Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Is Football a Dying Sport?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 12:17:36 AM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski
It makes no sense that the "leader" of the free world would have have time to comment on this issue. Much less start pontificating that even high school students are not "old enough to decide whether to play football". He actually said that. I don't care which political party a president belongs to, he/she/it has no business in this kind of thing, so don't even think of attacking me on this. Oh well, our leader was speaking, AGAIN, of the "...son" he does not have.

I guess he was taking a break from destroying America wholesale and doing it one issue at time?

For those who think it is dying:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-super-bowl-ratings-20130204,0,4439351.story

"The game scored a 48.1 rating and a 71 share in a select measurement of big cities, which would make it the most-watched TV event in U.S. history."

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 31
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 12:38:08 AM   
rodney727

From what I can tell the OP likes to cause a fuss then leave. I see she is from Arizona which explains a lot. Take it with a grain of salt. Lesson learned.
quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

quote:

It makes no sense that the "leader" of the free world would have have time to comment on this issue. Much less start pontificating that even high school students are not "old enough to decide whether to play football". He actually said that. I don't care which political party a president belongs to, he/she/it has no business in this kind of thing, so don't even think of attacking me on this. Oh well, our leader was speaking, AGAIN, of the "...son" he does not have.

I guess he was taking a break from destroying America wholesale and doing it one issue at time?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-super-bowl-ratings-20130204,0,4439351.story

"The game scored a 48.1 rating and a 71 share in a select measurement of big cities, which would make it the most-watched TV event in U.S. history."

RR

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 32
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 12:52:46 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

From what I can tell the OP likes to cause a fuss then leave. I see she is from Arizona which explains a lot. Take it with a grain of salt. Lesson learned.
quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

quote:

RR

Hey rogo. As much as I disagree with much of Rhondas politics, she is a valued member of this forum and doesn't deserve any snark thrown at her. Rhonda commented on a story, gave her opinion concerning her family, and then asked what others thought.

Your post was out of line imo and you should really reconsider disparaging her and the state she lives in.

Sometimes I think you are a little too passionate here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and Rhonda was clearly interested in those of others.

Eric

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 33
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 1:14:21 AM   
rodney727

Just expensing my opinion...while she supports the view of woman on the front lines as I do I found her statement of not encouraging her grand kids not to play football because its to dangerous to be ridiculous.at best. Yes it's her opinion and I respect that and she would even tell you Arizona politics makes no sense do I really need to state the obvious here?

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 2/5/2013 1:28:40 AM >

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 34
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 1:23:18 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Hey rogo. As much as I disagree with much of Rhondas politics, she is a valued member of this forum and doesn't deserve any snark thrown at her. Rhonda commented on a story, gave her opinion concerning her family, and then asked what others thought.

Your post was out of line imo and you should really reconsider disparaging her and the state she lives in.

Sometimes I think you are a little too passionate here. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and Rhonda was clearly interested in those of others.

Eric

did you even read the article “Rhonda” linked up ?..........it’s hardly an objective look at the sport, I really liked the comparison to the Catholic Church

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 35
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 1:31:20 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

Eric

did you even read the article “Rhonda” linked up ?..........it’s hardly an objective look at the sport, I really liked the comparison to the Catholic Church

Honestly, no.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 2/5/2013 1:39:07 AM >

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 36
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 1:34:51 AM   
rodney727

quote:

Good grief!!!!!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

Eric

Honestly, no.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 2/5/2013 1:37:14 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 37
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 1:39:30 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

Ah Salon. The self loathing America hating one sided hypocrisy site. I have no interest in reading their agenda..er..opinion. Really. They have already proved themselves unworthy many times.

Still doesn't change my feelings on what I posted.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 38
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 1:42:10 AM   
rodney727

I respect that but always going to post my opinion....especially when members post ludicrous links like she did then support woman on the front lines of combat duty.
quote:

Ah Salon. The self loathing America hating one sided hypocrisy site. I have no interest in reading their agenda..er..opinion. Really. They have already proved themselves unworthy many times.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 2/5/2013 1:46:10 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 39
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 4:04:05 AM   
RedArgo

All it will take is one coach who puts a kid back in when he knows better with the right parents/lawyers and we will have that lawsuit regardless of what the parents/kids signed. Then insurance rates go up and football is already the most expensive sport for schools, so some may make the choice to drop football. I don't know of any schools considering it either, but I don't find it that much of a stretch.

I hope you're right about the safety measures the schools are taking, it would be a shame if the kids didn't have the opportunity to play.

quote:

Simply no. Kids today are required to sign papers releasing the school from such lawsuits. In Nebraska you are allowed a max number of three concussions. Which I feel should really be two. High schools today have strict rules about injuries and if a coach has any doubt about any injury they are required to pull that student right away. They are only liable if they knowingly put the student back in after the fact. I strongly disagree this post below. Don't know of any school considering dropping a football program based on head injuries.
quote:

ORIGINAL: RedArgo

What could end football is not injuries to the adults who play in the NFL, but injuries that occur to children playing in high school and before. Once some high school ends up on the wrong end of a multi-million dollar law suit over brain injury, schools will have to make tough decisions about the future of continuing football programs.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 40
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 4:10:51 AM   
RedArgo

How many centuries where people smoking tobacco? Once scientists figured out the risks and lawyers convinced a jury that big tobacco had been hiding the fact, the lawsuits were flying.

The NFL is already involved in law suits about what they knew and when about head injuries. I just find it likely that the NCAA and high schools will eventually be targeted too. I'm not saying I agree, just my opinion that it will happen sooner or later.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

What could end football is not injuries to the adults who play in the NFL, but injuries that occur to children playing in high school and before. Once some high school ends up on the wrong end of a multi-million dollar law suit over brain injury, schools will have to make tough decisions about the future of continuing football programs.

But how many decades have people been playing high school football?

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 41
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 4:16:49 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Your probley correct.
quote:

How many centuries where people smoking tobacco? Once scientists figured out the risks and lawyers convinced a jury that big tobacco had been hiding the fact, the lawsuits were flying.

The NFL is already involved in law suits about what they knew and when about head injuries. I just find it likely that the NCAA and high schools will eventually be targeted too. I'm not saying I agree, just my opinion that it will happen sooner or later.

quote:

quote:

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 42
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 5:33:36 AM   
rhondabrwn

Wow... so much vitriol...

1. Thanks Reb, for your support, you are a true gentleman :)

2. Yes, I'm in Arizona... home of the looney rightwing radicals that have made this state the biggest joke in the Union, but they don't represent me and we're working hard to throw these jerks out of office and turn the state the Blue. Which I do believe we shall do by the 2016 and possibly 2014. AZ went for Mittens, but the Dems took 5 out of 9 congressional districts... a huge swing. You probably didn't notice.

3. Surprisingly, you all missed my concern. I realize people get concussions and broken bones and pulled muscles in sports and that is the risk they take. However, this article is about slow, incremental brain damage from heavy contact that has shown up in 33 out of 34 brain autopsies of deceased NFL players including several whose suicides are linked to said brain damage. That is what I found alarming and why I would be very much in opposition to my grandchildren playing football (though my sons are Snowboarders so I doubt that football is going to be an issue - though I'm not all that happy about extreme snowboarding either, but you don't get incremental brain damage from every run down a mountain... just don't hit a tree). The point is you can blow out a knee in any contact sport and live a decent life... if you end up brain impaired... it's a real tragedy. If you all want to put your kids in Pop Warner football and get them on that track knowing the risk reflected in this article, go right on ahead. I'm not telling you what to do.

4. I don't see any hypocrisy in my supporting a woman's right to serve in combat. I'm not talking about assumed risk, I'm talking about unknown risks like serving in Viet Nam with Agent Orange getting sprayed on top of you and all the vets who came home to cancer, birth defects, diabetes and a host of other Agent Orange ailments while the government pretended that they were all making it up. BTW... I also support women competing in sports against men if they want to try it. I'm not saying someone should force a male team to take on women players, but if they have open tryouts and a woman beats out a man for the position... why not?

5. Someone implied I was a troublemaker who started a thread and then didn't come back to take the heat and respond. I'm on an off-grid ranch with solar power and when it clouds up I don't have the power to spare to fire up the computer and get online. I'm also busy all day taking care of all the animals, managing my power and water systems, cutting firewood plus doing things like laundry, housecleaning, baking and cooking. This is the first time I've had a chance to sit down since I got out of bed this morning. That's pretty a pretty typical day. Matrix forums are not my priority... staying in touch with my family, friends, and former students on Facebook is a priority. Which is why you haven't seen much of me lately... I'm working harder in retirement than I did working! I'm also still working out on a daily basis to get toned up, lose weight, and whip my Diabetes.

6. Some of you really need to chill out on the politics. I've got paranoid neighbors with guns making casual threats about killing that is really scary. Nothing good is going to come of people taking their political views to the point of violence instead of peaceful and respectful debate. Yes, I'm a feminist, progressive, liberal, but you don't see me making personal attacks against people. If I ever do, chastize me severely because I believe in honest, open, debate and discussion, and respectful disagreement if it comes to that.

7. Oh yes, someone mentioned boxing... one of the reason boxing has fallen out of favor to a great extent is the problem of brain damage affecting boxers. Doesn't Mohamed Ali suffer from brain dysfunction from his boxing career? I wouldn't want my grandchildren taking up boxing either. We had a Dean of Students back at Pinon who was a former champion boxer in the Marines. Very impressive, then about two months into the year he began having trouble speaking. It was eventually diagnosed as brain lesions from... you guessed it... his boxing. They let him go at the end of the year and I heard he went on Social Security Disability because he couldn't work. It wasn't pretty to see this happen.

Is that everything?

I've got nothing more to say on the issue.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 43
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 7:37:38 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I just find it very hard to believe that there is this magnifying glass on football when you have several sports where the objective is to beat the opponent senseless. Boxing, MMA, UFC...

I'm not wilting daisy or whatever they call it. I participated in an amateur boxing club. Two of the guys on in my club went on to win titles in amateur boxing - one in the bantam weight and one in welterweight.

Hell, I loved watching boxing as a kid and still like watching a good boxing match, but about 80% of the punches in pro boxing go straight to the head. You would think they'd be more worried about that.

I've got to put in my 2 cents here since I did my share of full contact fighting in the 90s. Yes, there is a chance of a concussion in MMA and the UFC, but it's waaaaaaaaay lower than boxing for a couple of reasons. And brain damage? Forget it. First, because you have shots at all parts of the body from head to toe. Second, a lot of the matches are won by submission from joint locks. And third, brain damage is pretty non existent because MMA fighters use 6 once gloves. That means you can get knocked out in one punch. Concussion? Maybe. Brain damage? No.

Boxing is different. Shots are waist level and above with a lot more shots to the head. Plus you have heavier gloves, which means you can take a lot more shots to the head and keep going, compared to MMA where you're going down after a couple of hits. Brain damage is from the cumulative shots over time.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all, and I'm not, but MMA is something I've personally had experience in. Fractured ribs and broken toes are the dangers, not brain damage. But trying teaching the media that.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 44
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 2:08:17 PM   
rodney727

Make no mistake football pays the bills especially on the college level. As in any sport there is always a chance of serious injury. It is a risk that every student and parent accepts. Let me put it this way... You leave your house to go to Walmart . You park in lot and get out of your car... You take two steps and trip on a small stone fall down and hit your head and injure your spine and god forbid you can't walk. Who's fault is it? Is Walmart liable? Of course not. Students before they play anything are informed of the risks and that's for each sport.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 45
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 2:41:14 PM   
parusski

quote:

I read it, which made me wonder why some people don't just find a more "enlightened" country to move to. But Rhonda is not a bomb thrower. I have always liked R.

I disagree with some members about politics, but I never get angry at anyone. Although quiet often some people have tossed insults my way(as happens when I try to have these discussions in the real world) it is not cool to resort to nastiness.

Intolerance is intolerably!

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 46
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 2:46:01 PM   
vonRocko

"Make no mistake football pays the bills especially on the college level."
Yeah, at the expense of academics and learning. The culture of college football is distastefull, look at penn state. There is a local college near me that can't afford a library expansion, but they just installed a new sport stadium. Where are their priorities?

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 47
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 9:40:11 PM   
rodney727

The only thing I find distasteful is how Iowa loses to its rivals every year. College football is a time when good friends get together its deeply imbedded in American culture . It's personal and a sense of great pride.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 48
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 9:54:42 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

I read it, which made me wonder why some people don't just find a more "enlightened" country to move to. But Rhonda is not a bomb thrower. I have always liked R.

I disagree with some members about politics, but I never get angry at anyone. Although quiet often some people have tossed insults my way(as happens when I try to have these discussions in the real world) it is not cool to resort to nastiness.

Right on, my friend :)

Would like to see you change that "Wyoming, Liberals not allowed" statement though. I'd like to visit Wyoming some day and would hope I would be welcomed

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 49
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 10:02:11 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

Would like to see you change that "Wyoming, Liberals not allowed" statement though. I'd like to visit Wyoming some day and would hope I would be welcomed

DOH! Normally my real life "liberal" friends roll their eyes at the "no liberals allowed". But since you are a fellow traveler on this all important journey...I shall take it down. I, as a CONSERVATIVE, welcome everyone.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 50
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 10:05:50 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

DOH! Normally my real life "liberal" friends roll their eyes at the "no liberals allowed". But since you are a fellow traveler on this all important journey...I shall take it down. I, as a CONSERVATIVE, welcome everyone.

Much appreciated :) You can't convince people to switch to your point of view if you don't engage with them! I'll bet a "face to face" with you guys would be quite interesting. All are welcome at Rainbow's End ranch (and no, that's not a GLBT statement, it's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow statement )

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 51
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 10:06:49 PM   
rodney727

Are gdi's welcomed in Wyoming ?
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 52
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 11:29:12 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

3. Surprisingly, you all missed my concern. I realize people get concussions and broken bones and pulled muscles in sports and that is the risk they take. However, this article is about slow, incremental brain damage from heavy contact that has shown up in 33 out of 34 brain autopsies of deceased NFL players including several whose suicides are linked to said brain damage. That is what I found alarming and why I would be very much in opposition to my grandchildren playing football (though my sons are Snowboarders so I doubt that football is going to be an issue - though I'm not all that happy about extreme snowboarding either, but you don't get incremental brain damage from every run down a mountain... just don't hit a tree). The point is you can blow out a knee in any contact sport and live a decent life... if you end up brain impaired... it's a real tragedy. If you all want to put your kids in Pop Warner football and get them on that track knowing the risk reflected in this article, go right on ahead. I'm not telling you what to do.

My point is that brain damage is an occupational hazard in a certain profession. And yes, being a professional athlete in the NFL is an occupation. These are full grown men with experience in football. They know what they are getting into. And they are well paid.

But to answer your thread title, football is far from being a dying sport. Not even close.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 53
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/5/2013 11:53:33 PM   
Sarge

quote:

football is already the most expensive sport for schools, so some may make the choice to drop football. I don't know of any schools considering it either,

no its not, it the only profitable sport at the HS level..........

Do you have any idea what that would do to ALL other sport programs and tuitions for that matter, well I do ... I coached HS baseball and I’m here to tell you Football literally pays for every other sport an still brings in BIG money for winning schools . Now bring that up one notch to NCAA, good luck with funding every other sport at the NCAA level not to mention faculty cuts, tuition skyrocketing along with a host of other “football” funded resources……………..it would decimate many schools

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 54
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/6/2013 12:29:41 AM   
rhondabrwn

I should mention that Football is my favorite sport to watch (when I watch sports). The closest thing to military tactics (SPI had a game called Scrimmage back in the day that reduced football to unit counters and various performance factors as you gamed a play one hex at a time).

So, I'm not cheerleading the possible demise of the sport, just concerned about these long term brain injuries that, if confirmed, need to be addressed with rule changes, better protective gear and an awareness by the players that they need to protect their heads from aggressive contact.

And my concern for my grandkids, of course, though since my younger son actually cracked his spine doing a dangerous Snowboard jump and flip that nearly put him into a wheel chair for life, I have equal concerns about the grandkids snowboarding (which I'm sure they will definitely do, both sons are really into the sport).

Forgive an old lady her fears.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 55
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/6/2013 1:03:42 AM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What the heck is a gdi??

rhondabrwn, I just changed the "liberal thing", how do u like it now?? Also, I never get angry at those with wrong..er different opinions.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 56
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/6/2013 1:08:28 AM   
parusski

quote:

I should mention that Football is my favorite sport to watch (when I watch sports). The closest thing to military tactics (SPI had a game called Scrimmage back in the day that reduced football to unit counters and various performance factors as you gamed a play one hex at a time).

So, I'm not cheerleading the possible demise of the sport, just concerned about these long term brain injuries that, if confirmed, need to be addressed with rule changes, better protective gear and an awareness by the players that they need to protect their heads from aggressive contact.

And my concern for my grandkids, of course, though since my younger son actually cracked his spine doing a dangerous Snowboard jump and flip that nearly put him into a wheel chair for life, I have equal concerns about the grandkids snowboarding (which I'm sure they will definitely do, both sons are really into the sport).

Forgive an old lady her fears.

On the tolerance thing, let's see something completely different. Sorry, but this is just hilarious:

Virginia Beach, Va. – "Everything seems picture perfect on Victor Road in the Hilltop Manor neighborhood of Virginia Beach, until you see the sign posted in Jeanine Wenger’s front yard that reads, “Parking reserved for the neighborhood A–hole only.”

http://wtkr.com/2013/02/01/beach-neighbors-in-heated-dispute-over-sign/

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 57
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/6/2013 1:15:21 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What the heck is a gdi??

rhondabrwn, I just changed the "liberal thing", how do u like it now?? Also, I never get angry at those with wrong..er different opinions.

So much better! Brings out that inner sweetness that we all know and love about you :)

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 58
RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? - 2/6/2013 1:31:45 AM   
rodney727

Gosh darn independent !
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What the heck is a gdi??

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 59
"Why Can't We All Just Get Along?" - 2/6/2013 8:48:01 AM   
berto

quote:

Gosh darn independent !

I'm "gosh darned" then.

I'm a post-partisan independent, but with strong, profound libertarian leanings: left-wing foreign policy, social issues; right-wing economics. A true libertarian, not a ("far right") wolf in (libertarian) sheep's clothing. (In the mid 1970s, I was Secretary and newsletter editor of the Libertarian Party of Illinois.)

I've voted for Libertarian Party candidates for most of my adult life. A small handful of Democrats (Obama in 2008, much to my later regret; I had my good reasons), and even fewer Republicans. Sat out a few elections, too.

I dislike Republicans (for their stupidity and venality), and loathe Democrats (for their venality, their cultural values, but especially their moral smugness and arrogance). A pox on both their houses, I say.

But mainly I've put politics behind me. Don't want to discuss it (walked away, no, ran away from the "A new ACW" forum thread), try not to think about it. At my advanced age, I just want to spend the few good years left in me enjoying Early Music, hi-tech computing, history, and -- yes! -- war gaming.

From my facebook About page:

quote:

Post-partisanship, anyone?

Facebook is my new political DMZ.

If I read politically hyper-partisan, ideologically slanted Wall posts--especially snarky, disparaging, disrespectful ones--I will unfriend the poster!

"Why Can't We All Just Get Along?"

Indeed, I've unsubscribed (if not outright unfriended) several dozen facebook "friends", both left and right, over the course of the last election.

Football? Before, I was a casual fan. As a youth, I was obsessed with baseball. The 1994–95 Major League Baseball strike killed my interest in baseball, all sports in fact.

Am I a curmudgeon? Yes, guilty as charged.

If anybody cares. Stepping off my soapbox now...

Shalom.

< Message edited by berto -- 2/6/2013 10:44:37 AM >

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI