Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 8:52:02 PM   
KEYSTONE07950

I used to have hope that Tiller would release Panzer Battles (a new series at the same scale as the Campaign Series). Since that seems like vapor ware - I'm glad we have JTCS. Looking forward to the new patch.

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 121
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 9:21:08 PM   
LoneWulf63

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

On a patch no, on an upgrade yes (CM Battle for Normandy v2.0). Newb? Shows me your level of intelligence. I probably started playing wargames when you were still in diapers. BTW, what have you contributed to JTCS?

So you say, but you continue to make newb comments.

Screw this. You don't know crap from Crisco. And again, if this gets me banned from the forums, so be it. But someone needs to tell you exactly what they think of you are. Someone that takes but does nothing in return to help a situation. When they don't get what they want when they want it, they start whining about it. People like you don't try to help this situation, just complain about it. Stick that in your hat Deputy Dawg.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 122
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 9:23:02 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

I may soon run out of popcorn.

Not yet though.

Hey Battle Kat. Gonna try out your Forgotten Battles mod. Looks pretty cool!

Lots of people involved in making of it. The idea is it would be the one mod to contain all the EF mods. So far so good!

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 123
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 9:25:14 PM   
LoneWulf63

quote:

Not yet though.

Nah, I am not going to waste my time on this individual any longer. I have more important things to do, like make some new units for you guys and my conversion scenarios.

In loving memory of my wife, Rebecca. 5/2/52 to 7/13/2014. I miss you sweetheart.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 124
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 9:31:04 PM   
Deputy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not yet though.

Hey Battle Kat. Gonna try out your Forgotten Battles mod. Looks pretty cool!

Lots of people involved in making of it. The idea is it would be the one mod to contain all the EF mods. So far so good!

Drat! I can use it in the 1.04 version of the game I have installed, but when I put it in the 1.02 version, it changes it to 1.04. Oh well...still a nice mod.

Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 125
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 9:33:11 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

So you say, but you continue to make newb comments.

The wind might have changed direction but the stench is the same.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 126
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 9:36:38 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

Drat! I can use it in the 1.04 version of the game I have installed, but when I put it in the 1.02 version, it changes it to 1.04. Oh well...still a nice mod.

That's right, it is a 1.04 mod.

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 127
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 10:24:58 PM   
Warhorse

Yeah man, Forgotten Battles rocks!! Try out some of the Bulgarian stuff, you ever play them, Deputy? Good pretty small battle is the one, Forward the Armored Brigade, I still get a kick out of it!!

Got lots of other Minor stuff in the works, oh, also there is Battle of Szack, involves Polish/Russian fare, play it as the Poles!!;-)

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 128
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 10:33:25 PM   
Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Yeah man, Forgotten Battles rocks!! Try out some of the Bulgarian stuff, you ever play them, Deputy? Good pretty small battle is the one, Forward the Armored Brigade, I still get a kick out of it!!

Got lots of other Minor stuff in the works, oh, also there is Battle of Szack, involves Polish/Russian fare, play it as the Poles!!;-)

Looks good but no info on how to install scenarios. Do you install them with JSGME or what?

Squad Battles

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 129
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 10:37:27 PM   
Crossroads

Just drop them to East Front folder. Each scenario description should have a line EF:FB is required. I had them first as part of the download, but it was neigh impossible to keep them in sync, with new scenarios coming along.

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 130
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 10:45:33 PM   
Deputy

Ack...I dropped the scenario in and can't find it. Too dang many scenarios. Hey, is this mod strictly for scenarios or does it do anything with/for campaign games?

Squad Battles

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 131
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 10:54:25 PM   
Crossroads

That's right it lots of scenarios in the folder. I always sort by date to find what I am looking for.

No extra work done with campaigns, sorry...

(in reply to Deputy)
Post #: 132
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 11:39:44 PM   
Warhorse

Deputy, you a big DCG fan? I've played the hell out of them over the years, always a blast and tinkered, (of course) with the files pretty extensively. Have you played around with the DCG files, orgs, anything like that, or no? Just wondering, because you can add other country's in to help, change the maps, pretty much anything you want, I like to alter the amount of arty and stuff. AI is always heavy in that.

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 133
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/7/2013 11:41:40 PM   
Warhorse

In regards to the above, if anything was to be done with campaigns, what would you like to see with this mod? Some specific area, battle, country's involved?!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 134
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 5:03:28 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: resinslinger

On a patch no, on an upgrade yes (CM Battle for Normandy v2.0). Newb? Shows me your level of intelligence. I probably started playing wargames when you were still in diapers. BTW, what have you contributed to JTCS?

Actually we are all about the same age around here.

(in reply to LoneWulf63)
Post #: 135
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 7:25:51 AM   
Wolfie1

You mean around 50 ish?

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 136
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 1:22:43 PM   
junk2drive

More ish than that. Around 60.

(in reply to Wolfie1)
Post #: 137
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 3:34:09 PM   
XLVIIIPzKorp

Hey speak for yourself...

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 138
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 3:35:12 PM   
kool_kat

Gents:

It is rather sad. An individual who's majority of posts are negative, complaining, and combative. He plays with a back level JTCS patch (1.02 released in 2007)and complains about the current and future patches. He only plays the AI and constantly complains about it. AI shortcomings / limitations have been documented for years - that's why majority of JTCS players are involved in PBeM. He "threatens" to leave these forums. But sadly does not leave. He heads over to the GameSquad forums, where he immediately starts complaining about Squad Battles. Essentially, he accuses a lead developer of Red Victory of being a racist and manages to get a thread closed because of his belligerent and combative behavior. http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?104764-Patch-needed-badly-for-AoR-and-Red-Victory&highlight=Deputy

And to what end? How has his actions advanced or contributed to any forum?

Why would an individual, who constantly is negative, complaining, and combative about either JTCS or Squad Battles, or any other PC game, continue to play these games? Why not give it up and move on to something else? Life is short. Why not enjoy your time instead of constantly complaining about a game system?

To me, it does not make much sense.

As a gamer, I understand and accept the short comings of various game systems. JTCS AI is sub-par (I'm being nice!) and frankly way too easy to beat. IMO, any JTCS player, who wants to have a "fun" and "exciting" experience with this game, really needs to embrace PBeM. Human versus human play is the only viable way to go with this game system given the poor AI. Is it fair? Nope. Am I dictating how others should approach and play JTCS? Nope. I'm simply stating that given the current state of the game system, and the historical development of various patches, and support, PBeM is a superior playing method for JTCS. I learned many years ago, to abandon solitaire play versus the AI, and move forward with PBeM. And you know what? I'm much happier for it! Not only do I get to enjoy JTCS in its current state, but I'm content and patient waiting for future patches and support. I'm enjoying the JTCS game system NOW and making many acquaintances and friends along the way!

Seems like a much better route to follow than constantly coming on these forums to complain?

< Message edited by mwest -- 6/8/2013 3:54:27 PM >

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 139
RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 4:19:42 PM   
berto

Speaking for myself -- only and always -- and addressing just the PBEM vs. solo play issue:

• I have many good reasons to prefer solo play, and many good reasons to avoid PBEM. 'Nuf said.
  • I play RS (and soon VN) mostly, where one side (e.g., the Japanese) are typically in fixed defensive positions, so a subpar AI (we all agree) is not so bad for the games and scenarios I play.
  • Many players -- probably a majority, but in any case a sizable number -- prefer solo play against the AI, for whatever reason. We cannot ignore that market segment, and we will not.
  • Given the above, given that other members of the dev team are PBEMers, and in my role as CS Lead Programmer, my preferring solo play is a feature, not a bug. I personally am highly motivated to fix the game's AI, as much as possible. I accept the challenge. Time will tell if I am able to meet it.

As for the rest of the "discussion", no comment. Actions speak louder than words.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
    Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to kool_kat)
  • Post #: 140
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 4:22:50 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

Deputy, you a big DCG fan? I've played the hell out of them over the years, always a blast and tinkered, (of course) with the files pretty extensively. Have you played around with the DCG files, orgs, anything like that, or no? Just wondering, because you can add other country's in to help, change the maps, pretty much anything you want, I like to alter the amount of arty and stuff. AI is always heavy in that.

Absolutely! Thats all I play in the CS. I have done mods to weapons and vehicles and loadouts on Tiller's Squad Battles series, but not on the CS. Only modding I did in CS was to increase replacement rates in the Dynamic Campaigns.

Squad Battles

(in reply to Warhorse)
    Post #: 141
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 4:25:22 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

More ish than that. Around 60.

Yep. 63 for me. First wargaming experience was with the Avalon Hill games.

Squad Battles

(in reply to junk2drive)
    Post #: 142
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 4:27:11 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

Speaking for myself -- only and always -- and addressing just the PBEM vs. solo play issue:

• I have many good reasons to prefer solo play, and many good reasons to avoid PBEM. 'Nuf said.
  • I play RS (and soon VN) mostly, where one side (e.g., the Japanese) are typically in fixed defensive positions, so a subpar AI (we all agree) is not so bad for the games and scenarios I play.
  • Many players -- probably a majority, but in any case a sizable number -- prefer solo play against the AI, for whatever reason. We cannot ignore that market segment, and we will not.
  • Given the above, given that other members of the dev team are PBEMers, and in my role as CS Lead Programmer, my preferring solo play is a feature, not a bug. I personally am highly motivated to fix the game's AI, as much as possible. I accept the challenge. Time will tell if I am able to meet it.

As for the rest of the "discussion", no comment. Actions speak louder than words.

• Well said.

Squad Battles

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 143
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 4:30:59 PM   
    Deputy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mwest

Gents:

It is rather sad. An individual who's majority of posts are negative, complaining, and combative. He plays with a back level JTCS patch (1.02 released in 2007)and complains about the current and future patches. He only plays the AI and constantly complains about it. AI shortcomings / limitations have been documented for years - that's why majority of JTCS players are involved in PBeM. He "threatens" to leave these forums. But sadly does not leave. He heads over to the GameSquad forums, where he immediately starts complaining about Squad Battles. Essentially, he accuses a lead developer of Red Victory of being a racist and manages to get a thread closed because of his belligerent and combative behavior. http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?104764-Patch-needed-badly-for-AoR-and-Red-Victory&highlight=Deputy

And to what end? How has his actions advanced or contributed to any forum?

Why would an individual, who constantly is negative, complaining, and combative about either JTCS or Squad Battles, or any other PC game, continue to play these games? Why not give it up and move on to something else? Life is short. Why not enjoy your time instead of constantly complaining about a game system?

To me, it does not make much sense.

As a gamer, I understand and accept the short comings of various game systems. JTCS AI is sub-par (I'm being nice!) and frankly way too easy to beat. IMO, any JTCS player, who wants to have a "fun" and "exciting" experience with this game, really needs to embrace PBeM. Human versus human play is the only viable way to go with this game system given the poor AI. Is it fair? Nope. Am I dictating how others should approach and play JTCS? Nope. I'm simply stating that given the current state of the game system, and the historical development of various patches, and support, PBeM is a superior playing method for JTCS. I learned many years ago, to abandon solitaire play versus the AI, and move forward with PBeM. And you know what? I'm much happier for it! Not only do I get to enjoy JTCS in its current state, but I'm content and patient waiting for future patches and support. I'm enjoying the JTCS game system NOW and making many acquaintances and friends along the way!

Seems like a much better route to follow than constantly coming on these forums to complain?

Yawn...huh? Oh, sorry. Dropped off to sleep reading your comments about PBEM. Okay, let me ask you this...what has "being patient" gotten you in the CS games? It has been YEARS since the promised 1.05 patch. IF you are the same age as the majority of the rest of us, then I suggest you and I and the rest haven't got much longer on planet Earth before we go to the big battleground in the sky. You planning on sitting next to Saint Peter and telling him to "be patient' too?

Squad Battles

(in reply to kool_kat)
    Post #: 144
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 4:43:16 PM   
    kool_kat

quote:

• Hey Berto:

That's excellent news too!

It's good to move both markets (AI-only and PBeM gamers) forward!

Again, as a JTCS PBeM gamer only, a sub-par AI is not a "show stopper" in my book... nor for many players who battle against human opponents. But having played solo, I also understand where you are coming from... and I applaud your efforts here too!

BTW... in regards to Rising Sun scenarios, I've created several H2H RS scenarios. You can access and download them here:

http://www.theblitz.org/h2h_productions/Campaign-Series/action=approved_ladder&lid=2

Please note that these scenarios were tested and designed to be played as human-versus-human play and not solo against the AI. The Battle of Manila is an especially brutal and tough urban battle when using the recommended Extreme Assault optional rule! Also, since all these scenarios depict late war encounters with the Japanese on the defense, you could go into the scenario editor and "fix" all the Japanese units. It might give you a reasonable solo battle option. FYI - You may have to join the Blitz before getting access to the referenced scenarios.

I've found the Pacific to be a rather "neglected" theater in regards to JTCS scenarios... and IMO it is a fascinating WW2 area of operations.

< Message edited by mwest -- 6/8/2013 7:27:53 PM >

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 145
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 7:16:16 PM   
    kool_kat

quote:

Hey Mike:

You are correct in that assessment sir!

Petri introduced me to the EF "Forgotten Battles" mod! We are currently playing a PBeM match "Delaying Action at Ylimaa." I've taken the Finns ("good guys") and looking to repel the German invaders!

I really like the terrain mods - especially the new village icons and forest hexes! It's always fun to have ski-equipped troops in your OOB.

FYI - the mod was so easy to down load and install on my PC. Pretty intuitive and straight forward. The instructions, posted on the Blitz Forums, were detailed enough that I had the mod down loaded, installed and running in less than 10 minutes! Piece of cake! What I really like about the mod is the interface that keeps all the mod files together. Players have the option to either enable or disable the mod... and there is no interference with the "regular" installed components.

Good stuff!

< Message edited by mwest -- 6/8/2013 7:30:35 PM >

Regards, - Mike

(in reply to Warhorse)
    Post #: 146
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 7:22:13 PM   
    kool_kat

quote:

How long do we all have to wait? It's not for me to decide. But it's assuredly a matter of months, not a year or more. That I think it's safe to say.

Hey Berto: :

I'm sure most JTCS players would also welcome your "developer updates" on the 1.05 patch!

I understand you are getting code lined up and "cleaned up" in order to enable that work.

Would greatly appreciate 1.05 patch updates as appropriate.

Thanks!

Regards, - Mike

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 147
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 7:23:28 PM   
    kool_kat

Duplicate post

< Message edited by mwest -- 6/8/2013 7:26:36 PM >

Regards, - Mike

(in reply to kool_kat)
    Post #: 148
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 7:25:33 PM   
    kool_kat

Gents:

Looking forward to Matrix Games continued investment and development of JTCS!

< Message edited by mwest -- 6/8/2013 7:31:21 PM >

Regards, - Mike

(in reply to kool_kat)
    Post #: 149
    RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? - 6/8/2013 8:20:07 PM   
    Warhorse

Yes, really cool things on the horizon!! Mike, glad you like that mod, Petri put a LOT of work into it, and it shows!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    www.cslegion.com

(in reply to kool_kat)
    Post #: 150
    Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: So is update 1.05 dead in the water or what? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI