Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2013 10:46:07 PM   
Gilmer

I'm reading "Mr. Timothy", by Louis Bayard.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 691
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2013 10:48:56 PM   
Rosseau

Absolute War, by Chris Bellamy

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 692
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2013 10:59:07 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

I think they are doing a big disservice to school kids by forcing them to read all these classics. Kids should read stuff more focused on entertainment so that they'd get hooked up on reading.

I disagree. I'm very thankful that my teachers stimulated my thinking by having me read the classics. At the time I wish I could have completed my assignments in class by reading comic books but as I've grown older I've come to appreciate what I was "force fed" as a child.

In most of cases, forcing classics on kids doesn't result in stimulating their thinking but in making them hate reading books.
Also those classics that were written with teenagers in mind can be introduced in high school.
Notice, that since you'd prefer reading comic books, it means that you were already reading for enjoyment, so classics couldn't spoil reading for you. I also started reading from comics. Then I was reading adventure novels, western novels and war books, all before the school started to torture me with its mandatory readings.
Warspite1

I have to say I agree with Perturabo on this. When I was a child I hated reading (unless it was about football or looking at my dad's WWII encyclopedias - but even that was for the pictures). As I grew older so I began to read a little more - but it was literally one book a year or something like that. When I had to read Pride and Prejudice and A Tale of Two Cities at school it was like torture.

I now read all the time - in fact the trouble is not enough time, and I have a big stack of books lined up waiting to be read as time is in such short supply. Having got to my age I now feel that I should read at least one Shakespeare and one Dickens before I drop off this mortal coil. But that is because I want to and feel equipped to give them a go; as a teenager? No way.

When I was a kid, I couldn't get enough reading. I read stuff so far over my head in understanding, I'm surprised I was able to read them. I read Trinity by Leon Uris in the 8th grade. It fascinated me. I was reading Stephen King books in the 5th and 6th grade and they scared the crap out of me.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 693
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2013 11:33:14 PM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Found it too starting at 135 US dollars hardback and 34.96 used! I am wondering how you set the price at 34.96!?
quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Rogo727,

I use the World War II Databook by John Ellis (it provides basic divisional data for all the belligerents with the exception of the Chinese - date formed - deployment - date destroyed etc) as my starting point and then Google for more detailed information.

I can't remember ever seeing anything similar to the Stackpole series for the other belligerents.

Best wishes,
Steve

PS: Yikes! I have just seen the price of World War II Databook on Amazon £159.92 new. I do not remember what I paid for it new (I have had it for few years) but it was never anywhere near that price.

According to Amazon, I can trade-in my copy for a £1.01 gift card. That's what? A dollar 50 ?

You can buy it second-hand from Amazon UK for £8.45 very good condition though you would have to add delivery to US. That would still make it cheaper than the US second-hand price though.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

That Amazon trade-in is a complete joke. I would rather give a book away to charity (and I have done) rather than let them have it for such a ridiculous amount so they can re-sell for a huge mark-up .

you can get some really cheap paperbacks through Amazon, though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 694
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2013 11:53:14 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Kentucky never ratified the 16th Amendment.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 695
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 12:29:21 AM   
nelmsm1

It was time for some trash reading so I've ducked into "Arisen, Book One - Fortress Britain". Nothing like a free zombie book for the Kindle when some light reading is desired. Of course it's $2.99 now but I'm enjoying it, fun read if you like reading about the Zombie Apocalypse.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 696
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 2:01:21 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

Kentucky never ratified the 16th Amendment.

So what. The required 36 states did.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 697
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 2:03:08 AM   
Tzar007

I started reading "An Army at Dawn", the first book of the trilogy of Rick Atkinson about the liberation of Western Europe by the Allies:

< Message edited by Tzar007 -- 6/29/2013 2:06:55 AM >

(in reply to nelmsm1)
Post #: 698
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 2:05:30 AM   
Tzar007

The two other books of the trilogy are "The Day of Battle" and "Guns at Last Light":

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 699
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 3:07:29 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Aurelian

How do we know that? Corruption claimed Kentucky did too-
quote:

DONT BE FOOLED BY THE ILLUMINATI. FILING FEDERAL INCOME TAX IS VOLUNTARY, NOT MANDATORY ACCORDING TO FEDERAL JUDGE-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHP_doQ7jXI

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 700
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 3:32:01 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

quote:

Aurelian

quote:

DONT BE FOOLED BY THE ILLUMINATI. FILING FEDERAL INCOME TAX IS VOLUNTARY, NOT MANDATORY ACCORDING TO FEDERAL JUDGE-

We know because if they hadn't there would be no 16th Amendment.

At least those of us who read something besides conspiracy stuff know that.

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 6/29/2013 3:34:03 AM >

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 701
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 3:35:28 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

quote:

Aurelian

quote:

Read something beside conspiracy nonsense........

There were not 50 states back then either. This nonsense comes up all the time and when some celebrity tries to use it, off to jail they go. Like Wesley Snipes. The appropriate number of States ratified the Amendment, further no amendment was needed.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 702
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/29/2013 3:45:19 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Aurelian
We know because if they hadn't there would be no 16th Amendment.

At least those of us who read something besides conspiracy stuff know that.

OF COURSE BECAUSE YOURE SOOOOO OMNISCIENT. AFTER ALL YOURE IN LOVE WITH BIG BROTHER. WHAT PART OF 1984 DO YOU NOT AGREE WITH?

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 703
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/1/2013 6:01:29 PM   
SLAAKMAN

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 704
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 5:55:27 AM   
Wolfie1

I'm halfway through 1356 by Bernard Cornwell

Teamwork is essential - it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at.....

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 705
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 11:07:19 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/24/2018 12:11:02 PM >

(in reply to Wolfie1)
Post #: 706
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 1:00:33 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Officer's Oath (Paperback)
quote:

Officer's Oath: Why My Vow to Defend the Constitution Demanded That I Sacrifice My Career

By Terry Lakin with Jack Cashill and David Mercaldo

Publication date: June 15, 2012

It is not a 'birther' story. It is, rather, the story of a man who made a principled decision to adhere to the oath he willingly took as an officer in the United States Army. It is a story of the personal consequences of that decision and the far-reaching effect it has had on the eligibility issue.

Jack Cashill, author of numerous books, assisted Terry in telling his story. David Mercaldo, a New York-based author, has interviewed and written vignettes of the many people who contributed to Terry's case. A number of notable individuals have also contributed essays on key subjects relating to the issue.

quote:

chemkid,
hi there!
i'm into the 2nd half of the 1st volume of 'the rising sun' by john toland - pretty tough stuff...
...after reading the facts from the allied side.

cheers!
chem!

btw, the pacific war by john costello is waiting in my queue...

Ausgezeichnet!!

quote:

Wolfie1, I'm halfway through 1356 by Bernard Cornwell

Cool. Ill look that up.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 707
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 3:28:48 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tzar007

I started reading "An Army at Dawn", the first book of the trilogy of Rick Atkinson about the liberation of Western Europe by the Allies:

Enjoyed the first two of his trilogy. Looking forward to the third soon.

(in reply to Tzar007)
Post #: 708
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 3:33:28 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Aurelian

quote:

Slaak-

I would really (really) like to see you stick it to the man by forwarding these arguments in support of your nonpayment of Federal income tax. Really. Please tell this group when you are planning on doing this so that we may watch your certain winning arguments. Also, please tell me first so that I can turn you in for the 10% 'finder's fee' the IRS offers for tips turning in income tax evaders.

I promise that the 10% finder's fee will be used, in part, to buy beer for forumites in your honor.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 709
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 4:18:43 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Slaak-

I would really (really) like to see you stick it to the man by forwarding these arguments in support of your nonpayment of Federal income tax. Really. Please tell this group when you are planning on doing this so that we may watch your certain winning arguments. Also, please tell me first so that I can turn you in for the 10% 'finder's fee' the IRS offers for tips turning in income tax evaders.

I promise that the 10% finder's fee will be used, in part, to buy beer for forumites in your honor.

Silly Chickenboy-Newblette a federal judge already ruled that the statute does not exist. Did you not hear him? Besides, The Mighty Slaakman is exempt form all unpleasantry such as Death & Taxes since my economic Kingdom is "not of this world".

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 7/2/2013 4:19:11 PM >

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 710
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 4:23:00 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Silly Chickenboy-Newblette a federal judge already ruled that the statute does not exist. Did you not hear him? Besides, The Mighty Slaakman is exempt form all unpleasantry such as Death & Taxes since my economic Kingdom is "not of this world".

"A Federal Judge", eh? Great! Challenge it! Throw yourself on the bayonettes for all of our good! Atta boy!

Your 'economic' kingdom is not of this world? So, you don't agree with "Give to Caesar what is Caeser's" then, eh? Jesus' own teachings about the divestiture of economic versus spiritual givings aren't good enough for you?

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 711
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 4:51:35 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

"A Federal Judge", eh? Great! Challenge it! Throw yourself on the bayonettes for all of our good! Atta boy!

Your 'economic' kingdom is not of this world? So, you don't agree with "Give to Caesar what is Caeser's" then, eh? Jesus' own teachings about the divestiture of economic versus spiritual givings aren't good enough for you?

Silly Chickenboy-Newblette, The Mighty Slaakman has already rendered unto Kaiser, that which is Kaisers. I have paid my auto registration taxes on time for more than 30 years now so nananananananana! However, The Mighty Slaakman does not owe any federal taxes nor will he ever owe them. The Mighty Slaakman only owes German federal taxes when he declines the use of a Swiss or Danish tax shelter, which of course is out of the question. Since Russia is my friend and Mongolian oil my beverage, the future of the Slaak Intergalactic Economic Co-prosperity Sphere is now certain-

Planetary Resources – The Asteroid Mining Company

www.planetaryresources.com/‎

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 7/2/2013 4:52:00 PM >

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 712
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 6:57:20 PM   
Chickenboy

So you're not an American citizen then? Whew! (wipes brow...)

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 713
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 7:34:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Silly Chickenboy-Newblette, The Mighty Slaakman has already rendered unto Kaiser, that which is Kaisers. I have paid my auto registration taxes on time for more than 30 years now so nananananananana! However, The Mighty Slaakman does not owe any federal taxes nor will he ever owe them. The Mighty Slaakman only owes German federal taxes when he declines the use of a Swiss or Danish tax shelter, which of course is out of the question. Since Russia is my friend and Mongolian oil my beverage, the future of the Slaak Intergalactic Economic Co-prosperity Sphere is now certain-

www.planetaryresources.com/ý

Do me another favor, Slaak. Let me know when public options go on sale for "Planetary Resources", will ya'? Alternatively, when it goes public, I'd really like the exchange and ticker symbol there too. I'd love the opportunity to make a bet on the stock and futures for this company.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 714
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 7:34:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

www.planetaryresources.com/ý

Do me another favor, Slaak. Let me know when public options go on sale for "Planetary Resources", will ya'? Alternatively, when it goes public, I'd really like the exchange and ticker symbol there too. I'd love the opportunity to make a bet on the stock and futures for this company.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 715
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 7:53:04 PM   
Aurelian

It's a Ponzi scheme.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 716
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 8:21:36 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

So you're not an American citizen then? Whew! (wipes brow...)

Silly Chickenboy-Newblette, Im a USA/Bundesrepublik Deutschland dual-citizen since my Opah was born in Germany in 1897.

quote:

Yeah sure Silly Chickenboy-Newblette. You can have the carcass when Im finished.

quote:

Orwellian,
It's a Ponzi scheme.

I really really really wish that you would be my last customer. I promise to pay you back at the end of time!

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 717
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 10:43:57 PM   
BeirutDude

Guns of August

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 718
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 11:13:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

It's a Ponzi scheme.

Dood...shhh! I didn't say which way I was going to place my options now, did I?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 719
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 7/2/2013 11:57:38 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

It's a Ponzi scheme.

Dood...shhh! I didn't say which way I was going to place my options now, did I?

Oops!!!!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 720
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI