Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  674 675 [676] 677 678   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 7:26:13 PM   
nashvillen

Went with the family to Chattanooga, TN to see the TN Aquarium this weekend. It is amazing how grown and mature my kids are being now! They just stood and watched and appreciated all the specimens at the wonderful facility. (Mark me as a proud father!)

Also, a UNP, but a Turkey, nonetheless!

< Message edited by nashvillen -- 7/1/2013 7:27:23 PM >

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 20251
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 7:54:37 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

Just found out "FiFi" is in town this week. Going to visit her and anything else the CAF has brought to town with them on Friday. Plenty of pictures will be made!

Sounds like an interesting day is ahead. Just mention my name and they'll say "who?" In fact, tell them you need a look inside to keep up with the Brit and his photos of WW2 warbirds

I will them them I have been challenged by a "gentleman" who works on the WWII British equipment in GB to get better pictures of the B-29 than he has been showing of Lancasters. Will see how far that gets me...

If that doesn't work then just threaten to hold your breath until they let you in I'd love to be able to see inside a B-29.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 20252
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 8:44:17 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just found out "FiFi" is in town this week. Going to visit her and anything else the CAF has brought to town with them on Friday. Plenty of pictures will be made!

Sounds like an interesting day is ahead. Just mention my name and they'll say "who?" In fact, tell them you need a look inside to keep up with the Brit and his photos of WW2 warbirds

I will them them I have been challenged by a "gentleman" who works on the WWII British equipment in GB to get better pictures of the B-29 than he has been showing of Lancasters. Will see how far that gets me...

If that doesn't work then just threaten to hold your breath until they let you in I'd love to be able to see inside a B-29.

For such a big plane , it's pretty cramped. Especially the forward compartment. And mind your head! Lot's of stuff hanging down.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20253
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 9:36:53 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

For such a big plane , it's pretty cramped. Especially the forward compartment. And mind your head! Lot's of stuff hanging down.

I think that's pretty much the standard for bombers of that era. The Lanc is very cramped inside, anyone taller than a Hobbit has to walk most of the aircraft hunched over. There's also the main compass just inside the door so you need to be careful climbing in. At least you don't have to negotiate the wing spars in a B-29

The B-29 is an aeroplane with no direct equivalent for the British (or anyone except the USSR), it occupies that space between unpressurised prop aircraft built with standard knowledge (like the B-17/B-24 etc) and the jet era. The Brits just skipped that phase (prop 2.0?) and went straight into jets. It's the geeky technical side of things I suppose

In fact it was only 10 years between the Lancaster and Vulcan designs and both were done by the same designer.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20254
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 9:56:30 PM   
Lecivius

I R Back tithe.

Family vacation.

Boy Scout shooting camp.

Boy Scout rafting trip.

Boy Scout summer camp.

I hate the site of Khaki atm

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20255
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 10:01:52 PM   
Chickenboy

Just got me a nice little bonus at work tithe...

One night offer:  I'm buying tonight, folks.  Come on down!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 20256
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 10:13:22 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

I think that's pretty much the standard for bombers of that era. The Lanc is very cramped inside, anyone taller than a Hobbit has to walk most of the aircraft hunched over. There's also the main compass just inside the door so you need to be careful climbing in. At least you don't have to negotiate the wing spars in a B-29

The B-29 is an aeroplane with no direct equivalent for the British (or anyone except the USSR), it occupies that space between unpressurised prop aircraft built with standard knowledge (like the B-17/B-24 etc) and the jet era. The Brits just skipped that phase (prop 2.0?) and went straight into jets. It's the geeky technical side of things I suppose

In fact it was only 10 years between the Lancaster and Vulcan designs and both were done by the same designer.

That's not entirely correct Martin. During that period, the RAF definitely had bombers , they just bought them from the USA. Ever hear of the Boeing Washington? It was a British B-29. And until the Canberra came out , the RAF flew Martin Tornado's.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20257
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 10:22:38 PM   
Dixie

quote:

That's not entirely correct Martin. During that period, the RAF definitely had bombers , they just bought them from the USA. Ever hear of the Boeing Washington? It was a British B-29. And until the Canberra came out , the RAF flew Martin Tornado's.

I think you'll find we didn't buy them. We got them through a sort of lend lease, the B-29 was a stop-gap until the Canberra came out. Perhaps I should have said that the British never built anything of that technological stage. British manufacturing went straight from the Avro Lincoln which was little more than a stretched Lancaster into Canberras and and then the V-Force.

The Tornados were recce versions. Back at the start of the Cold War the RAF was more willing to fly high risk missions over Russia than the USAF. Probably bravado on our part, trying to remain a major player in NATO and keep up with the USA. By the time we were using the Tornados the RAF was already operating the Canberra as a bomber (101 Sqn, the first RAF jet bomber squadron in 1951) having received the first ones in 1950.

EDIT: The B-29 was chosen as it was far better than the Avro Lincoln against a modern opponent. Apparently when they tried mock interceptions with Meteors the gun film footage from the fighters would see the bomber bouncing all around the reticle. The footage from the bombers would usually have the Meteor squarely in the centre. However I'm sure I read that the Lincoln could carry a full bombload for a longer distance, but slower and at a much lower altitude.

< Message edited by Dixie -- 7/1/2013 10:26:09 PM >

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20258
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 10:39:59 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

I think you'll find we didn't buy them. We got them through a sort of lend lease, the B-29 was a stop-gap until the Canberra came out. Perhaps I should have said that the British never built anything of that technological stage. British manufacturing went straight from the Avro Lincoln which was little more than a stretched Lancaster into Canberras and and then the V-Force.

The Tornados were recce versions. Back at the start of the Cold War the RAF was more willing to fly high risk missions over Russia than the USAF. Probably bravado on our part, trying to remain a major player in NATO and keep up with the USA. By the time we were using the Tornados the RAF was already operating the Canberra as a bomber (101 Sqn, the first RAF jet bomber squadron in 1951) having received the first ones in 1950.

EDIT: The B-29 was chosen as it was far better than the Avro Lincoln against a modern opponent. Apparently when they tried mock interceptions with Meteors the gun film footage from the fighters would see the bomber bouncing all around the reticle. The footage from the bombers would usually have the Meteor squarely in the centre. However I'm sure I read that the Lincoln could carry a full bombload for a longer distance, but slower and at a much lower altitude.

OK, I mis-spoke. We loaned them to you. But why speak of money matters between friends in public? But it was a confusing period in which many plans and proto types were looked at by both countries , and did not come to fruition. And of course there was the 1957 white paper that said manned aircraft were obsolete and should be replaced by missiles. That didn't do the British aircraft industry much good. Frankly I always thought it made good sense to use the Washington as a temporary filler till the V-force arrived.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20259
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 10:40:59 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

So I'm assuming you enjoyed demolishing the last turn I sent you several days ago?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20260
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 11:08:47 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

I'll meet you half way, say Crookston.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20261
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 11:29:40 PM   
Dixie

quote:

OK, I mis-spoke. We loaned them to you. But why speak of money matters between friends in public? But it was a confusing period in which many plans and proto types were looked at by both countries , and did not come to fruition. And of course there was the 1957 white paper that said manned aircraft were obsolete and should be replaced by missiles. That didn't do the British aircraft industry much good. Frankly I always thought it made good sense to use the Washington as a temporary filler till the V-force arrived.

Ah yes, the good old white papers. Scourge of the British Aviation indsutry To be fair it wasn't just the White Paper that killed off the industry, it was the British Industry itself that destroyed itself. The only potentially great thing we missed out on was the TSR.2. If you want to read more about the state of the British industry in the 50s and 60s, Empire of the Clouds is a good account of things at that time.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20262
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 11:40:03 PM   
Grollub

quote:

Hmmm ... checking flights ...

Congrats Andre!

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20263
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/1/2013 11:40:11 PM   
Chickenboy

Wow! The British *were* advanced. They had their "Whiz-Kid" bean-counter wonk gits a full decade before we had ours. That's what happens when you let desk jockeys plan your defense.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20264
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 12:07:20 AM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

Ah yes, the good old white papers. Scourge of the British Aviation indsutry To be fair it wasn't just the White Paper that killed off the industry, it was the British Industry itself that destroyed itself. The only potentially great thing we missed out on was the TSR.2. If you want to read more about the state of the British industry in the 50s and 60s, Empire of the Clouds is a good account of things at that time.

Well, at least you didn't Avro Arrow all over yourselves...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20265
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 3:25:23 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

So I'm assuming you enjoyed demolishing the last turn I sent you several days ago?

Just finished. Are you in a position to play some more? Have your ****ing packing and *****-****ing unpacking duties abated?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20266
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 3:33:49 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Thanks for the recommendation. I just bought it on my kindle.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 20267
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 3:34:28 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just finished. Are you in a position to play some more? Have your ****ing packing and *****-****ing unpacking duties abated?

No, I'm up to my elbows in it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20268
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 5:07:45 AM   
Chickenboy

Well, best wishes for the conclusion of your ******-****ing, ****-****ing two *****-**** ***** packing and unpacking.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 20269
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 7:50:05 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20270
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 10:52:29 AM   
Terminus

Welp, the Penguin is still kicking my rump. He's just secured New Caledonia, and I think he's going for the South Pole next, presumably to visit his relatives.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 20271
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 11:32:18 AM   
fodder

Good Morning!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20272
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:01:54 PM   
nashvillen

Good Morning!

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 20273
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:03:12 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Congrats!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20274
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:13:10 PM   
nashvillen

quote:

It is nice to be appreciated! Congrats. Hope you didn't drink all of it...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 20275
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:13:45 PM   
nashvillen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

I R Back tithe.

Family vacation.

Boy Scout shooting camp.

Boy Scout rafting trip.

Boy Scout summer camp.

I hate the site of Khaki atm

Nothing like family time and scouting!

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 20276
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:30:13 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Welp, the Penguin is still kicking my rump. He's just secured New Caledonia, and I think he's going for the South Pole next, presumably to visit his relatives.

Mike

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 20277
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:30:50 PM   
USSAmerica

Good morning - Tithe.

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20278
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:49:23 PM   
Grollub

Tithe.

Hello friends.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20279
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 7/2/2013 2:49:32 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

+1

< Message edited by Grollub -- 7/2/2013 2:50:19 PM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 20280
Page:   <<   < prev  674 675 [676] 677 678   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  674 675 [676] 677 678   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI