Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/1/2013 7:42:01 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I have folks in my circle that airbrush with water colors. I think they may use specially thinned versions for the airbrush, or else have to water it down with a boatload (!) of water. I will have to check.

They use the kind of airbrushes with the attached compressor rather than C02 tanks. I'll get one, someday, when I get out from under this mountain of student debt.

@John 3rd: so you're the one who got all the ships I wanted! Lucky.

YEP! Guilty as charged.

We're about to start on Enterprise and then move to CVE Taiyo. Nice, small and should be fairly easy for the man-cubs.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 61
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/3/2013 4:12:04 PM   
Mundy

Current projects:

A work in progress on my USS England. I know she probably never wore measure 22, but my eyes started going batty with the all navy blue/deck blue on my Benson project.

I'm actually a bit further than this, with all the depth charge photoetch installed and a general wash applied over the haze gray parts.

Ed-

Attachment (1)

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 62
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/3/2013 4:15:47 PM   
Mundy

Here's the Benson, the Dragon 1/350 kit. Great kit. I took a break, because I was losing track of the parts I needed to install yet. The 20mm on this kit are mostly used as is, since they're pretty good. On the England, I replaced all the 20mm barrels, shoulder rests and sights with milled brass barrels and photoetch. I think even the ends of the barrels are opened up there. It wasn't as hard as I thought, though I had to convert 10 of them that way.

Ed-

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 63
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/23/2013 9:25:42 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I just received an incredible resin and photo-etch 1:350 detail set for the British King George V including wooden deck and tons of other goodies. I have a 1:350 CV Essex that I may order a set for from the same company, although it's not cheap at $200. Totally back into models lately and these detail sets are inspiring me to get cracking and finish some kits. Ack, so little time for all the hobbies!

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 64
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/23/2013 10:34:55 PM   
nashvillen

What is the name of the company?

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 65
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/24/2013 4:21:10 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: nashvillen

What is the name of the company?

Pontos Model. It seems they just do 1:350 at this stage. Lots of wooden decks and some extremely comprehensive detail sets for various ships. Their website has downloadable instructions so you can preview what each set will do for a particular kit. I haven't started anything with the set yet, but the quality and detail looks amazing, right down to brass barrels for the pompoms.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 66
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/25/2013 12:29:03 PM   
1275psi

hope this worked

Attachment (1)

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 67
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/25/2013 12:29:57 PM   
1275psi

above photo, herbiesans 1/72 yamao, entirely sratchbuilt

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 68
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/26/2013 3:29:42 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

above photo, herbiesans 1/72 yamao, entirely sratchbuilt

I only have room for 1/350 in my current abode.

1/72??? You have LOST your mind!!!!!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 69
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/26/2013 8:02:26 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Hey guys,
I have a couple of online retail businesses I run, and if I am not mistaken, one of my suppliers may have these types of kits: I think I remember seeing them a while back, but can't remember which one. If, and I mean IF my recollection is accurate, would any of you want to go in on a wholesale order? I don't sell this sort of thing, so it would probably have to be a one-off deal. I would have to have the order delivered to me, and then I would piece it out to y'all. If you might be interested, PM me. If there is enough interest I will look more into it.

Because I do not believe in soliciting business in a forum like this, everything would be at cost.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 70
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/26/2013 8:19:39 AM   
wdolson

I can't speak for Matrix (I've never seen a policy from them about this sort of thing), but to play it safe it's probably best to contact people privately for this sort of thing.

In any case, when I was selling on Ebay I was selling some 1/100 scale kits I got a hold of in a collection and got contacted by someone who built 1/96 scale ships and wanted aircraft for his Essex class carrier. He belonged to a club that put R/C equipment in them and sailed them around a lake in the Los Angeles area. When I started searching for this I came across another club that armed these ships with BB guns in the turrets and the ships fought each other on local ponds/lakes. The equipment inside the hulls was quite complex with multiple semi-automatic BB guns per ship.

The battles frequently involved someone fishing their sunk ship off the bottom of the lake.

Many of these ships are large enough these guys have trailers to haul them around. An Essex class carrier is going to be around 10 feet in 1/96 scale.

I never got into R/C because I couldn't stand to lose something I put so many hours into. It's bad enough when some calamity befalls a static model. These days the cat is too old to jump up on the shelves...

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 71
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 7/26/2013 11:33:05 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I can't speak for Matrix (I've never seen a policy from them about this sort of thing), but to play it safe it's probably best to contact people privately for this sort of thing.

I hear ya. I am not going to contact anybody, even by PM, because this is not the place to solicit business. There are no ads on here, and I like it just fine that way. I put that out there in case there was any interest because I am sure I have a business relationship with someone that may supply what some folks here might want. This type of thing is nothing close to what I sell, and I have no intention of venturing into it - I would have to restructure my current shipping arrangements. I merely posted that as a favor to fellow forumites if they were interested. I won't be bringing it up again.

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 72
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/7/2013 3:22:44 PM   
Mundy

Finished my first "serious" ship project: USS England (DE 635). I still have some rigging to be done, but I'll save it for another day.

I don't think she ever wore Measure 22, but I needed a break from 21 with my Benson project. The way Benson's going, I think she'll look better.

The 1.1" I stole from Benson -- the one in this kit really sucked. The 20mm guns had their barrels replaced with brass ones. That wasn't nearly as hard as I feared. The 3" guns are resin replacements. Other than that, I used Gold Medal Etch set for sprucing it up. I found that Tamiya spray can primer was "good enough" for WWII haze gray, so that saved some extra painting.

I have a PC-461 and CVL-22 Independence on the blocks.

Ed-

< Message edited by Mundy -- 10/7/2013 3:54:35 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 73
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/7/2013 7:25:29 PM   
nashvillen

NICE!

Is that 1/350?

< Message edited by nashvillen -- 10/7/2013 7:26:03 PM >

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 74
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/7/2013 7:28:42 PM   
Mundy

Yep, 1/350.  I've dabbled with 1/700, but have found it to be "braille scale".  I figure it's the ship equivalent of airplanes' 1/48 scale.

I realized last night I completely forgot to put on the rudder(s).  Have to dig that out.

Loose Cannon has a beautiful 1/700 Long Island, which I may make an exception for. Lots of photoetch to replicate the girder work under the deck.

Ed-

< Message edited by Mundy -- 10/7/2013 7:30:32 PM >

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 75
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/7/2013 9:19:19 PM   
nashvillen

I have a Fletcher 1/350 sitting on the shelf with some etched brass detail parts. Waiting on this winter to start it.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 76
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/7/2013 11:33:31 PM   
Mundy

I'd like to eventually hit all the DD classes. I think Iron Shipwrights makes a 1/350 USS Ward, which would be neat. I do want a four-stacker.

Ed-

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 77
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/7/2013 11:51:27 PM   
John 3rd

That is a FINE piece of work with England!

We work with 1/700 for nostalgia but 1/350 is so much nicer to work on!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 78
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/8/2013 12:27:16 AM   
wdolson

Ditto on the work on the England. Very nice looking. I was just reading about the career of the England a couple of weeks back. She was quite the sub killer knocking off 6 subs in a span of a couple of weeks.

Mirage has several 4 stacker kits in 1/400 scale. They have a the Ward, the Cambelltown (as outfitted for the raid where she was destroyed), the Stewart in Japanese service and a few others.

Revell also has an old 4 stacker kit in some odd scale around 1/200 scale. The Revell kit is currently on release and I picked up a couple cheap for around $10 each. They aren't bad for a mold from the 60s. They are selling it as the Campbelltown, but the outfitting and decals are for a pre-war USN DD.

Dragon has been releasing the US DDs in 1/350 scale. They have the Gearing, Livermore, and Bristol class (the Livermore/Bristols were very similar).

For large ships 1/700 isn't bad, though 1/350 is terrific. For smaller ships, 1/700 scale gets way too small, though there are more IJN ships available in 1/700 than in 1/350 and the IJN ships available in 1/350 tend to have nose bleed prices. The new IJN carriers from Fujimi and Hasegawa run around $300 each. You can find 1/350 Essex class carriers from Trumpeter for well under $100 if you hunt around and wait for a sale or a good deal on Ebay. I'm sure the quality difference isn't worth the difference. For $300 I'd want a full PE set, wooden deck, and a complete hanger deck. I don't think the Japanese made kits have any of that.

Bill

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 79
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/8/2013 12:32:13 AM   
Mundy

Thanks, John. Overall I've learned a lot about meshing building/painting sequences doing this one. That and my new Iwata airbrush, which is a joy to work with.

I'll post the Benson when I'm done. I have one pic earlier in this thread.

I can do a little each night, but the little pieces wear out my patience each night. I folded the photoetch floater net baskets. I have a metal rod with one of my photoetch tools which is the perfect diameter for wrapping the basket shape around. I only had to build 4 20mm mounts. Seems light for this late in the war.

Something to pass the time while waiting for my turn. I'm giving the Japanese a shot this time in a PBEM, and am trying to wrap my head around their OOB. Shipping scattered hither and yon...

Ed-

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 80
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/8/2013 12:41:58 AM   
Mundy

I've been happy with Dragon's kits. I don't feel the need to replace the weapons on them. Slide molding tech is pretty amazing nowadays. Trumpeter tends to be hit and miss. Trumpeter and Academy put out an Indianapolis at around the same time. Trumpy managed to bork the rear hull by completely missing the sharp cutoff at the back. Ditto with their Yorktowns -- completely blew the forward hull shape. Looked more like an oil tanker than the proper graceful lines.

Their short hull Essexes are supposed to be pretty good, so I may try one sometime. Next CV after Independence will be Gambier Bay, though. Hasegawa did a great job with that kit. The only discrepancy I've read about was a rangefinder on the island instead of the two air watch stations which replaced it by the time she was sunk.

BTW, if England looks a bit "dirty", I gave her a wash job. Seemed right with that light colored scheme. I took a hiatus about 10 years ago with a Warhammer 40k/FB obsession. It did teach me a lot about painting, which I'm now trying to apply to "real" models.

Ed-

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 81
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 1:04:19 AM   
coreyjones

I have always found pastels work great for weathering, or paint the panel lines lightly with a flat black and then paint over it. Then when you are done with all your painting spray something like future floor polish over it and it will seal in the paint and keep dust from ruining the coat. If we are just talking about just ships i have only built the 1/350 scale Yamato. If you want to get a great wood effect you must go to the larger scales. The newer Hasegawa Akagi has a aftermarket kit set where you can install wooden decks and photo etch parts. I use to model on a competition scale, but its been years. If ya'll have any questions feel free to ask,

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 82
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 1:22:08 AM   
wdolson

When I was a teenager I discovered weathering with women's make up. Eye shadow works great for browns and blacks. I did feel rather self conscious buying make up in the local drug store when I was 17. The cashier didn't even blink though.

Another trick I learned from trial and error I haven't seen anywhere is to use white glue to attach anything you want to attach for painting, but may want to remove after you paint like canopies on aircraft kits. The white glue comes up with a fingernail and it sticks well enough and makes a good enough seal to do the painting with the airbrush.

Bill

(in reply to coreyjones)
Post #: 83
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 2:37:47 AM   
Mundy

This is my current project, USS Benson. I don't think I'll use a wash with this one. I'm going to use a lighter blue via drybrushing to pop out the detail a bit. Basically I need to add the misc bits like the K gun & depth charge racks the torpedo mounts, masts and finally the railings. All the racks are photoetch, but they're not hard to do.

Before I start Independence, I'll need a photoetch set. Gold Medal has one and so does Eduard. I'm leaning towards the later as it's about half the price. The former runs about 2/3 the cost of the kit itself.

Ed-

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 84
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 4:58:50 PM   
John 3rd

Talked it over with my wife and we might try to buy a 1/350 for a Christmas present. In people's opinions what are the better Japanese models out there for this scale? Price? Where to buy?

THANKS!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 85
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 5:04:51 PM   
Mundy

I know Hasegawa is up there.  I would love their 1/350 Akagi, but the $300-ish price puts it out of my reach right now.

I think Dragon is out of Hong Kong.  Their stuff is great.

Here's my favorite source.  Very ship-friendly.  You can sort through the categories on the left.

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/

EDIT:

Here's a source of inspiration for me. Good place for reviews, too.

Model Warships

Ed-

< Message edited by Mundy -- 10/9/2013 6:00:25 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 86
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 8:00:29 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Talked it over with my wife and we might try to buy a 1/350 for a Christmas present. In people's opinions what are the better Japanese models out there for this scale? Price? Where to buy?

THANKS!

The new Tamiya 1:350 cruiser kits are really nice, but they are up there in price too. I'm in Canada and they go for around $189 a pop with limited photo-etch or extras.

The older Tamiya 1:350 Battleship kits are still nice, but there is a new Yamato kit out that is fantastic but will run you over $300.

I have the Hasegawa 1:350 Akagi and it's a beauty, but after all the photo-etch, extra aircraft and stuff I've spent close to $500.

The newer Japanese aircraft carrier and battleship kits from Fujimi and Hasegawa are nice, but I just can't justify paying almost $400 dollars a kit and that doesn't include any extras as Bill pointed out. I went all out for the Akagi, but as much as I'd like to get more of the Japanese CV's in 1:350, I just can't justify the expense anymore.

Dragon's kits are also nice and cover a few of the American CVL's and many different U.S. Destroyer classes.

I really think the trumpeter 1:350 ship kits are the best value for the scale. They may suffer a little more in terms of accuracy, but are still great value compared to the other manufacturers. They are improving every kit though in my opinion.

I hope this provides you some additional information to help choose your upcoming project. Also, any kit you are thinking about getting, just google for reviews and you'll find tons of helpful info to help choose the right kit for you and your family.

I've also ordered from Free Time Hobbies and they have a fantastic selection. Bill swears by Squadron and gets deals all the time.

< Message edited by SqzMyLemon -- 10/9/2013 8:04:54 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 87
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 8:20:07 PM   
AW1Steve

England is one ship I'd very much like to build. My wife is particularly fond of her. In 1942 her uncle was aboard USS LST 342, which was torpedoed by RO-106. England sank RO-106 in her sub sinking spree. So my spouses family has always had a soft spot for USS England.  

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 88
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 9:45:21 PM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

The new Tamiya 1:350 cruiser kits are really nice, but they are up there in price too. I'm in Canada and they go for around $189 a pop with limited photo-etch or extras.

The older Tamiya 1:350 Battleship kits are still nice, but there is a new Yamato kit out that is fantastic but will run you over $300.

I have a couple of the older Tamiya 1/350 kits. They are older kits, so you don't get the eye popping detail from the new high pressure molds, but for the era, they are probably the best in the scale, and they are well priced.

quote:

I have the Hasegawa 1:350 Akagi and it's a beauty, but after all the photo-etch, extra aircraft and stuff I've spent close to $500.

The newer Japanese aircraft carrier and battleship kits from Fujimi and Hasegawa are nice, but I just can't justify paying almost $400 dollars a kit and that doesn't include any extras as Bill pointed out. I went all out for the Akagi, but as much as I'd like to get more of the Japanese CV's in 1:350, I just can't justify the expense anymore.

Dragon's kits are also nice and cover a few of the American CVL's and many different U.S. Destroyer classes.

I haven't seen all the 1/350 kits out there, but among those I have seen so far the best looking carrier kit I've seen is Dragon's Independence class I think. It has more detail (complete hanger deck) and has the nice new molding.

quote:

I really think the trumpeter 1:350 ship kits are the best value for the scale. They may suffer a little more in terms of accuracy, but are still great value compared to the other manufacturers. They are improving every kit though in my opinion.

I hope this provides you some additional information to help choose your upcoming project. Also, any kit you are thinking about getting, just google for reviews and you'll find tons of helpful info to help choose the right kit for you and your family.

I've also ordered from Free Time Hobbies and they have a fantastic selection. Bill swears by Squadron and gets deals all the time.

I've bought a few kits from Free Time, though it was several years ago. I have no complaints. For some 1/700 scale kits I watched the currency markets and bought a few from Hobby Link Japan. When the Yen to Dollar conversion is favorable (which it has been the last year, the yen has taken a beating since the 2011 earthquake), you can get some pretty good deals out of Japan on kits made in Japan. I haven't seriously looked at ordering any 1/350 kits form Japan because I think the shipping would probably kill any savings I got on the kit.

Bill

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 89
RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships - 10/9/2013 9:53:17 PM   
Mundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

England is one ship I'd very much like to build. My wife is particularly fond of her. In 1942 her uncle was aboard USS LST 342, which was torpedoed by RO-106. England sank RO-106 in her sub sinking spree. So my spouses family has always had a soft spot for USS England.  

That kit's definitely one of the cheaper ones to get. For it's price it was a great deal.

Ed-

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Building 1/700 - 1/350 ships Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI