Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/16/2014 6:49:15 AM   
nicwb

Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford - a bit slow but interesting when the novel moves from London drawing rooms to the western front. Ford served as an officer in the Welch Fusiliers and a lot of the observations and conversations seem to be drawn on that experience

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1111
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/22/2014 1:02:53 AM   
Chijohnaok2

I finished a short story (very short--49 pages): The Willows, by Algernon Blackwood.

It's a horror story published in 1907.

It's different from the modern horror stories you are used to seeing.

Best thing about it, there is a free version at Amazon.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 1112
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/22/2014 9:34:29 AM   
cpdeyoung

"Parade's End"

You won't regret that read. Great stuff.

Chuck

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 1113
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/22/2014 9:49:29 AM   
cpdeyoung

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

I just finnished rereading Slaget om Västeuropa : Flygkrig, strategi och politik sommaren 1940 (The Battle for Western Europe: The Air War, Strategy and Policy the summer of 1940) by Michael Tamelander.

To bad that his books does not seem to be translated to English.

Mr. Tamelander is a good wargamer, or at least he was back in the day when I used to play "Road to Victory", "Time of Fury", "Time of Wrath", etc. with him. I believe some of his books may be available in translation.

Chuck

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1114
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/22/2014 10:14:27 AM   
berto

Six Days in June: How Israel Won the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, by Eric Hammel

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 1115
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/22/2014 11:34:35 AM   
Gilmer

About to start Natchez Burning by Gregory Iles.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 1116
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/22/2014 7:20:35 PM   
Hotschi

Finished The Bombing War: Europe, 1939-1945 by Richard Overy - very impressed, and intersting to read.

Started George Southern's Poisonous Inferno; on 2nd December 1943, the Luftwaffe bombed the port of Bari and sank 17 ships. One ship in the harbour, the SS John Harvey, was loaded with - 100 tons of mustard gas bombs...

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1117
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/22/2014 8:24:48 PM   
warspite1

Coming toward the end of The Scramble For Africa - Its been enjoyable, if sometimes quite difficult read. The book could really do with more maps as the author would be talking about places and regions and I really had no clue as to where they were.

I really feel I could do with reading this book again, but am itching to get started on The Sleepwalkers. As I understand it this is a Pro-German view of the events leading up to WWI. I am firmly of the view the Germans were more responsible than any other country for the war, and so am interested in reading events from "their side".

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 1118
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/25/2014 11:22:43 PM   
DampSquib

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Tell me what you think of it..I read it a few months ago.
quote:

Sorry Wodin missed your reply.
Came looking for a recommendation for the sengoku period.
Caught the reply on the trundle back through here.

Matterhorn...superb book, gripped from start to finish.
Bureaucratic incompetence, racism, leeches...it has it all.
Along with A Rumor of War and The Cat From Hue, it is probably the most enjoyable Vietnam books i have read so far..still a plethora to go.

Read it huh, so any Vietnam recommendations yourself?

Reading at this time..The Tragedy of the Templars By Michael Haag.
Cheers Barkorn45 for that recommendation.

< Message edited by DampSquib -- 5/26/2014 12:23:07 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1119
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 10:02:20 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Coming toward the end of The Scramble For Africa - Its been enjoyable, if sometimes quite difficult read. The book could really do with more maps as the author would be talking about places and regions and I really had no clue as to where they were.

I really feel I could do with reading this book again, but am itching to get started on The Sleepwalkers. As I understand it this is a Pro-German view of the events leading up to WWI. I am firmly of the view the Germans were more responsible than any other country for the war, and so am interested in reading events from "their side".

Ordering The Scramble For Africa now. I was close to ordering The Sleepwalkers as well but I decided to wait until I hear what you think of it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1120
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 10:38:28 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Ordering The Scramble For Africa now. I was close to ordering The Sleepwalkers as well but I decided to wait until I hear what you think of it.
warspite1

I know you have read some stuff previously on a similar topic. I think you will enjoy this. This book gives - in one volume - a really good insight into what happened, when and why during that 30-or-so year period at the end of the nineteenth century.

One of the many things I find extremely interesting is that, when people sneeringly talk today about Empires - and particularly the British Empire (probably because it was the largest) the view is usually one that Britain and other such empire powers, were a bunch of imperialists, desperate to grab colonies and territory - either at the expense of the indiginous population or a.n.other imperial power (or both) - chiefly for the sake of power and resources.

What is clear is that the truth was often nothing like as simple as that. Certainly many of Her Majesty's (Victoria) Governments (particularly under Gladstone) were anything but imperialists. Colonies often came about by accident, or in order to defend other territories or in order to $%^& off another power - Bismarck was very good at that game! And yes, even in order to civilise and better the lot of the native (Livingstone).

Few people today believe that Empires were right (i.e. imposing your will and rule onto people who probably don't want you there is fundamentally wrong) but as with most things in life, the truth is a lot more complicated than people like to think.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1121
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 11:03:31 AM   
wodin

DampSquid..best Vietnam novel I've ever read is 13th Valley by John M. Del Vecchio

LINK

Fields of Fire by J Webb is a good one aswell.

LINK

One of my favourite accounts is Dak To by E Murphy (reads like a novel\film).

LINK

Another superb account is Steel my Soldiers Hearts by D Hackworth...amazing book.

LINK

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/29/2014 12:09:49 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1122
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 12:32:24 PM   
barkman44

"The Retreat"Hitlers First Defeat.About the advance to and retreat from Moscow.
Am reading rather quickly ie well written.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1123
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 12:48:03 PM   
berto

The Yom Kippur War: The Epic Encounter That Transformed the Middle East, by Abraham Rabinovich

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to barkman44)
Post #: 1124
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 4:17:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I know you have read some stuff previously on a similar topic. I think you will enjoy this. This book gives - in one volume - a really good insight into what happened, when and why during that 30-or-so year period at the end of the nineteenth century.

One of the many things I find extremely interesting is that, when people sneeringly talk today about Empires - and particularly the British Empire (probably because it was the largest) the view is usually one that Britain and other such empire powers, were a bunch of imperialists, desperate to grab colonies and territory - either at the expense of the indiginous population or a.n.other imperial power (or both) - chiefly for the sake of power and resources.

What is clear is that the truth was often nothing like as simple as that. Certainly many of Her Majesty's (Victoria) Governments (particularly under Gladstone) were anything but imperialists. Colonies often came about by accident, or in order to defend other territories or in order to $%^& off another power - Bismarck was very good at that game! And yes, even in order to civilise and better the lot of the native (Livingstone).

Few people today believe that Empires were right (i.e. imposing your will and rule onto people who probably don't want you there is fundamentally wrong) but as with most things in life, the truth is a lot more complicated than people like to think.

warspite1

Ormster I will let you know on The Sleepwalkers in due course. Almost finished Scramble - on the last section now, starting with the Germans in German Southwest Africa (modern day Namibia).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1125
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 4:33:36 PM   
zakblood

a book in the series from raymond e feist Magician's End, a what a great series it's been as well

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1126
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 5:12:10 PM   
Hotschi

Finished Poisonous Inferno by George Southern, about the 2nd December 1943 Luftwaffe air raid on the Italian Adriatic port of Bali. George Southern was there at the time, serving as a gunner on HMS Zetland, a Type II Hunt-class destroyer, and was involved in rescuing survivors.

What makes this raid so unique is that one ship involved, the Liberty-ship John Harvey, carried among its mixed cargo a load of mustard gas bombs. Two other ships, the Liberty-ships Lyman Abbott and Samuel J. Tilden, also carried a deckload of mustard gas canisters. John Harvey was sunk during the raid - she exploded - and the mustard gas, in liquid form, contaminated the surrounding water in the harbor together with fuel oil. And all this greasy stuff contaminated survivors swimming in the water. The existence of mustard gas in Bari was subsequently classified by the British and American authorities.

A interesting book (although not the only one) about this subject, perhaps a little vague about the larger picture, but it gives a very good first-person account by someone who actally was himself involved - sadly the e-book version contains no maps or photographs.

Started reading South East Asian Minorities in the Wartime Japanese Empire by Paul H. Kratoska (editor).

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 1127
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/29/2014 6:11:30 PM   
Orm

quote:

Ormster I will let you know on The Sleepwalkers in due course. Almost finished Scramble - on the last section now, starting with the Germans in German Southwest Africa (modern day Namibia).

Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1128
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/30/2014 1:52:11 PM   
nate25

In Deadly Combat - A German Soldier's Memoir Of The Eastern Front
Gottlob Herbert Biderman

A good read about a "mustang" in the Wehrmacht. An infantry story (132.Infanterie Div.), as opposed to the usual accounts of the glamour formations.

I have a subtle and cunning plan.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1129
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 5/30/2014 4:15:18 PM   
wodin

His trilogy starting with Magician are up there as the best fantasy books I've read.

@nate..That is the first German memoir I ever read.
quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

a book in the series from raymond e feist Magician's End, a what a great series it's been as well

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 1130
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/1/2014 11:59:29 PM   
DanSez

The Battle for Singapore - The True Story of the Greatest Catastrophe of World War II
By Peter Thompson
ISBN 978-0-7499-5099-6

Interesting read and gives a good look at the political infighting behind the scenes.
Percival was certainly the wrong man at the wrong time, but he was not by a long shot the only one at fault. The governor-general Sir Robert Brooke-Popham waffled on the decision to move units into proper blocking positions on Dec 6-8. The Army and Air Force commanders rarely got along. Aussies dislike the British. The funding for defense had been cut all the way to Churchill as Exchequer in the 20's.

Check it out

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1131
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/2/2014 12:41:05 AM   
CGGrognard

Tank Commander: From The Fall of France to The Defeat of Germany

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 1132
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/2/2014 11:02:09 PM   
Gilmer

Finished Natchez Burning and am now starting Dominion by C. J. Sansom.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 1133
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/3/2014 12:01:24 AM   
Zorch

Vienna 1814, or how to make love and peace at the same time.

It was the Tsar who insisted Napoleon be sent to Elba...I did not know.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 1134
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/3/2014 6:24:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

I have read through Heavy Metal some time ago. After that I had read few volumes Berserk. Now I'm reading The Good Soldiers. After that more Berserk, then Thank you for your service. And I'm also reading All quiet on the western front, but infrequently and less than handful of pages at a time.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 6/3/2014 7:25:49 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1135
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/4/2014 4:41:05 PM   
DampSquib

quote:

DampSquid..best Vietnam novel I've ever read is 13th Valley by John M. Del Vecchio

LINK

Fields of Fire by J Webb is a good one aswell.

LINK

One of my favourite accounts is Dak To by E Murphy (reads like a novel\film).

LINK

Another superb account is Steel my Soldiers Hearts by D Hackworth...amazing book.

LINK

Cheers for the recommendations Wodin much appreciated.
Three ordered the other Fields of Fire i have already read....
After i checked back through here it wasn't that long ago.
Those three should keep me busy for a time :)
Thank you.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1136
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/8/2014 11:01:43 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

First 100 pages in. Its clear where the author is going but that's fine. Its a very readable book and its good to get a deeper understanding of the background.

I would be interested if anyone knows of a good book covering Balkan history, the retrenchment of the Ottoman Empire etc.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1137
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/8/2014 11:47:48 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Wow! I completely agree, wodin. It's been 20 years since I've read it, but it was a powerful and moving experience.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 1138
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/27/2014 9:53:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Hey Ormster - did it arrive, have you started it yet, and what do you think?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1139
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 6/28/2014 10:25:19 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Hey Ormster - did it arrive, have you started it yet, and what do you think?

Yes, it did arrive. But I ordered a lot of books for the summer so I have not yet begun reading it.

I am currently reading a thriller and a book about the American Indian wars.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI