Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds Extended

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 1:54:56 AM   
Unforeseen

Is it alright if i upload this as part of my orange mod theme?

(in reply to LeFoureur)
Post #: 481
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 3:19:37 AM   
Inawordyes

I have to say, I really like this mod! It's like the essential, if-nothing-else-use-this-mod mod, haha. Do you have any plans to update it with more races any time soon, or is where it's at where it will stay barring any updates to coincide with tool-changing patches?

Distant Races

The self-titled Crown Prince of Crazy Plans.

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 482
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 3:53:26 AM   
Unforeseen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Inawordyes

I have to say, I really like this mod! It's like the essential, if-nothing-else-use-this-mod mod, haha. Do you have any plans to update it with more races any time soon, or is where it's at where it will stay barring any updates to coincide with tool-changing patches?

Keep an eye on this mod: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3353200 , it basically is intended to expand extended to the race cap. It was never finished, but the author has resumed work on it.

(in reply to Inawordyes)
Post #: 483
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 6:13:27 AM   
Inawordyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Unforeseen

quote:

Keep an eye on this mod: .matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3353200 , it basically is intended to expand extended to the race cap. It was never finished, but the author has resumed work on it.

Oh, yes, I've been keeping up on all the modding threads and had seen that one. I have been keeping an eye on it, mostly because I know that I'll be using it once it's updated since I like having as diverse of a universe as possible, but also because I am working on creating my own races to add to the game (I may possibly release them as a mod once they're in a basic, stable state) and that means more race biases to figure out, haha.

Distant Races

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 484
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 2:15:52 PM   
Haree78

quote:

The reason that I haven't added more races is because I am at a limit with what I can do to truly make the race unique and for the AI to be able to handle it's uniqueness.
If I can't make the race unique to play in some respect then I feel I'm not really adding to the game by adding another race, the races will start to feel generic and unnecessary.
I have enough art work and ideas about races sitting around, so I am not limited there.

I have offered several times these last few years for people to design their own races and I would find a way to put them in my mod but in all the times I have offered I have received exactly 1 submission. And at this point unless someone out there has an idea to make them unique compared to the 40 races we have I don't know a way to make them any different apart from aesthetically.

(in reply to Inawordyes)
Post #: 485
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 2:52:37 PM   
Haree78

I've added a patch for the mod for compatibility with the latest beta version of Distant Worlds Universe.

Distant Worlds Extended Universe Patch from 1.0 to 1.0.1

This will leave an erroneous directory called ->ylta under the designTemplates directory of the mod if you want to keep your mod directory clean you can delete it.
A full package of 1.0.1 will be uploaded later as well as package with the latest version of Das's Chrome UI mod.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 486
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 4:34:00 PM   
Azurian

Are you going to include the new design templates for the original races from 1.9.5.2?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 487
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 4:37:19 PM   
pycco

quote:

ORIGINAL: Haree78

Looks like you are right, I didn't spot it because it was putting the right weapon types because of research priorities, just not the right amount.
I will add a fix for the next game version where it looks like I will have to update lots of design templates anyway

For now they look like they are working pretty well even though they aren't exactly my design.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 488
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 5:09:22 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Azurian

Are you going to include the new design templates for the original races from 1.9.5.2?

Yep that is done, download links on the first page of this thread include 1.9.5.2 design templates.

(in reply to Azurian)
Post #: 489
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 6:04:17 PM   
StarLab

quote:

I've added a patch for the mod for compatibility with the latest beta version of Distant Worlds Universe.

Distant Worlds Extended Universe Patch from 1.0 to 1.0.1

This will leave an erroneous directory called ->ylta under the designTemplates directory of the mod if you want to keep your mod directory clean you can delete it.
A full package of 1.0.1 will be uploaded later as well as package with the latest version of Das's Chrome UI mod.

Is this patch friendly to previous saves? Meaning, I have a 1.9.5.2 game going right now with 1.0 of your patch - will 1.0.1 break my save?

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 490
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 6:08:13 PM   
Haree78

Totally friendly, may take some time for the changes to filter in (as the AI updates designs), but it shouldn't have any negative effects.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 491
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 6:19:52 PM   
StarLab

quote:

Totally friendly, may take some time for the changes to filter in (as the AI updates designs), but it shouldn't have any negative effects.

Cool, but might not matter now... lol

Playing the Ortain and my homeworld is now rebelling due to leadership change. I've lost many games in this situation.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series
DW2 Mortalen Preview
DW2 Ackdarian Preview

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 492
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/5/2014 9:45:07 PM   
Buio

quote:

Found that directory and deleted it after copying the files.

Thanks for the update with new designfiles.

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 493
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 6/6/2014 2:17:25 AM   
SeeRed15

Quick question. I've been trying to make my own races and I've been able to do everything up to the point of the troop/ship images. Just wondering how you made the individual ships and troops? Did you use a specific program, etc?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 494
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 6/6/2014 2:36:11 AM   
Haree78

With the troops I took the original images for troops and edited them to look different, mostly colour difference because there is a lot of variety already.
With the ships a lot of them were used from other people's work that are credited on the front page. Some of them are from images off the internet or other games, then they need to be formatted in size, the background erased, then (after the resize) a blue line for the engines.

I used a free program called Gimp for the image editing work.

(in reply to SeeRed15)
Post #: 495
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 6/6/2014 2:57:41 AM   
SeeRed15

Ok that makes sense. I've been looking for a program I can do this in and I just downloaded Gimp. Hopefully it'll help. Thanks!

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 496
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 6/6/2014 3:17:54 AM   
Zunos

Thanks, I'm having a blast with them. Are you going to do a pirate version of your mod, with more variety of pirates?

I havent seen all the back stories on your races, but what I've read I'm impressed. Have you thought about adding characters for each race, like the leaders, agents, etc?

< Message edited by Zunos -- 6/6/2014 4:21:19 AM >

(in reply to SeeRed15)
Post #: 497
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 6/6/2014 5:35:42 AM   
Haree78

What kind of variety can I bring to the pirates? I'm not sure, they already have all unique ship and base designs, and quite a few of the Extended races can be played as pirates. Did you have something else in mind?

I didn't add characters for a few reasons mainly. It's not really in keeping with the original game, and I wanted Extended to be the original game, just more variety. Also if I added a bunch of characters it will be them characters, every single time you play them, that seems it would get stale if you have a preference in race you always play. Me creating art work for a whole bunch of characters for 40 races isn't feasible so they wouldn't even feel much different than what you get now.

(in reply to Zunos)
Post #: 498
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/6/2014 5:40:02 AM   
Inawordyes

quote:

quote:

The reason that I haven't added more races is because I am at a limit with what I can do to truly make the race unique and for the AI to be able to handle it's uniqueness.
If I can't make the race unique to play in some respect then I feel I'm not really adding to the game by adding another race, the races will start to feel generic and unnecessary.
I have enough art work and ideas about races sitting around, so I am not limited there.

I have offered several times these last few years for people to design their own races and I would find a way to put them in my mod but in all the times I have offered I have received exactly 1 submission. And at this point unless someone out there has an idea to make them unique compared to the 40 races we have I don't know a way to make them any different apart from aesthetically.

I understand, sometimes diversity isn't so great when you're not really getting anything new. In regards to the submissions, which race was the submission? You mentioned it shortly before the release of the Universe update so it can only be one of the two Avian races, and my 50-50 gut feeling tells me that it's the Banoserit (well, actually it tells me it's the Yl'ta, haha, but I can't decide between the two and it's more likely in my eyes that the Banoserit was the submission that inspired you with its uniqueness to create the Avian RaceFamily and add the Yl'ta on top of that). And what exactly would you consider as adding something unique?

Distant Races

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 499
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 6/6/2014 5:46:12 AM   
Zunos

quote:

What kind of variety can I bring to the pirates? I'm not sure, they already have all unique ship and base designs, and quite a few of the Extended races can be played as pirates. Did you have something else in mind?

I didn't add characters for a few reasons mainly. It's not really in keeping with the original game, and I wanted Extended to be the original game, just more variety. Also if I added a bunch of characters it will be them characters, every single time you play them, that seems it would get stale if you have a preference in race you always play. Me creating art work for a whole bunch of characters for 40 races isn't feasible so they wouldn't even feel much different than what you get now.

For the pirates I meant the race image. The vanilla game ones I find kind of ugly and they seem to be the same old 4 types w/o very little variation. Thanks for responding

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 500
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/6/2014 5:47:27 AM   
Haree78

Other way around, Yl'ta was designed by PrismaticFlux who hasn't logged in to the forums since February so I guess he doesn't play any more lol.
I then designed the Banoserit after I saw what stuff was available through modding and thought of being able to make a fairly unique race with government type that requires you to keep a very high reputation and their scanner technology, I liked the idea of a race who's perk was they can see more of the Galaxy than others.

(in reply to Inawordyes)
Post #: 501
RE: Distant Worlds Extended 2.0.1 released 38 races - 6/6/2014 5:48:57 AM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zunos
For the pirates I meant the race image. The vanilla game ones I find kind of ugly and they seem to be the same old 4 types w/o very little variation. Thanks for responding

Pirates are hard coded to use them 4 images. You can change the images through modding, but all smugglers will look like the smuggler image etc.

(in reply to Zunos)
Post #: 502
RE: Distant Worlds Extended - 6/6/2014 9:57:23 AM   
Buio

quote:

ORIGINAL: necaradan666
Is there any reason that extended includes the default weapon graphics? Are all the included help files edited for the mod or are they just base game duplicates? I'd suggest slimming the package down if these files are not required eg I'd prefer not to have clutter overriding the graphical mods I installed to my base folder when only torpedo_8 is actually needed as part of the mod.

Oh, missed torpedo_8. I removed the weapon folder as I was using another mod. Well, now I copied just that file back. :)

(in reply to necaradan666)
Post #: 503
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 10:49:53 AM   
Unforeseen

I'm combining this to my other changes in my theme folder and i noticed sound file called "yorphaser". I wasn't aware you could set race specific sound effects, but will it cause any issues if i don't include this file?

Also i noticed that a torpedo 8 was mentioned, i do not see this in the included weapon file.

< Message edited by Unforeseen -- 6/6/2014 11:54:04 AM >

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 504
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 11:10:44 AM   
ASHBERY76

Those Lipid are horrific and should be nuked as standard policy.

Really they should be on exterminate policy with a big growth bonus modeling them taking over a host but they seem to be designed as friendly race?

I do not see them as friendly,lol.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 6/6/2014 12:11:32 PM >

(in reply to Unforeseen)
Post #: 505
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 11:14:36 AM   
Tcby

I really like the Banoserit! They're great fun to play, and their reliance on reputation is *great* for role playing. So thanks :)

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 506
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 11:19:22 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Those Lipid are horrific and should be nuked as standard policy...

I agree! Nuke them from orbit....only way to be sure!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 507
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 3:47:03 PM   
Haree78

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Those Lipid are horrific and should be nuked as standard policy.

Really they should be on exterminate policy with a big growth bonus modeling them taking over a host but they seem to be designed as friendly race?

I do not see them as friendly,lol.

Well they don't hurt the host, really, although a certain amount of 'free will' is lost, but the host won't really be aware of it. Imagine if there was a pill that actually made you healthier, happier, more satisfied with life, make you feel like you are in a job that you love etc. Would you take it? What if it was just infecting yourself with a parasite?

Well not a parasite really by definition, I guess symbiotic life form? I don't know the actual term.

< Message edited by Haree78 -- 6/6/2014 4:48:27 PM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 508
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 3:50:30 PM   
Haree78

@Unforeseen
Yes it will.

In modding you can set specific sound files to weapons now. Check components.txt.

@Tcby
I find them fun too ;)

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 509
RE: Distant Worlds Extended Universe 1.0.1 released 40 ... - 6/6/2014 6:18:46 PM   
Sithuk

Haree: I have read a few references to new ship designs in this thread. Have you created new ship design templates for the races in your mod? Are the shadows era custom ship designs still enabled, or has the engine moved to the ship design templates only? Does DW allow a modder to create and save custom ship designs for the AI to use? Or is it solely limited to setting the number of components to use on each design?

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Distant Worlds Extended Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI