Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

If you set research to max you can never research anything!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> If you set research to max you can never research anything! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
If you set research to max you can never research anyth... - 10/14/2013 7:04:30 PM   
Tanaka

I'm playing a new slow game with research set to max and Ive noticed its an impossible setting to use because the research never gets far along enough before it is eventually reset by a critical research failure or setback. On each branch every time. You might get to 80% if your lucky!

Post #: 1
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/14/2013 7:08:29 PM   
Shark7

Check your scientist characters, sounds like you have a 'Creative' scientist which is much more prone to critical break-throughs and critical failures. May be worth dismissing that character if one exists.

I play with 999k research and don't have any problems doing research.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 2
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/14/2013 7:57:32 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Check your scientist characters, sounds like you have a 'Creative' scientist which is much more prone to critical break-throughs and critical failures. May be worth dismissing that character if one exists.

I play with 999k research and don't have any problems doing research.

Oh wow your exactly right and it seems like the setbacks are more powerful than the breakthroughs which is another problem. Tough to dismiss my only scientist to fix this! I guess if the AI has this type of scientist they are screwed because they cannot dismiss!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/14/2013 9:50:34 PM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka
Oh wow your exactly right and it seems like the setbacks are more powerful than the breakthroughs which is another problem. Tough to dismiss my only scientist to fix this! I guess if the AI has this type of scientist they are screwed because they cannot dismiss!

Seems like a scaling bug to mee. Shouldn't be possible to never get any research with a creative scientist.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 4
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/15/2013 12:27:18 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tanaka

Seems like a scaling bug to mee. Shouldn't be possible to never get any research with a creative scientist.

I've had one project get set back 4 times in one game. I eventually just stole it from the Ancient Guardians, and didn't have any problems after that. I'm not quite sure exactly what happens to cause it.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 5
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/15/2013 10:01:50 AM   
FerretStyle

In my experience there is a roughly equal chance of setback or breakthrough, and if I remember right a project cannot get a setback once crash research has been initiated on it so you end up with a net gain of research in most cases.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 6
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/15/2013 5:08:19 PM   
Fenrisfil

quote:

ORIGINAL: FerretStyle

In my experience there is a roughly equal chance of setback or breakthrough, and if I remember right a project cannot get a setback once crash research has been initiated on it so you end up with a net gain of research in most cases.

Which is a very good reason to always initiate a crash project when a technology is almost finished being researched. Has a minimal cost, speeds it up and protects against such great research disasters. It also means that if you get a random free crash project it won't be on something you've almost finished researching.

Worst one for me though is pre-warp where you get a setback on Warp Bubble, Hyperdrives or Colonisation.

(in reply to FerretStyle)
Post #: 7
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/15/2013 5:41:48 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

quote:

Which is a very good reason to always initiate a crash project when a technology is almost finished being researched. Has a minimal cost, speeds it up and protects against such great research disasters. It also means that if you get a random free crash project it won't be on something you've almost finished researching.

Worst one for me though is pre-warp where you get a setback on Warp Bubble, Hyperdrives or Colonisation.

Good advice. After having some techs get setback from 90% completion to 10% completion, you definately learn the value of spending a few extra credits.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Fenrisfil)
Post #: 8
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 10/15/2013 7:38:24 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fenrisfil

quote:

Good advice. After having some techs get setback from 90% completion to 10% completion, you definately learn the value of spending a few extra credits.

Very good advice. I have had tier 6/7 techs fail multiple times, for massive RP point loses.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: If you set research to max you can never research a... - 12/4/2013 1:11:48 AM   
elliotg

Thanks for the report. I've fixed this in the next update so that larger projects have less chance of a critical research success or failure. Over the longer research lifetime of these larger projects, this should minimize the problems you were seeing.

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> If you set research to max you can never research anything! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI