Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/25/2012 3:30:41 PM   
obvert

21 March 1942
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay. I've been sitting on this turn for a day and a half now, not doing much. One because I have been busy. Two, because I'm still sifting through the units, timing and goals I had envisioned for the final week of the landing bonus and working out if I'm going to meet the deadline. I'll go through the recent turn and see what I can do tonight to send the turn back and get it rolling again.

SUBS: The I-5 gets a bit too close to PH and nearly gets hit twice by a group of US DDs. I'll move it back to more distant waters as it's really only here as a watchdog. Some of the ASW TFs in the Java strait hit subs at last. The KXIV took 4 hits and a US sub took a few more.

DEI: The division walking to Palembang will cross to Praboemoelih tomorrow, shocking over the river. The Dutch at Palembang are down to just around 700 AV after today's shelling. Lautern falls, and now troops will be sent to Koepang. Got a 1:2 setback at Batavia. I may have to shock here. Crap troops, so once I get a positive adjustment, they should collapse.

CHINA: Some Lilys and Sonias hit troops retreated to Henyang. This was the only action in the area after the massive battles of the past few days. Allied fighters have moved back to Tuyun and Kweilin. Chinese troops in Changsha are showing movement to Changteh, retreating from the 2k AV in the hex with them.

Interestingly, something looks to be moving from Henyang toward troops I have across the river. This is either a suicide trying to get shattered corps to re-spawn in Chungking or some kind of a blind hope that he can overwhelm my rear guard, which happen to be a fresh division and brigade just moving into the area. I can also move another couple units from Changsha in here before he can cross, so I'm pretty confused as to what he is hoping to accomplish with this. Maybe it's just a diversion.

I'll be resting troops in Siantang for another 1-2 days and then moving into Henyang with a sizable army of 2200-2500k AV.

Around Sian I have over 3k AV at the roadblock against his 2k AV, and I'll DA in the next few days. Armor is trying to move around to the north of Sian onto the road to Lanchow.

PI: Just bombing bases here.

PACIFIC: No movements.

BURMA: Almost a whole regiment is in Bassein now. Troops on ships are on the way to Rangoon. I'll be sending a few TFs to Tavoy to pick up a regiment and two tank units to try for Port Blair. Not sure I can make it in time. If not, then it'll have to wait. The KB is moving to Georgetown now. Kates sighted and attacked AP Meijer to the SW of Sabang and are reported to have hit the ship twice during the search phase. I hope this looks like planes from Georgetown or another land base and not the KB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR Mar 21, 42
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Palembang (48,91)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 36169 troops, 668 guns, 208 vehicles, Assault Value = 1036

Defending force 24258 troops, 342 guns, 139 vehicles, Assault Value = 729

Japanese ground losses:
13 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
223 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 25 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Ground combat at Lautem (72,115)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 2403 troops, 24 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 94

Defending force 717 troops, 26 guns, 20 vehicles, Assault Value = 25

Japanese adjusted assault: 28

Allied adjusted defense: 7

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Lautem !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
36 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
81 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 20 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 12 (12 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 13 (12 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Units retreated 2

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
41st Guard Battalion
Maizuru 2nd SNLF

Defending units:
2/4 MG Battalion
2nd KNIL AA Battalion

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Attacking force 14019 troops, 153 guns, 93 vehicles, Assault Value = 469

Defending force 8739 troops, 77 guns, 31 vehicles, Assault Value = 75

Japanese adjusted assault: 143

Allied adjusted defense: 187

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
33 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
122 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 28 disabled

Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Assaulting units:
38th Division
53rd Naval Guard Unit
25th Army
15th Army
17th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
Afdeling Ritman
Tjilatjap KNIL Bn /2
ML-KNIL
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
Roodenburg Battalion
1st KNIL Landstorm Battalion
Merak Base Force
ABDA
KNIL Army Command
Semarang Base Force
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
Kalidjati Base Force
Batavia Base Force
Bandoeng Base Force
Loemafjang Base Force
Malang Base Force
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

IJAAF transport planes have been key so far in these early days in I also have Lilys flying supply to troops in the forests while the dedicated transport planes ferry troops.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 10/25/2012 3:32:07 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 421
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/25/2012 4:00:05 PM   
JocMeister

Are you going to try and do a landing behind the lines in Burma?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 422
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/25/2012 5:28:13 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Are you going to try and do a landing behind the lines in Burma?

More like within the lines. At Rangoon.

If I go farther forward I risk too much his CV planes being offloaded and having all kinds of fun hitting the KB, as it is now. Recon show good troop counts at Akyab and Chittagong as well. I still am at risk in Rangoon, but at least there is my LBA close by as well, and better recon of what is coming. He has 1k AV at Moulmein, and if I can get behind that I have a good chance to do well there.

I also would risk a CV engagement right now, as the KB is as strong as I can make it, and the US CVs still don't have Avengers if they are around the IO. The Brits have Fulmars and scant attack planes. So if he goes for the landing, it'll be interesting.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 423
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/26/2012 4:00:10 PM   
obvert

BURMA

Here is a shot of the Burma area now.

Ive got a few troops still holding out in the woods on the rail line near Toungou. Another paradrop has almost a full regiment one hex from Rangoon at Bassein. Also the 14th tank regiment is holding the rail line next to Lashio and he's made no move to get them off of it.

He's got 30 fighters at Lashio, and a bunch that look to be coming back from a foray in China. I've got one large 45 plane zero group here, plus a few smaller Oscar groups. A bunch of transports are flying troops and supply to the troops.

Operation Python is forming and moving up the straits toward Georgetown supported by two SAGs and the KB. I'll attempt to land at Rangoon. If it looks to hairy to get that far my other options are Moulmein and Tavoy. I'd also like to get troops on Port Blair before the landing bonus expires. US CVs are most assuredly in the area. Will he come for me?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 424
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 10/29/2012 4:53:27 PM   
obvert

NEW DEVELOPMENTS

Torsten is still traveling in the states. He loves it there and is enjoying the travel, but is also attempting to prepare for and find out about PHD programs. So our turns will likely be very sporadic until early December. He says his laptop isn't in top shape either which has inhibited him doing more while he's been there.

Anyway, a bit frustrating, but life comes before games, and he is a young man with much to do and plan for in the near future. We'll see how it goes when he is back. I was just starting to feel like I knew what was going on again, but I'll have to do another catch up in a month or so I guess. It's such an interesting game I certainly don't want to give it up if he has interest, but at some point I also do want to take on a game as the Allies.

My other game with JockMeister should keep me plenty busy for now anyway.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 425
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/16/2012 9:04:39 PM   
obvert

BACK IN EUROPE

Torsten has returned, and posted a new turn last week. It took me a few days to see it as he didn't send a message until several days later, then it took another few to get time to dig in and really sort out what I was trying to do again. I sent it back yesterday and now feel like I have a handle on things.

I got a message today from T saying he wouldn't have time to do anything with it until next weekend. So another long hiatus I'll have to catch up from. I have a feeling this one will slowly peter out. Too bad.

I may be wrong though, and I'll keep doing turns as I get them. We'll see.

I won't do a report for a while on the game until I feel it is moving forward again.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 426
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/17/2012 12:53:43 PM   
Crackaces

You have demonstrated exterme preseverence and dedication to this game from day one. It is sad that your opponent has not shown the same respect. Histoker was very fortunate to find a JFB as yourself as I read AAR's and find the JFB who plays the game until fortune turns and then they disappear. You held strong despite the turn of events.

The good news is that you have a great game going with Joe! I follow both AAR's religiously.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 427
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 12/17/2012 1:20:06 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

You have demonstrated exterme preseverence and dedication to this game from day one. It is sad that your opponent has not shown the same respect. Histoker was very fortunate to find a JFB as yourself as I read AAR's and find the JFB who plays the game until fortune turns and then they disappear. You held strong despite the turn of events.

The good news is that you have a great game going with Joe! I follow both AAR's religiously.

Thanks. He may still come around, but if it doesn't get to the 2-3 turns a week average it will be tough to keep going.

I'm still really curious how some things in this one will turn out. Part of why we play (it seems) is to imagine scenarios where different choices or circumstances led to a completely different path to the conflict. This one is truly a different beast. I am not sure the IJ can get enough to fight long, but it's fun to scratch and claw without the dominance of the full KB.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 428
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/13/2013 3:24:06 PM   
obvert

22 March 1942

Some new turns have arrived in the past few days. We exchanged about two in the past month, then I got one on the 12th and after that another two during the last day. There are some interesting things going on, and either that has perked up Torsten's interest again, or he simply has found some time.

I'll give a brief overview with this for this turn before launching into Operation Python.

SUBS: The Allied subs are still very active. Several are moving in the area near the Malayan coast. All interactions prove futile for both sides currently.

DEI: The siege of Batavia continues. I'm bringing an armor regiment and another naval guard by rail. IJN bombers also hit the fields resulting in enough damage to keep forts from building. Bombers also hit Palembang fields and troops at Praboemoelih preparing for the shock attack of the 5th division. This results in a 45:1 and a shattering of small Dutch units in the base. This division will split into parts and move into Palembang.

CHINA: Armor moves toward Shaoyang. I hope to push here toward Chikhiang. If I can get an Army up to take that base, the whole Southern are of China will be in trouble. Right now it looks like he has 12k troops there. About 200-300 AV at most I would guess. The Sian area is a bit of a stalemate, but I'm bringing more in to see what they can do.

PI: Everything is stuck at Clark. I have only a holding force here until th eDEI is finished. The bombers hit Bataan and Clark daily and keep 10-20 damage on the fields consistently.

PACIFIC: Some small units are moving to take bases in the Solomons and Coral Sea area before the deadline is up. Not much else happening.

BURMA: The IJA units near Toungoo continue to hold. Looks like he's got more coming this way to try to dislodge them. I also have a block on the rail one hex SW of Lashio. I'm thinking he doesn't have enough there to fight, so he has left me with occasional forays from P-39s on bombing runs.

Rangoon is kept damaged, and about 1k AV of Alied troops are stationary at Moulmein.

Operation Python moves forward with transports flooding ahead toward Thailand and the Burmese border area. The KB is topping up on A6M2 at Georgetown. I have just enough to fill out the groups, plus one extra on Akagi. This is a bare-bones KB, but I have to use what I have. It should be another 4-5 turns before landings at Rangoon. I have several regiments, tank units, and the Imperial Guards division on the way. About 1200 AV I think if it all makes it in.

The goal here is two-fold. Firstly to trap Allied troops at Moulmein and cut the rail before they can move out. I should be able to slow them by bombing once the landings commence. I'd like to use the regiment at Bassein to move toward Prome and block that escape route and hopefully the troops on the line near Toungoo will hold out there until this all gets in motion. Secondly, I'd like to entice the Allied fleets to sortie. I won't get a better chance to fight the US CVs, and he could be over-confident at this point. There are two strong SAGs moving with the KB and several ASW TFs. It'll be interesting at least.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 22, 42

Morning Air attack on Batavia , at 49,98

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
5 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 10

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Palembang , at 48,91

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 5 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 37
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 8 damaged

Allied ground losses:
4 casualties reported

Runway hits 8

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on 224 Group RAF , at 48,92 (Praboemoelih)

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 3 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
65 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 12000 feet
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Attacking force 36254 troops, 670 guns, 208 vehicles, Assault Value = 1046

Defending force 24139 troops, 341 guns, 139 vehicles, Assault Value = 714

Japanese ground losses:
16 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
219 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 22 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
65th Brigade
33rd Division
4th Division
Yokosuka 4th SNLF
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
1st RF Gun Battalion
56th Field Artillery Regiment
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
5th Mortar Battalion
55th Mountain Gun Regiment
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
3rd Mortar Battalion
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Mortar Battalion
21st Medium Field Artillery Battalion

Defending units:
1st Regt Cavalerie
1st KNIL Regiment
2nd KNIL Landstorm Battalion
3rd KNIL Landstorm Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
Zuid KNIL Battalion
West Borneo KNIL Battalion
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
Riouw KNIL Battalion
4th KNIL Regiment
Padang Garrison Battalion
4th KNIL Landstorm Battalion
Barisan KNIL Regiment
Tapanoeli Gsn Battalion
SE Borneo KNIL Battalion
Marinier Battalion
6th KNIL Regiment
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
2/15 Punjab Battalion
Bengkalis Base Force
Padang Base Force
Palembang Base Force
Pakanbaroe Det.
Bintan Det. Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
6th Heavy AA Regiment

Ground combat at Praboemoelih (48,92)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 13464 troops, 123 guns, 68 vehicles, Assault Value = 477

Defending force 2857 troops, 33 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 48

Japanese adjusted assault: 496

Allied adjusted defense: 11

Japanese assault odds: 45 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Praboemoelih !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
147 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
680 casualties reported
Squads: 35 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 35 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 18 (14 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (4 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Units retreated 8

Assaulting units:
5th Division

Defending units:
So.Sumatra Garrison Battalion
Singkawang Base Force
Teloekbetoeng Base Force
Djambi Base Force
2 ML-KNIL Aviation
224 Group RAF
Sambas Base Force
106th RN Base Force

Ground combat at Tjilatjap (51,102)

Attacking force 1468 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 61

Defending force 2480 troops, 23 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 56

Assaulting units:
82nd Naval Guard Unit

Defending units:
5th Coastal Gun Battalion
Tjilitap Base Force

At Changsha Chinese troops are leaving the city, but it appears a strong contingent still remains. I'm not sure I want to attack here yet, even with a majority. There is a lot of feeling out going on with static positions right now in China even after the breakthrough in the center.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 9:07:48 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 429
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/14/2013 4:28:16 PM   
obvert

23 March 1942

SUBS: Lots of sub attacks near Georgetown but no hits. I'd forgotten how nice it is in 42 against US subs.

DEI: Batavia is hit hard again. Palembang Allied AV goes down below 700 after bombardments.

CHINA: Zeros get 3:1 against Hurris in China. THey take out about 10 on the day. Oscars pick up another few at about 2:1. Then 100+ Sallys head in and there are still 5 Hurris up to hit em. They shoot down 4 Sallys.

We bombard at both Changsha and the hex South of Sian. At Changsha we have about 3:1. Once bombers are free for extended service I'll work on this. Now I need them for Sian and to hit shattered troops fleeing to the SW from the center.

PI: Jut keeping forts down. He has sent in single transports once or twice. I have a PB on station to protect the approaches, and Vals on Naval bombing at Manila.

PACIFIC: Moving some constructions units to the Solomons and New Guinea.

BURMA: All is looking good. The blockades are still functioning and the base at Bassein has a full regiment and some supply. Now to see whether I can get the transports there safely. The KB and other TFs move into vulnerable waters North of Georgetown. No rise in DL so far. The Python slithers forth.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 23, 42

Morning Air attack on Kweilin , at 76,54

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid spotted at 21 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 37

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 15

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
27 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.232 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 2 on standby, 1 scrambling)
2 plane(s) intercepting now.
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 12 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 18000 , scrambling fighters to 18000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes

Morning Air attack on Kweilin , at 76,54

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 36

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 1

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIb Trop: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
36 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
No.232 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 18000 , scrambling fighters to 20000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 169 minutes

Morning Air attack on 1st War Area , at 84,42 , near Sian

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 9

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses

CAP engaged:
No.242 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(11 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 11 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 18000
Raid is overhead

Morning Air attack on Batavia , at 49,98

Weather in hex: Overcast

Raid spotted at 14 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 31
G4M1 Betty x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 2 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 3 damaged

Allied ground losses:
17 casualties reported

Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 41

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on 38th Chinese Corps, at 84,42 , near Sian

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 86
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 14
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 3

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 2 destroyed, 5 damaged
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 1 damaged

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
85 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x Ki-21-Ic Sally bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on 47th Chinese Corps, at 84,42 , near Sian

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 10
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 12

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 2

No Japanese losses

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
9 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x Ki-21-IIa Sally bombing from 6000 feet

Ground combat at 84,42 (near Sian)

Attacking force 97468 troops, 959 guns, 154 vehicles, Assault Value = 3328

Defending force 62449 troops, 369 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2284

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
8th Ind.Mixed Brigade
58th Infantry Regiment
9th Ind.Mixed Brigade
110th Division
6th Ind.Mixed Brigade
37th Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
13th Division
32nd Division
35th Division
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
11th Indpt Infantry Regiment
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
12th Army
1st Army
13th Army
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Mortar Battalion
4th Mortar Battalion
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
33rd Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
42nd Chinese Corps
8th Route Army
47th Chinese Corps
80th Chinese Corps
96th Chinese Corps
38th Chinese Corps
93rd Chinese Corps
5th New Chinese Corps
Jingcha War Area
4th Group Army
1st War Area
39th Group Army

Ground combat at Changsha (82,52)

Attacking force 100 troops, 13 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2016

Defending force 20182 troops, 131 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 668

Japanese ground losses:
Guns lost 3 (3 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
12th Ind.Mixed Brigade
3rd Division
57th Infantry Brigade
34th Division
40th Division
61st Infantry Brigade
11th Army
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
69th JAAF AF Coy

Defending units:
58th Chinese Corps
37th Chinese Corps
26th Chinese Corps
87th Chinese Corps
17th Chinese Base Force

Attacking force 36297 troops, 670 guns, 208 vehicles, Assault Value = 1051

Defending force 23993 troops, 341 guns, 138 vehicles, Assault Value = 698

Japanese ground losses:
34 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
136 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 15 disabled

Assaulting units:
65th Brigade
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
4th Division
33rd Division
Yokosuka 4th SNLF
2nd Mortar Battalion
1st RF Gun Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
Barisan KNIL Regiment
Tapanoeli Gsn Battalion
4th KNIL Regiment
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
Riouw KNIL Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
Marinier Battalion
6th KNIL Regiment
SE Borneo KNIL Battalion
1st KNIL Regiment
1st Regt Cavalerie
Zuid KNIL Battalion
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
2/15 Punjab Battalion
Padang Base Force
Palembang Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
Bengkalis Base Force
Pakanbaroe Det.
Bintan Det. Base Force
6th Heavy AA Regiment

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 9:07:26 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 430
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/14/2013 5:00:58 PM   
obvert

24 - 25 March 1942

SUBS: I-27 confirms that something is coming!!! Three DDs and an RN BB on the way from Ceylon run over the sub. Neither side gets a hit. Very good info though. All units on alert.

DEI: Batavia falls to a shock attack and the last base standing on Java is Tilityap with about 100 AV Allied troops. Three fast transports are converging on Koepang and should land on the 26th-27th. I have about 200 AV moving here. It lists 6k troops in four units by recon. Palembang is at around 675 AV now.

CHINA: Armor moves on Shaoyang and takes the base. This gives a direct line to the center of China. I can't concentrate on it with enough to break through yet though. I have 1000 AV plus the tanks on this route, but I will move them South to get i th away of troops retreating from Henyang. Chikhiang shows 59k troops now.

BURMA: The Allies attack again near Toungoo but again only manage a 1:2. These troops are nails! The IJA suffers a bit more this time, and supply is in the red. Transports continue to fly it in.

Operation Python is moving forward. A CA led bombardment TF is broken off and will hit Rangoon on the 26th before landings commence. The 6" guns here should cause some havoc, and I'm ready for (more) transport losses, but since we made before the deadline, troops should be fine. Fingers crossed.

No DL on the KB yet, but one SAG has 3/3. The transport are all seen as they are just ahead of the combat ships until tomorrow.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 24, 42

Afternoon Air attack on Port Blair , at 46,58

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid spotted at 10 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 13

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
ML No. 362, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
ML No. 363, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Port hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 6000 feet
Port Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Attacking force 360 troops, 29 guns, 24 vehicles, Assault Value = 499

Defending force 8682 troops, 76 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 74

Assaulting units:
38th Division
53rd Naval Guard Unit
25th Army
15th Army

Defending units:
Roodenburg Battalion
Afdeling Ritman
Tjilatjap KNIL Bn /2
KNIL Army Command
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
ML-KNIL
Merak Base Force
Bandoeng Base Force
Kalidjati Base Force
Loemafjang Base Force
ABDA
Semarang Base Force
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
Batavia Base Force
Malang Base Force

Ground combat at Shaoyang (80,52)

Attacking force 552 troops, 0 guns, 90 vehicles, Assault Value = 98

Defending force 3231 troops, 14 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 127

Japanese adjusted assault: 48

Allied adjusted defense: 38

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
305 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 35 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
13th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
4th Chinese/A Corps

Ground combat at Tjilatjap (51,102)

Attacking force 1468 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 61

Defending force 2992 troops, 23 guns, 10 vehicles, Assault Value = 86

Assaulting units:
82nd Naval Guard Unit

Defending units:
5th Coastal Gun Battalion
Van Altena Battalion
Tjilitap Base Force

Ground combat at 57,49 (near Toungoo)

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 15546 troops, 189 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 562

Defending force 4739 troops, 72 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 193

Assaulting units:
4th Burma Rifles Battalion
6th Chinese Corps
B Sqn 3rd Hussars Regiment
Railway BAF Battalion
66th Chinese Corps

Defending units:
91st Naval Guard Unit
1st Raiding Regiment
21st Div /1

Ground combat at 81,53 (near Changsha)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 844 troops, 7 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3

Defending force 20300 troops, 140 guns, 60 vehicles, Assault Value = 651

Assault collapses, survivors seek cover

Allied ground losses:
743 casualties reported
Squads: 24 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 94 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 7 (7 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1
Unit suicide, preparing for their next zombie life. Gamey??

Assaulting units:
4th Chinese/C Corps
4th Chinese/B Corps

Defending units:
6th Division
55th Infantry Brigade
23rd Army

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 25, 42

ASW attack near Trincomalee at 37,47

Japanese Ships
SS I-27

Allied Ships
DD Vampire
BB Ramillies
DD Parrott
DD Vendetta

SS I-27 launches 2 torpedoes at DD Vampire
DD Vendetta attacking submerged sub ....
SS I-27 eludes ASW attack from DD Vendetta
DD Vampire cannot establish contact with SS I-27
SS I-27 eludes DD Vampire by diving deep
DD Vendetta fails to find sub and abandons search
Escort abandons search for sub

Ground combat at Shaoyang (80,52)

Attacking force 1166 troops, 0 guns, 184 vehicles, Assault Value = 100

Defending force 2973 troops, 14 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 92

Japanese adjusted assault: 100

Allied adjusted defense: 12

Japanese assault odds: 8 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Shaoyang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
1988 casualties reported
Squads: 38 destroyed, 38 disabled
Non Combat: 52 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 11 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (2 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
13th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
4th Chinese/A Corps

Ground combat at 81,53 (near Changsha)

Attacking force 5694 troops, 38 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 653

Defending force 655 troops, 2 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 203

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 203 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
877 casualties reported
Non Combat: 90 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
6th Division
55th Infantry Brigade
23rd Army

Defending units:
4th Chinese/B Corps

Attacking force 36437 troops, 670 guns, 208 vehicles, Assault Value = 1063

Defending force 23745 troops, 337 guns, 136 vehicles, Assault Value = 675

Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
425 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 22 disabled

Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
4th Division
33rd Division
65th Brigade
Yokosuka 4th SNLF
2nd Mortar Battalion
1st RF Gun Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
4th KNIL Regiment
1st Regt Cavalerie
Marinier Battalion
Riouw KNIL Battalion
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
SE Borneo KNIL Battalion
6th KNIL Regiment
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
Barisan KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Regiment
Zuid KNIL Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
Tapanoeli Gsn Battalion
2/15 Punjab Battalion
Pakanbaroe Det.
Bengkalis Base Force
Padang Base Force
Bintan Det. Base Force
Palembang Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
6th Heavy AA Regiment

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 15469 troops, 165 guns, 93 vehicles, Assault Value = 510

Defending force 8583 troops, 76 guns, 30 vehicles, Assault Value = 76

Japanese adjusted assault: 524

Allied adjusted defense: 153

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Batavia !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
390 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 14 disabled

Allied ground losses:
11518 casualties reported
Squads: 50 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 792 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 54 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 82 (82 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 34 (34 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 16

Assaulting units:
38th Division
53rd Naval Guard Unit
15th Army
25th Army

Defending units:
Afdeling Ritman
Roodenburg Battalion
Tjilatjap KNIL Bn /2
Bandoeng Base Force
1 ML-KNIL Aviation
Merak Base Force
KNIL Army Command
ABDA
Batavia Base Force
Loemafjang Base Force
Semarang Base Force
3rd KNIL AA Battalion
Kalidjati Base Force
ML-KNIL
Malang Base Force

Ground combat at Banjoewangi (57,107)

Attacking force 1538 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 63

Defending force 619 troops, 12 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 26

Allied adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Banjoewangi !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
15 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
643 casualties reported
Non Combat: 77 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 17 (17 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Assaulting units:
Sasebo 8th SNLF

Defending units:
Banjoewangi Base Force
South Borneo Base Force

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 16391 troops, 189 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 566

Defending force 4762 troops, 72 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 195

Allied adjusted assault: 209

Japanese adjusted defense: 581

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), fatigue(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
355 casualties reported
Squads: 26 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 6 (4 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
778 casualties reported
Squads: 30 destroyed, 81 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled

Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 10 (2 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Assaulting units:
Railway BAF Battalion
6th Chinese Corps
4th Burma Rifles Battalion
66th Chinese Corps

Defending units:
91st Naval Guard Unit
1st Raiding Regiment
21st Div /1

Warming up the engines.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 9:07:06 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 431
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/14/2013 10:37:07 PM   
obvert

26 March 1942

The battle is joined! Operation Python and the battle of Rangoon have begun!

SUBS: Allied subs go for several amphib TFs along the Thai and Burma coasts but can't hit.

BURMA: The night phase sees the first transports head upriver to Rangoon and the CAs put down a rather weak bombardment of the place. Two TFs begin to unload today. I staggered them to see the response before committing all troops here. The 6" guns put a few shots on transports, and more than one will be lost I'm afraid.

Once daylight breaks a surprise comes from over the horizon, but not from the direction Admiral Yamaguchi had expected. A flight of almost 30 SBD-3 escorted by Wildcats and P-40s flies from Moulmein and dives on the KB! At first only around 30 zeros meet the planes, and I think this is it. Game over. Instead the expert pilots of the KB, battle hardened and determined, fight through the escorts and get to the bombers in time to take down almost two thirds of their number. The rest are damaged and out of formation resulting in only one hit on the CVs. Zuiho takes a 1,000 pound shot, but miraculously has only 10/6/3 damage after the turn. Did someone swap the deck for one off a Brit CV?

After this I was expecting more from the air, and it came. The Brit TBs, 18 Albacore and 3 Swordfish came in unescorted and were lit up. None made a pass.

Next up Nells went for a search and found British BBs on the horizon, no doubt the group our sub had seen the day before. No hits were recorded as they were using bombs. The Bettys, ready with TT, did not fly. The KB strikes did though, and decimated the Brits. Revenge took 6 TT and sank outright. Resolution took one TT and 4 bombs, while Royal Sovereign took four bombs. The KB planes then found British CLs within 100 miles of the fleet and sank the Capetown and Colombo with two and four TT hits respectively. The Tromp was left unharmed. Then 13 late arriving Kates hit Royal Sovereign with four more TT!

It looks like we'll get Rangoon at least. If the rest land as easily we should also threaten trapping an Indian and a British division at Moulmein.

CHINA: Bombers hit the troops at Henyang again and put 55 dents in the runways at Sian.

DEI: Landings at Koepang should go in tomorrow.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 26, 42

Night Naval bombardment of Rangoon at 54,53

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi
CA Myoko

Allied ground losses:
127 casualties reported
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 18 disabled

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 28
Port hits 2
Port fuel hits 4

E13A1 Jake acting as spotter for CA Nachi
CA Nachi firing at Rangoon
CA Myoko firing at Rangoon

Pre-Invasion action off Rangoon (54,53) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!
Defensive Guns engage approaching landing force

68 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Kashima
DD Akatsuki
AMC Kinryu Maru
AV Kamikawa Maru
DMS W-18
xAK Brisbane Maru
TB Hatsukari
SC Ch 3
SC Ch 2

Japanese ground losses:
84 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

103rd RN Base Force firing at CL Kashima
CL Kashima firing at 103rd RN Base Force
DD Akatsuki firing at 36th Chinese Division
6" Mk V/VII Gun Battery engaging AMC Kinryu Maru at 13,000 yards
CL Kashima firing to suppress enemy battery at 13,000 yards
TB Hatsukari fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 6,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

Morning Air attack on 17th Indian Division, at 55,55 (Moulmein)

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 25

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 6 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 6000 feet
Ground Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Also attacking 107th RAF Base Force ...
Also attacking 17th Indian Division ...

Amphibious Assault at Rangoon (54,53)

TF 193 troops unloading over beach at Rangoon, 54,53

Japanese ground losses:
106 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled

17 troops of a SNLF Squad lost in surf during unload of Kure 3rd SNLF
17 troops of a SNLF Squad lost from landing craft during unload of Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
10 Support troops lost from landing craft during unload of Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
20 troops of a IJA HMG Squad lost in surf during unload of 144th Infantry Rgt /2
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad accidentally lost during unload of 144th Infantry Rgt /2
17 troops of a IJA Infantry Squad lost overboard during unload of 144th Infantry Rgt /2
10 Support troops lost overboard during unload of 144th Infantry Rgt /2

Invasion Support action off Rangoon (54,53) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

32 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CL Kashima
AMC Kinryu Maru, Shell hits 1, on fire
xAK Sydney Maru, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
DMS W-18
TB Tomozuru
SC Ch 3
SC Ch 2
DD Akatsuki

Japanese ground losses:
42 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

AMC Kinryu Maru firing at 103rd RN Base Force
103rd RN Base Force firing at AMC Kinryu Maru
6" Mk V/VII Gun Battery engaging xAK Sydney Maru at 10,000 yards
TB Tomozuru firing to suppress enemy battery at 10,000 yards
SC Ch 3 fired at enemy troops
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 1,000 yards

Morning Air attack on TF, near Rangoon at 51,54

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 39 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 71

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 21
F4F-3 Wildcat x 26
SBD-3 Dauntless x 29

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed by flak
F4F-3 Wildcat: 2 destroyed

SBD-3 Dauntless: 9 destroyed, 7 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 2 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CVL Ryujo
CV Akagi
CV Shokaku
CV Soryu
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 1, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 1000 lb SAP Bomb
1 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'
2 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 4000'
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (1 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
1 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Raid is overhead
Akagi-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 2 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 14000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 10000 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
Shokaku-1 with A6M2 Zero (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 9000 , scrambling fighters between 4000 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 5 minutes
Zuikaku-1 with A6M2 Zero (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 15000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 15000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 6 minutes
Ryujo-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 4 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 7000 and 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 11 minutes
Shoho-1 with A6M2 Zero (2 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 6000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 3 minutes
Zuiho-1 with A6M2 Zero (4 airborne, 10 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 6000 and 13000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 9 minutes

Morning Air attack on TF, near Rangoon at 51,54

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 62

Allied aircraft
Albacore I x 18
Swordfish I x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore I: 5 destroyed
Swordfish I: 2 destroyed

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 49,48

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 8 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Resolution
BB Ramillies
BB Royal Sovereign

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 9000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb, 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45
B5N2 Kate x 50
D3A1 Val x 31

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 12 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed by flak
D3A1 Val: 4 damaged
D3A1 Val: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
BB Revenge, Bomb hits 1, Torpedo hits 6, and is sunk
BB Ramillies
BB Resolution, Bomb hits 4, Torpedo hits 1
BB Royal Sovereign, Bomb hits 4
DD Vampire

Raid spotted at 25 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N2 Kate x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 8 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 2 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
BB Resolution
BB Ramillies
BB Royal Sovereign, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x B5N2 Kate launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Rangoon at 54,53

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
F4F-3 Wildcat x 14
SBD-3 Dauntless x 6

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Brisbane Maru, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
AK Hirokawa Maru, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Japanese ground losses:
133 casualties reported
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 10 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 2000'
4 x SBD-3 Dauntless releasing from 3000'

Heavy smoke from fires obscuring xAK Brisbane Maru
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring AK Hirokawa Maru

Ground combat at Rangoon (54,53)

Attacking force 3964 troops, 22 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 186

Defending force 10203 troops, 106 guns, 18 vehicles, Assault Value = 401

Allied ground losses:
12 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
6th Burma Rifles Battalion
36th Chinese Division
221 Group RAF
103rd RN Base Force

Defending units:
Kure 3rd SNLF
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
144th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards/A Div /2

Tomorrow should be interesting.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 9:06:42 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 432
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/15/2013 9:05:17 AM   
obvert

27 March 1942

Tromp on a romp!

SUBS: Allied subs continue to hover around the many ships moving to Rangoon. Still no losses to these guys.

BURMA: CL Tromp went on a minor rampage, slithering through several SAGs on the way to interrupt landings at Rangoon and severely damage a few transports. It was eventually tracked down and finally sunk by strike planes from the KB after over ten engagement with various TFs during the turn, and only through the efforts of CL Oi escorting and shielding transports did it not do more damage. Damage to the troops is minimal and after tomorrows unload of the rest of the Imperial Guards and other units, we should have about 1200-1300 AV here. I'll DA at Rangoon tomorrow.

The RN BBs also engaged the IJN and had a one-sided duel with Kongo, Haruna and Hiei during the night. The Vampire was sunk and Resolution took severe damage from the big guns. The CAs had a shot next and sent two TT into Resolution as well as putting the remaining two DDs into danger of sinking. The KB strikes during the day finished off the rest in the afternoon.

I feared more air strikes, and they did come, but were likely limited after a strong bombardment of Moulmein by BB Yamashiro, Mutsu and Nagato. Many planes were on the ground, including Banshees and Brit TBs, and although actual losses were light, many planes were damaged and the fields were given some holes, so ops were likely greatly reduced. The two day strikes were wiped out with no damage to any ships.

So far the operation looks good, although transport losses are mounting. I may lose 5-7 including two AMCs and one E that hit a mine. Allies troops at Moulmein are moving and some may make Pegu before us, but likely not all. They are being slowed by the IJAAF.

CHINA: Still moving to encircle troops attempting an escape from Henyang. See map below. Some movement seen heading out of Sian. That would be nice.

DEI: Koepang is invaded. He's got a strong contingetn there, as predicted, but also has the Tarakan CD battery! That was a nasty surprise. I lost one DD to the guns, but the rest should be fine. More troops come in tomorrow which should give a slight advantage in raw AV, but not nearly enough to take the base. A division will be needed but that will have to wait.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 27,1942

Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Blair at 49,55, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake

Allied Ships
CL Tromp

Improved night sighting under 78% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 78% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 10,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 10,000 yards
Arizumi, Z. crosses the 'T'
CL Tromp engages DD Kuretake at 10,000 yards
CL Tromp engages DD Wakatake at 9,000 yards
Task forces break off...

TF 93 encounters mine field at Rangoon (54,53) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

6 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DMS W-6, Shell hits 2
E Shimushu, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

DMS W-6 firing at 103rd RN Base Force
103rd RN Base Force firing at DMS W-6
1 mine cleared the hard way

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 50,55, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 1

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 54,54, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Inazuma
SC Ch 14
xAK Hino Maru #3
xAK Seian Maru
xAK Sydney Maru #2
xAK Tateisi Maru
xAK Taifuku Maru
xAK Aso Maru
xAK Zuiko Maru
xAK Takaoka Maru
xAK Toba Maru
xAK Venice Maru
xAK Hakonesan Maru
xAK Hakubasan Maru
PB AnsyuMaru

Allied Ships
CL Tromp

Japanese TF attempts to evade combat
Range increases to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
CL Tromp engages xAK Hakubasan Maru at 11,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 50,53, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo, Shell hits 1
BB Haruna, Shell hits 1
BB Hiei, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Harusame, Shell hits 2
DD Yudachi
DD Samidare
DD Hatsushima
DD Ariake

Allied Ships
BB Ramillies, Shell hits 2, on fire
BB Resolution, Shell hits 14, on fire
DD Alden
DD Parrott, Shell hits 1
DD Vampire, Shell hits 5, and is sunk

Range closes to 21,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
BB Resolution engages BB Hiei at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 8,000 yards
BB Resolution engages BB Hiei at 8,000 yards
DD Harusame engages DD Alden at 8,000 yards
Range closes to 5,000 yards
BB Hiei engages BB Resolution at 5,000 yards
DD Harusame engages DD Parrott at 13,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 54,53, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Oi
DD Ayanami
DD Kuri
APD Tade
E Shimushu, and is sunk the mine hit
DMS W-6
SC Ch 5
AK Sasako Maru
AMC Awata Maru
xAK Ayatosan Maru
xAK Arimasan Maru
AMC Nosiro Maru
xAP Argentina Maru
xAP Kongo Maru

Allied Ships
CL Tromp

Allied Ships Reported to be Approaching!
Japanese TF suspends unloading operations and begins to get underway
Range closes to 9,000 yards
Japanese Task Force Manages to Escape
Japanese Amphibious TF evades combat

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 54,53, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Oi, Shell hits 2
DD Ayanami
DD Kuri
APD Tade
DMS W-6, on fire
SC Ch 5
AK Sasako Maru
AMC Awata Maru, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
xAK Ayatosan Maru, Shell hits 1
xAK Arimasan Maru
AMC Nosiro Maru, Shell hits 2, heavy fires
xAP Argentina Maru
xAP Kongo Maru

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 3

Japanese ground losses:
581 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 31 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 24 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

CL Oi engages CL Tromp at 10,000 yards
CL Tromp engages AMC Nosiro Maru at 10,000 yards
Van Der Elst J. orders Allied TF to disengage
Range closes to 2,000 yards
CL Tromp engages CL Oi at 2,000 yards
CL Tromp engages DD Ayanami at 2,000 yards
CL Tromp engages xAP Argentina Maru at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
CL Tromp engages CL Oi at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 12,000 yards
AMC Nosiro Maru , AMC Awata Maru , APD Tade ,
AK Sasako Maru , xAP Kongo Maru , xAP Argentina Maru screened from combat
- escorted by CL Oi , DD Ayanami
Love that!
CL Tromp engages xAK Ayatosan Maru at 12,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 54,53, Range 12,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Oi
DD Ayanami
DD Kuri
APD Tade
DMS W-6, on fire
SC Ch 5
AK Sasako Maru
AMC Awata Maru, heavy fires
xAK Ayatosan Maru
xAK Arimasan Maru
AMC Nosiro Maru, heavy fires
xAP Argentina Maru
xAP Kongo Maru

Allied Ships
CL Tromp

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 54,54, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 1

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 53,54, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 1

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 52,54, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake

Allied Ships
CL Tromp

Night Naval bombardment of Moulmein at 55,55

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-3 Dauntless: 2 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed on ground
Hurricane IIa Trop: 6 damaged
Hurricane IIa Trop: 1 destroyed on ground
A-24 Banshee: 4 damaged
Swordfish I: 1 damaged
Swordfish I: 1 destroyed on ground
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed on ground
P-40E Warhawk: 2 damaged
Albacore I: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato

Allied ground losses:
58 casualties reported
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 5 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Manpower hits 1
Fires 3306
Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 8
Port hits 1
Port fuel hits 1

E13A1 Jake acting as spotter for BB Yamashiro
BB Yamashiro firing at 18th British Division
E13A1 Jake acting as spotter for BB Mutsu
BB Mutsu firing at 17th Indian Division
BB Nagato firing at Moulmein

Pre-Invasion action off Koepang (68,116) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

183 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami
CA Tone, Shell hits 3
CL Kitakami
CL Sendai, Shell hits 2
DD Asashio
DD Amatsukaze
DD Maikaze, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Urakaze
DD Hatsukaze
CS Nisshin

Japanese ground losses:
98 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled

Tarakan Coastal Gun Battalion firing at DD Maikaze
120mm CD Gun Battery engaging DD Hatsukaze at 10,000 yards
75mm CD Gun Battery engaging DD Maikaze at 10,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 4,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

TF 193 encounters mine field at Rangoon (54,53) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

8 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DMS W-18, Shell hits 1
DMS W-17, Shell hits 3, on fire
TB Tomozuru
SC Ch 3
SC Ch 2

103rd RN Base Force firing at DMS W-18
DMS W-17 firing at 103rd RN Base Force
103rd RN Base Force firing at DMS W-17
15 mines cleared

Day Time Surface Combat, near Rangoon at 51,53, Range 25,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko
CA Nachi
DD Akigumo
DD Kuroshio
DD Hayashio
DD Fubuki
DD Shinonome
DD Usugumo
DD Isonami

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 5, on fire

Day Time Surface Combat, near Bassein at 51,52, Range 22,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Myoko, Shell hits 1
CA Nachi, Shell hits 2
DD Akigumo, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Kuroshio
DD Hayashio
DD Fubuki
DD Shinonome, Shell hits 1
DD Usugumo, Shell hits 1
DD Isonami, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
BB Ramillies, Shell hits 5
BB Resolution, Shell hits 14, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Alden, Shell hits 10, on fire, heavy damage
DD Parrott, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions: 28,000 yards
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 24,000 yards
Range closes to 22,000 yards...
CA Nachi engages BB Ramillies at 22,000 yards
Range closes to 18,000 yards
CA Nachi engages BB Resolution at 18,000 yards
Range closes to 16,000 yards
BB Resolution engages CA Nachi at 16,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards
BB Resolution engages CA Nachi at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 11,000 yards
BB Resolution engages CA Nachi at 11,000 yards
Range closes to 7,000 yards
BB Resolution engages CA Nachi at 7,000 yards
Range closes to 6,000 yards
BB Resolution engages CA Nachi at 6,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
BB Resolution engages CA Nachi at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 9,000 yards
BB Resolution engages DD Shinonome at 9,000 yards
DD Akigumo engages DD Alden at 9,000 yards
Task forces break off...

Invasion Support action off Koepang (68,116) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

140 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Mogami, Shell hits 1
CA Tone, Shell hits 1
CL Kitakami, Shell hits 2
CL Sendai, Shell hits 5
DD Asashio, Shell hits 1
DD Urakaze, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Amatsukaze
DD Isokaze, Shell hits 2

Day Time Surface Combat, near Bassein at 52,52, Range 16,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 6, on fire

Day Time Surface Combat, near Ramree Island at 51,48, Range 18,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Kamikaze
DD Hayate
DD Wakatake
DD Kuretake

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Shell hits 4, heavy fires

Morning Air attack on TF, near Rangoon at 54,53

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 24

Allied aircraft
Albacore I x 12
Swordfish I x 3
F4F-3 Wildcat x 15

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Albacore I: 6 destroyed
Swordfish I: 2 destroyed
F4F-3 Wildcat: 4 destroyed

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 51,48

Raid spotted at 17 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 29
B5N2 Kate x 5
D3A1 Val x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Bomb hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x B5N2 Kate bombing from 5000 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
8 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
1 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

Tromp dead in the water ...
Heavy smoke from fires obscuring CL Tromp

Morning Air attack on TF, near Akyab at 50,45

Raid spotted at 2 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 0 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
B5N2 Kate x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
BB Royal Sovereign, Bomb hits 4, heavy damage

Morning Air attack on TF, near Ramree Island at 51,48

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 9
B5N2 Kate x 5

Allied aircraft
no flights

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
C.XI-W: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CL Tromp, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk At last!!!

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bassein at 51,52

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 45
B5N2 Kate x 51
D3A1 Val x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 8 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Ramillies, Bomb hits 15, Torpedo hits 5, and is sunk
BB Resolution, Bomb hits 8, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
DD Parrott, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Alden, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Ground combat at 79,52 (near Shaoyang)

Attacking force 1206 troops, 0 guns, 184 vehicles, Assault Value = 99

Defending force 1530 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 13

Japanese adjusted assault: 93

Allied adjusted defense: 5

Japanese assault odds: 18 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Allied ground losses:
798 casualties reported
Squads: 73 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 26 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Units retreated 1

Assaulting units:
13th Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment

Defending units:
4th Chinese/A Corps

Ground combat at Koepang (68,116)

Attacking force 2074 troops, 35 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 152

Defending force 3693 troops, 32 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 117

Japanese ground losses:
76 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Assaulting units:
Kendari Garrison Battalion
Dili Detachment
Timor Garrison Battalion
Prajoda Garrison Battalion
2/2nd Ind Coy
Tarakan Coastal Gun Battalion
Den Passer Base Force
Koepang Base Force

Defending units:
113th Infantry Regiment
16th Naval Guard Unit

Attacking force 3957 troops, 22 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 185

Defending force 21708 troops, 192 guns, 106 vehicles, Assault Value = 731

Assaulting units:
36th Chinese Division
221 Group RAF
103rd RN Base Force

Defending units:
Kure 3rd SNLF
124th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards/A Division
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
23rd Nav Gd Unit
144th Infantry Regiment
146th Infantry Rgt /1
16th Army /2

Here is a look at China currently.

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 10:57:13 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 433
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/15/2013 10:29:11 AM   
Empire101

It's all got very exciting again!!

Good bombardment at Moulmein....shame it did'nt do more damage to the airfield.

I think resolution could be done for ( fingers crossed ).

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 434
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/15/2013 12:23:13 PM   
obvert

28 March 1942

SUBS: One major sub action today. The I-165 that I set to watch approaches to the Calcutta area finds a limping BB Royal Sovereign and puts two more TT into her. She's not listed as sunk, but with six TT hits in three days and the sinking sounds heard, I'm pretty she's under now. That's 4 RN BB erased plus 3 DD! Banzai!

DEI: The next Koepang landing gets mauled and barely makes it away without losing ships. I now have a bit more than he does here at around 175 to 155 AV, but it will be tight until I can get some bigger tougher units in. I'll be making some visits with the BBs soon to begin to soften things up and hopefully reduce some of the shore batteries. First though I need a good contingent of DMS ready as he WILL mine it.

A 60 AV Dutch unit has been marching on Djambi and shocked in today but only got a 1:2. I had seen this just in time and flew in elements of the 2nd division/B. More are on the way as he has another unit of undetermined strength still coming. Forts there are nearing two, but I certainly don't want him to take this base and wreck the oil now.

Palmebang Dutch troops continue to wither. Once they get to about a 1:3 ratio to our troops I'll DA. All air units will now concentrate on the troops as fields are at 100% damage.

CHINA: I know now what's left Henyang as a small armored car unit shocked in to open the path to the SE into the city. He still has about 1500 AV there to my 900, but I may DA soon as I suspect a lot of these units are shattered from the big battles at Siantang. The encircling is still moving along, but some look to get through toward Kweilin. I'd rather force them either back or off of the road. We'll see.

PI: A US freighter made contact with my blocking PB today to the SE of Bataan. The PB did not attack, , and the ship got through. I'm certainly not picking these guys up on naval searches, so I'll have to put another ship or two onto the approaches. It's important enough I'll allocate a new DD just arrived at Port Arthur. Vals will try to pick of this ship before it unloads, if they can find it. I've got fields fairly damaged now, so I'll also allocate a Lily unit to bombing the port.

BURMA: Rangoon holds today but should fall tomorrow. The DA knocked forts to two and weakened his units there. I've now recombined the Imperial Guards and they will form the backbone of my Burma Army. The 55th is also walking from Raheng and will arrive at Moulmein in about 7-8 days. Thai troops will take Moulmein tomorrow and move after to chase the Allies toward Pegu.

Here is what we're after:

BFF Brigade
18th British Division
2/3rd MG Battalion
Rangoon BAF Battalion
17th Indian Division
107th RAF Base Force
Burma Corps
108th RAF Base Force

Surrounding and destroying these forces would be sweet. Even mauling the big divisions would be tough as British replacement rates are so low.

Bombers hit troops in the woods around Toungoo and tomorrow I'll also LR CAP this spot with zeros.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR December 28, 43

TF 127 encounters mine field at Rangoon (54,53)

Japanese Ships
SC Ch 18
SC Ch 15
xAK Shinryu Maru, Mine hits 1, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

3 mines cleared

Sub attack near Cox's Bazar at 50,43

Japanese Ships
SS I-165

Allied Ships
BB Royal Sovereign, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage
DD Vendetta

Magazine explodes on BB Royal Sovereign
SS I-165 launches 4 torpedoes at BB Royal Sovereign
I-165 diving deep ....
DD Vendetta fails to find sub, continues to search...

Afternoon Air attack on 21st Division, at 57,49 , near Toungoo

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 4
B-26 Marauder x 9

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
12 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet *
Ground Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

Attacking force 19948 troops, 192 guns, 37 vehicles, Assault Value = 1100

Defending force 6372 troops, 52 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 185

Japanese adjusted assault: 446

Allied adjusted defense: 127

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 3)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
904 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 51 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 7 disabled

Allied ground losses:
421 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 14 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 36 disabled

Guns lost 5 (3 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Assaulting units:
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
146th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards/B Div /1
124th Infantry Regiment
55th Cavalry Regiment
144th Infantry Regiment
23rd Nav Gd Unit
Kure 3rd SNLF
Imperial Guards/C Div /1
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
1st Tank Rgt /1
16th Army
27th JAAF AF Bn

Defending units:
36th Chinese Division
221 Group RAF
103rd RN Base Force

Ground combat at Moulmein (55,55)

Attacking force 21610 troops, 186 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 972

Defending force 24625 troops, 381 guns, 246 vehicles, Assault Value = 984

Japanese ground losses:
16 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
4th RTA Division
3rd RTA Division
2nd RTA Division
6th RTA Division
7th RTA Division

Defending units:
BFF Brigade
18th British Division
2/3rd MG Battalion
Rangoon BAF Battalion
17th Indian Division
107th RAF Base Force
Burma Corps
108th RAF Base Force

Ground combat at Djambi (48,88)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 1380 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 61

Defending force 1406 troops, 16 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 25

Allied adjusted assault: 8

Japanese adjusted defense: 19

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
30 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
30 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
Korps Marechausee Battalion

Defending units:
2nd/B Div /1
21st JAAF AF Bn
55th Const Co
4th JAAF AF Coy

Ground combat at Koepang (68,116)

Attacking force 2064 troops, 35 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 152

Defending force 5224 troops, 51 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 178

Japanese ground losses:
24 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
Dili Detachment
Timor Garrison Battalion
Kendari Garrison Battalion
Prajoda Garrison Battalion
2/2nd Ind Coy
Tarakan Coastal Gun Battalion
Den Passer Base Force
Koepang Base Force

Defending units:
113th Infantry Regiment
Maizuru 2nd SNLF
16th Naval Guard Unit

Attacking force 3488 troops, 19 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 153

Defending force 32439 troops, 277 guns, 231 vehicles, Assault Value = 1015

Assaulting units:
36th Chinese Division
103rd RN Base Force
221 Group RAF

Defending units:
Imperial Guards/B Div /1
124th Infantry Regiment
146th Infantry Regiment
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
Kure 3rd SNLF
144th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards/C Div /1
23rd Nav Gd Unit
55th Cavalry Regiment
1st Tank Rgt /1
16th Army
27th JAAF AF Bn

Here is a view of the Palembang and Djambi areas.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 2:13:25 PM >

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 435
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/15/2013 2:19:27 PM   
obvert

29 March 1942

Rangoon Falls!

SUBS: A little sub on sub in the DEI and the Dutch get the better of it. I-121 goes down hard after two TT split the sub in pieces.

BURMA: Rangoon's garrison is roughed up and retreats, relinquishing the city to Empire control. It's now a race to Pegu. My armor will be there tomorrow. His troops are moving btu not al at the same pace. I think at least one division will be late. All TFs are heading back. Mines are being swept but a transport took a hit.

LR CAP didn't fly over the troops near Toungoo. Those troops got bombed and attacked. They may not last much longer as this one took a lot off the top.

DEI: Lots of bombing hitting Palembang troops. I gave the ground units a day off of bombardments. One unit of the division moving in shocked to enter the hex which put a lot of troops out disabled. The others will walk through easily though and the unit will reform.

At Djambi more troops are being flown in but I'm worried about the new Dutch unit arriving and if he has enough to take the base.

CHINA: Some good work by the IJAAF slows and weakens the Chinese trying to move out. There is a big stalemate near Sian which is bothering me, and I want to try to force supply problems before making any unwise attacks that could set me back months there. So more bombing, some maneuver soon to flank Sian with some brigades and armor to the North.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 29, 42

Sub vs Sub: SS KIX attacking SS I-121 at 63,104 - near Makassar

Japanese Ships
SS I-121, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS KIX

SS KIX launches 2 torpedoes at 1,000 yards

Night Naval bombardment of Moulmein at 55,55

Japanese Ships
BB Yamashiro
BB Mutsu
BB Nagato
DD Yuzuki
DD Mikazuki
DD Kikuzuki

Allied ground losses:
143 casualties reported
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 19 disabled

Airbase hits 2
Runway hits 9
Port hits 2
Port supply hits 1

E13A1 Jake acting as spotter for BB Yamashiro
BB Yamashiro firing at Moulmein
E13A1 Jake acting as spotter for BB Mutsu
BB Mutsu firing at 17th Indian Division
BB Nagato firing at 18th British Division

Sub attack near Balikpapan at 65,100

Japanese Ships
PB Taian Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Ikoma Maru
PB Nishimi Maru

Allied Ships
SS KIX

SS KIX launches 2 torpedoes at PB Taian Maru
KIX diving deep ....
PB Nishimi Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...

Morning Air attack on 67th Chinese Corps, at 79,53 , near Hengyang

Raid spotted at 11 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 3
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 21
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 49

No Japanese losses

Allied ground losses:
268 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 21 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 6000 feet

Morning Air attack on 99th Chinese Corps, at 80,53 (Hengyang)

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 38
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 40
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 31

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
320 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 29 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x Ki-21-Ic Sally bombing from 6000 feet
Morning Air attack on 91st Naval Guard Unit, at 57,49 , near Toungoo

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 15
Hudson I x 7
A-24 Banshee x 3
A-29 Hudson x 6
B-18A Bolo x 3
B-17E Fortress x 11
B-26 Marauder x 3
P-39D Airacobra x 25

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
35 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Hudson I bombing from 6000 feet *
Ground Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

Attacking force 29565 troops, 268 guns, 172 vehicles, Assault Value = 1263

Defending force 5951 troops, 49 guns, 3 vehicles, Assault Value = 152

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 589

Allied adjusted defense: 85

Japanese assault odds: 6 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Rangoon !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
553 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 64 disabled

Engineers: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled

Allied ground losses:
3051 casualties reported
Squads: 58 destroyed, 85 disabled
Non Combat: 122 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 14 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 39 (29 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (4 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 4

Assaulting units:
143rd Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards/B Division
Kure 3rd SNLF
6th Tank Regiment
55th Cavalry Regiment
23rd Nav Gd Unit
124th Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
146th Infantry Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
144th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards/C Division
16th Army
27th JAAF AF Bn

Defending units:
36th Chinese Division
221 Group RAF
103rd RN Base Force

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 15096 troops, 185 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 480

Defending force 4547 troops, 69 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 183

Allied adjusted assault: 240

Japanese adjusted defense: 475

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
798 casualties reported
Squads: 28 destroyed, 20 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 14 (2 destroyed, 12 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
452 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 54 disabled

A pic of the SE DEI.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 3:27:22 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 436
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/15/2013 4:03:16 PM   
obvert

BURMA

Here is a shot of the area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 437
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/15/2013 5:42:12 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I'll show you my China if you show me yours.

Um...no inuendo intended.

Actually, I took a look at your March 17th screenshot and we are pretty close in terms of situation. I'll post screens tonight of China in my AAR for you to compare.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 1/15/2013 5:47:34 PM >

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 438
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/15/2013 8:28:42 PM   
obvert

30 March 1942

SUBS: A few duds and lots of contacts. The retreating transports will have to run the gauntlet toward Singapore.

PI: Vals found the blockade runner today and put 4 bombs on the xAK Jacob Luckenbach at Bataan. I'm not liking the idea of more supply getting to Luzon, and I think it's silly the game allows these transport to make it past so much air search and naval presence.

DEI: It's getting about time to try again at Palembag. A few more days of intensive bombing and I think I'll be able to go. I want his AV in the 550 range at least, and to get the troops very disrupted from all of the bombardments.

BURMA: Armor makes it to the Pegu hex. The main body will follow tomorrow. Looks like all but one division will make it, which could give me the breakthrough here. I'm bombing all troops but the Brit AA is not easy to break through.

LR CAP ambushed the bombers near Toungoo today, but couldn't keep all of the bombers out. They shot down about 25 fighters and bombers on the day, which is nice. The Chinese led Allied troops shocked and knocked the blocking force off of the rail, though. I'll now rush the remains toward Prome.

Mines nearly cleared from the harbor. I'll have to get some permanent AMc over here knowing Torsten.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 30, 42

TF 43 encounters mine field at Rangoon (54,53)

Japanese Ships
DMS W-18
DMS W-15

40 mines cleared

TF 43 encounters mine field at Rangoon (54,53)

Japanese Ships
DMS W-18
DMS W-15

29 mines cleared

Morning Air attack on TF, near Bataan at 78,77

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Jacob Luckenbach, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 1000'

Morning Air attack on 21st Division, at 57,49 , near Toungoo

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 25
Ki-44 Tojo x 3

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 3
Hudson I x 8
A-24 Banshee x 3
A-29 Hudson x 6
B-17E Fortress x 9
B-26 Marauder x 3
P-39D Airacobra x 25

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 1 damaged
A-24 Banshee: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
A-29 Hudson: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

B-17E Fortress: 2 damaged
P-39D Airacobra: 6 destroyed, 1 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Hudson I bombing from 6000 feet *

Morning Air attack on 21st Division, at 57,49 , near Toungoo

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10
Ki-44 Tojo x 2

Allied aircraft
Blenheim IV x 12
B-18A Bolo x 3
B-26 Marauder x 9

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
Blenheim IV: 2 destroyed, 3 damaged
B-18A Bolo: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged

B-26 Marauder: 2 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x Blenheim IV bombing from 6000 feet *

Attacking force 49281 troops, 811 guns, 284 vehicles, Assault Value = 1444

Defending force 22892 troops, 329 guns, 135 vehicles, Assault Value = 617

Japanese ground losses:
40 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
253 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 30 disabled
Vehicles lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Assaulting units:
5th Division
33rd Division
4th Division
65th Brigade
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
Yokosuka 4th SNLF
2nd Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
1st RF Gun Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
1st Regt Cavalerie
SE Borneo KNIL Battalion
Riouw KNIL Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
Zuid KNIL Battalion
Barisan KNIL Regiment
Tapanoeli Gsn Battalion
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
Marinier Battalion
1st KNIL Regiment
6th KNIL Regiment
4th KNIL Regiment
2/15 Punjab Battalion
Bintan Det. Base Force
Pakanbaroe Det.
Palembang Base Force
Bengkalis Base Force
Padang Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
6th Heavy AA Regiment

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 14743 troops, 185 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 436

Defending force 4014 troops, 66 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 144

Allied adjusted assault: 344

Japanese adjusted defense: 131

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), fatigue(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
1605 casualties reported
Squads: 35 destroyed, 16 disabled
Non Combat: 19 destroyed, 18 disabled
Guns lost 6 (3 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Units retreated 3

Allied ground losses:
291 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 31 disabled

Engineers: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
6th Chinese Corps
66th Chinese Corps

Defending units:
1st Raiding Regiment
21st Div /1
91st Naval Guard Unit

No more single ship supply runs to the PI.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/15/2013 8:29:41 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 439
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/18/2013 7:01:31 AM   
obvert

31 March 1942

Invasion Bonus officially over now!

SUBS: Returning TFs run through numerous subs on the way to Singapore. A few more days of this and I'll know the total naval cost of this op. A close call for the BBs today.

DEI: Getting ready now to try the big attack in Palembang. I feel very nervous about this one. How bad will the oil numbers be after an extended siege and several different attacks over that time? Bombers hit the troops again as did ground bombardments, and the AV is down to 589. Nearly there.

Allied troops totaling 150+ AV (where is he getting all of these troops?!?) shock again at Djambi, and the defenders luckily hold on. Looks like the Dutch here are nearly out of supply so this could prove the decisive moment. More elements of the 2nd division are being flown in.

CHINA: The troops leaving Henyang look like they'll make it to the rough now. I may circle back my 1k AV to attack Henyang. coming in from this direction would complete a surround of the city. Even though I know they come back, I'm going to try to take the troops out. This will make my further advances in the South toward kweilin much easier. Troops are also circling back to Changsha where we have nearly a 3:1 advantage in AV. I'm bombarding daily to waste Chinese supply.

PI: Another d*** bockade running single trnasport was sunk by Vals today. It's not likely these ships are getting much of their supply unloaded, but it sucks, still. Doesn't it seem likely that a big slow ship like this just might be noticed filing through the 1,000 miles of enemy territory it had to traverse?

There will be a sub and a DD on station in two days.

BURMA: It's getting tense at Pegu. All troops but one regiment are in the hex, and I need to attack tomorrow to have a chance to get this before he moves the last division back in.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR March 31, 1942

ASW attack near Langkawi at 48,71

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei
BB Haruna
BB Kongo
DD Samidare
DD Yudachi
DD Harusame
DD Ariake
DD Hatsushima

Allied Ships
SS Tarpon, hits 3

SS Tarpon is sighted by escort
Tarpon bottoming out ....
DD Ariake fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Hatsushima fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Hatsushima attacking submerged sub ....
DD Hatsushima fails to find sub, continues to search...

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Bataan at 78,77

Raid spotted at 16 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
D3A1 Val x 6

No Japanese losses

Allied Ships
xAK Jefferson Myers, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
2 x D3A1 Val releasing from 2000'
4 x D3A1 Val releasing from 3000'

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 3967 troops, 28 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 156

Defending force 2060 troops, 36 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 59

Allied adjusted assault: 30

Japanese adjusted defense: 51

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
257 casualties reported

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
193 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 38 disabled

Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
NS KNIL Territory Regiment

Defending units:
2nd/B Div /1
55th Const Co
21st JAAF AF Bn
4th JAAF AF Coy

The Jefferson Myers. Blockade runner.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/18/2013 7:04:57 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 440
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/18/2013 7:15:17 AM   
JocMeister

Perhaps is time to talk to Torsten? I think it quite common knowledge the engine has problems dealing with 1 ship TFs. Using that to take advantage is kind of.... Tell him to use 2 ship TFs instead and you will see them from a 1000 miles away.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 441
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/18/2013 8:57:47 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Perhaps is time to talk to Torsten? I think it quite common knowledge the engine has problems dealing with 1 ship TFs. Using that to take advantage is kind of.... Tell him to use 2 ship TFs instead and you will see them from a 1000 miles away.

In the most recent discussion I saw about this many people were saying it is not the engine, but the amount of search in the area. They said they didn't have a problem finding these ships as long as they were searching a lot. Well, this ship would have had to come through and area that has several Jake groups plus these Vals set to search 20% to 6 hexes. They would also traverse and area that has had combat ships with search planes running consistently during the past weeks. So I think that whatever the engine does here, it is not realistically showing that these ships would undoubtedly be noticed. I also own all of Minadanao and may of the bases in the area, so it would be hard in reality to sneak a massive slow transport by all of that.

I could talk to him, but I will save that up for now. If it keeps happening and i can still stop it, then I can mention it later with more evidence. I'll just let him go now that I've got adequate protection at the entrance to the Bataan hex. Unless there are a lot I haven't seen, the damage should be minimal. The port is getting damaged now too, so any unload will be much longer.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 442
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/19/2013 9:42:14 AM   
obvert

1 April 1942

SUBS: I keep getting lucky with the subs. Even the S-40 misses a returning convoy today.

BURMA: April 1 was no joke. The Pegu DA didn't turn out quite as planned. The 2nd division moving from Moulmein did make it bak into the hex, and there was a third division, the British Burma division, also there. Needless to say, our troops were surprised and did not fare well. A recon regiment was wiped off the board completely, and most other units are at 2/3 strength with high disruption. If he counters tomorrow we could be in trouble here.

I've doubled back with several convoys to pick up the division moving to Moulmein. The Thais are across the river from Pegu, so if he attacks and pursues into Rangoon I'll move those in behind him. A tense moment.

In the air zeros swept away most of a LR CAP of hurries and P-40s, and bombers tried to hit the Brits, but with little effect. Tomorrow I'll be the one LR CAPing the Pegu units.

DEI: Palembang is ready to go. The Dutch are down to 530 AV and everything is rested up. A DA is on for tomorrow!

It's time to get this out of the way, however it may go for the oil, and move these troops elsewhere. Should this go well, I have three goals to accomplish in the next two months or so.

1. Solidifying the SE DEI including Koepang and garrisoning all against Allied incursions.

2. Liqudating Allied troops on Luzon and getting these troops out of thereto more useful areas.

3. Maintaining equilibrium in Burma while more divisions become available to assist there. I have not ruled out a move to India now that I know he is piling troops forward. When Junyo and Ryuho become available I'll have a slight edge in CV power, and I plan to use it.

CHINA: Sian keeps getting pounded. I'm now sending a flanking army around Sian to the North. Forces are doubling back to Henyang as well.

PI: No more rogue ships to kill today. The DD is in place as is a sub.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 1, 42

ASW attack near Tandjoengbalai at 48,78

Japanese Ships
DMS W-14
CM Natsushima
CM Kamome
xAP Kanzyu Maru
DD Akatsuki

Allied Ships
SS S-40

SS S-40 launches 4 torpedoes at DMS W-14
DD Akatsuki fails to find sub, continues to search...

ASW attack near Langkawi at 48,72

Japanese Ships
DMS W-17
xAK Toba Maru
xAK Seian Maru
xAK Terushima Maru
SC Ch 15

Allied Ships
SS Tarpon, hits 4

SS Tarpon launches 4 torpedoes at DMS W-17
Tarpon bottoming out ....
SC Ch 15 fails to find sub, continues to search...
SC Ch 15 attacking submerged sub ....
SC Ch 15 fails to find sub, continues to search...

Morning Air attack on Pegu , at 55,53

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 29

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIa Trop x 9
Hurricane IIb Trop x 3
P-40E Warhawk x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 3 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 15000 feet

CAP engaged:
AVG/1st Sqn with P-40E Warhawk (10 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
10 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Raid is overhead
No.17 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIa Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 9 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 15000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 2 minutes
No.232 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 2 minutes

Morning Air attack on 36th Chinese Division, at 55,53 (Pegu)

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17
G3M2 Nell x 24
G4M1 Betty x 24

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIa Trop x 4

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 2 damaged
G3M2 Nell: 1 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Allied ground losses:
31 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
24 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on 1st KNIL Regiment, at 48,91 (Palembang)

Raid spotted at 18 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 30
G4M1 Betty x 23

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
175 casualties reported
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 18 disabled

Aircraft Attacking:
30 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on 17th Indian Division, at 55,53 (Pegu)

Raid detected at 37 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 6
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 10
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 40

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIa Trop x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 5 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIa Trop: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
13 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet
27 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet

Ground combat at Pegu (55,53)

Attacking force 28380 troops, 234 guns, 315 vehicles, Assault Value = 1152

Defending force 41530 troops, 605 guns, 413 vehicles, Assault Value = 1513

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 264

Allied adjusted defense: 733

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2650 casualties reported
Squads: 56 destroyed, 297 disabled
Non Combat: 45 destroyed, 34 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 65 disabled
Guns lost 30 (6 destroyed, 24 disabled)
Vehicles lost 69 (26 destroyed, 43 disabled)
Units destroyed 1 A recon regiment

Allied ground losses:
1048 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 125 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 10 disabled
Guns lost 39 (2 destroyed, 37 disabled)

Assaulting units:
124th Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
144th Infantry Regiment
55th Cavalry Regiment
143rd Infantry Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
146th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
6th Tank Regiment
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
16th Army

Defending units:
1st Burma Division
Rangoon BAF Battalion
17th Indian Division
46th Indian Brigade
18th British Division
2/3rd MG Battalion
BFF Brigade
36th Chinese Division
Burma Corps
221 Group RAF
1st Burma Auxiliary AA Regiment
103rd RN Base Force
108th RAF Base Force
107th RAF Base Force
85th British AT Gun Regiment
35th Light AA Regiment

Attacking force 49571 troops, 811 guns, 284 vehicles, Assault Value = 1474

Defending force 21835 troops, 324 guns, 132 vehicles, Assault Value = 532

Allied ground losses:
144 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 14 disabled

Assaulting units:
5th Division
33rd Division
65th Brigade
4th Division
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
Yokosuka 4th SNLF
2nd Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion
1st RF Gun Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
1st KNIL Regiment
2nd KNIL Regiment
1st Regt Cavalerie
Marinier Battalion
Barisan KNIL Regiment
Tapanoeli Gsn Battalion
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
4th KNIL Regiment
Zuid KNIL Battalion
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
Riouw KNIL Battalion
SE Borneo KNIL Battalion
6th KNIL Regiment
2/15 Punjab Battalion
Padang Base Force
Palembang Base Force
Bintan Det. Base Force
Pakanbaroe Det.
Bengkalis Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
6th Heavy AA Regiment

The extensive use of the Chinese in Burma so early as well as the inclusion of two British divisions and an Indian division look to mean that Torsten is interested i keeping a hold on Burma. I'm even more glad I've invested in the landings at Rangoon now. This could prove the battleground of mid-42.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/19/2013 9:43:05 AM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 443
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/19/2013 10:05:54 AM   
JocMeister

Tense indeed! Good luck tomorrow! Have you made any plans on how your economy will do if Palembang is wrecked?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 444
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/20/2013 4:36:50 PM   
obvert

2 April 1942

PALEMBANG FALLS!!!

DEI: After extensive preparation and bombing, the troops came through today and the oil is not in bad shape! Only 72 Oil and 127 refineries are damaged! Some of those were from a bombardment run early on, so it's not bad at all. I will repair the oil, but not the refineries. The stores of oil and fuel are not high, with only 8k oil and 130k fuel. I'm sue a lot just spoiled. It's manageable, though, and that's what we needed. Dutch troops should be in a shambles, but there are a lot of them, so I may have to pursue with a division for a few more attacks. I'd like to get these guys out and moving to other areas soon.

SUBS: The KXIII caught the CL Katori on the way back to Singers today and put it down with 3 hits! Yuck. Still, losses are not high for this operation on the sea, yet anyway.

CHINA: Just some maneuver and bombing.

PI: Just bombing. Now I'll be ale to get a ton of arty here to get moving on reducing Clark.

BURMA: There were some minor air battles in the area, with the IJ coming out ahead in all of them. Most importantly, the British did not counter at Pegu, giving our forces a chance to regroup. They've all built a fort now and are much more secure after yesterday's attack.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 2, 1942

ASW attack near Phuket at 48,68

Japanese Ships
CL Katori, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Sagami Maru
xAK Kotoku Maru
xAK Koei Maru
xAK Atutasan Maru
SC Ch 8
SC Ch 6

Allied Ships
SS KXIII

SS KXIII launches 4 torpedoes at CL Katori
KXIII diving deep ....
SC Ch 8 fails to find sub and abandons search
SC Ch 6 attacking submerged sub ....
SC Ch 6 fails to find sub, continues to search...

Morning Air attack on 17th Indian Division, at 55,53 (Pegu)

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32
G3M2 Nell x 20
G4M1 Betty x 26

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIa Trop x 5
Hurricane IIb Trop x 2
P-40E Warhawk x 3

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
Hurricane IIa Trop: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
3 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
20 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
26 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet
8 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 10000 feet
5 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on Palembang Base Force, at 48,91 (Palembang)

Raid spotted at 23 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 30
G4M1 Betty x 23

Japanese aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
156 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 13 disabled
Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
30 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on 85th British AT Gun Regiment, at 55,53 (Pegu)

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 10
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 39

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIa Trop x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Allied ground losses:
10 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet
27 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 10000 feet

Morning Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Raid spotted at 12 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 12

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 2
B-17E Fortress x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 1 destroyed, 1 damaged
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
5 casualties reported

Runway hits 6

Aircraft Attacking:
1 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 10000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb
3 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 10000 feet *

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (4 airborne, 8 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters to 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 8 minutes

Attacking force 49680 troops, 811 guns, 284 vehicles, Assault Value = 1484

Defending force 21599 troops, 323 guns, 132 vehicles, Assault Value = 520

Japanese adjusted assault: 1806

Allied adjusted defense: 451

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Palembang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1273 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 262 disabled

Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Allied ground losses:
11314 casualties reported
Squads: 403 destroyed, 19 disabled
Non Combat: 664 destroyed, 50 disabled
Engineers: 61 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 209 (204 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 87 (87 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 22

Units destroyed 4

Assaulting units:
65th Brigade
4th Division
Sasebo 3rd SNLF
33rd Division
5th Division
Yokosuka 4th SNLF
2nd Mortar Battalion
1st RF Gun Battalion
5th Mortar Battalion
3rd Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
Tapanoeli Gsn Battalion
Marinier Battalion
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
6th KNIL Regiment
4th KNIL Regiment
1st KNIL Regiment
1st Regt Cavalerie
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
Riouw KNIL Battalion
2nd KNIL Regiment
Barisan KNIL Regiment
SE Borneo KNIL Battalion
Zuid KNIL Battalion
2/15 Punjab Battalion
Bengkalis Base Force
Padang Base Force
1st KNIL AA Battalion
Palembang Base Force
Bintan Det. Base Force
Pakanbaroe Det.
6th Heavy AA Regiment

This is the first of several victories that we need to get troops released and the necessaries captured. Of course this is the big one. I'm slightly glad that it worked out this way, even though I may suffer with less fuel and oil in the long run, this taught me a lot and gave me the confidence not to panic should someone in the future try fortress here.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/23/2013 12:10:22 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 445
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/20/2013 4:44:11 PM   
obvert

Just a note to mention that this turn was sent on the 16th. I've not heard a word back after almost a week of consistent 1-2 turn days with some messages back and forth. I'll check in with Torsten again if the silence reaches a week.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 446
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/20/2013 11:21:29 PM   
obvert

A note from Torsten arrived hours after my post above, asking if I knew a turn was in the box. Confused, I tried it. It asked for player 2, so I think he didn't finish the turn and thought it was up. I had assumed earlier that i tried a turn that I'd finished.

Oh, well. At least I'm caught up in the AAR.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 447
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/23/2013 1:08:47 PM   
obvert

3 April 1942

Well, we got it sorted. Torsten had thought the one in the box was still his, and I thought it was mine thatI'd sent back. Looks like it turned out to be from me, so he ran it and sent a reply that night. It's been a good stretch. No guarantees it'll continue at this kind of pace, but Torsten is committed to seeing where this goes, so I feel confident I'll be able to plan and prepare for the future.

SUBS: Lots of subs popping up between Singers and Palembang. Lots of ASW heading out to meet them.

DEI: Mines are cleared from Batavia and ASW is sent out toward Palembang as I prepare to get divisions off of Sumatra and out to new destinations.

The Allies tried a desperate attack at Djambi, but came up far short again. It'll be impossible for him to get this now, and I'll begin bombing those troops to further prepare to push them back.

CHINA: Two groups of the AVG are back in China, based at Kweilin today. They got in the way of some sweeping Oscars trying to clear the way for bombers between Henyang and Kweilin. The Oscars got the better of it today with about a 3:1 ratio including ops losses.

I shocked a brigade over the river from Siantang into Changsha and that took the brigade to about half-strength, but opened the door for a division that will follow tomorrow. When that arrives I'll bombard and then DA. There are level 5 forts here, but with air dominance and over 3:1 AV I should be able to get a positive result if the engineers bring them down one level during the attack.

PACIFIC: Many engineers and naval guard units have been waiting for Operation Python to finish so I could begin to allocate more A6M2 to fighter units in the Pacific and support landings in the Solomons and PNG areas. I'll send in more engineers and I'm also sending base forces and naval guard units to all of the islands facing NW OZ to get the area covered and Koepang isolated. I feel like I don't have enough eyes over there to reinforce and finish it off yet.

BURMA: He had a LR CAP waiting over Pegu, and the hurries proved tough, but losses are minimal. My sweep came in after the bombers and we got about even numbers all together here.

I'm feeling fortunate he didn't attack with the superior numbers he had at Pegu, but maybe there was not enough supply. He seems to be moving the troops up the road toward Toungoo now. I'm feigning a crossing over the river from Moulmein to Pegu by the Thais, but actually I'll only let them go if the Brits move out. I don't want to trash these just yet. Rangoon is building forts now and should be able to hold off any put by the Brits even if he had attacked after that first day.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 3, 1942

TF 44 encounters mine field at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Ships
DMS W-20
DMS W-19
DMS W-1

51 mines cleared

Night Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53

Raid spotted at 45 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 6

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 1
Runway hits 1

Aircraft Attacking:
6 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 6000 feet *

TF 44 encounters mine field at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Ships
DMS W-20
DMS W-19
DMS W-1

58 mines cleared

Morning Air attack on 2nd Chinese Corps, at 77,53 , near Kweilin

Raid spotted at 33 NM, estimated altitude 17,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 30

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 11
P-40E Warhawk x 16

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ic Oscar: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
H81-A3: 4 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk: 2 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 15000 feet *

CAP engaged:
AVG/2nd Sqn with H81-A3 (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 11 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 13000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 1 minutes
AVG/3rd Sqn with P-40E Warhawk (16 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
16 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 22000
Raid is overhead

Morning Air attack on 18th British Division, at 55,53 (Pegu)

Raid detected at 32 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 32
G3M2 Nell x 19
G4M1 Betty x 19

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 2
P-40E Warhawk x 6

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed
G3M2 Nell: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses

Allied ground losses:
43 casualties reported

Aircraft Attacking:
19 x G3M2 Nell bombing from 10000 feet
19 x G4M1 Betty bombing from 10000 feet

CAP engaged:
AVG/1st Sqn with P-40E Warhawk (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 20000
Raid is overhead
No.232 Sqn RAF with Hurricane IIb Trop (2 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead
49th PG/HqS with P-40E Warhawk (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead

Morning Air attack on Pegu , at 55,53

Raid detected at 28 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 9 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 17

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIb Trop x 1
P-40E Warhawk x 2

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x A6M2 Zero sweeping at 20000 feet

Morning Air attack on Changsha , at 82,52

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 51
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 17
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 10
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 25
Ki-51 Sonia x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 3 damaged
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 18

Aircraft Attacking:
18 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on 91st Naval Guard Unit, at 56,49 , near Toungoo

Raid spotted at 19 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-44 Tojo x 3

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 8

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 3 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
8 x B-17E Fortress bombing from 10000 feet
Ground Attack: 8 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
47th I.F.Chutai with Ki-44 Tojo (3 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
Raid is overhead

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 62124 troops, 495 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 2221

Defending force 20904 troops, 131 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 712

Japanese adjusted assault: 148

Allied adjusted defense: 1771

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 11 (fort level 5)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
1820 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 193 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 19 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
171 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled

Assaulting units:
34th Division
55th Infantry Brigade
3rd Division
57th Infantry Brigade
40th Division
12th Ind.Mixed Brigade
61st Infantry Brigade
11th Army

Defending units:
58th Chinese Corps
26th Chinese Corps
37th Chinese Corps
87th Chinese Corps
17th Chinese Base Force

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 3658 troops, 27 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 121

Defending force 2557 troops, 47 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 73

Allied adjusted assault: 7

Japanese adjusted defense: 113

Allied assault odds: 1 to 16 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
88 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Allied ground losses:
204 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 18 disabled

Assaulting units:
NS KNIL Territory Regiment

Defending units:
2nd/C Div /1
2nd/B Div /1
21st JAAF AF Bn
55th Const Co
4th JAAF AF Coy

The AVG is again back in China. This is good for me, but I have to be careful. It's easy for them to pop around and surprise unescorted bombers. All strikes will move en masse with escorts and preceding sweeps right now. I'll also target their bases once I find their final destination. Especially if its off of the rail.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/23/2013 1:09:16 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 448
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/24/2013 3:35:10 PM   
obvert

4 April 1942

SUBS: One contact with a small hit on a Dutch sub.

DEI: I'm sending the pieces of the 2nd division to Djambi to rejoin and push the invading Dutch out. All other remaining units will wait to move on Benkolen until they're rested and built up a bit. No hurry. Other troops are days away from Sabang. On Java some SNLF units are moving to Tilitjap, the last bastion here. I'm occasionally bombing the fields. For the rest of the DEI I've got Naval Guard units moving in from Truk and other spots to invest the vacant islands between New Guinea, Timor and OZ. I'm reconning Christmas Island which at 5/6 DL appears empty. Soon I'll send a fast transport to capture the ports on the backside of Sumatra.

CHINA: Changsha is the target for the next assault. All units are now in the base and a bombardment is on for tomorrow. I'm hitting both troops and fields to get everything disrupted and drop moral.

PI: This will be the next destination for the artillery units coming out of Palembang. I need to begin pushing through Allied supply here. Forts have likely been stopped for months due to daily milkruns with the Sallys and Lilys here, but there is still flak so there is still supply. Add on the mystery ship blockade runners, which I'm not confident were all seen, and there could be more than I'd like still here.

PACIFIC: A group of 18 zeros moved to Buna to protect shipping in the area. No bombers or fighters are listed at Port Moresby. Just 26k troops! It may be a while before I decide whether I want to tackle this base. I'll see how Burma is going.

BURMA: The Brits are nearly out of Pegu. Still musing over why he quit here. Maybe he wants to set up a line farther on in decent territory. Soon I'll have three supported divisions plus the four Thai divisions able to move forward. I plan to push ahead even before I have decent odds. I want to see how he plans to defend, and if there is a chance to lock things in one place I will in order to then bring more in and drop the hammer. Even after sending the reinforcements to Clark I should have two free divisions to use in DEI and OZ or Burma.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 4, 42

Raid spotted at 37 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 73
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 37
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 10
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 3 damaged

Allied ground losses:
173 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Airbase hits 11
Airbase supply hits 6
Runway hits 53

Aircraft Attacking:
25 x Ki-21-Ic Sally bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 250 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Hengyang , at 80,53

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 74

No Japanese losses

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 7
Runway hits 47

Aircraft Attacking:
23 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 6000 feet
Airfield Attack: 4 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Morning Air attack on Koepang , at 68,116

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 28
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 23
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 10

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-IIa Sally: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 18

I haven't worked quite as hard to buy out units from Manchuria or to upgrade all bomber groups in China. I still have a lot of Lilys going, which are doing fine with airfield suppression especially. So far I haven't needed the hammer in China with the air force. Just a hard peck here and there from time to time.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/24/2013 3:38:06 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 449
RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) - 1/27/2013 8:00:57 PM   
obvert

5 April 1942

SUBS: Near Shimizu an xAK gets torpedoed. It survives though and might make it back to base with the portion of the base force cargo in tact. I also lost an xAKL in the DEI to a Dutch sub. I put the KB out one hex from Singers patrolling with Jakes, Vals and Kates in ASW mode. I'm out of range of any strike across Sumatra and there are 5-6 separate ASW TFs scurrying around the area. While he's got them in the shallows I'd like to take advantage, but I also need to cover for the many troops sailing by in the next week. This will get some good training to KB pilots as well.

DEI: Troops are loading up for Luzon. I'll send three divisions and all of the arty I can scrape up. Most of it is already sitting in Palembang.

TFs are heading out from the Central Pacific to take bases in the SE DEI.

CHINA: A bombardment today went well enough to try a DA tomorrow at Changsha. At 5 forts it could be a bear, but the IJAAF has been hitting the Chinese hard, so I feel confident we can drop forts and get a positive result. The flanking move near Sian is going well and supply seems to be flowing there. Only a few more days to get around and see what havoc we can cause in the North.

PI: There is plenty of supply on Luzon, the fields at Clark and Bataan are trashed, and troops will arrive soon.

BURMA: A few minor air skirmishes around Prome, in which the Allies sweep away from our basest hit smaller numbers of CAP. A regiment is about to take this base, and the stranded troops will at last be united with a supply line and get to safety. The only thing in the way is the Gloucester battalion (40 AV), and I'll DA tomorrow.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR April 5, 1942

Sub attack near Shimizu at 112,62

Japanese Ships
xAK Wakatu Maru, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage
xAK Hamburg Maru
PB Kaiyo Maru #1

Allied Ships
SS O16

Japanese ground losses:
11 casualties reported
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

SS O16 launches 4 torpedoes at xAK Wakatu Maru
PB Kaiyo Maru #1 fails to find sub, continues to search...

Sub attack near Muntok at 51,89

Japanese Ships
xAKL Yosyu Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
PB Hirotama Maru

Allied Ships
SS KXVII, hits 3

SS KXVII launches 2 torpedoes at xAKL Yosyu Maru
PB Hirotama Maru attacking submerged sub ....
PB Hirotama Maru fails to find sub, continues to search...

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 35 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21-Ic Sally x 38
Ki-21-IIa Sally x 18
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 7
Ki-48-Ib Lily x 27
Ki-51 Sonia x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 1 damaged
Ki-48-Ib Lily: 1 damaged
Ki-51 Sonia: 1 damaged

Allied ground losses:
86 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 21

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x Ki-48-Ib Lily bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 2 x 100 kg GP Bomb

Afternoon Air attack on 1st Raiding Regiment, at 56,50 , near Prome

Raid spotted at 8 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 1 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 18

Allied aircraft
Hurricane IIa Trop x 8

Japanese aircraft losses

No Allied losses

CAP engaged:
3rd Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(13 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 7 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 39 minutes
Tainan Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 8 out of immediate contact.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 31 minutes

Afternoon Air attack on 1st Raiding Regiment, at 56,50 , near Prome

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 21,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 13

Allied aircraft
P-39D Airacobra x 9

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-39D Airacobra: 1 destroyed

Attacking force 73227 troops, 597 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 2535

Defending force 20810 troops, 132 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 689

Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses
6 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
6th Division
3rd Division
12th Ind.Mixed Brigade
40th Division
34th Division
55th Infantry Brigade
57th Infantry Brigade
61st Infantry Brigade
11th Army

Defending units:
58th Chinese Corps
26th Chinese Corps
37th Chinese Corps
87th Chinese Corps
17th Chinese Base Force

Ground combat at 56,50 (near Prome)

Attacking force 522 troops, 11 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 125

Defending force 828 troops, 8 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 40

Assaulting units:
91st Naval Guard Unit
1st Raiding Regiment
21st Div /1

Defending units:
1st Gloucestershire Battalion

Pobably realizing it's one of his most versatile and best defensive fighters currently, Torsten has been using P-39 Airacobras in the Burma region. He also has a lot of them. Interesting move. We'll soon see how hey fare with the Tojo.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by obvert -- 1/27/2013 9:00:19 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Elephant Vanishes :: obvert (J) vs Historiker (A) Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI