Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/12/2013 3:51:10 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/24/2018 12:16:17 PM >

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 961
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/12/2013 4:00:54 PM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Catastrophe - I enjoyed this book. I liked the transition from diplomacy to the opening battles of the war.

Warspite1 - There does seem to be a big change in opinion of the British Army, in both world wars, from the books I read in my youth to today. I remember reading about the Normandy campaign after the landings, with some significant beating up of the British forces by the author. I don't remember the book just off hand.

Chuck
warspite1

Its a real shame because I find Max Hastings to be an excellent story teller. To be clear I do not have a problem with any pointing out of the truth, its the way it is being presented. He finally said something positive about the British performance in the latter stages of the Battle of the Marne, but essentially it boils down to this:

German and, particularly the French fought like lions but their leaders were rubbish,
The British hardly fought at all, and when they did, they were incompetent at all levels.
The German and French fighting is largely at army / corps level, while the tales of the British are at division, regiment or even smaller level - hence the comment earlier about having time to trash the merits of one soldier's Victoria Cross...

Just bought Catastrophe.
He's a great writer. I've read both Armageddon and Nemesis (Japan 44-45) and both were excellent.
He was very critical of the Western Allies in general. His point being that they broke through the German front once after nearly a month in Normandy and then for the next 7 months the only breakthrough was by the Germans (the Bulge).
You don't want to know his opinion about the British in Nemesis, never mind the Australians.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 962
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/12/2013 6:20:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Catastrophe - I enjoyed this book. I liked the transition from diplomacy to the opening battles of the war.

Warspite1 - There does seem to be a big change in opinion of the British Army, in both world wars, from the books I read in my youth to today. I remember reading about the Normandy campaign after the landings, with some significant beating up of the British forces by the author. I don't remember the book just off hand.

Chuck
warspite1

Its a real shame because I find Max Hastings to be an excellent story teller. To be clear I do not have a problem with any pointing out of the truth, its the way it is being presented. He finally said something positive about the British performance in the latter stages of the Battle of the Marne, but essentially it boils down to this:

German and, particularly the French fought like lions but their leaders were rubbish,
The British hardly fought at all, and when they did, they were incompetent at all levels.
The German and French fighting is largely at army / corps level, while the tales of the British are at division, regiment or even smaller level - hence the comment earlier about having time to trash the merits of one soldier's Victoria Cross...

Just bought Catastrophe.
He's a great writer. I've read both Armageddon and Nemesis (Japan 44-45) and both were excellent.
He was very critical of the Western Allies in general. His point being that they broke through the German front once after nearly a month in Normandy and then for the next 7 months the only breakthrough was by the Germans (the Bulge).
You don't want to know his opinion about the British in Nemesis, never mind the Australians.

warspite1

I didn't have a big issue with his criticism of the Western Allies in Armegeddon - because he at least gave some valid mitigants as to why they took so long to win the war. Its the fact that more and more he appears to be overcompensating for something by making his observations one sided to the point it no longer seems he is trying to be objective - rather he just has an axe to grind....

Still a very readable author though.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 963
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/13/2013 12:22:49 AM   
Saint Ruth

quote:

I didn't have a big issue with his criticism of the Western Allies in Armegeddon - because he at least gave some valid mitigants as to why they took so long to win the war. Its the fact that more and more he appears to be overcompensating for something by making his observations one sided to the point it no longer seems he is trying to be objective - rather he just has an axe to grind....

Indeed, he does seem to have an axe to grind. And, considering he writes for the Daily Mail, it's all rather confusing about what the 'axe' is.
Still, he writes well, and as long as Max Hastings isn't the only author one reads, I can't recommend him enough!
Actually, a bit like William Shirar's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. That would appall modern liberals with its descriptions of Nazis but, by Golly, it's a great read all the same.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 964
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/13/2013 2:51:22 AM   
KG Erwin

During the holiday vacation, I plan on revisiting Douglas Southall Freeman's classic "Lee's Lieutenants". I have all three volumes in my collection. These were published in the WWII years, and were read by many American generals during the war. Freeman has some detractors, but he convincingly shows that the decline in Confederate leadership, mainly due to attrition, was a primary cause in the South's loss in the ACW. I'm of the personal opinion that the CSA never had a chance, but the war could've been prolonged with the survival of Jackson, Stuart and several other Confederate combat leaders.

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 965
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/13/2013 4:57:36 PM   
Jevhaddah

Still working my way through Bernard Cornwell's 'Sharpe' books and I am currently on Sharpe's Sword.

I am reading them in chronological order and so far the library has had to 'buy in' two of the books for me.

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 966
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/13/2013 6:28:44 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

quote:

Indeed, he does seem to have an axe to grind. And, considering he writes for the Daily Mail, it's all rather confusing about what the 'axe' is.
Still, he writes well, and as long as Max Hastings isn't the only author one reads, I can't recommend him enough!
Actually, a bit like William Shirar's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. That would appall modern liberals with its descriptions of Nazis but, by Golly, it's a great read all the same.
warspite1

We seem to have similiar taste Saint Ruth

(in reply to Saint Ruth)
Post #: 967
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/14/2013 12:07:10 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Got these two on order Well its almost Christmas...ish

Seaforth Publishing and Norman Friedman - great combination.

warspite1

Well that's a shame...

Amazon still having trouble with a date for the former and they have just advised me they are cancelling my order for the latter as they have given up trying to get it...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 968
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/14/2013 7:34:08 PM   
Orm

Just finnished reading Redcoat by Bernard Cornwell.

To bad that this is a stand alone novel since I really liked the setting in the American Revolutionary War.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 969
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/21/2013 10:23:04 AM   
Hotschi

quote:

Hotschi, please let me know what you think once you have read it. My take on it is that Churchill was no different to the overwhelming majority
of his contemporaries - its the old problem of trying to judge people of yesteryear by the standards of today.

Finished Churchill's Empire and was very impressed by it. As I understood it, Winston adopted his views on race in his early years and clung to them - whatever they were- until his death. Whether he was "similar" or "worse" in this than his contemporaries; who am I to judge? He was a "children of his time". Many views and convictions acceptable back then are unacceptable today - and vice versa. I learned a lot about him - and as always, checking the notes, I ordered some more interesting books.

Started Churchill and Australia by Graham Freudenberg last night.

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 970
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/23/2013 10:56:32 PM   
Will_L_OLD

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

I love this book.

Didn't expect to like this one when it was passed on to me but enjoyed reading it.

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 971
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/24/2013 10:40:32 AM   
TulliusDetritus

A Confederacy of Dunces (John Kennedy Toole) with our friend Ignatius J. Reilly

This is the second time I read this hilarious book. Only published after the death -suicide- of the author: the book had been refused. Goes to show there are plenty of clowns.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/24/2013 11:42:45 AM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Will_L_OLD)
Post #: 972
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/25/2013 2:04:07 PM   
Queeg

Re-re-re-reading the Flashman series by the late great George MacDonald Fraser. Probably my all-time favorite series.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Just finnished reading Redcoat by Bernard Cornwell.

To bad that this is a stand alone novel since I really liked the setting in the American Revolutionary War.

Take a look at The Fort, another of his books set in the Revolution. Haven't read it myself but I've read virtually everything else he's written. Great writer.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Fort-Novel-Revolutionary-War/dp/B008SLBCL4

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 973
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/25/2013 3:23:08 PM   
Gilmer

Reading a Stephen Attebrook mystery by Jason Vail. Set in England in the time of Henry the 3rd. I enjoy reading these types of books.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Queeg)
Post #: 974
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/26/2013 2:29:44 PM   
fodder

The Last Dogfight by Martin Caidin

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 975
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/29/2013 6:57:04 PM   
Orm

Divide and Rule. The Partition of Africa, 1880-1914 by Henk Wesseling.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to fodder)
Post #: 976
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 12/29/2013 10:31:25 PM   
Hotschi

This title sounds very interesting, Orm. Please let me know what you think about it.

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 977
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/3/2014 7:29:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

I saw, quite on the off chance, that there is a book by Geirr H Haarr called The Gathering Storm (The Naval War in Northern Europe Sept 30 to April 40).

Having bought, read and loved this author's work on the naval war during the Norwegian Campaign - The German Invasion of Norway and Battle For Norway - I thought I would take a chance and buy it. It arrived today and from a quick glance through I have to say this looks like its going to be another very good read
warspite1

About a quarter of the way in and yes - despite a couple of annoying errors - I am finding this difficult to put down. I hope this guy writes more books!!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 978
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/3/2014 11:49:38 PM   
wodin

Besieged the Epic Battle for Cholm by J D Marks. Finally got my Xmas pressie from my Mum and Dad!! His books are so expensive..however Island of Fire is prob the best book I've ever read be it fact or fiction. Currently reading his book on Into Oblivion Pioneer Battalion 305 book I got as a gift from the author himself! Now I have this one aswell..love it.

(My Mum and Dad bought me Cholm in the summer as it was on sale at near half price, they've had hold of it until now)

http://www.amazon.com/Besieged-Epic-Battle-For-Cholm/dp/0975107690

Also see his books as an investment..he hasn't really the resources to do reprints and on going by his first book The leaping Horsemen they double or even triple in price.

< Message edited by wodin -- 1/4/2014 12:51:22 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 979
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/5/2014 9:49:41 PM   
Hotschi

Any recommendations for a good World War I history book?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 980
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/6/2014 7:29:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Any recommendations for a good World War I history book?
warspite1

If you want a general history of WWI then: The First World War, A Complete History - Martin Gilbert. This is a good introduction.

1914 Catastrophe - Max Hastings. This covers the war's first year. Very anti-British but a good read for the most part.

Castles of Steel - Robert K Massie. This is the dogs dangly bits of a book

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 981
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/6/2014 8:58:53 PM   
Max 86

WW1 book 'Guns of August' by Barbara Tuchman. All of her stuff is pretty good.

No problem Chief!

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 982
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/6/2014 11:36:55 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Johnny Reb...life of the commom conferate soldier.  Not a bad read.  And as always the Bible.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Max 86)
Post #: 983
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/7/2014 1:57:48 AM   
Jevhaddah

Sharpes Enema (sic) Yup Obidiah Hakeswill is back and he is a right PITA

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 984
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/7/2014 4:40:59 PM   
Hotschi

quote:

If you want a general history of WWI then: The First World War, A Complete History - Martin Gilbert. This is a good introduction.

1914 Catastrophe - Max Hastings. This covers the war's first year. Very anti-British but a good read for the most part.

Castles of Steel - Robert K Massie. This is the dogs dangly bits of a book

Thank you.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 985
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/7/2014 9:55:23 PM   
Rodwonder

I'm Reading Max Hastings Catastrophe 1914 and The Wolf at the moment.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 986
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2014 4:40:15 AM   
DanSez

I am reading Thunder at Twilight - Vienna 1913/1914 by Fredric Morton. While there are a couple of places I found myself reaching for the dictionary with the adjective choices, overall a very impressive immersion into a lost word of which I want to share this paragraph (opening of Chapter 12)

When thrust into a fresh expanse of future, the Viennese sought comfort in omens. They had a long established New Year's pastime. Into an ice bucket filled with cold champagne they would throw molten bits of lead, and then, with a pair of tongs, hold up each bit for interpretation. From the shape into which the lump congealed they would extract clues to thing to come. It was a game of fascinating ambiguities. Never had it been played more intensely than during the wee hours of that newest January first.

(note: January 1st, 1914)

A lot of social nuances, bits of gossip and the driving egos of major and mid-level players on this stage of histroy are all painted with a similar tone as the description above. Check it out.

(in reply to Rodwonder)
Post #: 987
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2014 3:35:30 PM   
Hotschi

This custom, called Bleigiessen, is still around today.

Still haven't settled for a WW I book. I'll probably start with reading Sleepwalkers first, then go for books about the war. Max Hastings... I've read a couple books by him already. Let's see whether Catastrophe is as anti-British as warspite1 says. Remembering the other books I've read, Hastings likes to point fingers, sometimes justified, and more than sometimes unjustified. I just mention his views about the Australians in the Pacific War, Churchill's strategies and Montgomery. According to one review of Catastropheat Amazon, Hastings calls the assassination of Franz Ferdinand a "quirky little incident". Okay...

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 988
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/10/2014 9:22:52 PM   
DanSez

Thanks, that would be interesting to witness.

Amongst other issues, the book really delves into how poorly Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie were treated, in life and in their death by the Royal Family. Another term I did not know before this "morganastic wife" And it seemed according to this narrative that Franz Joseph was almost relieved that Franz Ferdinand was assassinated - to somehow clear the stain of his willfull disregard of the old order.

A lot of interesting details I had not come across before. The overall drift of the work is what a sad tragic twist of fate, Franz Ferdinand being the main voice of peace with Serbia and for reform of the old order was murdered and used by forces from both sides determined to create the carnage that was sure to come.

For those who do not know a lot about the year and a half of troubles leading up to the ultimatum Austria-Hungry sent to Serbia (and why it was crafted and sent like it was), I recommend this book.

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 989
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/17/2014 8:42:37 PM   
warspite1

Managed to stumble across a copy of Third Axis Fourth Ally - all about the Romanian Armed Forces 1941-45. This looks goooooooood

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI