Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/1/2013 9:15:11 PM   
Hotschi

Naval AA Gunnery sounds interesting, warspite1

I am awaiting delivery of this here;

Hostages to Fortune

And am thinking about this here;

British Pacific Fleet

Is this the first Norman Friedman book you ordered? He's published one about Gearing destroyers, which would interest me, but am not sure. Do his books have drawings or the like?

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 11/1/2013 9:17:56 PM >

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 901
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/1/2013 9:21:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

]Hostages to Fortune

British Pacific Fleet

Is this the first Norman Friedman book you ordered? He's published one about Gearing destroyers, which would interest me, but am not sure. Do his books have drawings or the like?
warspite1

I have British Carrier Aviation, US Battleships, British Cruisers and two volumes of British destroyers. Yes, lots of pictures and drawings - very comprehensive books.

I have The British Pacific Fleet (Hobbs) but have yet to read it. The only reason its been relegated in reading order is that I have twice read Winton's excellent The Forgotten Fleet in the past. I am looking forward to getting around to it.

Too many books...so little time....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 902
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/2/2013 11:34:53 AM   
DampSquib

Half way through THE TUNNELS of CU CHI. - Tom Mangold & John Penycate.
Then on to Fields of Fire. - James Webb.

< Message edited by DampSquib -- 11/2/2013 1:14:52 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 903
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/12/2013 8:56:00 AM   
allisonhadsell

Jay Asher - Thirteen Reasons Why, next will be "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 904
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/12/2013 12:33:35 PM   
Greybriar

Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian W. Toll.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to allisonhadsell)
Post #: 905
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/12/2013 9:12:59 PM   
altipueri

Churchill - Marlborough - His Life and Times

"He commanded the armies of Europe against France for ten campaigns. He fought four great battles and many important actions. It is a common boast of his champions that he never fought a battle that he did not win, nor beseiged a fortress that he did not take. Amid all the chances and baffling accidents of war he produced victory with almost mechanical certainty."

Are there any games that cover this period?

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 906
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/12/2013 9:15:09 PM   
warspite1

Sadly my 3 books on the go have taken a back seat. I will be reading the rule books for Matrix World In Flames for some time to come....

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 907
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 8:43:18 AM   
Boomer78

My copy of 30 Years War by Peter Wilson finally came in. Wow. That's a mighty beefy book. My next 326 trips to the bathroom are taken care of.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 908
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 9:20:27 AM   
lecrop

Anthony Beevor's Berlin: The Downfall 1945, to be informed when I reach the end of the game with MWiF, within 5 or 6 years ...

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 909
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 12:04:27 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Sadly my 3 books on the go have taken a back seat. I will be reading the rule books for Matrix World In Flames for some time to come....

Do let us know how that goes, Warspite1. We're all counting on you.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 910
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 12:06:08 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

]Hostages to Fortune

British Pacific Fleet

warspite1

I have British Carrier Aviation, US Battleships, British Cruisers and two volumes of British destroyers. Yes, lots of pictures and drawings - very comprehensive books.

I have The British Pacific Fleet (Hobbs) but have yet to read it. The only reason its been relegated in reading order is that I have twice read Winton's excellent The Forgotten Fleet in the past. I am looking forward to getting around to it.

Having been travelling a lot recently, I've had a chance to dig into "Castles of Steel" some more. For a campaign and war that I'm less familiar with, it's a well written piece.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 911
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 12:06:08 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

My copy of 30 Years War by Peter Wilson finally came in. Wow. That's a mighty beefy book. My next 326 trips to the bathroom are taken care of.

Enjoy

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 11/13/2013 1:06:12 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 912
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 2:51:32 PM   
Boomer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: lecrop

Anthony Beevor's Berlin: The Downfall 1945, to be informed when I reach the end of the game with MWiF, within 5 or 6 years ...

Really good read for the most part. One criticism I have is that the book switches back and forth between personal stories of Berliners during the war, and then other side being the political and military details. It's almost like Beevor was trying to write 2 books in one... certainly is the length of two books. Other than the up and down of the narrative, it was a really good book otherwise.

I certainly had no idea that the Germans were that outnumbered during their 'Hitlergrad.' I thought it was more of a battle than it actually was. The book mentions something like about 60,000 troops, mostly Volkssturm and weakened army units fighting half a million really pissed off Russians.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 913
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 8:36:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

warspite1

Too much information per chance?

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 914
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 8:36:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: lecrop

warspite1

Nice Beevor...sorry had to say it

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 915
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 8:37:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Do let us know how that goes, Warspite1. We're all counting on you.
warspite1

Why not check out Bob Flemin's MWIF AARse in the World In Flames forum old chap?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 916
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 8:39:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

]Hostages to Fortune

British Pacific Fleet

warspite1

Having been travelling a lot recently, I've had a chance to dig into "Castles of Steel" some more. For a campaign and war that I'm less familiar with, it's a well written piece.
warspite1

Until CTGW came out this time last year and I got into that, I knew bugger all about WWI. Bought a load of books to get up the curve including Castles of Steel which I read over the last year. What a stonker of a book - absolutely brilliant

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 917
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/13/2013 9:28:03 PM   
Rosseau

I am saving Castles of Steel for Christmas. Glad it is good.

Now reading The 10,000 by the guy who wrote Team Yankee. It is not very good. But wow, whoever recommended The Sixth Battle was right. Awesome book. Thanks.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 918
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/14/2013 3:30:17 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

]Hostages to Fortune

British Pacific Fleet

warspite1

warspite1

Until CTGW came out this time last year and I got into that, I knew bugger all about WWI. Bought a load of books to get up the curve including Castles of Steel which I read over the last year. What a stonker of a book - absolutely brilliant

Warspite1,

Is there a single volume that you'd recommend on a grand overview of WWI? I know less about that war than most others and it was so formative to European history. Good titles appreciated.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 919
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/14/2013 4:25:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

]Hostages to Fortune

British Pacific Fleet

warspite1

warspite1

Warspite1,

Is there a single volume that you'd recommend on a grand overview of WWI? I know less about that war than most others and it was so formative to European history. Good titles appreciated.
warspite1

I don't want to steer you wrong CB and would suggest wodin's your man for WWI - I know he has an extensive collection on that war. However I used:

The First World War. A Complete History by Martin Gilbert. A very readable tome.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 920
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/15/2013 9:20:38 PM   
Hotschi

Finished Singapore Burning by Colin Smith - very good reading. Started reading Wars of Empire by Douglas Porch. Hostages to Fortune, as mentioned above, already arrived at my place.

Ordered David Hobbs' The British Pacifc Fleet today, as well as a paperbook, which I was eyeing already for a while, namely Wings over the Pacific by Alex Horn - about the RNZAF in the Pacific War. Usually sells around 75 Euros but there was one on offer for 2/3 of this. Still expensive for a paperback, but I am insane enough to pay it

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 921
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/15/2013 10:18:09 PM   
Max 86

The Massacre of ABDA by JF Ready - Kindle version. Poorly written, desperately needs an editor. Some paragraphs are literally pointless....literally. Otherwise, author did their homework covering the initial Japanese advance in Dec1941 in all ABDA theatres, Malaya, Phillipines, etc.... I have learned quite a bit on the Japanese side. Nothing spectacular unless the subject is of special interest to you.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 922
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/15/2013 10:25:58 PM   
Navodchik

Just finished Bernard Cornwell's Azincourt. Fictional story about longbowmen in Hundred Years' War. Very fast to read and entertaining (and yes, bloody) like most books by Cornwell, but I found also the novel's period quite interesting because I didn't know literally anything about this conflict.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 923
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2013 1:30:33 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

I am saving Castles of Steel for Christmas. Glad it is good.

Now reading The 10,000 by the guy who wrote Team Yankee. It is not very good. But wow, whoever recommended The Sixth Battle was right. Awesome book. Thanks.

I read Team Yankee many years ago. Pretty fun read IIRC. Most of the war books I have these days, though, are statistical books and not really war stories of any kind. Too much gaming has taken its toll on my book collection.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 924
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2013 2:45:57 AM   
berto

Taking a break from The Story of Civilization, now reading Charles Krauthammer's Things That Matter: Three Decades of Passions, Pastimes and Politics.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 925
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2013 3:23:21 AM   
DSwain

"Defeat Into Victory" Bill Slim and "Overlord" Max Hastings

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 926
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2013 8:24:17 AM   
cpdeyoung

Jonathan Sperber's new biography of Karl Marx. I am very impressed, and learning a lot.

Chuck

(in reply to DSwain)
Post #: 927
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/16/2013 1:23:13 PM   
Orm

Just finished the sixth book in The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saxon_Stories

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 928
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/19/2013 5:00:56 PM   
nate25

Stackpole's "Michael Wittman and the Waffen SS Tiger Commanders of the Leibstandarte in WWII, Volumes One and Two, By Patrick Agte.

Just picked them up. Hoping for a good read.

< Message edited by nate25 -- 11/19/2013 6:22:00 PM >

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 929
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 11/21/2013 12:46:49 AM   
Ranger33

Dune by Frank Herbert.

Amazing read so far. It's like a sci-fi Game of Thrones, minus the R rated bits.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI