Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 8:26:01 AM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: necaradan666

The button that fades civilian ships is noticeably missing.

Looked at it again and the GEM 2.4 mod got the Fade Civilian Ships button.

Klink, Oberst

Attachment (1)

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 151
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 8:48:08 AM   
dostillevi

Its present, but it is from the base game, not from the mod. It looks out of place.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 152
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 9:28:37 AM   
Buio

I really like what parts from this mod and Sirian's mods brings to the UI. The icons, cursors, landscapes & ruins from this mod combined with messages, resources, components, character role from Sirian are great together. So much clearer and better looking than default.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 153
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 9:56:25 AM   
Oberst_Klink

*CLOSED* Got you now; you meant the icon doesn't look as funky as the other GEM 2.4 mod icons of the UI. Well, it works :)

< Message edited by Oberst_Klink -- 6/6/2013 10:30:33 AM >

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 154
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 10:25:47 AM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: dostillevi
Its present, but it is from the base game, not from the mod. It looks out of place.

I made a lame attempt at creating one using the "Civilian Vector" button as base.

Off

On

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Buio -- 6/6/2013 10:26:01 AM >

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 155
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 10:38:21 AM   
MizzouRah

So is this mod good to go for Shadows?

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 156
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 10:53:17 AM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: MizzouRah0971

Yes, just delete the shadow folder (under \Images\environment\overlays\) after unpacking the zip. Apparently it's not compatible.

You can just customize what you don't want to use by removing stuff before copying.

As always do a full backup of your original game folder before starting to use mods that overwrite original game file (many do but not all). That way you can just copy back original files if you make a mistake or isn't happy with everything. I got two backups, one with all original files after installing Shadows, and one with my default image mods I always want to use.

(in reply to MizzouRah)
Post #: 157
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 11:16:16 AM   
MizzouRah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buio

quote:

Yes, just delete the shadow folder (under \Images\environment\overlays\) after unpacking the zip. Apparently it's not compatible.

You can just customize what you don't want to use by removing stuff before copying.

As always do a full backup of your original game folder before starting to use mods that overwrite original game file (many do but not all). That way you can just copy back original files if you make a mistake or isn't happy with everything. I got two backups, one with all original files after installing Shadows, and one with my default image mods I always want to use.

Thanks used your new fade civilian ships icon and reinstalled the overlay from the backup I had, all looks excellent!

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 158
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/6/2013 7:12:49 PM   
invaderzim

How is late game performance with GEM compared to without GEM? I'm also wondering if there is any way to further improve performance by removing some shading elements or reducing the complexity of the graphics? After the game progresses to 70 years or so (sometimes I just let the AI play until I want to intervene), the game starts to feel like a slideshow.

quote:

I made a lame attempt at creating one using the "Civilian Vector" button as base.

Hey, I like this button for hiding civilians, can you upload for file so we can try it? :)

< Message edited by invaderzim -- 6/6/2013 7:14:33 PM >

(in reply to MizzouRah)
Post #: 159
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/10/2013 6:47:54 PM   
invaderzim

By the way, do you know if some parts of GEM can be installed into C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\ so that I don't have to overwrite the original game files?

Edit: It looks like you can install the shipset into C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\GEM\shipImages instead of overwriting C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\images\units\ships

Unfortunately it doesn't look like the game will load assets placed it C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds\Customization\GEM\Images\ so it looks like you can't do the same with planets and landscapes. Maybe you can make folders for planetImages and landscapeImages though.

< Message edited by invaderzim -- 6/10/2013 11:28:27 PM >

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 160
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 6/18/2013 3:15:20 PM   
necaradan666

That's a nice civfade button. I made my own local GEM 2.5 version with only a few handpicked bits left, included the Buio civfade button, the shadows folder deleted, my own favourites out of the planet landscapes.. the game only uses a few of them so there's no need for so many. I only picked the most photorealistic ones and numbered them properly so they look good in the backgrounds of certain racial characters. I also deleted all the modded sun files, I think the originals are far more violent looking.. and when you're zoomed in on star.. they should be.

For some reason 2.4 also includes the folders full of gas/frozen giants which are useless because he didn't mod them.

(in reply to invaderzim)
Post #: 161
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 7/3/2013 9:17:31 PM   
Yonathan the Zealot

Hey guys. I'm new...not really been ghosting for awhile. Bought the last two expansions last night. This mod looks awesome, downloaded, backed up files, overwrote old per instructions, launched and nothing. Same old rocks. Any suggestions?

(in reply to Arcatus)
Post #: 162
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 7/3/2013 9:54:18 PM   
dostillevi

@Yonathan the Zealot if you installed the mod to your customization folder (recommended), then you have to activate it by switching themes within the game. Also note that if you have shadows you MUST delete the planet shadow that comes with this mod, and I recommend you download the fade civilian ships icon fix a few posts back (nice work on that Buio!).

(in reply to Yonathan the Zealot)
Post #: 163
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 7/3/2013 11:13:26 PM   
Yonathan the Zealot

Ok. Great will try your suggestions. Forgive me, where exactly do I find planet shadows?

I must be daft. Placed in customization folder. Same old rocks...This must mean I need to just play the game regular.

Thank you however.

< Message edited by Yonathan the Zealot -- 7/3/2013 11:20:12 PM >

(in reply to dostillevi)
Post #: 164
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.0 - 7/4/2013 6:37:20 AM   
Sirian

What do you mean by "same old rocks"? Same old planets or same old asteroids?

If you want the new planets you must install them into your Distant Worlds\images\environment\planets\[type] folders plus the overlays in Distand Worlds\images\environment\overlays except the \shadows folder. This will overwrite the original planets, so make a backup first. Do not use the mods planet shadow image (Distant Worlds\images\environment\overlays\shadow\shading.png)this will goof up the display.

< Message edited by Sirian -- 7/4/2013 6:38:12 AM >

(in reply to Yonathan the Zealot)
Post #: 165
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 9/29/2013 12:51:41 PM   
Computica

quote:

quote:

Planet shader fix!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 166
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 9/29/2013 2:30:01 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Computica

quote:

quote:

Planet shader fix!

Thanks! GEM was always one of my favorite mods.

(in reply to Computica)
Post #: 167
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 9/29/2013 3:40:39 PM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Computica
Planet shader fix!

Thanks! Adding it now. :)

(in reply to Computica)
Post #: 168
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 12/16/2013 9:18:31 PM   
Tcby

Edit: Nevermind! Sorted. Thanks for the mod :)

< Message edited by Tcby -- 12/17/2013 1:06:57 AM >

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 169
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 12/20/2013 6:44:52 PM   
w1p

Anybody fancy making a new zip file, with the updated civilian fade and shading fixs, and a new forum post?

Perhaps blending in with sirian's mods? I use all and it makes the game so much more enjoyable!

And for the person asking about late game performance, it's doesn't make a noticeable difference (I don't use the shipsets here, I prefer default ones)

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 170
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 12/28/2013 6:54:04 PM   
OldLost

Anybody have issues with GEM 2.4 and the new patch? I ask because all the stars in the galaxy look about the same, except for some with slightly different hues. Here is what they look like. Most stars are grey like this one.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by OldLost -- 12/28/2013 7:57:44 PM >

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 171
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 12/28/2013 7:14:22 PM   
OldLost

Looking at it some more, this might not have anything to do with GEM. It's almost like the game is now ignoring the "mapstars" folder where I'm guessing it looked to before for sun graphics, and now is only looking in the "stars" folder.

I could be wrong though, of course. I've never modded DW.

(in reply to OldLost)
Post #: 172
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 12/28/2013 11:20:21 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Since updating have you tried reinstalling the GEM mod? The update might have overwritten some of the changed graphics.

(in reply to OldLost)
Post #: 173
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 12/29/2013 3:56:55 AM   
OldLost

Yep, that was the first thing I did after updating.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 174
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 5/23/2014 6:42:07 PM   
chrisol

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm presuming the GEM 2.4 mod will work fine with Universe (?)

bw
Chris

(in reply to OldLost)
Post #: 175
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 5/23/2014 7:19:53 PM   
FireLion1983

Absolutely, nothing has changed, AFAIK, with this mod.

(in reply to chrisol)
Post #: 176
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 5/24/2014 11:44:50 AM   
richieelias

Tried the mod, it *works*, naturally, but there are graphic glitches with the planets. Looks like the way shadow bitmaps are handled have changed in distant worlds universe.

Fortunately it is a very easy fix:

assuming you backed up the "images" folder before installing - copy the "shadow" folder from "images/environment/overlays" and replace the corresponding folder from GEM

< Message edited by richieelias -- 5/24/2014 12:52:35 PM >

(in reply to FireLion1983)
Post #: 177
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 5/24/2014 5:43:22 PM   
FireLion1983

quote:

ORIGINAL: richieelias

Tried the mod, it *works*, naturally, but there are graphic glitches with the planets. Looks like the way shadow bitmaps are handled have changed in distant worlds universe.

Fortunately it is a very easy fix:

assuming you backed up the "images" folder before installing - copy the "shadow" folder from "images/environment/overlays" and replace the corresponding folder from GEM

I think this change actually happened in, no pun intended, Shadows! Check in the thread previously for this error.

(in reply to richieelias)
Post #: 178
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 5/25/2014 1:44:47 AM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldLost

Anybody have issues with GEM 2.4 and the new patch? I ask because all the stars in the galaxy look about the same, except for some with slightly different hues. Here is what they look like. Most stars are grey like this one.

Yeah, also got this issue. Removed the folder to use default stars instead.

(in reply to OldLost)
Post #: 179
RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: Decem... - 5/25/2014 1:57:39 AM   
CyclopsSlayer

I also am having an issue with some of the ringed Gas Giants, they appear all blotchy and pixelated, almost like old 8bit images.

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Graphics Enhancement Mod (GEM) v2.4. Updated: December 22, 2012 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI