Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 5:06:31 PM   
SLAAKMAN

Attachment (1)

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to DampSquib)
Post #: 871
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 5:27:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Almost done (90%) with William Petty's "Essays on Mankind and Political Arithmetic"

Then I start (today or tomorrow)

David Ricardo's "On the Principles of Political Economy and Taxation"

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 872
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 5:30:41 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

TulliusDetritus

Thanks. Someday Ill catch up to those.

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 873
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 6:17:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

warspite1

Is it an illusion or is that a block of wood?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 874
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 6:27:28 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

warspite1

Its merely Anti-Silly Warspite-Newblette camouflage designed to lure you into an ambush.

Trilaterals Over America

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 875
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 6:32:28 PM   
warspite1

No genuinely, it looks like a shelf from Ikea i.e. where the side of the shelf is not finished (as its going against the side of the unit). Bizarre....

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 876
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 6:34:17 PM   
SLAAKMAN

(Apparently you'll have to wait until those magic mushrooms wear off before engaging the topic).

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 877
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 6:43:22 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

TulliusDetritus

Thanks. Someday Ill catch up to those.

We can swap things

You take Petty and Ricardo and I "read" the *INDIA* thing

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 878
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 7:01:51 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson is what I'm reading at the moment.

Funny coincidence. I read it (not really) 6 months ago. A loong book. Still, I gave up after reading the 50% or so. Way too dry in the end... chronology, chronology and then some more chronology (plus military operations: NOT really explained). And the myriad of Lilliputian German entities make the whole thing a nightmare

Long but too dry

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 879
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 9:31:57 PM   
Boomer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy by Peter H. Wilson is what I'm reading at the moment.

Funny coincidence. I read it (not really) 6 months ago. A loong book. Still, I gave up after reading the 50% or so. Way too dry in the end... chronology, chronology and then some more chronology (plus military operations: NOT really explained). And the myriad of Lilliputian German entities make the whole thing a nightmare

Long but too dry

I'm gonna pick that one up anyway. Dry or not... matters not to me. I've got plenty of bathroom academic time to spare.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

Post #: 880
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 10:26:12 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Long but too dry

Not as dry as reading Colossus Reborn though. :)

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

Post #: 881
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/16/2013 10:27:21 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

It's a block of wood with the title of a work of fiction.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 882
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2013 5:31:10 PM   
Chickenboy

Just starting "The Last Battle", a newly released non-fiction accounting of some actions with Wehrmacht troops standing together with Americans against some SS dead-enders in the last few days of the war.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 883
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/17/2013 8:28:07 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Orwellian,
It's a block of wood with the title of a work of fiction.

I believe also that you are just a work of pig-mentation.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 884
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2013 1:40:09 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Just starting "The Last Battle", a newly released non-fiction accounting of some actions with Wehrmacht troops standing together with Americans against some SS dead-enders in the last few days of the war.

Apologies for the run-on sentence here, mates. The book (thus far) is a riveting romp through the chaos surrounding war's end.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 885
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2013 1:45:37 PM   
terje439

Reading a book about the Allied operations in the Narvik area during WWII. Found an amusing anecdote in it;
-The Norwegian army captured some Fokkers from the Germans, repainted them in Norwegian colours and based it on one of their "airfields". The British fighter pilots flew over the "airfield" (really just a lake with the snow cleared off the ice), saw the Fokkers, mistook them for Germans, strafed them and destroyed three of them.
When the Norwegian army complained about this to the British, they were told that they were more than welcome to strafe and destroy three British aircrafts in return...

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 886
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2013 6:38:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Reading a book about the Allied operations in the Narvik area during WWII. Found an amusing anecdote in it;
-The Norwegian army captured some Fokkers from the Germans, repainted them in Norwegian colours and based it on one of their "airfields". The British fighter pilots flew over the "airfield" (really just a lake with the snow cleared off the ice), saw the Fokkers, mistook them for Germans, strafed them and destroyed three of them.
When the Norwegian army complained about this to the British, they were told that they were more than welcome to strafe and destroy three British aircrafts in return...

Terje
warspite1

Terje439 have you read The Battle For Norway and the German Invasion of Norway by Geirr H Haarr? Stonkingly good books, although they concentrate on the naval side rather than the land war

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 887
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2013 10:06:56 PM   
Hotschi

Just finished The Battle for Singapore by Peter Thompson - very good book, started Singapore Burning by Colin Smith.

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 10/18/2013 10:08:38 PM >

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 888
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/18/2013 10:39:25 PM   
CGGrognard

Flyboys - A True Story of Courage by James Bradley.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 889
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/19/2013 6:32:17 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Terje439 have you read The Battle For Norway and the German Invasion of Norway by Geirr H Haarr? Stonkingly good books, although they concentrate on the naval side rather than the land war

No, on my "to get" list now though, thx for the tip.
My main problem in terms of getting hold of books is that;
a) I prefer a bookshop to online sites
b) the place I live in is rather small (7000 inhabitants), so the amount of books that are of interest is somewhat slight.
As a result I tend to buy most of my books when on vacation (was stopped at customs with 10kg worth of books in my backpack on my way home after my last trip to London )

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 890
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/19/2013 11:04:41 PM   
wodin

Another fantastic Jason Mark book..A great companion to Island of Fire which is my favourite book..ever. This was gifted to me from a very kind person. However his books are well worth savign for, or asking as an mas present..which is what I normally do, I have his Cholm book coming for Xmas.

Superb quality.

Into Oblivion: The Story of Pionier-Bataillon 305

Author: Jason D. Mark
After 16 months of training and garrison duty in France, Pionier-Bataillon 305 – together with the rest of 305. Infanterie-Division – was sent to the Eastern Front. Little could they know that an inevitable train of events had been set in motion that would lead to their destruction at Stalingrad barely nine months later.

An unprecedented discovery of original material has permitted an examination of the brutal fighting on the Eastern Front through the eyes of one German battalion. Commanded by apolitical officers, reservists mainly, its ranks were filled with older-than-normal recruits. When they arrived on the Eastern Front in May 1942, it was a first time visit for most of them, yet they sensed what awaited them. Everyone knew someone who had been killed in the Soviet Union. Stories about the ferocity of combat on the Eastern Front had reached them through the soldier’s grapevine. They were under no illusions, but still believed they would prevail.

Weeks of monotonous, endless marching were interspersed with terrifying encounters and set-piece attacks. How would this fresh battalion compare with experienced units? Were its men less jaded and more inspired than those that had been at the front since Barbarossa began in June 1941? Was the arrival of a tough, battle-hardened commander enough to compensate for the unit’s lack of combat experience? What effect did the ongoing casualties have on both the soldiers and the battalion’s performance in battle? By exploring and answering these questions and others, this intimate analysis of an ordinary battalion enables the Eastern Front to be seen as never before.

• 620 pages on a high-quality satin (semi-gloss) stock
• 210 x 157mm
• Hardcover only
• 327 photos
• 56 maps and sketches
• 7 aerial photos
• 5 tables
• 3 appendices, including officer biographies and medal lists.

LINK

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/19/2013 11:05:38 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 891
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/20/2013 12:15:46 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Cool. Wishlisted it.

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 892
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/20/2013 2:29:24 AM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Cool. Wishlisted it.

MMM, looks good. I too wishlisted it.

Currently reading the excellent:

Shrouds of Glory: From Atlanta to Nashville: The Last Great Campaign of the Civil War by Winston Groom

Oh, and while gaming or driving, listening to the AMAZING:

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination That Changed America Forever, by Bill O'Reilly

< Message edited by parusski -- 10/20/2013 2:33:12 AM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 893
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/21/2013 3:13:00 AM   
SLAAKMAN

“Last Man Out” Makes Shocking 9/11 Disclosure

quote:

The 9/11 Commission Hearing

At the closed-door 9/11 Commission hearing, Rodriguez testified under oath that explosions were going off in the basement of the North Tower before the first plane impacted the building.

He explained in great detail to the Commissioners the numerous cases of serious injuries he had personally witnessed that were caused by these explosions.

He even provided the panel with a list of firsthand witnesses to the explosions, people who were ready to testify under oath.

One of the individuals Rodriguez recommended the panel summon was his friend and fellow employee, John Mongello.

Mongello was in the lobby of the neighboring South Tower when the first aircraft plowed into the North Tower where Rodriguez was located.

It would be another sixteen minutes before the second aircraft would rip into the one Mongello was in.

Yet, within a minute of the first plane hitting the North Tower, an elevator in the SOUTH Tower exploded to smithereens right before his eyes!

Mongello and others were literally blown backwards by the blast, as people—many, horribly burned—began to run willy-nilly shrieking in pain, shock, and sheer terror. Thick, black smoke could be seen billowing out of the now exposed elevator shaft, and the pungent smell of “gunpowder” was very evident.

Again, just as with the North Tower, this explosion occurred inside a building that had NOT YET BEEN STRUCK BY A PLANE!

How could a plane crashing into the North Tower possibly have caused elevators in the SOUTH Tower to explode?

The esteemed 9/11 Commission never bothered to find out.

Worse, and to his utter disbelief, Rodriguez later discovered that his statements were completely omitted from the official record. As a result, not one word of this decorated hero’s startling testimony appeared in the much-ballyhooed 9/11 Commission Report, a document that continues to be touted as “the most detailed, definitive study of the events of 9/11.”

Furthermore, Rodriguez was told, quite emphatically, not to speak about the explosions to others until “further investigations” had been carried out. As the world knows, this has yet to happen.

As a result of much public pressure, the Commission’s investigation records were finally made public—seven years later, in January 2009.

Rodriguez was stunned to find that his testimony was among those marked “restricted,” and thus inaccessible to the public. His crucial evidence remains restricted to this day.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2011/08/10/%E2%80%9Clast-man-out-makes-shocking-911-disclosure/

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 894
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/21/2013 11:28:03 PM   
nate25

Common Sense - Thomas Paine.

Should be required reading for every elected official we send to D.C.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 895
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/22/2013 1:27:04 AM   
Gilmer

I'm re-reading Red Storm Rising, in honor of Tom Clancy and one of the best books I ever read and what turned me to these types of thrillers.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to nate25)
Post #: 896
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/22/2013 9:20:09 PM   
warspite1

Just bought Monty's Men - John Buckley. All about re-appraising the performance of the British Army from D-Day to VE-Day. So far so good.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 897
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 10/23/2013 8:31:40 AM   
histgamer

Red Storm Rising

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 898
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/1/2013 2:27:59 PM   
fodder

The Great Commanders of World War II. Volume IV: The Japanease

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 899
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/1/2013 8:12:13 PM   
warspite1

Got these two on order Well its almost Christmas...ish

Seaforth Publishing and Norman Friedman - great combination.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/1/2013 8:13:01 PM >

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI