Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Worth buying ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Worth buying ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Worth buying ? - 7/12/2013 11:26:54 PM   
Wolfe1759

Having been reading With Frederick the Great A Story of the Seven Year's War by G. A. Henty my interest has been piqued in this game, however the rather painful patching process of the other Boku game I own Combat Command makes me very wary of buying this one.

Is it good, is it a finished (bug free) game and does it have a decent AI ?

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Post #: 1
RE: Worth buying ? - 7/13/2013 10:46:55 AM   
springel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Is it good, is it a finished (bug free) game and does it have a decent AI ?

It is pretty bug free.

The AI is interesting at the tactical level, but at the strategic level you will beat it.
Of course there is PBEM for a real challenge.

The graphics are a bit awkward on a modern machine.
Definitely from a previous generation.
It has the feel of a 1980's cardboard war game.
For good and for bad.

But the game did certainly entertain me for a while.

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 2
RE: Worth buying ? - 7/13/2013 5:28:20 PM   
PrinzHenrich

Depend what are you expecting from game. There is promo video from how the game looks like, what it have ect. ect
Editor is awesome. And you can belive me, we are doing lots of scenarios for it.
The self-called chief of scenario design
PrinzHenrich.

Changes....

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 3
RE: Worth buying ? - 7/23/2013 11:54:03 AM   
jackx

There are a few oddities at times, and some features don't work as intended (disruption reduction should vary based on a unit quality check for instance, but you always get maximum reduction), but no really game-breaking bugs.

The combat mechanics are good, and while it can feel like pure gamesmanship at times, the overall results tend to not stray too far from reasonable historical outcomes for the most part.

The AI is hopeless on a large scale, as it's pretty much incapable of maintaining a cohesive battle line, but it does provide a nice challenge in the smaller scenarios where it's in a clearly defined defensive role and position.

The large-scale scenarios are still interesting for practice, though, and as solitaire what-ifs?

The Editor is awesome, and lets you modify just about all aspects of the game (including combat calculations).

PBEM games are great fun, but will generally require a compromise in terms of utilizing the games command/activation system, without automated activation and defensive fire targetting, large games in particular can involve a lot of back-and-forth mails for each turn.

Personally, I liked some of the features of the older games in the series a bit better, such as the mandatory morale check when using "cold steel" in the very first Dragoon, making it a risk to use the extra movement points for other purposes than attacking, and morale/disruption recovery not being guaranteed, but overall, this is by far the best in the series, and while official development is in limbo, PH is working hard to extend its lifespan and provide new content and scenarios.

no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

(in reply to PrinzHenrich)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> Horse and Musket: Volume I, Frederick the Great >> Worth buying ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI