changed the appearance of all races and in doing so the troop images just didn't look right any more so I have removed them from the mod. They are all using the base tank image for now.

If you are so inclined you are able to copy each race_0.png for all 38 races in to the troop images folder and rename each file from race_ to troop_ leaving the proceeding number. Use the one that doesn't have the a on the end, so race_0.png not race_0a.png.
This would mean your troops would use the image of the race and be slightly more aesthetically pleasing.

(in reply to Dracus)
Post #: 96
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 12/5/2012 6:55:55 PM   
Apheirox

Haree, Hello. I thought I already did, but I apparently never got around to saying thank you for your huge effort here! This goes to you other contributors to this mod as well, of course!

Like Blueberry above I'm one of the 'don't really use mods' people. I found 1.1 to be so exceptionally good, however, that I now load up Extended whenever I want to play DW. The professionalism is just impressive throughout. Downloading 2.0.1 now and expecting to be further impressed!

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 97
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 12/6/2012 8:12:14 AM   
Haree78

Thank you Apheirox, means a lot :)
If you do get a chance then I'd love to hear how your games go, what you enjoyed or didn't.

(in reply to Apheirox)
Post #: 98
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/9/2012 6:38:27 PM   
Ponicus

Wow, this is amazing. Like you said, this is not a mod, its an outright expansion. The quality of this mod is excellent and very professional. Original artwork, unique shipsets, flavor text... this is the real deal. This could be released by CodeForce/Matrix and no one would know it's a fan-made mod.

It's my take on it that most of the races you added are more aggressive to add more challenge to the game. I'd like to see a few additional balanced races which are capable of war but favor also building infrastructure and economy. If any of the new ones fit that bill please tell me which ones would fit that playstyle.

Thanks for the great work.

(in reply to Blueberry)
Post #: 99
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/10/2012 5:20:53 PM   
Haree78

Thanks very much Ponicus.
Not sure what you are asking? Do you mean sort of all rounders? Like the Humans/XHumans? I would say the Lipids are like this, the Visareen, Entons and perhaps the Caleph. Each of them has a different bias, more aggressive or more cooperative, but they are all kind of in the middle in terms of play style, not extreme in either direction.

(in reply to Ponicus)
Post #: 100
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/10/2012 9:17:00 PM   
Bingeling

Having played the opening stages in my AAR, I really enjoy the mod. Meeting the new races makes things less predictable, especially since I have no clue what they are about.

I doubt I will disable the mod any time soon.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 101
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/11/2012 12:34:18 AM   
Haree78

Thanks Bingeling, still following your AAR, keep it up, I'm enjoying your struggle

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 102
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/11/2012 1:22:48 AM   
Baleur

Slight problem, the new races dont have any dialogue in diplomacy? I just get "..." for everything except very basic things like "We accept."

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 103
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/11/2012 1:24:13 AM   
Haree78

Nope, that's just the Lemeresh, they sometimes don't even speak to you :)

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 104
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/11/2012 4:15:08 PM   
Baleur

Ah! That was their name! :)
I must say this mod is astonighingly well put together. But due to personal preference i removed the sluken, boskara and (that other insectoid that isnt gizureans) race pictures.
I found them to be of as high quality as the other race pictures and they fit very well, but they sort of remove the entire "zerg" feeling from the insectoid races.
There are already so many humanoid race pictures, i prefer to keep the insectoids as insectoid as possible, instead of just humans with funny faces (the star trek syndrome).
Are they set in stone or is there a chance you'd eventually come across more "insecty-disgusting-spidery" artwork that better reflects their race in terms of lore?

< Message edited by Baleur -- 12/11/2012 4:16:36 PM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 105
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/11/2012 4:20:29 PM   
Haree78

Thanks Baleur.
Yes I know what you mean some lost their very insecty looking nature. But I figured something that evolved to our level of intelligence and ability to use tools from much closer Insect origins might not look quite so insecty :)
If I find some artwork that fits the rest of the art well and looks better then yes I'm likely to change them or to at least provide an optional part of the mod for more disgusting insectoids. Finding good art that matches the theme is difficult though.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 106
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/12/2012 11:45:42 AM   
Bingeling

Could the mod be to blame for poor AI management of ship design sizes?

Numbers from memory. 400 size is max.

Destroyers are around 330.
Cruisers around 450-460.

Carriers are just above the 600 size max.

I seem to remember the AI creating small cruisers in previous games (quite some time ago). With 330 size destroyers, there is a room for a 400 size cruiser with for instance hyper deny or fleet tools. Or with just a few more blasters and maybe a reactor (not sure what the reactor size is).

And running carrier designs at 602 and 626 (or thereabouts) is just silly.

So, is the problem in the Yor policy files, or is the problem in the current Distant Worlds? I am way less annoyed by missing cruisers, than missing carriers after researching the tech :)

I think you might know if the mod is possibly to blame or not without checking too much.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 107
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/12/2012 2:02:32 PM   
Haree78

There is nothing about the mod that should cause it. The Yor even use standard ship sizes in their race file, not that that should affect anything.
It's possible that the fix for ship sizes doesn't work for modded races? It's not something I've been looking out for. I would have to test whether this is a problem for all races first to try and put my finger on it.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 108
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/12/2012 3:45:27 PM   
Bingeling

It cleared itself before I got larger size. I am not sure if it needed a kick redesigning once carrier tech was available, or if there was smaller tech incoming that solved it. For instance, switching to a smaller reactor works a charm.

I remember before the size fitting were introduced... The Cruiser design being buildable once in a while, like quite early before gadgets were researched and such.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 109
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/12/2012 3:57:39 PM   
Haree78

Yeah I've experienced the same thing, I'm pretty sure it doesn't instantly redesign as soon as new tech is available, it will do it fairly often though.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 110
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/12/2012 6:00:41 PM   
Baleur

I also noticed iffy ship designs and "broken" empire policies when using this race mod (didnt notice it before i started using this though, but it might have been a bug introduced in the latest patch instead, i don't know).

All ships had no armor, no shields, and even no weapons upon starting a new game.. No joke. (Gizureans)
Furthermore, in the empire policy screen, all the ship design emphasis was set to "NONE".

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 111
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/12/2012 6:08:39 PM   
Haree78

Have you tried to replicate this?
What version of Distant Worlds are you using?
This isn't an issue with this mod, I have just created a new game as Gizzies and all is fine.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 112
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/12/2012 8:01:51 PM   
Baleur

Nope it's the same without the mod. Must be some issue with my installation =/

Edit: nevermind, it was this issue related to non-uk keyboards: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3230362&mpage=1&key=�

< Message edited by Baleur -- 12/12/2012 9:32:38 PM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 113
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/13/2012 12:42:16 AM   
Suikostinger

Weird question......

Is there a spreadsheet out there of all the races, their characteristics and bonuses so that it will be easier to pick exactly what race I want to play as and against? That includes the races that came with the game and the ones you made? I've looked and can't seem to find any. Also didn't mean for that to be a replay to Baleur.

< Message edited by Suikostinger -- 12/13/2012 12:47:22 AM >

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 114
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/13/2012 1:08:29 AM   
Haree78

What would the spreadsheet show?
Simply selecting them in the race selection part of the game shows everything you talk about.

(in reply to Suikostinger)
Post #: 115
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/13/2012 8:19:37 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

I also noticed iffy ship designs and "broken" empire policies when using this race mod (didnt notice it before i started using this though, but it might have been a bug introduced in the latest patch instead, i don't know).

All ships had no armor, no shields, and even no weapons upon starting a new game.. No joke. (Gizureans)
Furthermore, in the empire policy screen, all the ship design emphasis was set to "NONE".

This is a 1.7.16 critical bug of DW that for some reason is not fixed.

The problem is in policy file (either race or policy folder), a text file containing numbers.

Those numbers are given as 2.0.
In many countries (even England it may seem), Windows thinks that is a string of text, and that a number is typed as 2,0.

What you have to do is one of two:

1: Replace ass . with , in those files (Notepad++ query/replace "only" require 20 repetitions).
2: Go into windows regional settings, and in a subwindows change the decimal separator from , to .

It is an issue with no weapons on anything. Which makes wars rather troop focused, and space monsters a massive pest. Maybe carriers works, and ion weapons are mounted, though.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 116
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released - 12/14/2012 11:58:40 PM   
Baleur

Yeah had to do exactly that.
And to think all these issues could be resolved if the standard text file coding was Unicode.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 117
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 12/17/2012 9:49:34 PM   
Haree78

I've uploaded a small patch to fix the Lemeresh behaviour. There is a problem with the AI with the way it was handling this race which has been reported. This update will change their behaviour to work around the AI issue.

The patch will only work with new games.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 118
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 12/18/2012 10:48:46 AM   
Bingeling

Haree, do you control the two colors used for empires on the galaxy map? I have no complete listing of all races, but from my AAR game:

For most empires the colonies are clearly visible.

For the Yor (purple) it requires good imagination to see them on my screen.
For the Mortalen (dark red), it is hard, but possible to see the colonies.
For the Whatevers (Dark blues), it is also hard.
For the Dark Greens (visera?), it is a tad easier, but quite hard.
For the red-purple-whatever (Naxilians) it is also quite hard to see.
For most others it is easy to see colonies and trade lines.

Do you control this "second" color? It would help to brighten the galaxy map secondary a bit to have colonies and trade lines step forward a bit. But only for those that are unclear today, of course.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 119
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 12/18/2012 1:11:10 PM   
Haree78

I give each race a unique primary and secondary colour combination. Unfortunately there is only about as many colours as the original races and the game assigns unique primary colours to each. When several races use the same primary the game really starts mixing up who uses what in an almost random fashion. When it changes Gizzureans to blue it doesn't check if Securans are in the game so it should choose a different colour for example, it will just change Securans to a different colour as well.
The secondary colour's only effect is the colour of the icon on the flag, it doesn't affect the Galaxy map.

The only thing I have real control of is the flag image which I have given uniquely to each race.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended 1.1 released Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI