Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general - 11/24/2013 7:56:30 AM   
icitrom_y

I found out about the 1.0.4 update by accident while reading an unrelated thread. Are updates no longer posted as "announcements" in this forum? Is the announcement somewhere else? I'm not seeing it.

In particular, I'm looking for the change log that goes with it. There are no ReadMe files with the updates. I was copying the post itself and creating a ReadMe file myself. But, without a post I can't do that. I'd like to know what 1.0.4 fixes.

Moreover, I see that you guys are deleting prior updates. Perhaps it is a good idea is to maintain a single global updates change log.

Is deleting prior updates a good idea? I understand that theoretically the idea is to update your software to the latest update. Not everyone always wants to do that, in particular when they find their system/game just fine as is. That's how I function and I know other people do as well. That is, I usually keep my software updated to the latest version. But sometimes, on a case-by-case basis, I explicitly choose not to update.

As such, won't that create collisions between players who have their game at different update versions? Then, if two or more players want to play together, they will be forced to update to the highest version among them whether they want to or not.

Also, can MWiF handle the case when it, itself, is in one version, and a game in progress' saved file is in another? If not, then the situation I mention above will suddenly make a player's own saved files incompatible.

I don't know if these use-cases have been accounted for. I'm just mentioning them in case.
Post #: 1
RE: About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general - 11/24/2013 8:32:23 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: icitrom_y

I found out about the 1.0.4 update by accident while reading an unrelated thread. Are updates no longer posted as "announcements" in this forum? Is the announcement somewhere else? I'm not seeing it.

In particular, I'm looking for the change log that goes with it. There are no ReadMe files with the updates. I was copying the post itself and creating a ReadMe file myself. But, without a post I can't do that. I'd like to know what 1.0.4 fixes.

Moreover, I see that you guys are deleting prior updates. Perhaps it is a good idea is to maintain a single global updates change log.

Is deleting prior updates a good idea? I understand that theoretically the idea is to update your software to the latest update. Not everyone always wants to do that, in particular when they find their system/game just fine as is. That's how I function and I know other people do as well. That is, I usually keep my software updated to the latest version. But sometimes, on a case-by-case basis, I explicitly choose not to update.

As such, won't that create collisions between players who have their game at different update versions? Then, if two or more players want to play together, they will be forced to update to the highest version among them whether they want to or not.

Also, can MWiF handle the case when it, itself, is in one version, and a game in progress' saved file is in another? If not, then the situation I mention above will suddenly make a player's own saved files incompatible.

I don't know if these use-cases have been accounted for. I'm just mentioning them in case.

Saved game files (*.GAM) have been stable for a long time. I'm able to restore saved games from 2009, probably older ones. There haven't been any changes to the GAM format for several months. Should there be changes in the future, I'll use the system I've been using for the past 7 years to make them backward compatible. That is, the program checks the version under which the GAM file was created and allows for any recent changes in the format when it reads it in.

What the program does not do, and will complain if it encounters this situation, is permit using an old version of the program to restore games that were saved using a newer version. [I don't know why anyone would want to do that.]

---

There should have been a ReadMe update with the version. I checked that for the trial version of the Update for 1.0.4 that I approved. But I'll leave that issue, and the other concerns you mentioned, for the Matrix personnel who release updates to answer.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to icitrom_y)
Post #: 2
RE: About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general - 11/24/2013 8:48:02 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:05:59 AM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 3
RE: About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general - 11/24/2013 11:08:44 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:05:53 AM >

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 4
RE: About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general - 11/24/2013 7:13:08 PM   
icitrom_y

I see the WhatsNew.pdf file now. Thanks.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> About the 1.0.4 update and updates in general Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI